• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT9| There is no Cow Hero

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Is VaultDweller a gaffer that plays on PC? Just played against a 5 stack with someone named that, spent the whole game getting focused while no one covered me lol.

Nimby

Banned
Oh hey Ajax stepped down from NRG

ydJQcKx.png

if ur not going to get on the point when we're defending anubis b with 10 seconds left and you're tracer and you're just sitting in spawn quit overwatch now

Ramirez

TJ barely played a min and left lol

Fucking feel fantastic killing this stupid OTP Gold Mei in QP just now. Fucker was pissing me off cuz none of the randoms could deal with her except me. Had to pull out Soldier.

Do I really need longer than a minute to realize Hanzo-Tracer-Orisa-Widow-Genji-? Is going to be an awful experience? lol

MCD

Before game starts someone sends a msg: pick a decent hero that isn't Bastion

Ok.

I go Tracer because these two are my forte.

We lose because said guy picks healer and honest to god I saw zero healing/ult from him.

Why can't we report via the game yet? I need to vent badly.

Jblanks

Need to just relax with QP. Don't be like that random who tilted cuz no healers. It's QP. lol

Even if you're in a stack?

Stack would be alright, solo I'm gone. Although playing in a stack it would be pretty easy to communicate one person going support and just switching every game. I know it's just QP, but I still want to do well and not get spawn killed.

LiK

Stack would be alright, solo I'm gone. Although playing in a stack it would be pretty easy to communicate one person going support and just switching every game. I know it's just QP, but I still want to do well and not get spawn killed.

Well, we just had a 3-stack. Can't control what randoms would do anyway. Some random crying for healing like we're in Comp. he should've just left and let someone else join in but he didn't...lol

I mean that's cool if you find that relaxing, just a waste of time for me, different strokes!

I wasn't gonna take that match seriously with the random tilting and switching to Widow cuz no healers. Just ended up practicing my aim. It's never a waste of time to play with online buddies, imo. If you like to solo then that's fine. Not my thing anymore.

Shame you left so soon. Didn't even have a full match with you.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Watching seagull stream now - why are there 4 top 500s on a team vs. 0 on the other team? They aren't grouped either, it could have split them.

"hidden MMR" is a meme and makes no sense.

Watching seagull stream now - why are there 4 top 500s on a team vs. 0 on the other team? They aren't grouped either, it could have split them.

"hidden MMR" is a meme and makes no sense.

I hate MMR so much. Your rating should be your MMR, and nothing else.

I'm a little disappointed I didn't win more (games were totally winnable, no throwers!). But I can't be mad at all, went from 2466 -> 2827 great night in general. I only lasted one game in gold (2466 -> 2541... not sure why).

I thought I was tearing up with Ana, but then I look at my stats and nothing special :(. My pharah stats seem above average, but I don't really care about her anymore... I only use her to win games because plat DPS suck about as much on PC as they do on console.

Yager

Banned
Man I just can't catch a break this week, I've dropped like 200 SR since Sunday. Some games were very winnable too, surely my luck has to turn around soon. I wasn't far off from Diamond on Sunday, feeling a bit like Icarus right now, ha.

Yesterday was a shit day, yeah T_T

The two games we played were you were pretty fucking awful. We should've won Holywood, but nobody could pick that fucking Reaper. He by himself won the game. And Gibraltar...don't get me started. The thing about that map is that most of my pals don't know how to set up the defense, I mean, you can't have a Roadhog go up the left ladder and get a pick so easily. From that point on we started to get stomped. Also, one thing that bothers me a bit is that some of the guys we were playing with are too damn slow to realize that something is not working and switch characters. The guy with Symmetra usually plays really good, but if you're not getting value out of the teleport or shield generator swtich bro. I was with Mercy and I didn't have time to heal anybody because half of our team was getting killed nonstop.

At least you weren't there to witness 2 of the worst Genjis I've ever seen. Before you came in we were in a 3-stack. Attack on Hanamura: me and my friends go past the choke point and start to push towards the point, we're fighting, getting some picks here and there, but eventually and out of number we get oblitared. Guess what? Our Genji was standing in the chokepoint throwing shurikens while our Tracer was at point B expecting us to get the point. I just laughed.

