• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.
These latest updates have really ruined the game on console. There is 0% chance you can do anything but lose in solo play. Teams that have even the smallest amount of teamwork utterly steamroll randoms.

I think I'm kind of done with this game. Console players are so bad.

adamy

Banned
These latest updates have really ruined the game on console. There is 0% chance you can do anything but lose in solo play. Teams that have even the smallest amount of teamwork utterly steamroll randoms.

Make friends

It's not that hard

If you're good you'll get hella friend requests. Or just send them out if you fit well with someone

I won't play comp if our group isn't at least 4 peeps

90% of my comp play is 6 group, and met them all in game

Make friends

It's not that hard

If you're good you'll get hella friend requests

Most of the people I play with on console don't talk or just complain about everybody while they never group up or pair ult.

So many games getting gold eliminations with zenyatta. So dumb.

adamy

Banned
Most of the people I play with on console don't talk or just complain about everybody while they never group up or pair ult.

Find those one offs that killed it each match and friend them

Over time you'll get a decent network

Don't be shy, you'll both ultimately benefit unless you suck

But yeah I play on console and solo comp is retarded. 5-6 team on mic is the way to go.

ISOM

It's hard to carry games as healer. If you want to climb you gotta add tank or dps to your rotation.

Gorillaz

It's not a console player thing it's just that people think there soldier 76 is great when it's not glevwn getting medals for Elim

This is the game in general. Too many "b-but I carry as dps".

adamy

Banned

Just to clarify, are there recent console targeted updates that I may not be aware of?

Gorillaz

I hate people that think this even when we lose. You didn't carry shit if we lost
Ol dunking on kids at the Y but think they will start in a NBA ass dudes. Terrible. I also love the ones that won't kill the hero they can easy counter...like phara to solider. How the fuck you not looking up.

AbaFadi

Banned
Make friends

It's not that hard

If you're good you'll get hella friend requests. Or just send them out if you fit well with someone

When I started playing ranked in season 2 I would get friend requests and messages to group up every other game. If you're doing good in your games consistently you will get noticed for sure. I think the best way to rank up is 2 or 3 man groups. Your elo gain isn't as good when you run 4+ groups.

adamy

Banned
I play all three when I soloq. Feel like everybody should be able to do that.

This is beauty of forming a decent team

Each person can focus on one specific role and allow for maybe two flex players who are just dope as fuk and can get away with being the flex to counter certain situations

Omnic Lab had a great podcast recently about how pros really just play 1 hero with that rare flex on the team. They outline the many, many benefits

adamy

Banned
When I started playing ranked in season 2 I would get friend requests and messages to group up every other game. If you're doing good in your games consistently you will get noticed for sure. I think the best way to rank up is 2 or 3 man groups. Your elo gain isn't as good when you run 4+ groups.
Elo gain?

Lyng

Ol dunking on kids at the Y but think they will start in a NBA ass dudes. Terrible. I also love the ones that won't kill the hero they can easy counter...like phara to solider. How the fuck you not looking up.

You cant expect a soldier to easily counter a Pharah, especially if she is not shit.

Usually there will also be a pocket mercy nearby or a Zen.

Anne

This is beauty of forming a decent team

Each person can focus on one specific role and allow for maybe two flex players who are just dope as fuk and can get away with being the flex to counter certain situations

Omnic Lab had a great podcast recently about how pros really just play 1 hero with that rare flex on the team. They outline the many, many benefits

That's kind of funny because the trend right now is all the best players can play around half the cast at any given moment. It used to be like you said, but that's changed because it wasn't good enough. The exceptions are Rein/Lucio players right now, but even then the best of those guys can switch onto DPS at any moment. See Harryhook for example.

adamy

Banned
You cant expect a soldier to easily counter a Pharah, especially if she is not shit.

Lol one reason I'm glad I don't play soldier. People expect soldier to wipe pharah as soon as it's called out. Good pharmercys are a headache and I'm glad I don't have a team relying on me to take care of it

adamy

Banned
That's kind of funny because the trend right now is all the best players can play around half the cast at any given moment. It used to be like you said, but that's changed because it wasn't good enough. The exceptions are Rein/Lucio players right now, but even then the next of those guys can switch onto DPS at any moment. See Harryhook for example.

They reviewed the pro scene in the podcast but it was released Jan 26th, not sure how much has changed since

Edit: also the overbuff meta reports and podcast have pretty much confirmed what I'm saying...there is very, very little swapping

Plesiades

I've been getting IND spikes since the Year of the Rooster patch. It makes you freeze in place randomly, but everything else keeps moving. Really annoying.

Gorillaz

He doesn't have to do it all himself but he is a good counter to her and in cases where a certain character can shut down another it does help to have them realize it tho. Alot of time they don't tho.

ISOM

I agree with that. My Zen has been the main reason for my climb out of plat. But there are just some games that your dps or tanks are doing nothing. I've literally turned entire games around getting off support and going to Zarya. It just makes it easier to climb imo especially at the lower levels.

adamy

Banned
He doesn't have to do it all himself but he is a good counter to her and in cases where a certain character can shut down another it does help to have them realize it tho. Alot of time they don't tho.
I ain't even mad if a soldier pops his ult solely to wipe a good pharmercy combo and nothing else

Ambient80

You on Xbox? I'd be happy to join up, maybe start next season and do placement matches together. I typically play Zarya, Zen, Mercy, McCree, Sombra, and Lucio. Trying to get better with Tracer. I'll be first to admit I'm not a spectacular pro player, but I enjoy it.

Invite is for anyone, btw. Gamer tag is my user name, but 70 instead of 80. I'm on my first season now so kinda low (silver, almost gold).

ohkay

Lol one reason I'm glad I don't play soldier. People expect soldier to wipe pharah as soon as it's called out. Good pharmercys are a headache and I'm glad I don't have a team relying on me to take care of it
If it's pharmercy, it definitely takes more than just a soldier to take out since that's essentially a 2v1

adamy

Banned
If it's pharmercy, it definitely takes more than just a soldier to take out since that's essentially a 2v1

Sometimes it's true, like I said I just feel bad for soldier when the team insta starts flaming and yelling at him for not taking care of the pharah when in reality the pharah has a mercy glued to her and maybe even a healing orb

Having said that, unfortunately soldier is the best answer to that problem we got

Anne

They reviewed the comp scene in the podcast but it was released Jan 26th, not sure how much as changed since

Edit: also the overbuff meta reports and podcast have pretty much confirmed what I'm saying...there is very, very little swapping

It's more based around the very tippy top teams finding success with larger hero pools. Like the transition is happening. The last podcast Monte and DoA did talked about it some. Teams like EnVyUs, Cloud9, LW Blue, Lunatic Hai, Misfits, etc. have had their rosters tuned more towards flexibility lately and have shown easy adaptability in matches. There are still gaps in these teams obviously, but it is definitely the way the pro scene is heading.

I think it's just impractical to have these small hero pools when making rosters or when adjustments need to happen. Again, whenever EnVyUs had roster issues they could just shuffle people around and add Mickey because everybody on that team is mad diverse. Yeah, they lack Genji/Pharah atm, but even then Taimou, Harry, and even Mickey are working on picking up that slack. It's the same thing for teams that can switch around every time a patch drops.

I think the ideal team atm is just have 3~ peeps that can flex most off tanks and DPS, A support that can flex all the main supports, a Lucio that can flex off Lucio into tank/DPS at least in a limited way, and a dedicated Rein that at least can flex to anything in the tank category.

Whenever Lucio/Rein become not required I wanna see who is actually good in the pro scene and who just happened to be in the right hero position. I know for a fact there are players on those heroes in pro teams that might not survive that transition.

adamy

Banned
It's more based around the very tippy top teams finding success with larger hero pools. Like the transition is happening. The last podcast Monte and DoA did talked about it some. Teams like EnVyUs, Cloud9, LW Blue, Lunatic Hai, Misfits, etc. have had their rosters tuned more towards flexibility lately and have shown easy adaptability in matches. There are still gaps in these teams obviously, but it is definitely the way the pro scene is heading.

I think it's just impractical to have these small hero pools when making rosters or when adjustments need to happen. Again, whenever EnVyUs had roster issues they could just shuffle people around and add Mickey because everybody on that team is mad diverse. Yeah, they lack Genji/Pharah atm, but even then Taimou, Harry, and even Mickey are working on picking up that slack. It's the same thing for teams that can switch around every time a patch drops.

I think the ideal team atm is just have 3~ peeps that can flex most off tanks and DPS, A support that can flex all the main supports, a Lucio that can flex off Lucio into tank/DPS at least in a limited way, and a dedicated Rein that at least can flex to anything in the tank category.

Whenever Lucio/Rein become not required I wanna see who is actually good in the pro scene and who just happened to be in the right hero position. I know for a fact there are players on those heroes in pro teams that might not survive that transition.

In what universe will rein/lucio ever not be locked picks?

Edit: keep in mind lucio has pretty much been chilling alone in the top tier in every meta report I've read in a long long time

Filben

How do you guys deal with Symmetras shield generator in the little backroom of Temple of Anubis's second objective point when it's flooded with sentry turrets? Going in with Winston and destroying all turrets is easy, but I die in 3 seconds when Symmetra comes around (among other enemies). Any advice? Our whole team didn't stand a chance.

Right now I think it's best to simply ignore and rather deal with additional 75 HP instead of wasting time and resources on that generator.

Anne

In what universe will rein/lucio ever not be locked picks?

Well, if we're talking pro scene you're making investments for at least the next couple years in this game. There is no telling what the game will look like in that timespan considering new heroes and patches.

kirblar

Casually watching the APEX stuff before bed, I've been pleasantly surprised by the variety of non-Support characters you see. Nearly everyone has seen some play, it's just that they clearly need more Tank/Support characters in game to help diversify things. (pretty much the exact same problem HOTS had for forever.)

adamy

Banned
How do you guys deal with Symmetras shield generator in the little backroom of Temple of Anubis's second objective point when it's flooded with sentry turrets? Going in with Winston and destroying all turrets is easy, but I die in 3 seconds when Symmetra comes around (among other enemies). Any advice? Our whole team didn't stand a chance.

Right now I think it's best to simply ignore and rather deal with additional 75 HP instead of wasting time and resources on that generator.

As a lucio main I wait for whenever I need to pop my ult on that point, hit speed boost, boop one side which can easily wipe 3 in one boop given the size of the area, pop out enter other side get what I can switch to heal and pump it up

adamy

Banned
Well, if we're talking pro scene you're making investments for at least the next couple years in this game. There is no telling what the game will look like in that timespan considering new heroes and patches.

True, however, at this time I don't think there is a single reason not to believe that they will be absolutely necessary going forward. Obviously, as new information comes out that will change. But at this time, they are necessary and will continue to be until anything major changes. And currently there are zero even rumors to suggest anything otherwise

Jellie

Sometimes it's better to team wipe them then destroy it while capping or pushing the payload. An extra 75hp does not do much if you use a certain ults together. Eg whole hog and graviton will rip through their health regardless.
Sometimes it's true, like I said I just feel bad for soldier when the team insta starts flaming and yelling at him for not taking care of the pharah when in reality the pharah has a mercy glued to her and maybe even a healing orb

Having said that, unfortunately soldier is the best answer to that problem we got
Ana is best I think. No damage drop off at range and 3 shots. 2 shots with discord.

one of the issues with solo queue tho is, I will get people who are compromising and will play other roles....

Problem is, alot of people are typically only good with 1 or 2 roles (and alot of times 1-2 characters), so you get a healer main who ends up playing tank for the sake of the team, and ends up doing terrible. or vice versa....and the worst is when someone who can't play soldier well, switches to soldier for the sake of the "team"

While there are people who are good with all 3 roles, alot of people are only really good with 1 or 2 roles.

Anyone else getting random but huge FPS drops on all maps? (PC)

Yes actually at the start of matches game will stutter like hell, something that never happened before, not sure if an update is responsible for this, but it can get really annoying.

There is a lot of shitty people in the game jfc, why give up after losing defense on second point in extra time, like really why are you even playing people.

Anne

True, however, at this time I don't think there is a single reason not to believe that they will be absolutely necessary going forward. Obviously, as new information comes out that will change. But at this time, they are necessary and will continue to be until anything major changes. And currently there are zero even rumors to suggest anything otherwise

I mean it's unlikely it changes soon. I'm just saying when it does change, the players that are ready are going to be worth a ton while those that aren't will completely sink their team. This already happened with DPS/Flex players when the meta shifted towards single DPS and trip tank for awhile. The DPS players that could flex tank or play both projectile/hitscan became the DPS gods, while the more specialized dudes started getting cut from rosters.

You can learn a lot about he history of other shit like this from MOBAs too. They went through these periods way back when Dota 2/LoL started out where the old heavily specialized players got phased out over time and most everybody has some way to fit onto whatever roster when things changed.

adamy

Banned
Sometimes it's better to team wipe them then destroy it while capping or pushing the payload. An extra 75hp does not do much if you use a certain ults together. Eg whole hog and graviton will rip through their health regardless.

It's not 75 hp it's 75 shield. Huge difference because those slippery fucks can run away and recharge

Shield generator can be a game changer and def needs to be destroyed immediately

That annoying soldier went from 200 to 275, tracer becomes a nightmare, etc

No_Style

It's not about wiping Pharah off the map when you're a Soldier 76; it's about keeping her from wrecking your team by keeping her at bay. If you're keeping a Pharmercy preoccupied by peppering her with shots any time she's in the air, then you're doing your job well. Having them waste two characters vs you means that Mercy isn't healing anyone else if she's preoccupied with keeping Pharah in the sky.

The best feeling is when the opposing Pharah switches off when you've only actually killed her once or twice.

Jellie

It's not 75 hp it's 75 shield. Huge difference because those slippery fucks can run away and recharge

Shield generator can be a game changer and def needs to be replaced immediately

Yeah it's an ult. Use an ult to deal with the effects of their ult. What can they do if you do an ult that will wipe them? Maybe a couple survive but you should outnumber and kill them.

Or just go sombra and one clip it

adamy

Banned
It's going to be interesting if meta changes to a point where rein and Lucio aren't always "needed" picks especially rein

I feel like lucio is even more needed

Okay so you got someone playing ana...tell me an ideal composition that does not involve lucio

Meanwhile hog/Zarya comp can eliminate the need for rein, although it's less than ideal

Anyone else getting random but huge FPS drops on all maps? (PC)
I was getting 30-40 fps out of nowhere and then saw a post on Reddit that said a good fix is to go to Bnet settings and set bnet to minimize to system tray once a game starts. This helped immensely for me and now I get a consistent 60-70 fps across all maps.

adamy

Banned
Yeah it's an ult. Use an ult to deal with the effects of their ult. What can they do if you do an ult that will wipe them? Maybe a couple survive but you should outnumber and kill them.

Or just go sombra and one clip it
Team wipes rarely happen at the higher levels. They did way back in the day, but ever since ult charging got adjusted a long time ago that shit does not happen.

This is absolutely true given what you're saying, which is exhange an ult for an ult and clear their team. No way in hell youre killing 4-6 heros without stacking ults

Especially not when they got a shield generator up

kirblar

I mean it's unlikely it changes soon. I'm just saying when it does change, the players that are ready are going to be worth a ton while those that aren't will completely sink their team. This already happened with DPS/Flex players when the meta shifted towards single DPS and trip tank for awhile. The DPS players that could flex tank or play both projectile/hitscan became the DPS gods, while the more specialized dudes started getting cut from rosters.

You can learn a lot about he history of other shit like this from MOBAs too. They went through these periods way back when Dota 2/LoL started out where the old heavily specialized players got phased out over time and most everybody has some way to fit onto whatever roster when things changed.
Yup yup. HOTS is having this transition happen right now due to the # of viable comps broadening over time as the hero pool has expanded massively. Being a specialist w/ a limited pool means you're easy to counter.

The issue in OW is that there's only 4 healers, and only two of those do AOE healing as part of their base kit. They just need a lot more supports who offer competition to each other, but it's going to be a long time till they get there.

Shield generator can be a game changer and def needs to be destroyed immediately

A team last night in the APEX league 6-person suicide dived the enemy's Shield Generator in order to disable it for their next push- worked out really well for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom