• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OXM Rumor: Halo 2 Anniversary being developed

This is a really good point. I would actually be interested in seeing that, maybe they could even put the section from the famous E3 Demo reveal back into the game and call it "Halo 2 Complete(d) Edition" or something.
Why would you want that scripted mess in a Halo game?

TheOddOne

Would make sense as the 2013 annual Halo title.
Meh, I found Halo 2 the most boring of the bunch, as a mainly SP gamer I ran through a lot of Halo 2 sadly due to how meh I found it.

I really wouldn't be surprised if this was to come out inline with the 720 either seeing as MS is content with CoD'ing their IPs now.
dat milk

edit: sigh, since you kids want more substance. Figures, if true, that Microsoft will remake another halo game instead of investing in new franchises....
These comment always come off as ridiculous. "Gotta put a snarky remark here so I can complain about something I never will or have the intention to play. I feel real good."

By the seventh million Halo thread you think people would move on. Tells us more about what your intention are.

Why bother with the campagin ? Everyone will play MP right ?

And that will seriously hurt Halo 4 community ?

So they should remake Halo 2 MP for Xbox 8 as launch app ?

Muffdraul

Because early scripted demos are supposed to develop into awesome procedural full games. Not bringing that demo section into the game virtually as-is was a huge mistake, cost Halo 2 a lot of hearts and minds. So many fans were desperately looking forward to getting to play that part for almost two years.

KageMaru

Meh, hard to be excited for the weakest campaign in the series. Hopefully it'll port over better than CEA did.

Sorry, but if they're going to remake a game, they should wait at least 2 generations so the improvements are obvious.

You don't think the difference between CE and CEA is noticeable?

Besides if this launches in 2014, it'll be no the 720, it would be a 2 generation wait.

Petrichor

Fucking shameful if I'm the only one who doesn't need to google "forerunner tank" to know what it is. >=|

"Only blood will pay for this"

"I am the monument to all your sins"

"forerunner tank"

Wasn't this the extent of jason jones' contribution to Halo 2 according to the cut-scene commentaries?

And only one got used.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Those aren't remakes. They're re-releases, which don't typically get sold for $60+ dollars.
As someone else noted, Halo CE Anniversary came out at $40.

The only possible case of "milking" I see in the Halo franchise is Halo 3: ODST. It was an amazing package and well worth its price to me, but it probably should've been $40 instead of $60, and perhaps marketed a little differently.

Flipyap

That scripted mess was less scripted than the H4LO demo at this year's E3 and didn't look any messier than what actually ended up in the final version of Halo 2. Pretty much every overly scripted part of that demo was used in a Halo game at some point, with the exception of the coolest one - the Jackal phalanx.
Why would you NOT want that fairly huge, open level in a Halo game?

okay. I am fine with this. I bought the Halo:CE Anniversary for 19.99 and I am okay with that. I will do the same for Halo 2. Not for $40, but definitely $20. A 720 game would be okay.

blamite

Because every single Halo fan in the world would like to play that level.
...until they actually played it and realized they were just driving around in circles fighting shooting gallery targets.

That demo was great for generating hype but awful in terms of actual gameplay. It was cut for a good reason, after all.

Woorloog

Banned
That demo was great for generating hype but awful in terms of actual gameplay. It was cut for a good reason, after all.

Probably. Doesn't mean it cannot be turned into a proper map though. With some heavy work. Probably not worth the effort.
Too bad ODST didn't have a similar area with a lot of other Marines, i think otherwise the city in ODST felt a lot like the city in the Halo 2 campaign demo.

Muffdraul

...until they actually played it and realized they were just driving around in circles fighting shooting gallery targets.

You guys don't get it. MOST early demos shown at E3 or wherever are like that, all smoke and mirrors not intended to ever reach the hands of the public. But most of those demos are lifted from the game in development as work-in-progress, and they keep working on them until they're the real thing. There's no reason Bungie couldn't have done this with the E3 2003 demo. Why they made the decision to chop it up into little chunks and spread them around the early levels of the game is a mystery, but it probably had something to do with the fact that the ENGINE they used to make the demo wasn't viable and had to be thrown out. I get that. Still no reason they couldn't have rebuilt it in the engine that the game later shipped on.

Muffdraul

Dud you are so coooooo

What the hell do you mean c'mon now? How the hell am I supposed to remember the name of something that hasn't been mentioned in YEARS?

Jeez

Hey, I remembered it. Not my fault you're not as coo' as I am wid da Halo 2 apocrypha and also wid da ladiez.

Ally1987

take-my-money.jpg

blamite

You guys don't get it. MOST early demos shown at E3 or wherever are like that, all smoke and mirrors not intended to ever reach the hands of the public. But most of those demos are lifted from the game in development as work-in-progress, and they keep working on them until they're the real thing. There's no reason Bungie couldn't have done this with the E3 2003 demo. Why they made the decision to chop it up into little chunks and spread them around the early levels of the game is a mystery, but it probably had something to do with the fact that the ENGINE they used to make the demo wasn't viable and had to be thrown out. I get that. Still no reason they couldn't have rebuilt it in the engine that the game later shipped on.
You should check out the Halo 2 Making of video. It sheds a lot of light on the situation regarding that E3 demo and the rushed crunch afterwards. The game had a super rocky development cycle the entire way through.

Muffdraul

You should check out the Halo 2 Making of video. It sheds a lot of light on the situation regarding that E3 demo and the rushed crunch afterwards. The game had a super rocky development cycle the entire way through.

Seen it a few times, it was a Halo 3 Legendary Edition bonus. Same place I learned of Forerunner Tank. Also where I learned about the E3 2003 demo engine being shit canned. Offers no insight whatsoever as to why they didn't rebuild the content from the demo in the new engine. They could have, they chose not to. Or at least, they could have gotten a LOT closer than they did. It was a design choice, a bad one IMO.

Sojgat

So anybody who isn't in the know about Forerunner Tank has lost their Halo cred, is that what's happening here?

Forerunner Tank, never forget.

Top Bottom