• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another twitch streamer ruining the game for people at the lower end of the ladder for views. He's going to ruin every game he's in whilst he climbs because the vast majority of the opposing teams will stand no chance and will just waste their time.

some games will be ruined for sure....but not all...should be entertaining....it's not like he's a top 500 genji

that's different.

antitrop

Another thing about Winston is that he can be incredibly pointless to play if your supports aren't on point. Since he's such a priority target to get focused down, he needs those Kobe Ana grenades and everything that can keep him up in the enemy's backline. The good part about throwing grenades at Winston is that if you hit him, you're almost guaranteed to anti-heal some enemies with it, as well.

If I'm playing Zen with a Winston on my team, he's like #1 priority for that Harmony Orb.

Azoor

Another thing about Winston is that he can be incredibly pointless to play if your supports aren't on point. Since he's such a priority target to get focused down, he needs those Kobe Ana grenades and everything that can keep him up in the enemy's backline. The good part about throwing grenades at Winston is that if you hit him, you're almost guaranteed to anti-heal some enemies with it, as well.

If I'm playing Zen with a Winston on my team, he's like #1 priority for that Harmony Orb.

As Zarya bubble is good to have as well.

Started last night with two back to back wins and got up to 2764. One game was on Route 66 and we help the payload right around the first corner so it was an easy push for the win. Second game was on Oasis and I played with a 5 stack that was so well coordinated, it was beautiful.

Unfortunately I ended up losing the next three straight and fell to 2692. My teams just kept trickling in one by one, refused to switch, and of course the dps that couldn't hit anything. Ugh, why. I just want to hit Diamond again.

As Zarya bubble is good to have as well.

Zarya & Winston on King's Row is so good.

Winston jumps, Zarya bubbles.

Bubble off cooldown, Winston shields.

Shield of cooldown, Winston jumps.

Winston jumps, Zarya bubbles.

Good luck fighting that without coordination.

Started last night with two back to back wins and got up to 2764. One game was on Route 66 and we help the payload right around the first corner so it was an easy push for the win. Second game was on Oasis and I played with a 5 stack that was so well coordinated, it was beautiful.

Unfortunately I ended up losing the next three straight and fell to 2692. My teams just kept trickling in one by one, refused to switch, and of course the dps that couldn't hit anything. Ugh, why. I just want to hit Diamond again.

Hey, I'm 2700 and play MWF from 18:00 PST to 22:00 PST, most weeks. Talynn#1113 if you want to duo queue during those times.

We're close enough in SR that I wouldn't feel bad if we lost.

Deflecting bullets is okay, but not other melee weapons? ;-)

I mean the amount of force the hammer Rein is wielding, Genji should take some kind of knockback damage.

If we're going full sci-fi/fantasy here, Genji should have a new passive: Parry melee attacks, temporarily stun your opponent when opponent melee's if deflect is activated.
This would be broken.

Hey, I'm 2700 and play MWF from 18:00 PST to 22:00 PST, most weeks. Talynn#1113 if you want to duo queue during those times.

We're close enough in SR that I wouldn't feel bad if we lost.
Sorry, should have clarified, I'm on Xbox One. I do tend to notice though that we have similar patters for our games. Maybe there's something to that, lol.

AngryMoth

While we're on the subject of characters blocking stuff that doesn't make sense I'd like to complain about Zarya's self shield protecting her from a stuck pulse bomb. It's inside of the the bubble goddamit that thing ain't gonna do shit!

Thanks for the tips everyone. Just played a couple more games with him, and managed to kill one Roadhog...with my ultimate. But Winston slays the enemy Mercy or Soldiers. I had some great luck with having some hacked healthpacks that were keeping me alive much longer than normal.

I'm really enjoying throwing myself into a crowd and just opening up. And since his jump comes back relatively quick he's honestly the most fun character I've played as thus far.

But what's this talk about him getting a buff? What are they changing with him?

While we're on the subject of characters blocking stuff that doesn't make sense I'd like to complain about Zarya's self shield protecting her from a stuck pulse bomb. It's inside of the the bubble goddamit that thing ain't gonna do shit!