Also, King's Row, 3-stack again. We pick Mercy, Zen and Rein, the other guys Dva, Genji and Tracer. The couldn't kill a single member of the other team, like no one, I had gold elms with Zenyatta with 4 fucking kills, and when I saw that I switched to Pharah but it was already too late. Then on defense, one of the randoms picks Mercy, pulls out the gun and refuses to heal anybody. Game over, I get a message: "thrower". Like, dude, seriously? I was playing a support trying to keep your ass alive for you to do shit and you're calling me a thrower when we got a tilted Battle Mercy on our team? LMAO

Also, I was with fever and couldn't think straight, so maybe yesterday I should not have played Overwatch because half of the time I was doing shit I wasn't supposed to do. Sorry Legacy, I should've warned you when you got in (also you sounded pissed when you left T_T). Today I'll be online at about 19-20, if you wanna play a couple of games let me know, I'll probably alone. We must to gain our SR back T_T

(shit that was a long post).

MG310

12-8-2 SR 2318 went up to 2458 (421-417-46)

Some pretty tough games including a King's Row that unfortunately went from a 3-3 tie to a 3-6 loss even though we had a bit more time than them.

I just couldn't get the teleporter up...killed by a Roadhog, resurrected by Mercy and then killed by the same Roadhog when I tried to run into the building to set it up.

_Legacy_

Yesterday was a shit day, yeah T_T

The two games we played were you were pretty fucking awful. We should've won Holywood, but nobody could pick that fucking Reaper. He by himself won the game. And Gibraltar...don't get me started. The thing about that map is that most of my pals don't know how to set up the defense, I mean, you can't have a Roadhog go up the left ladder and get a pick so easily. From that point on we started to get stomped. Also, one thing that bothers me a bit is that some of the guys we were playing with are too damn slow to realize that something is not working and switch characters. The guy with Symmetra usually plays really good, but if you're not getting value out of the teleport or shield generator swtich bro. I was with Mercy and I didn't have time to heal anybody because half of our team was getting killed nonstop.

At least you weren't there to witness 2 of the worst Genjis I've ever seen. Before you came in we were in a 3-stack. Attack on Hanamura: me and my friends go past the choke point and start to push towards the point, we're fighting, getting some picks here and there, but eventually and out of number we get oblitared. Guess what? Our Genji was standing in the chokepoint throwing shurikens while our Tracer was at point B expecting us to get the point. I just laughed.

Also, King's Row, 3-stack again. We pick Mercy, Zen and Rein, the other guys Dva, Genji and Tracer. The couldn't kill a single member of the other team, like no one, I had gold elms with Zenyatta with 4 fucking kills, and when I saw that I switched to Pharah but it was already too late. Then on defense, one of the randoms picks Mercy, pulls out the gun and refuses to heal anybody. Game over, I get a message: "thrower". Like, dude, seriously? I was playing a support trying to keep your ass alive for you to do shit and you're calling me a thrower when we got a tilted Battle Mercy on our team? LMAO

Also, I was with fever and couldn't think straight, so maybe yesterday I should not have played Overwatch because half of the time I was doing shit I wasn't supposed to do. Sorry Legacy, I should've warned you when you got in (also you sounded pissed when you left T_T). Today I'll be online at about 19-20, if you wanna play a couple of games let me know, I'll probably alone. We must to gain our SR back T_T

(shit that was a long post).

No worries. Yeah we need to work on Gibraltar! Maybe have everyone defend from the top and no one below, Roadhog had it too easy! Hollywood we definitely should have won and as you say, that damned Reaper switch on the enemy team killed us, it's a shame because we defended so well for ages and they somehow got to second checkpoint. I was more pissed with myself, I went 0-5-0 last night and should have stopped after the third loss, I broke my own rule at the hope of gaining some SR! That's easily the worst day I've ever had for comp.

People can be such dicks sometimes, especially when they play like shit themselves. Hope you get better, I'll hopefully be on this evening.

