• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OXM New Dragon Age Inquisition preview [No DLC character, 40 different endings]

They said ME3 would have 16. Just saying. Fool me, idk, three times? Noooo. I'll believe it when I see it, but I'm keeping my expectations low. Variants in world state outside of the ending or just a cutscene chosen at the last second don't count as different endings. The differences have to be experienced and felt, not just implied or picked all willy nilly. As far as I'm concerned, ME3 has exactly 1 ending. I would love nothing more then a return to form, but I think it would be foolish to be anything but skeptical at this point. Prove me wrong please.

If you think I'm being too negative, I think I'm being too forgiving. Two years ago I thought I would never even consider playing a Bioware game ever again. I may have cooled off, but lava turns to obsidian.

While the pessimism is fair enough, this was never actually a thing. It was a mistake by an IGN wiki guide.

I dont actually believe that bioware has ever stated how many endings their games will have.

Simzyy

It sounds awesome and I really hope it is too, if nothing else just to stop all BioWare topics to be about colours/DA2.

I fully expect the 40 different endings to be in reality different ending states for each region and each character kind of how the more recent Fallout's do it.

Effect

Yeah. No way in hell should anyone believe that 40 number. You'd think they'd learnt their lesson after what happen with Mass Effect but no. Don't get why they'd box themselves in like that either.

Jamie OD

Well, if they make the game properly there could be instant game ending choices, which could add endings quite fast.

IE.
Select option 'Step inside portal and have sex with a huge tentacle demon.'
Tell story how world becomes paradise without interactions of our hero and how he has fallen to deepest abyss to be rapturously ravaged by millions of tentacles.

Would fit usual Bioware mythos and would make certain group of players happy.

That's what I think too. Have some decisions that you are clearly not supposed to choose that will end in a sudden game over, eg
romancing Morinth
in Mass Effect 2. Also add some "ending" cutscenes for when you fail to beat a certain boss or accomplish an important mission and you can fill up those 40 endings quite easily.

cameron

No DLC companions is a good move. As for the 40 different endings, I'd be happy with just one decently written base ending.

Dumb Question:

Is this game any way related to the previous games? I haven't played Origins yet

Very much so. The main characters in both previous games will appear in the game (most likely as cameos), the game takes place in the same world and in the same time period, and a bunch of NPCs and themes from the first two games will most likely be revisited.

Seeing as DA2 was a bit of a flop and they are hoping to hit Skyrim numbers I suspect they will do everything in their power to make this game a bit of a reboot of the franchise so I'm sure they will do everything they can to get you up to speed.

Either way Origins is fantastic and you should probably play it.

Marvel

could never
I really don't understand why anyone could be hyped for this after DA2 and the whole ME3 mess

ibnTr1g30NPI0E_zps590dece8.gif

I loved both of those games.

Still hyped.

Xilium

I'm going to assume that the 40 endings are likely going to be 3-4 different endings with minor alterations spread between them (like Origins).

pottuvoi

Banned
That's what I think too. Have some decisions that you are clearly not supposed to choose that will end in a sudden game over, eg
romancing Morinth
in Mass Effect 2. Also add some "ending" cutscenes for when you fail to beat a certain boss or accomplish an important mission and you can fill up those 40 endings quite easily.
Add that there is 4 different playable races, so if they count dwarf dies as a different ending to elf dies there is only 10 endings.. (unless some races cannot have sex with tentacle demon, which does add to a variation.)

li bur

Alright I understand that saying you will have a good story this time won't make you get people attention.

But 40 endings?

Sheesh. No way in hell gamers would buy that kind of bull.

Tabby

As long as the ending isn't like the original ME3 ending where everything was the same but with a different colour I don't think I'll mind.

Grief.exe

Do you guys really believe Bioware can deliver a compelling product in 2014? Gameplay will probably be decent, yet dumbed down, with a completely derivative narrative.