Oh god, that reminds me of OG armor lock in Halo Reach. You stick someone and they just shrug it off. That was infuriating, I sympathize.

komaruR

because the bubble magically separate her and the pulse bomb!

Jellie

It kinda expands from her so you could say it pushes it off her onto her bubble? idk :p

TBH I quite dislike the idea of smurfing, in general.

It's never sat right with me.

It's like if I walked onto a children's playground to play kickball with them.

I'd rather there be a "practice comp" mode for people to try out new heroes but with the formal comp style ruleset, without a visible SR so people don't get mad at losing points.

Jellie

I'd rather there be a "practice comp" mode for people to try out new heroes but with the formal comp style ruleset, without a visible SR so people don't get mad at losing points.

Maybe in custom games on the arcade you could find one or set up a scrim. Or get gaf to do scrims.

Skii

I dont mind smurfs as long as they do their best in every game they play including placements. That way they'll end up placing diamond and quickly make their way to their MMR rather than ruining the experience for people at bronze who are trying to learn the game.

And the in between season comp is fucking awful so there's no way anyone could actually practice their hero.

I solo queue because:

1. My friends who are Silver/Gold are genuinely frustrating to play with, and I lose SR rapidly.
2. I can't play with my friends who are Masters until I hit 3100+
3. I can usually only play in short spurts (1-2 hours tops), can't always predict when that will be, and can rarely stay up past 11 p.m. EST.

Also, comp just sees to break people's brains. Friends and randoms alike. If you freak out, rage at teammates, or tilt easily, I don't really want to play with you. Even passive-aggressive sniping makes me want to go play QP by myself.

komaruR

for me, i like it call it alt than smurf. its more for me to be able to play with friends that is out of the SR range or perhaps just so your main account dont tank from losing because can't carry hard enough? but it that became invalid for me when back in s2 my alt is still placed 1k+ from my RL friend lol. i havent touch that alt account since then.

as for practice comp, quickplay single hero pick change was the sole purpose for that. because you think of trying a hero, doesnt mean other people cant try it too. which in the end leads to people saying "its just quick play".
which then leads to some people playing alt account just so that can play it in comp to really practice it in a more focus setting.
im not saying its right or wrong. just explaining some of the reasons people choose to do so.

im not saying its right or wrong. just explaining some of the reasons people choose to do so.

Oh I get why it happens, and I'm sure most people just say this as an excuse for their lackluster play, but the amount of times I've heard "I don't care this is my smurf I'm actually Diamond LUL" in my comp games has really soured me on the idea of alt accounts.

But that's like most games, really. I guess I just don't have the time or the skill to manage more than one account so I don't like alts :p

LiK

Oh I get why it happens, and I'm sure most people just say this as an excuse for their lackluster play, but the amount of times I've heard "I don't care this is my smurf I'm actually Diamond LUL" in my comp games has really soured me on the idea of alt accounts.

But that's like most games, really. I guess I just don't have the time or the skill to manage more than one account so I don't like alts :p

Time AND money. I love OW but I'm not into paying more money for a second or third account.

komaruR

console luxury man! console luxury!
Time AND money. I love OW but I'm not into paying more money for a second or third account.
You don't have to pay a dime for making alts on console! just time! :p

komaruR

Don't you need to pay for PS+ on the other account to play online?

don't tell me you never knew about setting the ps account with ps+ as primary will make all secondary ps account free to use its online/game installed on the same console? same for xbox one

LiK

Meh, still not interested. Time is money. I'd rather try to raise my SR on my main than an alt.

don't tell me you never knew about setting the ps account with ps+ as primary will make all secondary ps account free to use its online/game installed on the same console? same for xbox one

I'm the only one in my household who plays games so I never made alts for anything.

Veelk

Banned
I like moon but this "heal me bitch" stuff...nah.

One benefit of console players over PC is that there is much less toxicity than what I hear goes on on PC. I've literally never seen anyone who actively attacked a teammember on the PS4 side of things.

And if I did encounter someone who said shit like that, I would go out of my way to not heal them.