Yager

Banned
No worries. Yeah we need to work on Gibraltar! Maybe have everyone defend from the top and no one below, Roadhog had it too easy! Hollywood we definitely should have won and as you say, that damned Reaper switch on the enemy team killed us, it's a shame because we defended so well for ages and they somehow got to second checkpoint. I was more pissed with myself, I went 0-5-0 last night and should have stopped after the third loss, I broke my own rule at the hope of gaining some SR! That's easily the worst day I've ever had for comp.

People can be such dicks sometimes, especially when they play like shit themselves. Hope you get better, I'll hopefully be on this evening.

Yeah, that's what I said yesterday, but after like 10 seconds people started going down and I was like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

0-5 your worst day? Man, you haven't seen the depths of hell until you reach a 2 digits lose streak...and continue playing.

ramyeon

Suspended for 8 hours for a disconnect at the start of a comp game. What the actual fuck? There goes my plans of getting some OW in tonight.

ramyeon

A single dc is 8 hours?
I've had issues with my internet connection in the past, but I've changed to Ethernet from wifi and haven't had a DC in weeks. I dunno, it's probably still punishing me for past DCs which is kind of bullshit too really.

maomaoIYP

I've had issues with my internet connection in the past, but I've changed to Ethernet from wifi and haven't had a DC in weeks. I dunno, it's probably still punishing me for past DCs which is kind of bullshit too really.

Comp time bans are counted by the DCs per season.
Your team suffering an almost guaranteed loss because of your poor internet connection is kind of a bigger bullshit really.

ramyeon

Comp time bans are counted by the DCs per season.
Your team suffering an almost guaranteed loss because of your poor internet connection is kind of a bigger bullshit really.
Any real reason to be aggressive like that? I always rejoined when the game let me and invested in Power Line Adaptors in my house pretty much solely to solve the issue since it had worsened and I had to stop play OW as a result, because YES I do feel bad about dropping from comp games.

But thank you for the answer. If it's any conciliation, I DCed during setup so no one suffered any penalty besides me :)

_Legacy_

I think it tallies up, happened to my friend who has dodgy wifi. At first it's like 1 hour, then a week or two later when it happened again, 8 hrs, then 24, on and on. OR something like that, from I remembered.

EDIT:
Yeah, that's what I said yesterday, but after like 10 seconds people started going down and I was like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

0-5 your worst day? Man, you haven't seen the depths of hell until you reach a 2 digits lose streak...and continue playing.

Stick to the 2-3 loss a day rule, works wonders! Haha. I remember I was placed in low gold this season after an awful finish in season 3, got annoyed and solo q'd. Went on to lose 7+ games in a row and dropped into silver tier, which was awful. Ever since that point I've almost always stuck to 2 to 3 losses a day. Hardest thing is when your playing with a group, have a bad session and then another group comes online and the temptation is turn your fortune around with them! Most of the time it's worked for me but yesterday.... ugh.

maomaoIYP

Any real reason to be aggressive like that? I always rejoined when the game let me and invested in Power Line Adaptors in my house pretty much solely to solve the issue since it had worsened and I had to stop play OW as a result, because YES I do feel bad about dropping from comp games.

But thank you for the answer. If it's any conciliation, I DCed during setup so no one suffered any penalty besides me :)

I'm sorry you interpreted that as aggressiveness, but I think everyone tends to feel that when someone quits or drops for whatever reason. I don't even rage in game anymore, I just take the loss, but it still feels like BS no matter what.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I'm sorry you interpreted that as aggressiveness, but I think everyone tends to feel that when someone quits or drops for whatever reason. I don't even rage in game anymore, I just take the loss, but it still feels like BS no matter what.

I take it as an opportunity to emote with the enemy team during the ceasefire.

Yager

Banned

Happened a couple of times to me. It's fucking bullshit that you get a penalty when you can instantly reconnect.

EDIT:

Stick to the 2-3 loss a day rule, works wonders! Haha. I remember I was placed in low gold this season after an awful finish in season 3, got annoyed and solo q'd. Went on to lose 7+ games in a row and dropped into silver tier, which was awful. Ever since that point I've almost always stuck to 2 to 3 losses a day. Hardest thing is when your playing with a group, have a bad session and then another group comes online and the temptation is turn your fortune around with them! Most of the time it's worked for me but yesterday.... ugh.

