• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OXM New Dragon Age Inquisition preview [No DLC character, 40 different endings]

Some Nobody

1- No info on humble origins yet.
2- "The Inquisitor is the sole survivor of a reality-shattering event which results in the Fade tearing opening throughout Thedas." Yes.
3- Apparently you're the sole survivor, but I'll bet you get two companions shorly after. Loosely or completely fits the cliché.
4- Yes.
5- Article mentions 5 regions you can explore, but we don't know if you must travel to four of them.
6- No info yet.
7- Yes.
8- Probably not.

That chart is an example of why you shouldn't break things too far down in a search for similarities, because all stories end up sounding the same. Those plot elements can be applied to a LOT more than just Bioware.

Will this game be mod-friendly? I want to hear Nick Cage scream, "OH GOD!! NOT THE BEES!! THE'RE IN MY EYES!! AAAAAGHH!!" every time we use the bee jar power.

beeweapon.jpg

Ogimachi

Do you consider this a problem?
No, because I don't expect anything from Bioware anymore.
That chart is an example of why you shouldn't break things too far down in a search for similarities, because all stories end up sounding the same. Those plot elements can be applied to a LOT more than just Bioware.
If you pick the clichés separately, I'm sure it can be applied to a lot more than just Bioware, but the combination is not that common.
Some of them are ok, but the devastating battle+elite organization+highly advanced ancient civilization combo in the same is pretty fucking boring. The rest can only make it worse.

The cliche chart is kind of shitty.

I only played Dragon Age 1, but I really like the world of Ferelden, and this sequel looks decent enough. I'll try it out.

Yup. In fact, for KOTOR

The humble origins part turns out to be the exact opposite of what you are. And that's the twist.

There's no DLC companions because there are microtransactions and the no-doubt inevitable multiplayer system will have a FIFA/ME3-style gambling unlock system

Speaking seriously, I don't know how they'd do multiplayer for this series.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Speaking seriously, I don't know how they'd do multiplayer for this series.

I have a feeling it will be like ME3. Wave based enemies over varying types and you have to work together to repel them and complete objectives, wouldn't be surprised if you have to take or hold castles and towns and what have you.

Pretty simple and straightforward really. I would be surprised to see competitive multiplayer. I don't know if I'll partake much at all, but we'll see. As long as it doesn't have a large influence on the single player portion of the game like ME3, nor feels like it took undo attention and resources away from the single player I don't care that it's there or how they monetize it.

I have a feeling it will be like ME3. Wave based enemies over varying types and you have to work together to repel them and complete objectives, wouldn't be surprised if you have to take or hold castles and towns and what have you.

Pretty simple and straightforward really. I would be surprised to see competitive multiplayer. I don't know if I'll partake much at all, but we'll see. As long as it doesn't have a large influence on the single player portion of the game like ME3, nor feels like it took undo attention and resources away from the single player I don't care that it's there or how they monetize it.

DA has a lot more item/power management than ME though. Battle-pausing is very common, even for main character actions. They'd have to simplify it greatly in some manner. You can't have gameplay paused any time one of your fellow players want to pause the battle.

Health and mana/stamina potions to manage, activated abilities, limited projectiles (flasks) are all things for which you'd want to pause battle.

Patryn

DA has a lot more item/power management than ME though. Battle-pausing is very common, even for main character actions. They'd have to simplify it greatly in some manner. You can't have gameplay paused any time one of your fellow players want to pause the battle.

Health and mana/stamina potions to manage, activated abilities, limited projectiles (flasks) are all things for which you'd want to pause battle.

That's easy. Setup loadouts, so you only have a limited set of powers (3 or 4) that each map to a button. Potions and flasks just mapped to the D-pad and you have limited quantities very similar to ME3 style. Flasks can operate like grenades so you don't need to pause to aim them.

Done!

Firebrand

6. Customization:

-Armour weights are no longer class specific. Meaning a rogue can wear a mage's robes, and a mage can wear a warrior's armour. The magazine speculates the penalties will be similar to the fatigue penalties used in DA: Origins

Well, I quite liked the stamina system in DA, except... they then gave you set-bonuses that negated most or all of the penalties, in some cases turning the stamina penalty into a bonus.

That's easy. Setup loadouts, so you only have a limited set of powers (3 or 4) that each map to a button. Potions and flasks just mapped to the D-pad and you have limited quantities very similar to ME3 style. Flasks can operate like grenades so you don't need to pause to aim them.

Done!

Load outs in a fantasy game just sounds icky. But I think your point is sound. It will just be interesting since the melee/ranged dichotomy is much stronger in fantasy games. Are there any popular co-op/MP games out there with huge melee components (such as having characters completely dedicated to it?)

image.php

I love the Dragon Age series, so my hype is through the roof for this game!

image.php

DLC characters was a load of bullshit in the first dragon age and in the mass effect games. Nothing is less inviting to a game's lore than knowing that you have to pay your way into unlocking it. I never bought the dlc character for mass effect 3 and by all accounts the character had a vital role to play in the game's world. I wasn't going to be part of the problem, though, so I'll never know what I missed.

SO AWESOME!!! :O

Andodalf

Banned
Am I the only one who really liked the way ME3 did microtransactions, and multiplayer as a whole? I found the MTs unobtrusive, and the actual game fun. I really hope this game can live up to it!

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Well, I quite liked the stamina system in DA, except... they then gave you set-bonuses that negated most or all of the penalties, in some cases turning the stamina penalty into a bonus.