Patryn

Dumb Question:

Is this game any way related to the previous games? I haven't played Origins yet

As said before, very much yes. A bit of the plot is recycled from a cancelled Dragon Age 2 expansion, one of the companions is a companion from DA2, another is a major character from that game as well, and in addition they've been hyping the return of a character from Origins.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I don't think this is the right way to go. I thought all three DLC companions from DA/DA2 and ME3 were excellent, ME3 in particular. I hope this isn't a case of a small vocal minority who don't understand SDLC ruining everything because of paranoia, and EA just wants to avoid bad press.

I don't think we're missing out on anything. Shale was good, but she was planned to be in from the start, but was cut due to time/budget constraints, but then brought back as DLC. So she worked out great and fit right in. Sebastian was shit all around from both a characterization point of view and from how he was sold to players as a CE bonus. Then Javik was a great character because he had a pivotal role in the game's story and felt like he was cut right out of the main script, but like Sebastian he was a CE bonus which was bullshit.

Really there are only two options for DLC characters, great interesting ones who feel like they should be a part of the main game like Shale and Javik, but come at an extra cost, or crappy ones who are tacked on and don't have much of a purpose at all like Sebastian and still costs extra. And since we aren't going to be missing out on a major companion like Javik or Shale, it simply means we won't be getting some dead weight companion like Sebastian and paying an extra 10-15 bucks. So sounds like a Win-Win to me.

If they really have an interesting companions that didn't make the main roster, they can always keep them in wings for an Awakening like Expansion and use them in a new party.

40 endings is a rather silly thing to say, since it's pretty much meaningless. It probably means 40 different epilogue slides, which is not really the same.

I hope they've learned from the faults of DA2 and the ME3 ending.
Ultimately, I just want a well-written ending that makes sense and reflects the key gameplay decisions.

What I don't want is to get to the final level and be told, "I know you've spent the whole game proving that [AI / apostates] can be nice people, but we're just going to ignore that and pretend they're all completely evil and must be stopped or the universe dies. We're also going to add a stupid [magic sword / spacekid] to resolve the game's interesting philosophical and moral themes in the dumbest way possible".

There were a lot of great things in ME3 and even in DA2. If Bioware can keep the good bits and avoid the bad, they've got a game of the year.

I don't think this is the right way to go. I thought all three DLC companions from DA/DA2 and ME3 were excellent, ME3 in particular. I hope this isn't a case of a small vocal minority who don't understand SDLC ruining everything because of paranoia, and EA just wants to avoid bad press.

But both DA2's and ME3's were clearly ripped from the main game and sold as extras. Especially Javik. I have no problem with story dlc when its truly optional or seperate but Javik is arguably the most important member of your team and clearly always intended to be a main part of the game due to how deeply integrated he is. I'd say his separation is even worse then when devs make "true ending" dlc. Doing that means you shipped 90% of a game. Javik was when you ship 100% of a game but then slice 10% out at the door and hold it for ransom.

I'm glad they are finally getting the picture that their BS about budget technicalities isn't fooling anybody.

Karu

I really don't understand why anyone could be hyped for this after DA2 and the whole ME3 mess, I'll wait a few weeks after release and see how people feel.
Because both are good games overall - with weaknesses, but still. Yep, said it. Really looking forward to DAI

That ending thing is obviously ghibberish, but since I don't pay much attention to that kind of comments, I'll be fine.

Actually everyone had access to grenades and poisons. And they appear to be back in DAI, they show the Inquisitor using Combustion Grenades to set fire to the Red Templar boats in that one gameplay presentation.

Oh, I see. Thanks for correcting me. :)

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Thats...disappointing. I really hope last gen doesn't hold this game back. Based on it's scale and ambitious ideas, not sure how it could NOT be held back.

I hate the fact that this game is a cross-gen title. That immediately narrows the scale they're trying to sell us on the game having.

I guess we'll have to wait for DA:I 2.

ironcreed

Banned
-According to the magazine, while enemy levels don't scale to your characters, you can affect environmental changes to drastically influence local settlements, establish trade routes, capture territory and disrupt the local ecosystem.
-Wild flora and fauna, useful for crafting can be hunted to scarcity, allowing other species to proliferate.
-Defeating intelligent enemies like bandits or dragons will have a significant effect on a given region.