Yeah, I try to do that, but everytime I'm about to quit someone goes online and enters and "oh man, you won't leave without playing one more game with me, won't you?", and I try to be nice to and with everybody (even though a lot of times I want to scream at their faces) and agree to a couple more games...and then you realize you've been playing just because and are 0-15.

_Legacy_

Yeah, I try to do that, but everytime I'm about to quit someone goes online and enters and "oh man, you won't leave without playing one more game with me, won't you?", and I try to be nice to and with everybody (even though a lot of times I want to scream at their faces) and agree to a couple more games...and then you realize you've been playing just because and are 0-15.

Yeah that's rough, I think I'm a bit too ruthless. I'll be like "I'm just about to offline", then I just switch my profile to offline and watch some Netflix or Crunchyroll!

Anyway, we'll get some wins today. I really think this game is like scale, sometimes it tilts in your favour (good randoms,etc.) and other times it doesn't. We had a good run on the weekend and looks like we got the bad end of it yesterday. Which means today we'll get wins!

Well, the missus bought me Overwatch for my birthday today... any beginner tips?

I've been sticking to Soldier 76 (I think that's the number) as he seems to the the entry level fps type character and just playing against the A.I a couple of times to get used to the controls, I'm having fun. Think it's time to pension off CS:GOas my "go to shooter" and stick to this.

Blues1990

Well, the missus bought me Overwatch for my birthday today... any beginner tips?

I've been sticking to Soldier 76 (I think that's the number) as he seems to the the entry level fps type character and just playing against the A.I a couple of times to get used to the controls, I'm having fun. Think it's time to pension off CS:GOas my "go to shooter" and stick to this.

Soldier: 76 is a great start, but I would also recommend trying the following:

Mercy - Because she's a lot like other games' medics (Read: TF2 Medic), & she can be a potent support even if you're not an expert player yet.

Reinhardt - Because he's simple enough to play mechanically, but will also give you a taste of responsibility for the rest of the team. Keep your shield up and your teammates behind it. If an enemy gets too close, thwack them with your hammer. Set up huge tide-turning moments for the rest of your team with your ult. Rinse, repeat, be a hero.

D.Va because her guns are simple (you never have to reload), and she can be pretty survivable if you know how to use her shield.

Lucio is also a great pick if you want to dip your toes into the Support category (if Mercy doesn't click with you). I would avoid the Defense Heroes, as with the exception of Hanzo and Mei, most of them are pretty situational.

As for more general tips:

-When in doubt, switch characters.
-COMMUNICATE.
-Go for the annoying ones first.
-Be a team player.
-Don't be afraid to lose.
-Make sure you know to play at least one of the four Hero categories, as being flexible is generally a good thing.

Veelk

Banned
I decided to start keeping track of how my games go just to measure out how many of my matches are actually good matches. My standard for what makes a match good is that both teams play effectively and without leavers.

So far, about half my matches are good out of 14 (for today), but this last game was just stressful. We had a person who wouldn't switch off Symmetra even though we were attacking on Hanamura. We actually managed to go and capture both points. I have no idea how.

So I think "Great, if this symmetra can clutch it on attack, defending is going to be easy peasy!" HA! Symmetra makes the rookiest of mistakes and camps outside the enemy team spawn, by herself, and dies. We hold them off long enough, but the point is lost.

Now, you'd think that the obvious strategy for this symmetra user is now to put her shield generator up on point B, in that little nook that's super hard to get to? No, she puts the teleporter in the middle of the fucking objective. No one uses it and the enemy team capture point B with 5 minutes in the time bank (compared to our 1:30).

"We're fucked" I think. But then the enemy team loses a guy. HOPE! We manage to capture hte first point since it's now something akin to 5v5.3 for us.

Now we just have to defend for 5 minutes. And now is the time Symmetra starts taking things seriously, putting her turrets in smart positions and taking on enemies weak to her like Genji.

In the end, we won, but jesus, this was as stressful, terribad match. And the rest of my team was good, they communicated and weren't really toxic and played well, but one player can ruin an entire match. And my matches have been steadily getting worse, so I'm taking a break now because the next game is going to throw me into an all support group.

Top Bottom