• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oxenfree |OT| Alle Alle Auch Sind Frei

Played for 3 hours, just
unlocked the gate to the Addler estate
How far am I into the game?
Took me 7 hours but I really took my time. I'd say you're more than halfway.

So glad people are finally playing and enjoying this. I thought it was a wonderful experience and can't wait to go back and play it again.

eksy

Banned
$20 is a bit high at the moment, plus I have a beastly backlog. I'll throw it on my wishlist and grab it when it's $10-12.

Ya same here. I'll grab this once it drops to $15.

No rush to get it, and its not like there's nothing to play.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
My advice is to play this one go, it's like Bastion from The Neverending Story hiding in the attic, get a sandwich, get comfy and just play.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Ok so turns out i love this game. About 4 hours in and currently my opinion is: Everyone needs to buy this! The vibe of this game is something truly special, im already dreading the moment when the credits start rolling...

This is something pretty important. This game gives very good vibes.

Okay, just finished. Took me about 5 hours

So...does that ending mean it's a time loop? Is she actually possessed? How variable were people's endings?

What I disliked:
- Climbing walls got annoying after the third or fourth time
- Ending felt kind of abrupt

What I liked
- But I didn't want it to end
- From a narrative standpoint, every aspect was fantastic. Dialogue, characters, the pacing. I loved it
- The walk-and-talk mechanic for dialogue choices was really effective and something I'd liked to see adopted by other games
- When stuff started happening, it was done so so well. The game nailed its unsettling moments and eerie elements perfectly, without needing jump scares or anything like that
- The atmosphere and art style was gorgeous
-
It's called a supernatural thriller, but really it's cosmic horror/Lovecraftian, and when I realized that, it was great

JonnyKong

I had absolutely no idea of this game's existence until I just stumbled across the review over on IGN. I've took the risk and bought it. I look forward to starting it tonight.

I love it when a game like this comes out of nowhere.

EBreda

Out of nowhere (for me, at least) comes the first must have title of 2016.
Amazing atmosphere and art direction, loved the soundtrack too. Everything just fits perfectly together.

Congrats, devs.

Reedirect

OK, just finished it and it was absolutely amazing. A couple of spoilery thoughts and questions:

In the end, I was on good terms with Clarissa, made Nona and Ren be together and bonded with Jonas, so... pretty much the best possible outcome, although the pie charts at the end showed a couple of options for every major decision.

I thought the ending worked really well overall, but the time-loop scare at the end seemed a little cliché and kind of unnecessary.

So I assume there are more endings to this than convincing the ghosts to let you go. I expect you can take the deal and either sacrifice yourself or leave and let Clarissa die? Or at least there was a prompt for leaving. I'm glad I ignored that and talked my way out of it.

OK, just finished it and it was absolutely amazing. A couple of spoilery thoughts and questions:

In the end, I was on good terms with Clarissa, made Nona and Ren be together and bonded with Jonas, so... pretty much the best possible outcome, although the pie charts at the end showed a couple of options for every major decision.

I thought the ending worked really well overall, but the time-loop scare at the end seemed a little cliché and kind of unnecessary.

So I assume there are more endings to this than convincing the ghosts to let you go. I expect you can take the deal and either sacrifice yourself or leave and let Clarissa die? Or at least there was a prompt for leaving. I'm glad I ignored that and talked my way out of it.
What did you think of the
Interstellar-esque "it was me"
part at the end?
I wonder what or if those dialogue choices affected anything

Reedirect

What did you think of the
Interstellar-esque "it was me"
part at the end?
I wonder what or if those dialogue choices affected anything

I don't really have an explanation for that, but I don't think they influence anything. Someone on the Steam Forums suggested that they're messages for future players, kinda like bloodstains in Souls games. I'm not sure if I buy that, but it sounds just plausible enough that I can't completely rule it out.

I don't really have an explanation for that, but I don't think they influence anything. Someone on the Steam Forums suggested that they're messages for future players, kinda like bloodstains in Souls games. I'm not sure if I buy that, but it sounds just plausible enough that I can't completely rule it out.
Well considering
it had your Steam name over the character, I'd buy that.

Pachimari

It always reverts back to 720p when you go back into the options screen but the resolution actually sticks to whatever you select and apply.

I'm not sure it does that with me? I just find it weird, that the subtitles are so close to the bottom of my monitor.

I'm also getting stressed out playing this game, admittedly I have only played two minutes so far, but I gotta get used to the tempo of the conversations. Sometimes my bubbles (dialogue) disappears before I even get to read my choices, because I'm reading the subtitle of what the other guys are talking about.

IvanJ

Banned
I haven't been paying attention to this game because I thought it was an XOne exclusive.
But now that I found out it is coming to PS4, I am definitely interested, read some very positive reviews, and it seems like the type of game I enjoy a lot.

But I better not read too much, I don't want to spoil my experience.

Afro

I haven't been paying attention to this game because I thought it was an XOne exclusive.
But now that I found out it is coming to PS4, I am definitely interested, read some very positive reviews, and it seems like the type of game I enjoy a lot.

Yeah, the PS4 announcement was just a few days ago. Had to edit the PS4 logo into the |OT| literally the day of release. No date yet though.

GavinUK86

I'm not sure it does that with me? I just find it weird, that the subtitles are so close to the bottom of my monitor.

I'm also getting stressed out playing this game, admittedly I have only played two minutes so far, but I gotta get used to the tempo of the conversations. Sometimes my bubbles (dialogue) disappears before I even get to read my choices, because I'm reading the subtitle of what the other guys are talking about.

You can tell with how clear and sharp the text is if it's running at your monitor's native resolution or not.

And yeah I agree, I've missed quite a few speech bubble selections because I was listening to conversations and reading the subtitles. A lot of the dialogue overlaps but it seems intentional. It's a bit annoying.

JonnyKong

Ugh what has my game glitched already near the start? Jonas is crouched down near the fence ready to give Ren a boost over, but Ren is just stood in one spot not moving.

Edit: decided to redo the scene, now I have to go through the whole truth or slap convo again, sigh

Top Bottom