• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oxenfree |OT| Alle Alle Auch Sind Frei

So this comes out soon on PS4 and has good scores and player feedback. I'm interested but i'm wondering what type of game this is? Is it traditional point & click adventure with inventory? Or is it more dialogue based with branches in the story depending on the actions you take? And in what way is it horror? I'm not a big fan of horror games in general. I realise i could look it up and watch some gameplay videos but i have the impression that you want to avoid spoilers for this game as much as possible?

Anyone who would want to give a very short summary of what the game is about and how much of it is horror?

It's more dialog-focused, like a Telltale game.

It's not really scary, maybe a little eerie in a few parts but it's balanced out with humor.

Definitely avoid spoilers, but as far as gameplay goes it's absolutely the latter of your descriptions. And I wouldn't classify it as a horror game at all. There are some spooky goings-on and an overall air of mystery that pervades but that's about it. Think the vibe of a somewhat-goofy (but earnest) ghost story told around a campfire.

wouwie

Thanks, sounds fascinating. I think i'll buy day one. One last (maybe strange) question: is the dialogue timed, as in you need to pick your answer within a certain time like Firewatch and Telltale (not a fan of that mechanic)?

mbpm1

Thanks, sounds fascinating. I think i'll buy day one. One last (maybe strange) question: is the dialogue timed, as in you need to pick your answer within a certain time like Firewatch and Telltale (not a fan of that mechanic)?

It is.

Very little of it is horror. It's more of a super natural mystery story. I would say that it's kind of like a point and click adventure game with Telltale-esque dialogue. It's really fun.

A shame... no buy for me then :(
It works here though. Doesn't feel artificial, because the conversations happen naturally while playing and walking around. The timed nature makes sense here because an active conversation isn't going to pause for you. It gives the dialogue a natural flow and rhythm that those other games don't have

Yeah, it's actually really organic and done better than in any other game in my opinion. Timing actually matters and can/does change the flow, but it doesn't do so in a way that makes you feel like you missed out on something and need to go back. It makes it feel real, like people are having an actual conversation you're participating in. It's very colloquial. To be fair, it's not perfect, but it's the best I've experienced. And the mechanic is absolutely not a reason to skip the game, but it looks like you were just sadly fishing for one.

Uzzy

I really hope we see the dialogue system iterated on and improved in future games, not just from this studio but hopefully others. It's probably the most natural dialogue I've seen in games, so it'd be a shame if the system was only used once.

wouwie

And the mechanic is absolutely not a reason to skip the game, but it looks like you were just sadly fishing for one.

Not at all. Why should i look for reasons to skip a game? I would have bought it without any doubt. I just don't like timed dialogue at all. I feel that it doesn't contribute anything to a game other than being "fashionable". I bought Firewatch and once i realised it had timed dialogue (at the very start), i stopped playing.

I'll watch a gameplay video to see how it works in this game.

Not at all. Why should i look for reasons to skip a game? I would have bought it without any doubt. I just don't like timed dialogue at all. I feel that it doesn't contribute anything to a game other than being "fashionable". I bought Firewatch and once i realised it had timed dialogue (at the very start), i stopped playing.

I'll watch a gameplay video to see how it works in this game.
What does that even mean? Genuine question

And trust me, there's no other choice-driven narrative adventure game like Oxenfree. Its talk-while-playing style is innovative within the genre, nothing else integrates play and dialogue like it.

wouwie

What does that even mean? Genuine question

And trust me, there's no other choice-driven narrative adventure game like Oxenfree. Its talk-while-playing style is innovative within the genre, nothing else integrates play and dialogue like it.

Iirc, it was Telltale who introduced timed dialogue and it was considered "innovative". Since then, it has been popping up in more and more games. Now, if i thought it added anything remotely interesting to a game, i would say that developers are just copying a good idea. But i consider it a gimmick, a bullet point that modern "adventure" games desperately need to have not to be considered classic or old fashioned. Take Firewatch for example: a relaxed and beautiful setting, gameplay focused on dialogue and conversations (with one person) and yet the gamer isn't allowed to read the dialogue options at his own pace? I don't see the point at all.

That being said, i watched a video of Oxenfree and timed dialogue seems to make at least a bit more sense since the conversations involve multiple people. So it's more of a group conversation. And the dialogue choices are very clear and short. So i might actually try this.

danowat

Banned
I went into this a little concerned that it'd be a little plodding and that it wouldn't be much more than a "Push the left stick to win" game, but i was quite suprised.

I haven't finished it yet, but I think I am close, and the story has been riveting, especially for someone who has always been intrigued by cold war espionage and numbers stations.

I found some of the radio/triangle sections genuinely spine tingling, I just hope the ending is in keeping with the rest of the game.

One of the best games I've played this year, and that's saying a lot coming from someone who generally doesn't play these kind of games.

I went into this a little concerned that it'd be a little plodding and that it wouldn't be much more than a "Push the left stick to win" game, but i was quite suprised.

I haven't finished it yet, but I think I am close, and the story has been riveting, especially for someone who has always been intrigued by cold war espionage and numbers stations.

I found some of the radio/triangle sections genuinely spine tingling, I just hope the ending is in keeping with the rest of the game.

One of the best games I've played this year, and that's saying a lot coming from someone who generally doesn't play these kind of games.
This game does eerie so well. It's not Outlast or Amnesia kind of terrifying, but certain aspects really worm their way under your skin. And they got the visuals right; it's genuinely unnerving when reality starts getting twisted and played with by the evils on the island. It helps that you like and root for the kids so seeing them in danger is a gut punch

Debating whether to pick this up on PC or PS4. Generally prefer to kick back on the couch with the console, but were there any performance issues with this title on Xbox One? Doesn't seem like there would be, but some games just aren't optimized well for consoles. My one other concern would be that there appears to be some small text. Is this hard to read on a TV vs. being up close to a monitor?

Can't seem to find answers to these, so much appreciate anyone who can share some insight. Looking forward to trying this one out and with the current 25% off sale on both platforms it's at my sweet spot price-wise for this kind of game. I really like some of the TellTale games and really dug Firewatch, so this seems to be up my alley.

Reedirect

Debating whether to pick this up on PC or PS4. Generally prefer to kick back on the couch with the console, but were there any performance issues with this title on Xbox One? Doesn't seem like there would be, but some games just aren't optimized well for consoles. My one other concern would be that there appears to be some small text. Is this hard to read on a TV vs. being up close to a monitor?

There were actually quite a few performance issues on Xbox, mostly frequent crashes to dashboard. But I played it really soon, I couldn't wait for this game, so I assume this is patched now and should be fine. Text was regular, had no problems with it.

New endings, new locations, new dialogue, some kind of New Game +
Currently out on PC, coming to PS4 soon

Game is out now on PS4, has a cool dynamic theme bundle too.

Also includes a 5 episode documentary/making of which is in the options menu to watch.

Just found an odd glitch whilst I played, didn't seem to pick up my save on Xbox One. If you have already finished the game, when you hit start it should say continue timeline, if it only says play then goto options, click on Start Over.

It should give you the option to preserve timeline or reset timeline. If you click preserve you will now be able to continue the timeline with new game + it will now say Continue Timeline.

You will know straight away when you hear the difference and so far there are some different dialogue options on the boat, so I'm pleased with this update.

Also includes a 5 episode documentary/making of which is in the options menu to watch.

Just found an odd glitch whilst I played, didn't seem to pick up my save on Xbox One. If you have already finished the game, when you hit start it should say continue timeline, if it only says play then goto options, click on Start Over.

It should give you the option to preserve timeline or reset timeline. If you click preserve you will now be able to continue the timeline with new game + it will now say Continue Timeline.

You will know straight away when you hear the difference and so far there are some different dialogue options on the boat, so I'm pleased with this update.
F#%k yes, that's everything I wanted from a New Game Plus

mbpm1

Excellent

Montresor

I'm already smiling ear to ear from a few things that have happened in the first 15mins.

I reckon there will be enough to make new game + just as enjoyable as the original playthrough.

Is that new game+ available on XB1 too? I bought the game recently on sale but haven't played it yet.

I'm already smiling ear to ear from a few things that have happened in the first 15mins.

I reckon there will be enough to make new game + just as enjoyable as the original playthrough.
It's something I always wanted to see in a narrative adventure. I usually only play those kinds of games once, because the first time, your choices are driven by the narrative as it unfolds, while the other playthroughs is essentially you just testing out the choices you didn't pick to see what happens

But Oxenfree's narrative is unique and I'm so glad I'll be able to enjoy multiple playthroughs

Karak

Did our Walking the Walk video on this title. First one for an indie and had a blast. Now have beaten in 4 times. It was interesting to see my partner on the channel sit back and just go "holy shit" like 100 times. He went from. 'Eh' to 'dear lord'.

