• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oxenfree |OT| Alle Alle Auch Sind Frei

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Great game! I played through it twice in two settings yesterday (finished regular and then NG+). Really enjoyed it, but doubt I'll do another run through.

Keihart

Loooved the game, the ending i got tho...
guess i'll have to play it again

Edit: Walk and talk mechanic is really cool, is like a game focused on those moments in Uncharted 4 or TLoU when you explore and banter at the same time, but better because dialogue trees.

IvanJ

Banned
I need to stop telling myself that I like this type of games. I keep buying them, then I quit halfway through because of boredom, or power to the end and hate myself for it.

This game is the former, and this is in no way my comment on its quality. I got to 2 a.m. and simply couldn't go any further.
I didn't like the characters, I could care less about them and their problems - I think it's the presentation/art style. Had it been a realistic 3D game, I am sure I wohld like it more.
Didn't like the lack of exploration and endless walking back and forth.
What especially bothered me is the dialogue. My pressing the response would immediately cut off my friend and interrupt him. Which meant that I patiently had to wait for him to stop talking, which would in turn mean that I had to stop walking, and then it all became so tedious that I stopped paying attention and just pressed square as soon as the dialogue bubbles appeared.

Well, lesson learned. Finally... I just wish I've learned it with Ether One, Firewatch or Telltale games before....

thenexus6

I beat the game today, took me just under 4 hours.

I really liked it, only annoyance was how some dialogue options would interrupt other characters. I like the idea of interrupting, but you obviously miss some off that they are saying.

The characters, art, voice acting and the soundtrack were all excellent. I bought both soundtracks from bandcamp immediately.

I tend to not replay games that often, but I think I am going to jump straight back into this to see the new options and get the other endings.

If the game pops up in Steam summer sales GET IT!

peakish

If the NG+ builds some more on the story I'll definitely give it a go sometime. Until then I'll share my opinion on the first playthrough.

I like many of the parts of this game, but they came just short of fitting together into a greater whole. The free form dialogue system feels very refreshing in how you can steer conversations and it seems like you have some control over how the story proceeds, but I can't tell by how much since I largely went with decisions which seemed like they would forward it. Most of the cast is endearing and it's always nice to see a cast of regular people. The story hook is good and so is the island setting.

The thing is that the game doesn't quite do enough. The pleasant cast and the story feels a bit underdeveloped and many of the scenes (
more specifically the possession scenes
) become repetitive and predictable. That's kind of a problem in a story game.

Still I liked the game despite of this, largely because the dialogue system (with the exception of inconsistently interrupting other characters) is so good. I think the developer vision for the game is absolutely fantastic and love that they got to try it out even if I didn't think they hit the home run. If every just-good game was this interesting gaming would be such a great space.

Spoilery NG+ question:
if you finish your first playthrough with Michael living, is he around as a kid in the group during the second playthrough?

Just conpleted my first playthrough. I love the mystery about the game. Going. Through second playthrough now and already on the boat Alex is acting different.
Man, so many questions. What should I be doing on my second playthrough?

dinoroar

Banned
Just finished this last night, first game played with a girlfriend and it was absolutely perfect. She's not super into games, just good media to absorb and she couldn't get enough. Just got a text saying she's started a new game without me while I've been at work.

Anyway, after flitting through this thread I now realise we've gotta do it again NG+ and see if we can get some more endings. Plus, I've gotta play it through without saying a word the entire game!

CANNOT recommend this thing enough, especially if you've got a hole in your heart for Stranger Things.

I recently finished this too. I was pleasantly surprised with how well they were able to create natural characters who act like an actual person would. I was also surprised at how scary the game was in spots. I'm definitely gonna need to go for a NG+ run soon.

aravuus

Bought the game yesterday because fuck it, why not, and played the first hour or so.

Have to echo everyone's thoughts on the characters and dialogue. By far some of the most natural feeling stuff I've ever witnessed in video games. While I'm still not sure about the timed dialogue choices thing, I get why it's there and hey, at least they let me pause the game during the choices unlike some other games.

