• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oxenfree |OT| Alle Alle Auch Sind Frei

BraXzy

What's the length falling in at? It's not listed on HLTB yet and I would like to do this in one sitting, but it's starting to get late :3

Kritz

Banned
What's the length falling in at? It's not listed on HLTB yet and I would like to do this in one sitting, but it's starting to get late :3

Took me like 4 hours, but others here have said 7-8. I'm not really sure how there's that big of a difference, unless Steam tracking is way off. Feels like 4 hours is about right though. Started at around 7pm last night, finished at around 11pm.

OK, just finished it and it was absolutely amazing. A couple of spoilery thoughts and questions:

In the end, I was on good terms with Clarissa, made Nona and Ren be together and bonded with Jonas, so... pretty much the best possible outcome, although the pie charts at the end showed a couple of options for every major decision.

I thought the ending worked really well overall, but the time-loop scare at the end seemed a little cliché and kind of unnecessary.

So I assume there are more endings to this than convincing the ghosts to let you go. I expect you can take the deal and either sacrifice yourself or leave and let Clarissa die? Or at least there was a prompt for leaving. I'm glad I ignored that and talked my way out of it.

The ending I got was...

Clarissa was super depressed and hated me.
Nona and Renn were a couple and all g
Jonas was pretty alright all things considered
And I resurrected my brother from the dead by changing history. Or something.

I had a weird experience in the Radio Gauntlet at the end. Where the completely inept space lovecraft was doing its best GLADOS impression saying stuff like, "don't do that you'll die" "make a deal with us please" "no don't". I realised that interrupting people was kind of almost a mechanic of conversations, so I embraced it by completely cutting off the spookghost every time it started to talk. Every time it appeared I pulled out my radio and just did the little tuning 'puzzle'. There was an amusing moment right toward the end where the space ghost is trying to barter with me, I radio it immediately, and the thing's like "geeze you're just going for it, huh?"

Anyway, I got flung into the past and there was this moment where I think the game wanted me to -remember- the things that the mirror had told me throughout the game? Which were,

Make the brother go to school here
Don't let Jonas talk to his mother
and something else about clarissa or something

Anyway so I said the same things I got told back into the mirrors, and throughout the game I tried to do those things, thinking they were some kind of Until Dawn fortune totum things that were giving me hot tips.

No idea if they actually affected anything.

But, yeah, cool game.

Took me like 4 hours, but others here have said 7-8. I'm not really sure how there's that big of a difference, unless Steam tracking is way off. Feels like 4 hours is about right though. Started at around 7pm last night, finished at around 11pm.

The ending I got was...

Clarissa was super depressed and hated me.
Nona and Renn were a couple and all g
Jonas was pretty alright all things considered
And I resurrected my brother from the dead by changing history. Or something.

I had a weird experience in the Radio Gauntlet at the end. Where the completely inept space lovecraft was doing its best GLADOS impression saying stuff like, "don't do that you'll die" "make a deal with us please" "no don't". I realised that interrupting people was kind of almost a mechanic of conversations, so I embraced it by completely cutting off the spookghost every time it started to talk. Every time it appeared I pulled out my radio and just did the little tuning 'puzzle'. There was an amusing moment right toward the end where the space ghost is trying to barter with me, I radio it immediately, and the thing's like "geeze you're just going for it, huh?"

Anyway, I got flung into the past and there was this moment where I think the game wanted me to -remember- the things that the mirror had told me throughout the game? Which were,

Make the brother go to school here
Don't let Jonas talk to his mother
and something else about clarissa or something

Anyway so I said the same things I got told back into the mirrors, and throughout the game I tried to do those things, thinking they were some kind of Until Dawn fortune totum things that were giving me hot tips.

No idea if they actually affected anything.

But, yeah, cool game.
No way,
you can bring back Michael? Like he actually is with you on the ferry?
Someone else said that end section is actually
you leaving messages for other players Dark Souls style. The fact that your Steam name appears above your character during that part makes that seem likely

As for the ending, I think
it's supposed to imply the ending isn't happy, but rather she's trapped for eternity in that other realm. Dying over and over again, remember? If the whole game is a time loop,..

JonnyKong

A couple of glitches aside, I really enjoyed my first hour or so, particularly all that stuff with the
looping football
Can't wait to see where this is all going. Oh yeah I really liked the
ghost
on one of the photographs. All the dialogue seems really natural and well written too.

Climbing down a wall and the step brother dude is just stuck on it not moving, I've walked right to the the other end of the area and he's till talking to me lol.

Don't know what to do, how is the game making saves?

Kritz

Banned
No way,
you can bring back Michael? Like he actually is with you on the ferry?
Someone else said that end section is actually
you leaving messages for other players Dark Souls style. The fact that your Steam name appears above your character during that part makes that seem likely

As for the ending, I think
it's supposed to imply the ending isn't happy, but rather she's trapped for eternity in that other realm. Dying over and over again, remember? If the whole game is a time loop,..

Yup. He's on the ferry and Alex is like, "what the fuck?!" and the other characters are saying stuff like "he was with us the whole time!"

One neat little touch (related to the previous massive spoiler, but I dunno maybe the people who read the prev spoiler want to discover the next spoiler themselves)
is that in that "universe", your brother replaced Jonas in the minds of all the other characters - to them, you weren't walking around with Jonas, but your brother, and Jonas spent all his time with Renn. And the neat little touch is that in the ending credit sequence, all the photos you took with Jonas in them are changed to have your brother instead

Also, there's an achievement in the game for making enemies with everyone. I bet that'd be a real fun playthrough.

Has anyone collected all of the collectables? Know if there's any bonus content behind it?
Do you ever go into that room by the mining area (it's right next to the top of the map, the bridge shortcut you use to go from getting Renn to getting Clarissa)?

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
my completely bias review. I know the guys who made it and helped out a bit with some early PR and blog posts, and needless to say I like the game. I was also born in 1980 so I feel I'm somewhat aligned to what's going on..

I'd consider this to be about 99% spoiler free beyond basic setup stuff and a few choice words that may hint at things.
-
Make yourself a sandwich, adjust the thermostat, and get comfy, because Oxenfree is something you’ll want to soak in in a single session.
Under its painted veneer it might share core competencies with Telltale’s latest, Oxenfree is not an episodic tale. It’s just a single night where some freaky things happens, and you’ll want to live (survive?) through it all at once.

The night in question finds you as Alex, a high school girl chaperoning her recently met stepbrother Jonas through a local custom, the all-night rager at the beach. In tow is her best friend, Ren, his not-so-furtive romantic interest, the enigmatic Nona, and queen bee Clarissa. Beers are drank and magical baked goods are scarfed. Sure there’s a whiff of stereotype clinging to the characters, but soon the night gets darker. And weirder. The cast gets deeper, including Alex, all growing to be more than they first appear with each turn, each twist.

But these aren’t M. Night Shyamalan contortions, but smooth arcs steered by your conservation choices and actions. These revelations are fueled by frequency modulation. The party takes place on Edwards Island, a derelict naval base turned tourist trap. A place where petty officers learned how to alpha tango over the radio bands. In fact, tuning Alex’s radio is the key to the weird science at hand… or is it of a more supernatural origin? To say more would rob you of the terror the triangles and the infinite possibilities of the tesseract.

The term cinematic has been bandied about in the gaming sphere since sprites took to the screen. Here, Oxenfree has bottled the celluloid aura, subtly and not-so-subtly. The setting is modern, complete with cell phone pics. The atmosphere and construction, however, is more of the earnest 80’s, wrapped in a VHS dub, sometimes literally. Its also straddling the PG13 line, that valiant struggle to drum up something thrilling without relying on blood and gore, but with concepts, characters and plot. You know, like an actual story.

The look of the game might have you thinking Mario more than Walking Dead. There’s a total lack of close-ups, but, to excuse a trope, it really makes Edwards Island one of the characters. Alex is rarely alone, and her companions will walk an explore the scene as well, with the ultra-wide shots turning each local into a living post card. Even if the action takes place in a beautiful diarama, the animation isn’t a slouch. The characters pivot, climb, jump and gesticulate with grand, tiny intention, although when the motions are synched between characters, it can come across as uncanny. The camera work is subtler side. There’s gentle zooms and bobs, tension building blocks, with some lavish effect work mixed with the VHS tracking jitters. It all cuts a contrast to the beautiful, muted trees and paths dressed in that patina of the Pacific Northwest: gloom.

With radio being the McGuffin mechanic, it’s suitable that the sound work is top notch. The voice acting, including the distorted voices heard on air, land immediately. (Though you might need to toggle on the subtitles if you want to decipher some of the more salient chatter over the airwaves.) The background music is another edge case, needling the boundary of bombast and ethereal. SCNTFC’s score sets moods and adjusts pulses without overshadowing the action at hand. Likewise, the sound design, especially its fusion with the music, cements the cinephile findings. All the audio garnish on the tapestry visuals achieves, and here’s the 50 cent word, a real gestalt.

But beyond visuals, voice, and sound, the soul is the script and scenarios. Again, to say too much of what Alex and company encounter would be criminal. It’s safe to say there’s dividends for those who play close attention. Don’t fret, playing Alex single-minded or scatterbrained are both valid, feasible and rewarding. There aren’t really right answers (outside a chilling quiz or two) just reactions, and no ominous “So-and-so will remember that” just quick caricature flashes, indicating something said or done has had weight on one of your companions.

At times the branching decision seams are visible. There’s also a lot more going on in the periphery. Small ripples make tidal waves. And playing as Alex is a treat. She’s doesn’t wear the melancholy cardigan that would be so easy to pigeon hole her into. Her dialog option offerings giving enough wiggle room to have reaction you’ll most likely be comfortable with as she chatters, informs, and interrupts. It’s the interruptions that are the biggest scuff on the game, you never know when Alex will cut someone off mid-sentence or wait politely to give her two cents. And the voice work and banter is the game’s heart and soul. You’ll likely not want to cut too many conversations short, leading to a not-intended mini-game of waiting for the dialog options to start to fade and then quickly selecting before Alex just stews out stony silence instead. It’s an extra layer of tension that’s not really needed.

At the beginning of this review it was recommended you make a sandwich. There’s a reason. Oxenfree will you take you well over five hours, and even more if you want to scour the island for all of its secrets. Though there are variations to the tale, I recommend shelving it after completion for a little contemplation. But like those well worn VHS tapes, you’ll want to go back eventually. And, finally, as cinematic as the game is, those certain scenes where the distortion is cranked up and the lights turn eerie red and red again, they would never have the same punch played out on the static screen. Here, you play in it, making the goosebumps all the more earned.

Fyi ran into a issue with xbox one version, it crashed to dash and then would always crash at start up. Hard booted, nothing. Moved it from one hard drive to another worked. Not sure if it's a wierd conflict with external or what but glad it fixed it.

yeah, none of those things happened to me.

In fact I don't think I was ever in that second area with more than Jonas.
Since those moments are even in the launch trailer, I guess that's a good sign of how playthroughs can vary

I usually never play these kind of choice-heavy games more than once, but I can't wait to do a second playthrough of Oxenfree.

The game reminded me a bit of a really good horror novel I read last year, called The Troop. It's about a small group of boy scouts and their leader taking the annual camping trip to an island, they get stranded there, and then things go horribly horribly wrong. Like Cronenberg-level body-horror wrong

Has anyone started a second playthrough yet? Given
the time loops during the game and the ending, I wonder if there's any chance for persistent changes, or your characters remembering stuff from previous playthroughs
?

---

Just realized this interaction never happened for me either
oxenfree_screen_2.jpg

GavinUK86

Anyone got all the letters yet? I'm missing one and can't find it anywhere. It's the top right one in the letters menu.

NoPiece

What age do you think this would be appropriate for? How does it compare to Life is Strange in terms of content/maturity?

Karak

They're both in the launch trailer, so they have to be in the game, right? I'll probably ask the devs

Ya I don't know. I emailed and asked them as well. BUt I would be blown away if not.

What age do you think this would be appropriate for? How does it compare to Life is Strange in terms of content/maturity?

Very low. Its content is very kid friendly though it does deal in mature stuff like death.

Gigglepoo

Just a heads up if you're averse to spoilers. There's one achievement (at least on Steam) that reveals a big plot point. So, don't read the achievements!

Kritz

Banned

In terms of sexual content there's basically nothing
There's a few rather violent scenes, but no blood
One character consumes """"" magic """"" cupcakes
But some of the scarier moments of the game are really, really quite intense.

I'd say that on average it's a lot more intense than LIS just moment to moment (LIS is quite laid back for the most part), but I think when LIS goes for it, its moments of violence and intensity and adult themes are a lot stronger than Oxenfree.

pnutboy

WOW, just played through this in one sitting. What a pleasant surprise! I had no idea what I was getting myself into after I purchased it without really thinking, but that was quite the experience! I'll definitely need to replay it soon because it seemed like the other endings could be pretty different and interesting. This is easily up there with Life is Strange as one of the best adventure games I've played in a long time.

So how did you play your Alex? I tried to be the neutral, determined, save everyone type.

---

Re: the pictures + ending spoilers
Since there was the picture where you saw the ghost in the background, I was certain the final picture on the ferry in the end was going to show either everyone else was really possessed or Alex was possessed

_Clash_

Can say, X1 Au version hasn't been classified hence it not being on the store.

source- twitter with dev.

Pretty annoying, maybe let them know how you feel.

outsidah

I'm really happy I took the plunge and picked this game up today. I love the feel of the game... The art, music and atmosphere all go so well together and it's a refreshing change from other games.

It has crashed a good number of times on my Xbox though. No lost progress or anything like that, but 4 times or so during a 2-3 hour(?) session.

A quality game, and 2016's first must play. It has a neat visual style, an interesting storyline and interesting mechanics. I liked it quite a bit.

However, it's buggy as fuck. I had one crash part-way through, where I got that loud noise and returned to dash. Then, it crashed again silently while loading and returned me to dash later on.

When I tried to load the game afterwards, it crashed at the first loading screen twice. So I launched another app, retried it and got it to work so that I could play the last 30 minutes.

I brought Michael back, and sacrificed Clarissa, which I did without thinking much, figuring it was my only way out. I also got the couple together and bonded with Jonas.

Fyi ran into a issue with xbox one version, it crashed to dash and then would always crash at start up. Hard booted, nothing. Moved it from one hard drive to another worked. Not sure if it's a wierd conflict with external or what but glad it fixed it.

I should have quoted this when I made my post, but I didn't read others' thoughts beforehand. This is exactly the same problem I had, except I was able to 'fix it' by using Internet Explorer for a couple of minutes then retrying. Two crashes while playing, and two while trying to boot it.

Kind of glad I'm not alone, though it sucks.

Picked up the Collector's Edition and got my XB1 code, looking forward to it. Is there an estimate on when the PS4 version drops? I'm guessing this is an ID@XBOX game, hence the lack of a release date for PS4?

Stupid question: Those types of crashes don't do any lasting hardware damage, do they? No chance of that, right?

I always cringe when it happens.

Need some help. About 3 hours in. I can't figure out how to do something and I don't want to reload the game for a third time because what I'm trying to do follows a long "cutscene".

I'm on main street trying to get
the key to the estate. Right after truth or slap and finding out that her brother drowned. My partner is telling me I need to break into the building
but I can't figure out how to do that. It might just be a bug, but I've reloaded twice already and played things differently each time.

edit: lol, never mind. I was trying the wrong building.

Need some help. About 3 hours in. I can't figure out how to do something and I don't want to reload the game for a third time because what I'm trying to do follows a long "cutscene".

I'm on main street trying to get
the key to the estate. Right after truth or slap and finding out that her brother drowned. My partner is telling me I need to break into the building
but I can't figure out how to do that. It might just be a bug, but I've reloaded twice already and played things differently each time.

edit: lol, never mind. I was trying the wrong building.

I tried the right door during the dialogue scene, and it didn't work, so I went to the store and tried it. Then I realized, a couple of minutes later, that I was at the wrong building.

I tried the right door during the dialogue scene, and it didn't work, so I went to the store and tried it. Then I realized, a couple of minutes later, that I was at the wrong building.

Yeah, I was down at the bottom when my partner said "ah, here's the building" so I was pretty confused. Oh well. The game is still really good so far.

Sloane

Banned
Just finished. Fun experiences overall, although I've got some slight reservations, the main one being: The game really doesn't know when to shut up, or pause at least.

I love the natural flow of the dialogue but at some point enough is enough and the constant blabbering really starts to do the atmosphere a disservice. I feel like the script probably could have been cut in half without missing anything crucial in terms of plot and character development. At times all the talk makes sense from the characters' point of view because they're excited for the adventure or trying to blabber the fear away or whatever, but then there are times where it just feels like listening to a hectically rushing waterfall that's not spitting out anything meaningful or noteworthy and never ever stops.

Still, definitely one of the best interactive stories out there and well worth playing.

Reedirect

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in order to (ending spoilers)
save Michael you have to discourage him from leaving town for school, while his relationship with Clarissa doesn't seem to have an effect on him living or not.

Now I also wonder what would happen if you went through the whole game without saying a word.

I am not disappointed at all with this, it's one of the best adventure games I've played in a long time.

I'm not sure why but I'm getting strong Maniac Mansion vibes from it.

Noooooo! It just crashed during the ending!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in order to (ending spoilers)
save Michael you have to discourage him from leaving town for school, while his relationship with Clarissa doesn't seem to have an effect on him living or not.

Now I also wonder what would happen if you went through the whole game without saying a word.

I broke he and Clarissa up, it seemed, and had him stay home for school. Then he appeared on the boat. I also sacrificed her at the end.

Pachimari

I have missed most of the conversations at the start of the game, so I don't even know what's going on, other than three guys taking a trip to an Island.

JonnyKong

Arghh why does this game keep crashing. Three times now it's kicked me out to the dashboard for no reason.

Also one of my achievements is stuck on 'done, unlocking' which is weird.

Top Bottom