I would say 2 times through is sort of a minimum and now is really probably considered to be just 1 time through. While 3 or 4 is going to rock your world. Honestly. Its pretty insane what is going on in this title and the changes and differences is pretty meaningful. Thank god for the timed discussion it absolutely elevates the gameplay and tempo of the title.

OMG, yes. 10 minutes into the second playthrough, this is perfect. It's exactly what I wanted. New Game Plus is going to be so rewarding.

Karak

OMG, yes. 10 minutes into the second playthrough, this is perfect. It's exactly what I wanted. New Game Plus is going to be so rewarding.

When you get done with the game come on by and check out the Walking the Walk video. Cadiz and I spent an hour talking about the design, sound, voice, gameplay, and story. Only lite spoilers but just an FYI

Is that new game+ available on XB1 too? I bought the game recently on sale but haven't played it yet.

It was patched into the game (yesterday) today, alongside new dialogue, scenes and a 5 part making of, each episode focusing on a different thing. Team, story, music etc

Of course like any new game+ you do have to complete the game first.

When you get done with the game come on by and check out the Walking the Walk video. Cadiz and I spent an hour talking about the design, sound, voice, gameplay, and story. Only lite spoilers but just an FYI
First time spoilers, or NG+ spoilers?

The first few bits really do a great job of grabbing you straight back in, loved the new dialogue choices. NG+ Is going to open up so much more for discussion as well.

Granjinha

Yeah, it's amazing already. Holy fuck how the hell did this game didn't gather attention from everybody? It's well written, beatiful, with a unique dialog system and some choices that completely change the story, and that story is actually pretty nice with an incredible eerie atmosphere.

Fuck. I want more games from this guys. A lot more.

Yeah, it's amazing already. Holy fuck how the hell did this game didn't gather attention from everybody? It's well written, beatiful, with a unique dialog system and some choices that completely change the story, and that story is actually pretty nice with an incredible eerie atmosphere.
It will. The Skybound partnership will bring this game to a much wider audience

I'm curious as to how New Game Plus will benefit/work with this title. It was great when I played it at launch.
Granted, I'm not far in, but It feels like a whole new game, at least narrative-wise. Like a season 2 almost, the payoff of everything that happened in your first playthrough realized

Suddenly, as a player, your motivation is no longer to just chill and gradually learn what happened on the island. Now you're trying to see if you can save them all and escape the time loop. I'm hoping the characters can use their past knowledge to change things

Granted, I'm not far in, but It feels like a whole new game, at least narrative-wise. Like a season 2 almost, the payoff of everything that happened in your first playthrough realized

Suddenly, as a player, your motivation is no longer to just chill and gradually learn what happened on the island. Now you're trying to see if you can save them all and escape the time loop. I'm hoping the characters can use their past knowledge to change things

Badass

Maybe I'll have to find the time to play through it again in NG+ using my old save.

Thanks.

Zomba13

Saw this getting updated earlier, I guess it was for this NG+ stuff? Guess I'll play through it again seeing as I always meant to before.

I got the bundle with the dynamic theme (I'm a sucker for a nice dark theme) and Oxenfree's is great. It got me out of my rotating between Firewatch and Transistor's theme.

IvanJ

Banned
I was planning to wait for a sale, but it was very nice of them to offer a 25% PS+ discount, so I snatched it. It felt silly holding out several months (this discount is valid all June) to maybe save extra $2.
Now I just need to stop playing Overwatch.....but that's not happening any time soon.

Skele7on

Banned
Oxenfree is my GOTY so far.

Absolutely amazing game that everyone should buy.

I mean come on it's so cheap for

amazing narative
spooky as hell
amazing soundtrack
NEW SIDE STORIES ng+

come on just do it.

These guys really deserve massive praise.

kodecraft

I bought this game 2 days ago, and only played about an hour. The DLC just dropped and I'm going to start over to experience the things that were added. I've enjoyed what I've played so far.

Oxenfree is my GOTY so far.

Absolutely amazing game that everyone should buy.
I'd argue it's the most innovative game in the genre since The Walking Dead made its mark. The walk-and-talk structure allows for gameplay/story pacing that the games modelled after Telltale's style simply can't do, and the New Game Plus extends the narrative in such huge meaningful ways that I don't think has been done in narrative adventures before.

Top Bottom