Gonna try and finish the first playthrough after work before Deus Ex unlocks later today. I also found myself already thinking of subsequent playthroughs and how differently I'm gonna go through them (different major choices, want to do one where I only give asshole responses, one where I stay silent etc) so I'll definitely play the game through at least twice or thrice.

Just finished this last night, first game played with a girlfriend and it was absolutely perfect. She's not super into games, just good media to absorb and she couldn't get enough. Just got a text saying she's started a new game without me while I've been at work.

Anyway, after flitting through this thread I now realise we've gotta do it again NG+ and see if we can get some more endings. Plus, I've gotta play it through without saying a word the entire game!

CANNOT recommend this thing enough, especially if you've got a hole in your heart for Stranger Things.

Wow, comparing this to Stranger Things is a huge stretch. Unlike in Stranger Things, none of the characters in Oxenfree is particularely likable.

Kyonashi

Wow, comparing this to Stranger Things is a huge stretch. Unlike in Stranger Things, none of the characters in Oxenfree is particularely likable.

As much as I did like this game, I can't disagree with this. Ren bringing drugs to a gathering of friends and then hoarding them and not sharing was unforgivable imo.

who even does that

dinoroar

Banned

I'm not saying "It is Stranger Things in video game form." and I totally agree that the characters in Oxenfree were not likeable, but Stranger Things was a lot more than just likeable characters. The creepy/brooding atmosphere twinned with happy go lucky, almost cartoon-like (at times) teenage/kid characters, the 80s vibe both have going on, synthy soundtracks, the use of radios, the lack of everything being explained..

I don't know. The "vibe" I think is similar, and if you were someone who loved Stranger Things then I'd say playing Oxenfree is a good shout. Although perhaps with the caveat "don't expect to love the characters", then.

Bought this a few weeks ago and just started playing last night. Done maybe an hour - got to 11pm after
they wake up underneath the radio tower, and I'm now on my way to rescue Ren
. How long are we looking at for one playthrough roughly? I don't have a lot of time for gaming at the moment, so I'm doing about one hour per night.

Bought this a few weeks ago and just started playing last night. Done maybe an hour - got to 11pm after
they wake up underneath the radio tower, and I'm now on my way to rescue Ren
. How long are we looking at for one playthrough roughly? I don't have a lot of time for gaming at the moment, so I'm doing about one hour per night.
Took me about 4-5 hours but you're going to want to play at least twice

Anustart

Played it, and was meh with it. Didn't care enough about the story to go hunting for more stones or letters. Hated the fucking slow crawl back and forth across the map, and was jumping for joy when they gave me the point of no return.

Won't be diving in for a new game+.

Ekai

Played it, and was meh with it. Didn't care enough about the story to go hunting for more stones or letters. Hated the fucking slow crawl back and forth across the map, and was jumping for joy when they gave me the point of no return.

Won't be diving in for a new game+.

You can have a wrong opinion all you want about the GOTY. : P

Jkjk.
My one criticism of the game would be the movement speed and I would agree with you on that. But the story, art, sound design and everything else jammed pack in there more than made up for that. Especially since there was usually something going on while you were moving about.
Sorry you didn't like it. I suppose I can see why some might not for various reasons.
(Though personally speaking it is my GOTY : P )

Lime

I can't get 4K resolution to work in this game - any one has a solution? Unity must be the culprit I could imagine

Makonero

Picked this up in the humble bundle. What a perfect Halloween game! I was really impressed. I'm not one for horror, but this hit the right amounts of creepy and weird and yet had great character moments. The voice acting was fantastic!

My only complaints are movement speed and the repetition of trying to find random radio frequencies way too often. The atmosphere, the characters, the story (I love that final twist
at the end with the fact that it loops back--
I'll have to give it a second playthrough next year!).

I didn't do any of the collectibles mostly because I wasn't sure how to find them. I looked them up afterward and while it is nice that I have more backstory, I'm glad they were totally optional.