Yeah that's just a balancing issue, just make the full bonuses contingent on passing all the base requirements.

I would love for armor stats and armor to be independent of one another somehow. I hate finding cool looking armor early on but then be forced to wear something else because it quickly gets out classed and useless in fights. It would be great if you could take armors of the same class and swap their stats, so that cool rugged looking armor you got in the first 5 hours of the game can still be useful 20 hours later.

No need for complex upgrade systems, or attachment systems to decide attributes and what not, just give swaps the stats of Armor X and Armor Y. Find some new armor you like better but it doesn't have as good of stats as the one you have now, no problem just swap them out.

Same for weapons. Though I'm sure it would be a coding nightmare, especially for save data, but that's not my problem.

Ashodin

I bet each region will be ginormous. Watching the video of exploring one of the regions (I think it was Orlais) was pretty staggering on its own.

Madness

Kinda backing themselves into a corner with comments like this.

Just like ME2 and it's various ending situations and how they had to "forget" a lot of things for Mass Effect 3 or add random characters, hire voice actors to fill roles etc.

Raitningz

I'm impressed. I was quite set that I wasn't going to give BW my money after DA II, but DA: Inquisition is getting me interested. Still don't like how the combat looks, though. But I couldn't care less, really. I just want a good story, choices that matter, diverse and beautiful environments to explore.

They should really stop with all the ending craziness, it either bites them in the ass when they don't deliver or they back themselves into a corner when they have to make a sequel.

Ridesh

Banned
I bet each region will be ginormous. Watching the video of exploring one of the regions (I think it was Orlais) was pretty staggering on its own.

Which video?

If you're refering to the 30 minutes gameplay, that's just Crestwood, a location inside Ferelden.

-"Bioware is promising a staggering 40 possible endings for the game, dependent not only on choices made in character generation but by actions taken throughout the storyline. [Mark] Darrah stresses, however, that the endings will all be meaningfully different from one another. You won't find 40 endings with only slight degrees of variation between them."

I have been sitting here for like five minutes trying to figure out a way to word my skepticism about this and just

I just can't

There are not words to convey how much I do not believe this to be true

JeffG

I have been sitting here for like five minutes trying to figure out a way to word my skepticism about this and just

I just can't

There are not words to convey how much I do not believe this to be true
Its based on how you define "slight".

You allow Town X to be destroyed due to a choice. 2 different endings right there (not even counting the minor changes in the game due to the choice)

Some people will see that as a slight change, others won't.

Patryn

Load outs in a fantasy game just sounds icky. But I think your point is sound. It will just be interesting since the melee/ranged dichotomy is much stronger in fantasy games. Are there any popular co-op/MP games out there with huge melee components (such as having characters completely dedicated to it?)

The bigger implication of all this is that there will likely be no FF on AOE magic spells. Could you imagine MP with FF on the mage spells and no pause function to set placement?

Its based on how you define "slight".

You allow Town X to be destroyed due to a choice. 2 different endings right there (not even counting the minor changes in the game due to the choice)

Some people will see that as a slight change, others won't.

Oh, I am positive it is actually weaselly wording.

I just think that if you interpret that as the hype-creating statement it is trying to be, it is going to really disappoint a lot of people.

JeffG

Oh, I am positive it is actually weaselly wording.

I just think that if you interpret that as the hype-creating statement it is trying to be, it is going to really disappoint a lot of people.

If some people think there will be 40 endings that are vastly different....well...disappointment is the least of their issues.

I loved my sarcastic wise cracking Hawk/Shepard. As long as I get an inquisitor like that I will be happy.

Kurtofan

LOL 40 different "ENDINGS" my ass it'll be like Fallout 3 all over again and just be a powerpoint presentation

DAO and Awakening had ending slides as well, as far as I remember it wasn't bad.

New Vegas also had the slides but they were so much better than the F3 ones.

Ending slides can be good if done right.

Trying not to get my hopes up.... But it's hard with statements like this. But dragon age 2 was so bad it can't get worse... Can it? CAN IT?????

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Kinda worried about the map. How are they gonna add so many regions like Ferelden and Orlais without them being tiny? Don't think the game's world will be any bigger than Skyrim or TW3

Ridesh

Banned
Kinda worried about the map. How are they gonna add so many regions like Ferelden and Orlais without them being tiny? Don't think the game's world will be any bigger than Skyrim or TW3

The structure is like Origins, but with each area being enormous. Not true open world like Skyrim.

In the gameplay video they showed 2 areas, Crestwood and a desert, both are huge.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yes, MOBAs, RTS titles, and Diablo like games.

Trigger

How would they even handle writing sequels to a game with 40 truly unique endings? There's really nothing wrong with having ending slides if the stories surrounding them are enjoyable. It didn't bother me in DA:O or New Vegas. Exaggerating just lowers my opinion of them.

Airgetlam

Can we choose the armor for our whole party? It was kind of stupid how we could only do so for our own character in 2. Which basically meant if you got anything that wasn't for your class it was basically junk to sell.

Ridesh

Banned
Can we choose the armor for our whole party? It was kind of stupid how we could only do so for our own character in 2. Which basically meant if you got anything that wasn't for your class it was basically junk to sell.

Yes.

And there's a new system that adapts every armor to each companion style.

Examples on how this works:

Armors4.jpg

Armors5.jpg

Top Bottom