-There will be no DLC Companions: According to Creative Director Mike Laidlaw: "Because of how deeply enmeshed in the system companion characters are, we can't just add them on the fly; part of them has to be shipped on the disc...which was led to criticism that we're forcing people to pay for content they already own. It's not the case, but we've decided this time to not go that route. There will be no DLC party members."

God-tier. Give it to me now.

ironcreed

Banned
Do you guys really believe Bioware can deliver a compelling product in 2014? Gameplay will probably be decent, yet dumbed down, with a completely derivative narrative.

Sure I do. It's looking like a fun game with more of a world to explore and quest in. Which is good enough for me.

Very much so. The main characters in both previous games will appear in the game (most likely as cameos), the game takes place in the same world and in the same time period, and a bunch of NPCs and themes from the first two games will most likely be revisited.

Seeing as DA2 was a bit of a flop and they are hoping to hit Skyrim numbers I suspect they will do everything in their power to make this game a bit of a reboot of the franchise so I'm sure they will do everything they can to get you up to speed.

Either way Origins is fantastic and you should probably play it.

I will have to get on that. I've been putting it off for too long. I tried DA2 and just didn't feel smooth

I believe they are capable when let off the leash that has been strangling them the past few years. Expectations are low, but there is a desire that they redeem themselves and return to form, and I do have more confidence that the DA team can that pull it off far more then the ME team, mainly due to their respective lead writers.

Ridesh

Banned
4 years ago they released a game with a 96 in Metacritic which was also GAF GOTY that year. Since then, DA:I is the only game that seems to have a proper development time and looked good before release (everyone knew that DAII would be a stinker).

So yeah, I believe it.

Will this game be mod-friendly? I want to hear Nick Cage scream, "OH GOD!! NOT THE BEES!! THE'RE IN MY EYES!! AAAAAGHH!!" every time we use the bee jar power.

It will not be. They've explicitly said no mod support.

Heh... if they want Skyrim numbers and longevity, no mod support for PC is pretty stupid. Obviously not even at launch but to just flatly rule out mod support even post release seems really dumb if they want this game to approach Skyrim levels of popularity.

Really, DA:I would be a nice way for Origin to do something to match Steam Workshop for modding but that's asking for too much I suppose.

Ogimachi

1- No info on humble origins yet.
2- "The Inquisitor is the sole survivor of a reality-shattering event which results in the Fade tearing opening throughout Thedas." Yes.
3- Apparently you're the sole survivor, but I'll bet you get two companions shorly after. Loosely or completely fits the cliché.
4- Yes.
5- Article mentions 5 regions you can explore, but we don't know if you must travel to four of them.
6- No info yet.
7- Yes.
8- Probably not.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
1- No info on humble origins yet.
2- "The Inquisitor is the sole survivor of a reality-shattering event which results in the Fade tearing opening throughout Thedas." Yes.
3- Apparently you're the sole survivor, but I'll bet you get two companions shorly after. Loosely or completely fits the cliché.
4- Yes.
5- Article mentions 5 regions you can explore, but we don't know if you must travel to four of them.
6- No info yet.
7- Yes.
8- Probably not.

Do you consider this a problem?

40 endings is a rather silly thing to say, since it's pretty much meaningless. It probably means 40 different epilogue slides, which is not really the same.

I hope they've learned from the faults of DA2 and the ME3 ending.
Ultimately, I just want a well-written ending that makes sense and reflects the key gameplay decisions.

What I don't want is to get to the final level and be told, "I know you've spent the whole game proving that [AI / apostates] can be nice people, but we're just going to ignore that and pretend they're all completely evil and must be stopped or the universe dies. We're also going to add a stupid [magic sword / spacekid] to resolve the game's interesting philosophical and moral themes in the dumbest way possible".

There were a lot of great things in ME3 and even in DA2. If Bioware can keep the good bits and avoid the bad, they've got a game of the year.

I'm guessing there are 4 main out comes, then 10 variations of that each shaped by some key decisions. That is similar enough to what they deny having done but dissimilar enough to not be a lie.

Edit: Two main out comes for each gender.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
There's no DLC companions because there are microtransactions and the no-doubt inevitable multiplayer system will have a FIFA/ME3-style gambling unlock system

Top Bottom