Yeah this. Unless you are playing with good coordinated players, you will never receive healing and no one will capitalize on your push/distractions. I remember telling the team in Anubis two days ago that I was going left with Winston, so they should join and capitalize. I jump in and kill Pharah and Widow really fast, then I jumped on point to find myself alone while they were poking at the choke point; there was a healer nearby but nope.

Anything less than 6-man stack is mostly bad if that group had the healers. They only heal themselves and put harmony orb on full HP Reinhardt or their friend-tanks.
I am really fighting the urge to troll in Quick play. I had really bad incidents recently with healers and small groups who don't cooperate with their own damn team.

I really like Winston. He is the first character I played in OW and I like how effective he can be. It is a shame that he is one of those specific picks that requires a lot of team work to be very effective. At least people don't insta-lock him, so that is a positive thing about him (unless they do after the current PTR buff).

I don't like smurfs who are actually good and like to start from the lower ranks to work their way up. Low MMR Overwatch is already a volatile hellhole. Having pros and good players down there destroying teams will only make it harder for serious people to climb up. They don't know how easily you can lose down there unless you are an amazing player.

Also, the practice comp mode sounds great. Quick play is full of people who just want to jump in and get kills with their favorite characters instead of taking advantage of the game's fun team work mechanics and emphasis on countering/strategies. Some people don't even know how to have fun.

komaruR

One benefit of console players over PC is that there is much less toxicity than what I hear goes on on PC. I've literally never seen anyone who actively attacked a teammember on the PS4 side of things.

And if I did encounter someone who said shit like that, I would go out of my way to not heal them.

because console players dont use mic that much even tho mics comes with the ps4/xbox one purchases >.> and no text chat.

Umm, this is not true at all, I've experienced quite a bit of toxicity, the worst of it coming from the lower ranks (silver/gold) but still happens consistently in any rank on PS4. I've had games where the entire MATCH my team is talking shit to each other, they're more worried about the teammates performance rather than their own.

Type in "overwatch toxic" in youtube, filter by upload date... click a random video and chances are, it's probably the console version.

Crono27

cause no one talks...

I've been fighting the urge to troll and throw QP games, but I can't take it anymore. This is my fourth game in a row with no healers or me being forced to go healer while having no tanks. I think I will start pissing people off and show them my perspective.

Veelk

Banned
Umm, this is not true at all, I've experienced quite a bit of toxicity, the worst of it coming from the lower ranks (silver/gold) but still happens consistently in any rank on PS4. I've had games where the entire MATCH my team is talking shit to each other, they're more worried about the teammates performance rather than their own.

Type in "overwatch toxic" in youtube, filter by upload date... click a random video and chances are, it's probably the console version.

I mean, I've put in over a hundred hours in Overwatch and I think 30 in comp.

It's genuinely my experience htat there isn't a lot of toxicity on consoles. The worst we get is some frustration over teammembers not switching or being bad or something. I think the worst it ever got was when a person got on a match, said "Hey guys, guess what" and then screamed into the mic before leaving the game. That was annoying and stupid. Another time was when I was on Genji and we lost a match and they blamed it all on me for some reason. That wasn't nice, I guess, but that's not what I consider toxic.

Stuff like cussing a player out, I've genuinely never heard it before. People are usually polite enough to chat, sometimes standoffish enough to be silent the whole match (if they have a mic), occasionally frustrated, but never hateful.

cause no one talks...

Obviously, I refer to the talkers, not the entirety of the players.

antitrop

I've been fighting the urge to troll and throw QP games, but I can't take it anymore. This is my fourth game in a row with no healers or me being forced to go healer while having no tanks. I think I will start pissing people off and show them my perspective.

I didn't become a Mercy main by choice. I was just so willing to fill support that eventually it became by far my best class to play, and therefore my favorite.

When I first started playing, I was mostly Torb/Roadhog/Soldier76, and then I got so sick of not having supports that I just grew into maining that class. I enjoy playing support now.

Veelk

Banned
Yh i mean i played 3 seasons on console and i can probably count all the people on mic on 2hands maybe.

How many games did you play of those seasons? How often people are on mic tends to vary depending on time of day and on which point the season is in, and I agree that they're not on mics as often as they should be, but I got atleast 15 people on mic through the 10 games I played just last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom