• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
A pro Genji encourages everyone to pub him, but why doesn't this have a correlative effect as well? :(

Who is the standout pro player or streamer that does insane plays/shots with Junkrat?

Seagull is Genji
Ster is Pharah
Iddqd is McCree
Moonmoon is Reinhardt
Miro is Winston
??? is Junkrat

Well that was back last summer, and it was a problem only because of hero stacking. Moreover, nobody considered Symmetra's turrets to need a nerf. So they're only getting rebalanced now, long after they were a real problem

Additionally, there are heroes who are problematic to fight against on console, such as Pharah, Tracer, and arguably the new Symmetra, but those have never been looked at.

And honestly the K&M problem is a bit of a boogeyman - there may be some players who do play like that but I feel it is nowhere near as widespread as people think.

K&M?

Who is the standout pro player or streamer that does insane plays/shots with Junkrat?

Seagull is Genji
Ster is Pharah
Iddqd is McCree
Moonmoon is Reinhardt
Miro is Winston
??? is Junkrat

I don't follow streams, so I wouldn't know. Pro gameplay is too disorienting for me to follow. I only watch Lucio stuff because I like to pretend I can do it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Seagull actually. He used to stream a lot of junkrat. Dunno about now.

Chro I heard is pretty good but I dunno if he streams.

Mangachu loves bringing out a junkrat. Tviq used to like bringing him out.

Seagull is the only one that really brought out Junkrat in Competitive before he was deemed ass tier. I guess it would be him. Also, Genji is arguably most iconic for Afreeca Blue's Arhan.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
And honestly the K&M problem is a bit of a boogeyman - there may be some players who do play like that but I feel it is nowhere near as widespread as people think.

It's less boogeyman, just not as widespread. Yes, it is a real issue and not a made up one but in turn it is not ruining every game. I play both Console and PC Overwatch and when going up the ranks you can definitely notice the extremely enhanced aim from certain players. The simple solution is for them to just allow native support. I'll leave it at that, as this conversation has gotten people banned and threads closed. We will see what the dev team does regarding the problem.

Edit: Thanks for the answers on pro junkrat players, I'm going to check some of these guys out.

Paltheos

The conclusion of LG vs Hammers is dumb. Why do teams insist on attacking these Zarya shields from such a distance? I understand LG was already firing at the Rein shield for the first charge, but they def. continued firing at Zarya herself after that and just fed her. Does not firing mean risking losing the shield war?

Venfayth

I'm probably not the first person to do this, but I thought it's useful and it's nice to share.

If you want to practice sniping against actual character models instead of those dumb robots with huge heads at the practice range you can go into a custom game set to Skirmish and stand in your spawn. Add a bunch of bots and they will mindlessly run to you and try to kill you, they make pretty good aiming dummies.

gzyaXva.gif

Anne

Does not firing mean risking losing the shield war?

Basically, yeah. At some point you just assume something is shielded for a reason and Zarya has tons of charge anyways. It's a bit dependent on the fight and how teams want to place their Zarya, but in general you don't have time to let things run around with shields on them.

If you think you can kill Zarya you should always shoot her personal shield. Charge doesn't matter if she is dead. Even if you can't kill her, if you can force her out the way that's usually fine.

Hmmm, should I do my placements and play a bit of S4 before Zelda on Friday, or just take a break for a bit and play S4 after beating that?

Too many good god damn games out and coming out!

I'm probably not the first person to do this, but I thought it's useful and it's nice to share.

If you want to practice sniping against actual character models instead of those dumb robots with huge heads at the practice range you can go into a custom game set to Skirmish and stand in your spawn. Add a bunch of bots and they will mindlessly run to you and try to kill you, they make pretty good aiming dummies.

gzyaXva.gif

You can also set it to where its headshots only for damage if you want to practice that specifically

Antiwhippy

Actually one of the weird thing about that is I've noticed that KR overwatch tries to deny her charge as much as possible. You'll see genjis like WhoRU not even trying to burn her bubble down if it's not needed. I think it makes sense because KR zaryas are straight up murderers. Hoon and Zunba are inline with some of the best zaryas I've ever seen.

People also forget but back when miro played zarya more Eng casters called him one of the best zaryas they've ever seen.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Curious about something, are their hacks in the game. Been noticing an uptick of groups with low level Widows who seem to be tracking your movements abnormally well in replays. Basically, it reminds of wall hacks from TF2 and CS. When you're turning corners from opposites of the map from you're team and they are already waiting without infrared. It could always be bad luck, but 3 different groups had the same result.

Anne

KR Zaryas tend to position differently and play different roles depending on the team. Hoon from Meta Athena plays a DPS , frontline heavy Zarya. Approaching those is a bit weird, but LH is a good example. They are a very mobile team and just move and play around it. Denying those types of Zarya players is more important, and it's way more common in KR than in NA.

EnVyUs run Zarya a lot differently. Thanks to their bad DPS hero pool they are kinda forced to. Just let her sit somewhere towards the back or middle and farm ult/charge looking fo rthe all in. That's more typical of NA. (I also think this is wrong but oh well)

Zunba from LH is a good mix of the two. Since his team is stupidly mobile and has very aggressive dives he has to blow shield CD a lot more on zoning and getting people through things rather than directly fighting.

