• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PA Report - The Xbox One will kill used games, that's good

NickMitch

Going after used games and piracy as a top priority instead of creating smooth consumer friendly services is plain stupid. Just look how the music industry has finally opened up and realized that most of us are ready to pay rather than lending, pirating as long as the prices and contents match the expectations and quality demands we have. The AAA games being frowned upon by gamers in conjuction with a surveillance console with a camera is a coctail full of disaster

You know guys, I just wonder what it'll be like in twenty years or so when servers are shut down and these games are still vied after as classics.

The other day I bought a few SNES games from a local game shop. Two of them (Donkey Kong Country, Lion King) aren't available on any modern service and can only legally be played on the original hardware.

Obviously we're moving towards a digital age where companies will be releasing their back catalogs as digital downloads, but there will certainly be some games that slip through the cracks, whether it be licensing, lack of interest, programming issues etc. So what the hell are we going to do then?

You know I kind of liked when I'd fire up a game console and it would just play the game. Why does gaming have to be such a fucking chore?

FyreWulff

You know guys, I just wonder what it'll be like in twenty years or so when servers are shut down and these games are still vied after as classics.

The other day I bought a few SNES games from a local game shop. Two of them (Donkey Kong Country, Lion King) aren't available on any modern service and can only legally be played on the original hardware.

Obviously we're moving towards a digital age where companies will be releasing their back catalogs as digital downloads, but there will certainly be some games that slip through the cracks, whether it be licensing, lack of interest, programming issues etc. So what the hell are we going to do then?

You know I kind of liked when I'd fire up a game console and it would just play the game. Why does gaming have to be such a fucking chore?

They'll just be unusable. Every Halo, Gears, and Forza that comes out at this point has an expiration date on being playable at some point in the future. The big offline userbase for Halo will probably move on elsewhere.

Shaneus

They'll just be unusable. Every Halo, Gears, and Forza that comes out at this point has an expiration date on being playable at some point in the future. The big offline userbase for Halo will probably move on elsewhere.
Holy shit, that's exactly right as well. In 5-10 years, as long as the console's working I'll still be able to play all my 360 XBLA games as well as disc games. With this system, you may or may not be able to play either.

Is anyone else thinking with the backlash (other than people from the media who can't get their nose far up enough developers' arsecheeks) that MS might actually disable this completely? I just get the impression that once it gets into public knowledge that in a few years you can't resell your games or perhaps even play them, it'll be a bigger deal than just a (big) number of desperate, essentially helpless protests on gaming forums

FyreWulff

Holy shit, that's exactly right as well. In 5-10 years, as long as the console's working I'll still be able to play all my 360 XBLA games as well as disc games. With this system, you may or may not be able to play either.

The best part? Assuming they do a Halo 2 or Halo 3 Anniversary, you won't be able to play them at some point in the future. But you'll still be able to play the original versions, including on LAN, well past the Xbone's servers being shut down as long as you have the hardware.

tafer

The industry is young, moves fast and there is a lot of money involved. And I'm afraid that these anti-customer garbage is going to hit it hard eventually.

If you think about it's quite funny. While console gaming is becoming increasingly awkward and even inconvenient, "mobile" gaming and PC gaming are becoming more convenient and cheaper. If these trends continue, customers will be forced to move to these friendlier ecosystems that ironically are incompatible to the policies that these short sighted industry executives are trying to establish: one is a super competitive arena dominated by artificially low prices and the other one is an open platform impossible to control.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Every time a traded in video game is purchased, a publisher sees it as a lost sale. You can disagree with them if you want, but by their logic, the damage is substantial.

They're also the ones that think basing their future earnings on blockbuster games like COD is perfectly reasonable, despite a ton of evidence that this rarely happens. Not to mention the money these companies have wasted trying to make the next COD, or WOW, instead of exploring new ideas with a more restrained budget. I don't feel confident their logic is sound, not to mention my own first hand experience. If I really want a game, I never buy it used unless its the only copy I can find. The games I've purchased used were games I was never going spend full price on (or the $5 off used price for new releases). The only way I would buy any of these games now in a no used game world is to wait for them to tank at retail. Trust me, those developers we're supposedly supporting in this instance aren't getting any money here either once the publisher has to reimburse the retailer for unsold units in credits, price protection, returns.

Shaneus

The industry is young, moves fast and there is a lot of money involved. And I'm afraid that these anti-customer garbage is going to hit it hard eventually.

If you think about it's quite funny. While console gaming is becoming increasingly awkward and even inconvenient, "mobile" gaming and PC gaming are becoming more convenient and cheaper. If these trends continue, customers will be forced to move to these friendlier ecosystems that ironically are incompatible to the policies that these short sighted industry executives are trying to establish: one is a super competitive arena dominated by artificially low prices and the other one is an open platform impossible to control.
I... wow. Mind blown. Steam Big Picture mode says hi. It honestly looks like it would be easier to boot your PC and start BP mode. That involves turning your PC on and, well, if it's configured right it will come up with that from the get go.

Dead Man

I... wow. Mind blown. Steam Big Picture mode says hi. It honestly looks like it would be easier to boot your PC and start BP mode. That involves turning your PC on and, well, if it's configured right it will come up with that from the get go.

Yep. I think the next gen might be my last if Sony keep up with MS on all this bullshit. Instead of a HTPC, I'll just hook up my game rig to my tv and go from there. Especially if the 4k tv's are here in quality and price in the next 3 years or so.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!

What does this have to do with anything either person posted.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
It relates to the discussion about the original draw of console gaming (its simplicity) disappearing, and mobile and PC gaming getting simpler.

I thought was addressed fine in the post he quoted, it sounded like he was getting ready to attack the "comfy couch" defense for those who prefer consoles to PCs. We don't need that shit in this thread.

Dead Man

I thought was addressed fine in the post he quoted, it sounded like he was getting ready to attack the "comfy couch" defense for those who prefer consoles to PCs. We don't need that shit in this thread.

At least wait for an attack before getting your hackles up man. Come on.

Shaneus

What? I was exclaiming my surprise at the realisation (covered in the post I quoted) that indeed, consoles are becoming more complex to boot up and play (at least, the One) whilst the PC is getting easier (with Comfy Couch).

So you thought I was going to be against comfy couch PC gaming? I'm not sure I understand your angle.

Atrophis

I can't remember the last time I installed a game on my pc. Took 3 hours of installs and updates before I could play GT5 bought a couple of months ago.

unbias

This is like a religious argument - some around here base their arguments off of the idea that used sales generate more money for developers and gaming in general with no information to back that up. This is why I think that the level of hyperbole around here is just crazy.

The fact that some company can slash $5 off a new game, and even more off an older game, and churn it on through to the tune of a $2 billion+ a year, does not make me comfortable. Developers and publishers have a right to try to minimize that thing - why do you think they are okay with huge Steam sales? A used market can always gouge a "new" (publisher-driven) one, particularly given how much of a poor deal almost every used game credit is.

It is called reality, the game industry isnt some unique snowflake impervious to typical economic conditions. The 2nd hand market is not forgone growth, either put up the numbers that show that it is frogone growth or stop trying to claim they know. If what they said was actual provable reality, we would have the numbers and they would be in the public eye.

You are full of it, until you prove(game companies included) otherwise. But then again, I'm assuming you gobble up whatever the RIAA and MPAA feeds you as well?

But Gamestop would never accept that original trade if person 2 wasn't going to buy the used game. Why shouldn't Gamestop benefit? They are the middleman. You just want them to give people free money and throw the discs away?

No, here's the problem. Tomb Raider sold 3.4m units in the space of a month and it's a "failure" because it will fail to recoup its budget.

THREE POINT FOUR MILLION FUCKING UNITS FOR WHAT IS ESSENTIALLY A B-TIER FRANCHISE AND THAT'S STILL NOT ENOUGH TO MAKE ANY MONEY.

And killing used games would have solved this how? Would it have made the execs at Squenix who thought throwing $100m budget at a franchise that's been irrelevant since the turn of the century suddenly get a clue?

Oh, but no, they argue "GAMERS PUSH FOR HIGHER AND HIGHER BUDGETS AND WE HAVE TO GIVE THEM WHAT THEY WANT! THEIR ENTITLEMENT COMPLEX CAN'T BE SATIATED! WE HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO LET BUDGETS SPIRAL OUT OF CONTROL!" and that's lovely, but since when did they ever give a fuck about what we actually thought?

Are Microsoft going to turn around and backtrack on this DRM fiasco because "WE HAVE TO GIVE GAMERS WHAT THEY WANT!"? Are they fuck.

Are EA going to throw all their games up on Steam and patch Sim City to not need the stupid Origin authentication because "THAT'S WHAT THOSE ENTITLED GAMERS ARE SCREAMING FOR!"? Fuck no.

If you couldn't afford to give people what they wanted, then why didn't you just turn around and say no like you do with every other thing we complain about? Here's why; Every publisher big and small decided to get into a dick waving contest and it turns out that not everyone has a big dick. Squenix got its tiny little acorn cock out and went up against Mandingo Activision screaming "LOOK AT MY MASSIVE JUNK! YOU'LL WANT TO CARE FOR IT!" and everyone just turned around and shrugged and bought something else.

Not everyone has a big dick. Acting like you have a big dick when you don't have a big dick is going to make the reveal of your tiny little penis all the more humiliating. And that's what happened here. Squenix acted like Tomb Raider, a franchise that habitually sells less than 3m lifetime per entry was going to suddenly sell COD numbers just because they spent $100m on it and guess what happened? THE FUCKING INEVITABLE.

In terms of the franchise post-Core, the game is going to do really well, probably double what you'd expect from a Tomb Raider game post-PSone but it cost far, far too much.