I'm super excited to see what comes next out of this team. Bravo!

Karak

Picked this up in the humble bundle. What a perfect Halloween game! I was really impressed. I'm not one for horror, but this hit the right amounts of creepy and weird and yet had great character moments. The voice acting was fantastic!

My only complaints are movement speed and the repetition of trying to find random radio frequencies way too often. The atmosphere, the characters, the story (I love that final twist -- I'll have to give it a second playthrough next year!).

I didn't do any of the collectibles mostly because I wasn't sure how to find them. I looked them up afterward and while it is nice that I have more backstory, I'm glad they were totally optional.

I'm super excited to see what comes next out of this team. Bravo!
Please spoiler that post a bit about the final. Its not that long ago.

A bit like life is strange I wish I could experience this a first time again. I played it all the way through for review and was floored then invited my podcast buddy over and we sat down and the next thing I know we beat it again. It is fantastic.

E-flux

I completed Oxenfree last night, while i liked the game whole way through the ending left me super unsatisfied.

Ending spoilers
I saved everybody and sacrificed myself thinking that this was it, however i woke up on the ferry getting out and it seemed like the happy ending when the epilogue starts. This is what i don't get at all, the epilogue tells what your buddies did and are doing at least 1 year if not more into the future and then a time loop happens. This doesn't make any sense to me why a timeloop would happen that late after they got out, it just seems a lazy way of making a "twist" ending. The loop that happens right at the end kinda ruins the ending for me, if they really had that idea the whole way through they should have axed the epilogue.

aravuus

I completed Oxenfree last night, while i liked the game whole way through the ending left me super unsatisfied.

Ending spoilers
I saved everybody and sacrificed myself thinking that this was it, however i woke up on the ferry getting out and it seemed like the happy ending when the epilogue starts. This is what i don't get at all, the epilogue tells what your buddies did and are doing at least 1 year if not more into the future and then a time loop happens. This doesn't make any sense to me why a timeloop would happen that late after they got out, it just seems a lazy way of making a "twist" ending. The loop that happens right at the end kinda ruins the ending for me, if they really had that idea the whole way through they should have axed the epilogue.

I think it's only the player character that gets stuck in the loop, and afaik, there are happier endings too

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)

Ending spoilers
(ending spoilers)

The way I understood it, the game deals with multiple timelines, not a single one. So every player and every playthrough is dealing with a separate Alex experiencing the events of the "loop". It's the reason why we meet other players in the mirrors and such. Several "Alexes" deciding different things.

What happens at the end isn't as much a loop as it is a different Alex going through the same situation. You as a player have the choice of playing again through that other timeline, or just drop the game and have the ending of that one Alex be your "true ending" so to speak.

That's the only way the epilogue can work without being nonsensical.
The twist is just telling the player that there are other iterations of Alex they can help.

E-flux

(ending spoilers)

The way I understood it, the game deals with multiple timelines, not a single one. So every player and every playthrough is dealing with a separate Alex experiencing the events of the "loop". It's the reason why we meet other players in the mirrors and such. Several "Alexes" deciding different things.

What happens at the end isn't as much a loop as it is a different Alex going through the same situation. You as a player have the choice of playing again through that other timeline, or just drop the game and have the ending of that one Alex be your "true ending" so to speak.

That's the only way the epilogue can work without being nonsensical.
The twist is just telling the player that there are other iterations of Alex they can help.

At first i was thinking on somewhat similar lines but given how the other time loops happened and the effect that occurs i have a feeling that devs intended it to be taken as a new time loop.

just finished

holy SHIT at (ending spoilers)
the fact that you can save Michael. If I did that myself my mind would have been blown. Anyway I didn't let Jonas listen to the tape but that's just because my mirror Alex told me not to. Was that a different online player or is that the recommended thing to do? What happens if he does?

Also unrelated but I told possessed Clarissa at the end about a guy named Calvin but I don't remember ever finding that out? I listened to a lot of the anomalies and read only one letter

anyway the music and tense atmosphere was great but it ended a bit too neatly for my tastes

also read up the NG+ differences, that's pretty funny and fits with the game well but I don't have the patience to run through a game like this twice

Fuchsdh

just finished

holy SHIT at (ending spoilers)
the fact that you can save Michael. If I did that myself my mind would have been blown. Anyway I didn't let Jonas listen to the tape but that's just because my mirror Alex told me not to. Was that a different online player or is that the recommended thing to do? What happens if he does?

Also unrelated but I told possessed Clarissa at the end about a guy named Calvin but I don't remember ever finding that out? I listened to a lot of the anomalies and read only one letter

anyway the music and tense atmosphere was great but it ended a bit too neatly for my tastes

also read up the NG+ differences, that's pretty funny and fits with the game well but I don't have the patience to run through a game like this twice

Pretty much all the letters have the names of crew so that you can successfully win at the end.

At first i was thinking on somewhat similar lines but given how the other time loops happened and the effect that occurs i have a feeling that devs intended it to be taken as a new time loop.

The "ghosts"
specifically talk down at you for calling it "time loops", which I think is another point in favor of how these are just different timelines, and the only commonality is that these ghosts exist across and are clearly aware of the other ones. I agree that the actual visual presentation makes it seem much more like time is looping for the single person.

I thought overall the game was good (doing a third playthrough now to get the final achievements) but the biggest obstacle for my enjoyment was how much slow backtracking and climbing there was, combined with the obnoxious load zones. The game tries to slow everything down so you can't run through everything without hearing most of it, but it also has the loading screens which kill the momentum of certain scenes. If you had the game as a much more seamless world you could run around in it would definitely have improved it.

KodaRuss

I just finished this game and I really really liked it. It is a lot different than any game that I have been playing recently and I think that helped.

I assume there are lots of endings?

I was able to save everyone except for Michael (Which I read that was a possibility in this thread right?) I did not take the deal and knew one of the ghosts name (Calvin)

How many endings are there?

I really thought the voice actors were great and the story was unique and creepy but not too scary.

Like others have said before, the load times were a little long and the walking at times could have been faster but those are my only complaints.

Loved the art style and music as well.

Does anyone have any recommendations for other games like Oxenfree? I will probably be playing either Firewatch or Inside next to keep the indie train of games that I missed going.

I will probably replay the game also, does it have a Platinum Trophy on PS4?

Finally went back and dove into this a couple days ago. I loved it, awesome game. I know what I'm getting for a bunch of my friends later this month :D

I played on PS4 and I'm tempted to do a reset-reset to go for the platinum but I think I need to do a NG+ playthrough first, I'm dying to know what could be Possible. (It's cool to have the NG+ stuff to go directly into, but it must have been ten times cooler for people who had already accepted their ending for months. For that matter, I wish I had been around for the ARG and everything, that seems like it would have been a blast! I always seem to find out about these things after the fact.)

Definitely keeping my eyes open for any games - or books and movies, for that matter - similar to this.

Orgen

I'm in NG+ so to get the "good ending"
(breaking the time loop at the end)
what do I need to do?
Just obeying whatever the Alex from the other timeline says to me about Jonas' mom, Clarissa... etc.?
Or is there something else?

Thanks!

I played the game thinking that I'd love it, and and I just liked it somewhat.
In some parts it really infuriated me, as I felt that it really discouraged exploration. I played it as it was just released on PC, I hear it's better now in that regard.
I got a "good" ending right away and I felt no compulsion to go back and see the other options.
The dialogue was very natural and chill, the atmosphere was very nice and a little spooky, but I feel the game squandered those opportunities. Mainly the overarching plot was really dumb in my opinion, and not because it was mostly a bunch of tropey stuff stringed together, but because it somehow tried to elevate itself above that with plot-twists abd turns that seemed just fanfic to me.
A decent game but I cannot escape the impression that it could have been so much better.

Sayers

Picked this up on PSN today and played about a half hour of it. Enjoying it so far but I am confused about one thing. Sometimes a character's face will pop up over another character's head. Does that denote a change in the relationship between those characters? Maybe I'm too far away from my TV but I can't make out an expression on the face that would indicate an emotion or anything. Just looks like a static picture of a character's face to me.

Danj

I picked this up in the Steam sale and played it last night, really enjoyed it! Some of the actual gameplay stuff was a little tedious but I was really engrossed in the story and wanted to know what happened next so it kept it moving along for me.

I gather from the ending there's some sort of a new game+ mode, is there anything that I would need to know before starting that?

Just finished this and does it seem like it continues in a second playthrough or am I losing it deja vu style? Alex's responses to feeling she's done this before? Haha! Cause that's pretty damn appropriate!

Roboculus

I bought this off the Steam sale recently and I really like it. Really enjoyed the story and characters (also the game looks and sounds great). The conversation system helps keep things moving and gives the game a nice flow. It also handles new game plus in a pretty neat way.

So yeah, I definitely recommend this.

Just finished this and does it seem like it continues in a second playthrough or am I losing it deja vu style? Alex's responses to feeling she's done this before? Haha! Cause that's pretty damn appropriate!
Oh dude, you need to finish a second playthrough. It's definitely worth it.

I just got told this game has a new game plus, I had no idea! OMG So I'm not losing my mind haha! One of the coolest uses of new game plus ever.
Seriously. As soon as they announced they were working on a new game plus, I got really excited, because no other narrative adventure has done that and because the game would be perfect for it.

The new game plus turned out to be exactly what I hoped it would be.

Still wondering if this is a thing: if you
bring back Michael in your first ending, is he part of the group during your new game plus
? That would be crazy

Seriously. As soon as they announced they were working on a new game plus, I got really excited, because no other narrative adventure has done that and because the game would be perfect for it.

The new game plus turned out to be exactly what I hoped it would be.

Still wondering if this is a thing: if you
bring back Michael in your first ending, is he part of the group during your new game plus
? That would be crazy

Answering your question:
Nope

Still, the New game plus is nice. Some changes here and there, some dialogs and dialog options modified that mess up with your head and a little new scene added to the previous endding. Fantastic storytelling.

Still working through my 2016 purchases for the Game of the Year voting thread so I finally sat down with Oxenfree last night. This was the first, non-multiplayer, game I used my Sennheiser headphones on and wow; the atmosphere in the first half of the game where you don't know what's going on was fantastic. Didn't think a 2D adventure game would get me as tense as I got when things started popping off.

Maybe it's just that I've had INSIDE on the brain again recently but I do wish that everything wasn't so
clean cut
by the end of the story. I thought the reveal of
the beings as the killed sailors
and how everything was so
specifically laid out
made the back third of the game lose the masterful tension it had built up with the mystery of the island. The glitches of unmoving characters and a couple freezes certainly didn't help either.

Overall I found it enjoyable if a bit flawed. I'll have to go back and try out the new game + playthrough at some point though; it definitely sounds interesting.

lt519

Loved every second of this and I'm excited to check out the "continued" story and take my time moving through it post
WOL radio
. I just dug the music and atmosphere. I keep saying it and I'm not sure why but it gives me the same feelings that watching Stranger Things did.

INSIDE was a great game, technically (visual and sound) maybe better; but on the fun scale, Oxenfree is leaps and bounds above it.

Haha snarky bitch Alex is best alex.

thatJohann

I can't believe I just found out about this game. Its everything I like. Gonna buy it blind just based on the reviews I saw. As a plus glad it's optimized for the Pro!

Fuchsdh

Has this game been compared to Stranger Things yet?

Honestly for me it's better at channeling that sense of nostalgia and youth better than Stranger Things, probably because it's much more about feel and less about replicating a point in time. The soundtrack sounds "retro" in ways but aside from mentions of cell phones it mostly plays like it could take place in a very wide range of time periods.

Top Bottom