A few Korean casters, analysts, players have talked about the differences in major Zarya players before. It's pretty neat to look at.

Antiwhippy

I actually just think that envyus just don't really have the hero pool to take full advantage of a zarya. Harryhook can run reaper which can make good use of bubbles but then you have to run reaper. Otherwise it's just bubbling cocco as he charges in but he's not the best aggro rein either even if his passive play is pretty good.

Which is why I'm kinda eh on people bashing mickie because really, it probably kinda sucks to play zarya in envyus because both DPS have hero pools that favours long range pick off. He did do a few dumb plays though.

Majine

Banned
This is on the stupider side of requests, but it'd be pretty cool if they made emojis out of every character and replaced ":)" etc. in the chat. Would probably be harder for say Bastion than Tracer, but hey, imagination!

I agree with you that balance =/= pick rate, but I think some heroes stand out to an offensive degree right now. Ana and Reinhardt are probably #1 and #2 for me.

It's not so much that some of the pickrates are low (which is problematic), but that some are extremely high.

Rein's pickrate is so high because there's no alternative to him. Though on the other hand, just adding a "second Rein" wouldn't really do much other than split the pick rate between the two in a similar fashion to McCree/76 (as one is better than the other due to balance changes) or, worse, force teams to use both at once. I honestly don't know how to balance Reinhardt without making him completely useless, he seems to be one of those characters you can't balance to fall somewhere into the middle because his mechanics are so powerful on their own, but he becomes completely shit if you overnerf him. Lucio is in a similar boat, really. You can make Lucio utter shite and he'd still be picked often cause speedboost is just so absolutely valuable, so the only way to reduce Lucio's pick rate is to take speedboost away from him (or nerf it so hard that it's not worth bringing Lucio), but then he won't be picked anymore.

Blizzard

Banned
Why have they still not fixed the mystery heroes random pick order? 3 genjis on the other team. Our team gets 3 mercies. The 3 mercies die, and are replaced by 3 lucios.

I have to believe the odds of that happening are EXTREMELY small, especially since it happens virtually every time I play mystery heroes. Every time I think "this will be a fun, relaxed mode" and nope. :(

One could argue it's theoretically possible, but I'd argue it happens far too often if you do the math.

Blues1990

Why have they still not fixed the mystery heroes random pick order? 3 genjis on the other team. Our team gets 3 mercies. The 3 mercies die, and are replaced by 3 lucios.

I have to believe the odds of that happening are EXTREMELY small, especially since it happens virtually every time I play mystery heroes. Every time I think "this will be a fun, relaxed mode" and nope. :(

One could argue it's theoretically possible, but I'd argue it happens far too often if you do the math.

For fun, we all jokingly selected Widowmaker, but not only did we all spawn as her, we continued to spawn as Widow until the last 10 seconds of the match. :/

Uploaded a video of my awful, awful lag with the GAF group tonight. Put up the whole match, but right here's where it got the worst. Proof that gold medals really don't mean squat because all I did was hang around the payload with healing up and try not to die for most of the match and I still got 2 golds.

So basically pro Lucio strats = have bad internet.

ISOM

Hero stacking is a serious problem with mystery heroes. The mode would be 10x better if it didn't happen.

My main issue with mystery heroes is that 90% of the time I get Hanzo or Widow. :/ I had a game where I got respawned as either like 10 times in a row, and like 5 or 6 times as Widow consecutively.

BigDug13

Seagull is Genji
Ster is Pharah
Iddqd is McCree
Moonmoon is Reinhardt
Miro is Winston
??? is Junkrat

Seems like the only time Seagull might pick Junk these days is on Gibraltar defense.

Anne

Just had a Junkrat on my team with analog movement that would only slowwalk into the enemy team. The next level of feeding is here.

Just played a QP game where we started with four ppl, then one quit, then somebody joined, then another quit...and this sorta thing happened till nobody originally on the team but me was there and everyone else was backfilled. And somehow...we won?

Soo weird. Meanwhile I was just Lucio, so I was sorta just skating and healing trying to be happy and spread good vibes.

Antiwhippy

C9 needs major redemption from their last match. People still saying Clown 9 in Twitch chat lol.

TBF, they didn't start calling them that just from the last match. They've called them that since forever.

Going to be hard though against Uncia. One of the best reins in the world with Panker, Birdring is an amazing dps and dnce is a great flex also.

Antiwhippy

Despite everything, there's still nothing more pogchamp-worthy to me than seeing a mccree go off.

Also I love how bubbly is so constantly happy.

Mistle

Hero stacking is a serious problem with mystery heroes. The mode would be 10x better if it didn't happen.

i've been playing mystery heroes a lot lately and i actually like that the team comps can get very stupid. yeah sometimes you get screwed over big time but i just enjoy the insanity of it all. i don't feel stressed at a loss because there was never a competitive aspect of that mode for me- I'm just there to experience what's possible in Overwatch :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom