• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT9| There is no Cow Hero

komaruR

Call me when he has an air dash

Tbh I think I've always jumped before a command jump for Winston
You can do sanji's airwalk with winston if you combine it with ult. When going into and leaving ult state, your leap always refreshes.
Also during ult winston leap refresh in 2sec i think. So if you do a super jump in air, before you land you should be able to leap again. Which means you can actually airwalk and dont touch the ground for quite a while.

RemiLP

How did i not know about this? Is there anywhere in game that this technique is explained?

Tbh I think I've always jumped before a command jump for Winston

No, this is not just jumping and then doing the rocket jump boost to gain the extra hight of a normal jump. Here u jump right before u land, and it gives u a BIG boost, and does impact damage on take off.

Denali

Just encountered a weird bug with Symmetra where she got stuck in the photon barrier animation when I used it while getting simultaneously hit with a graviton surge by Zarya. Couldn't shoot or anything, died a few seconds later so I don't know how long it would have lasted. Is this some weird interaction I'm not aware of?

I had few incidents where the team ignores my group up message when I am taking high ground on defense with Rein or Zarya. They stand really close to spawn and I have to either die with them, or retreat and watch them die. The latter happened and I kinda felt bad because if I grouped up with them, the chance of us surviving would have been better.

Just random QP matches though. I would talk to them if it was comp, and people get really defensive/triggered when you try to communicate with them or imply any seriousness in QP.

I know it would be better for team morale if I went and died at spawn with them, but I just can't when I play Rein. I get swarmed. Tell me ahead of time and I'll switch to D.Va or Winston, and then leave their sorry asses when shit goes sideways.
But no, I refuse to self-tilt as Rein by spawn-camping with my team.

_Legacy_

Made it back to Plat last night, went on a ten game win streak and last win netted me above 60 SR. Proceeded to lose three games in a row in a three-stack after and called it a day. Now for the road to Diamond!

Crazy to think I was just above 2000 a few weeks ago.

Skii

Recently I saw a video by Mindfuzz on how McCree needs a buff and now Stylosa has come out with a video saying he needs to be reworked. What do you guys feel about that?

To me it sounds ridiculous. McCree is the premium anti flanker and has a clear defined role as that character as well as being one of the best heroes at dealing with Pharah. He's not as splashable as Soldier is but I still feel like he's got a significant role in the game and can be your main DPS in almost every situation providing the person playing him can aim.

Nimby

Banned
Recently I saw a video by Mindfuzz on how McCree needs a buff and now Stylosa has come out with a video saying he needs to be reworked. What do you guys feel about that?

To me it sounds ridiculous. McCree is the premium anti flanker and has a clear defined role as that character as well as being one of the best heroes at dealing with Pharah. He's not as splashable as Soldier is but I still feel like he's got a significant role in the game and can be your main DPS in almost every situation providing the person playing him can aim.

They need to do something with his ultimate maybe, or another ability. His damage output is fine, very good in fact. Nothing about that needs to be changed.

Soldier's ultimate is more consistent, has a good escape and has healing for him and his team. McCree is kinda a sitting duck, he is good against one Tracer/Genji, but a dive destroys him. Flashbang is a good ability, combat roll eh, and his ultimate is garbage fire.

EDIT: Reaper is someone who I thought was just underused, and he is bit, but something about the game right now makes it hard for Reaper to do much (and Mei). McCree can do work just fine however, but Soldier seems like a more preferred choice for teams for hitscan. Like the difference between McCree and Soldier in previous patches was like a 40% usage to 2% gap, now it's like 40% to 15%.

kirblar

McCree's issue is that he is really, really dry and generally needs a tank babysitter or two. In solo queue he really doesn't offer a lot. (and in teamplay, the Ult's useless)

komaruR

So i say mccree need slight buff and no1 cares but big ytubers say he need rework and people start debating?

Im a nobody :(

Anne

McCree's ult isn't useless. He's fine, he's just not an S tier DPS atm. Hell, his pickrate is on an uptick lately.

komaruR

With all these buff char revolving around him. Hes soon gonna be like reaper.
jk. Hes not gonna be unused like reaper
I wanna see a reaper rework first than mccree

Anyway what if mccree roll doesnt autoreload gun nomore and the cd is 1s or 2s instead?

Anne

Yeah the slow slide of Reaper is starting to hit a point of him being too ass tbh. It's tricky though cause he's not just outright bad, but the way the game has developed he's just too limited. I'm not sure how they could buff him without having new kit elements. You can't just make him deal more damage or make his mobility options significantly better without making him obnoxious.

Anyway what if mccree roll doesnt autoreload gun nomore and the cd is 1s or 2s instead?

Sounds dumb tbh. The roll is good because ti reloads, and McCree isn't supposed to just have mobility. You'd just be getting rid of a good tool for something inane the character isn't even built around. Giving roll utility outside of the reload would be a cool thing to do if they ever do need to buff him, but that's just such a bizarre idea.

Nimby

Banned
McCree's ult isn't useless. He's fine, he's just not an S tier DPS atm. Hell, his pickrate is on an uptick lately.

Compared to Soldiers though? I'll admit I don't use much hitscan at all, but Soldiers ult is great at cleanup, great for equalizing numbers in a team fight and he can pull it off much easier than Deadeye. Like the amount of times in a pro game where McCree gets a kill with his ult vs Soldier is pretty huge. Deadeye kills seem like such a rarity.

Anne

Compared to Soldiers though? I'll admit I don't use much hitscan at all, but Soldiers ult is great at cleanup, great for equalizing numbers in a team fight and he can pull it off much easier than Deadeye. Like the amount of times in a pro game where McCree gets a kill with his ult vs Soldier is pretty huge. Deadeye kills seem like such a rarity.

The point of Deadeye isn't to kill people. The point is to zone, create pressure, and put your team in the best possible set up to start or win a fight. When Deadeye does actually get kills, those kills tend to be /huge/ since they basically start the fight. Also in a lot of situations where McCree ult wins fights are situations where Soldier's ult would have done nothing. They are so drastically different in function it's not even funny.

I get in random ladder soloq matches it's easier to jump into a poorly organized fight and mash Q with Soldier. That doesn't take away the fact that a set up Deadeye (which yes does happen in solo q and not just pro games since it just requires a shield and a support) is still really good. Hell it's so good that it gets Nanoboosted. Nanoboosted Deadeye is such a common combo that there's a casting nickname for it (Electric Cowboy).

I just wish mccree had some sort of mobility. The closest thing is his roll which is extremely short range with the added benefit of reloading his barrel.

Soldier has his infinite old man run
Genji has his dash
Pharah can use both her boost and concussive blast to quickly move around
Sombra has her fast invisible run and translocator.

I mean its not like hes unplayable he just doesnt have the same room for error that the other attack heroes have i feel. just a small thing i want like make his roll a jumping boost or something where his boots have rockets propelling him lol that would be dope!😆

caesar

Banned
McCree's issue is that he is really, really dry and generally needs a tank babysitter or two. In solo queue he really doesn't offer a lot. (and in teamplay, the Ult's useless)

Nah, hes one the best heros to play. I don't really see how he needs a buff and I play a lot of him.

The point of Deadeye isn't to kill people. The point is to zone, create pressure, and put your team in the best possible set up to start or win a fight. When Deadeye does actually get kills, those kills tend to be /huge/ since they basically start the fight. Also in a lot of situations where McCree ult wins fights are situations where Soldier's ult would have done nothing. They are so drastically different in function it's not even funny.

I get in random ladder soloq matches it's easier to jump into a poorly organized fight and mash Q with Soldier. That doesn't take away the fact that a set up Deadeye (which yes does happen in solo q and not just pro games since it just requires a shield and a support) is still really good. Hell it's so good that it gets Nanoboosted. Nanoboosted Deadeye is such a common combo that there's a casting nickname for it (Electric Cowboy).
If that is the case how come Mcrees pickrate is still drastically lower than soldiers in high level and pro?

In organized teams, soldier is still way better.

aeolist

Banned
i liked orisa when i first tried her on ptr but now that i've had more qp games with her on live she seems kinda weak.

she cannot deal with several popular DPS heroes at all, you basically can't play her into pharah or genji especially.

LiK

Anyone playing later? I feel like I've been going on too late and people are too tired for Comp by the time we get a full group. People play like two matches and they start to leave.

Anne

If that is the case how come Mcrees pickrate is still drastically lower than soldiers in high level and pro?

In organized teams, soldier is still way better.

Ish. Soldier's pickrate is a bit higher, but I did point out McCree's is on the rise. If you want the real honest ass reason Soldier has a higher pickrate, it's just that it's generally easier and safer to throw a Soldier into your team, esp on defense.

Higher pickrate =/= flat better is a concept to think about. When you start getting into metagaming and examining pickrates, there's a lot of nuance rather than just "oh this thing picked more often is better." That's often true, but it's typically pretty marginal. The nuance comes down into where and why Soldier is being picked. Is it because he's just always better than McCree? Or is it that it's more likely you have a world class Soldier on your team rather than a McCree? Or is it that Soldier's marginal increase in safety is more valuable to teams not confident in calling out an opening offensive gamble? Spoiler: It's a combination of the last two more than the first one.

There are like so many more factors into top level pickrates other than just "this thing is better than the other" which is where real metagaming happens. You gotta look at all that shit plus some personal experience to get the full picture.

So like, yeah Soldier is generally the safer pick than McCree, but it's not always optimal. There's a lot of stuff to unpack there wrt how Overwatch works competitively but that's a diff story.

komaruR

Comp. we usually do QP for warm ups and then more people join so we stick with QP to see how it goes. But then it gets late and then when we do Comp, people seem to bail pretty quickly.
I still havent gotten a inv in poohs discord. Probably should ask there to form a group for comp since its more realtime than to wait for ppls respond on gaf

Pooh give other member the ability to inv to your discord too. So i can get an inv from some1 else

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Anyone want to group up on Xbox One, drop a line here or a PM.

Joined Overwatch late although I've been watching ever since the closed beta went live on PC.

Just tired of brain-dead randoms really, they are the only real blister on what I consider the most fun shooter I've played since Gears. It honestly annoys me how I can have the skill to push through the enemy defense and make it to a point whether flanking or right down the middle and not one other teammate pushes with me. If I'm Zarya and I say that my ultimate is ready, that's the sign where everyone else gives me their status, people.

Come on. Overwatch is so easy to play too, easier than BF4 which held the title to me for quite some time. How do purchase a game that is only about objectives and NOT go to the objectives? Straight-up baffling.

LiK

I still havent gotten a inv in poohs discord. Probably should ask there to form a group for comp since its more realtime than to wait for ppls respond on gaf

We're just inviting whoever's online. I'm not even active in the Discord currently. So if you're interested, we can invite you if there's a space. Just message Pooh if you don't see me online since my online status is screwed up in OW.

komaruR

We're just inviting whoever's online. I'm not even active in the Discord currently. So if you're interested, we can invite you if there's a space. Just message Pooh if you don't see me online since my online status is screwed up in OW.
Or you could be secretly playing on an alt. Thats y we see you on ow game status buy cant see you on, on the fl!

How many ppl joined the discord?

LiK

Or you could be secretly playing on an alt. Thats y we see you on ow game status buy cant see you on, on the fl!

Never, even if I can't climb back into a Diamond range, every win still gives me Comp points. Need to get Golden skin for my Soldier! An alt would just waste my time.

Anyway, you on tonight?

Edit: no idea, I don't keep track of Discord.

I feel like when I play rein, I get the most "back seat driving" advice.

Some people dont seem to understand that Rein's shield is not infinite...

rulerk1

I would love to see a survey on PS4 players on if they previously played Pokemon or a Smash bros because the counter picking I usually see in plat rank is nonexistent or horrible. Seriously Junkrats wrecking havoc on us and our Pharah doesn't even think to shoot a him once, only healer decides to go D.va despite the enmey Road hitting every hook, and Zarya stays at full charge thanks to our junkrat (who swapped off Soldier). whyyyyyy

on a good note i finally learned to mine jump forward now so there's that

komaruR

Never, even if I can't climb back into a Diamond range, every win still gives me Comp points. Need to get Golden skin for my Soldier! An alt would just waste my time.

Anyway, you on tonight?

Edit: no idea, I don't keep track of Discord.

il be on. i usually only turn on my ps4 when i see people play lol. so in the end it might be a full group.
i dont really like to play alone. no fun :(

TheOddOne

i liked orisa when i first tried her on ptr but now that i've had more qp games with her on live she seems kinda weak.

she cannot deal with several popular DPS heroes at all, you basically can't play her into pharah or genji especially.
She's kind of boring to play too. Rein, Winston, D.vA all have their problems, but they are fun to play.

LiK

il be on. i usually only turn on my ps4 when i see people play lol. so in the end it might be a full group.
i dont really like to play alone. no fun :(

Same, I don't like solo. I'd rather just have duo queue. I'll be on in a few if you wanna play.

Odette and odile.

Both balette skins, one black, one white.

Getting Black Swan vibes here.

They're based on Swan Lake after all.

Finally doing my S4 placements and I see people are still just as stupid online. First round we have an amazing dive Winston on our team getting nonstop picks, third round some idiot who never even plays him locks him and proceeds to get no kills and causes us to lose

Also I keep getting forced into Healer despite doing much better as DPS.......whyyyyyyyyyyy

BigDug13

I don't think McCree needs much. They should lower the cooldown of his roll by a lot. Make it usable every 4 or 5 seconds and now you have a more useful dueling tool for maneuverability.

Faced a 5 stack on Kings Row attack, we won easy and all 5 left before their turn, then the last guy left.

We got 3 SR for that win, seems pretty BS.

Never thought about it like that.

Still the 2 worst legendary skins in the game, aside from Devil/Imp Mercy.

uy4RS7F.png

Top Bottom