But no, it's all used games that did this. Used games made Capcom make some horrible design decisions on DmC and piss off the entire fanbase. Used games made Activision and EA flood the market with guitar games and accessories long after people stopped caring. Used games made Microsoft make a fourth Gears of War game that nobody asked for from a developer nobody cares about. Used games made Sony pump out another God of War game after they spent the past few years flooding the market with HD remasters. Used games made Sony make a Smash Bros clone with no appealing characters to help sell it. Used games made Bizarre Creations make James Bond and racing games no-one wanted. Used games make publishers shutter studios the moment the game they were working on goes gold, before they've even had a chance to sell a single new copy, let alone a used one.

I could go on. And on. And on. You could write a book about every single executive level screw-up this gen and yet these same people with their million dollar salaries and their shill puppets still try to insult our intelligence and blame used games and awful, entitled consumers for companies shutting and talented people losing their jobs.

So please forgive our cynicism when we don't want to buy into the bullshit you're spouting.
Perfect post.

Effect

But Gamestop would never accept that original trade if person 2 wasn't going to buy the used game. Why shouldn't Gamestop benefit? They are the middleman. You just want them to give people free money and throw the discs away?

No, here's the problem. Tomb Raider sold 3.4m units in the space of a month and it's a "failure" because it will fail to recoup its budget.

THREE POINT FOUR MILLION FUCKING UNITS FOR WHAT IS ESSENTIALLY A B-TIER FRANCHISE AND THAT'S STILL NOT ENOUGH TO MAKE ANY MONEY.

And killing used games would have solved this how? Would it have made the execs at Squenix who thought throwing $100m budget at a franchise that's been irrelevant since the turn of the century suddenly get a clue?

Oh, but no, they argue "GAMERS PUSH FOR HIGHER AND HIGHER BUDGETS AND WE HAVE TO GIVE THEM WHAT THEY WANT! THEIR ENTITLEMENT COMPLEX CAN'T BE SATIATED! WE HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO LET BUDGETS SPIRAL OUT OF CONTROL!" and that's lovely, but since when did they ever give a fuck about what we actually thought?

Are Microsoft going to turn around and backtrack on this DRM fiasco because "WE HAVE TO GIVE GAMERS WHAT THEY WANT!"? Are they fuck.

Are EA going to throw all their games up on Steam and patch Sim City to not need the stupid Origin authentication because "THAT'S WHAT THOSE ENTITLED GAMERS ARE SCREAMING FOR!"? Fuck no.

If you couldn't afford to give people what they wanted, then why didn't you just turn around and say no like you do with every other thing we complain about? Here's why; Every publisher big and small decided to get into a dick waving contest and it turns out that not everyone has a big dick. Squenix got its tiny little acorn cock out and went up against Mandingo Activision screaming "LOOK AT MY MASSIVE JUNK! YOU'LL WANT TO CARE FOR IT!" and everyone just turned around and shrugged and bought something else.

Not everyone has a big dick. Acting like you have a big dick when you don't have a big dick is going to make the reveal of your tiny little penis all the more humiliating. And that's what happened here. Squenix acted like Tomb Raider, a franchise that habitually sells less than 3m lifetime per entry was going to suddenly sell COD numbers just because they spent $100m on it and guess what happened? THE FUCKING INEVITABLE.

In terms of the franchise post-Core, the game is going to do really well, probably double what you'd expect from a Tomb Raider game post-PSone but it cost far, far too much.

But no, it's all used games that did this. Used games made Capcom make some horrible design decisions on DmC and piss off the entire fanbase. Used games made Activision and EA flood the market with guitar games and accessories long after people stopped caring. Used games made Microsoft make a fourth Gears of War game that nobody asked for from a developer nobody cares about. Used games made Sony pump out another God of War game after they spent the past few years flooding the market with HD remasters. Used games made Sony make a Smash Bros clone with no appealing characters to help sell it. Used games made Bizarre Creations make James Bond and racing games no-one wanted. Used games make publishers shutter studios the moment the game they were working on goes gold, before they've even had a chance to sell a single new copy, let alone a used one.

I could go on. And on. And on. You could write a book about every single executive level screw-up this gen and yet these same people with their million dollar salaries and their shill puppets still try to insult our intelligence and blame used games and awful, entitled consumers for companies shutting and talented people losing their jobs.

So please forgive our cynicism when we don't want to buy into the bullshit you're spouting.

This can't be quoted enough and seriously it must be read. Then read again. No customer should ever be accepting of blame being placed upon them by these companies. Ever.

Sorry, but again, you are implying that the industry wont take a hit for this, by saying that gamers will just buy it anyways(you are essentially saying the game industry can do whatever it wants and still hit profit, outside of out of control budgets). You may not be intentionally saying this, but you are saying it.

If they hit the 2nd hand market, I dont care what they do to try and mitigate it, there will be a loss, and the only way they will be able to mitigate is steam like sales, and I'm willing to be they wont do what steam does. The game industry(console developers) is not impervious to rescission/contraction.

Well... Will you look at the bolded part XD
You are making strawmans here. I never implied anything of the above, not in any place or post ever. You are making stuff up to argue about it.

The point im making is, that in the end complaining here does nothing, if companies impose this then videogamers just will just obey the master's will.

Do you understand now?

What these companies could implement to mitigate the effects of this anti consumer move is something for example like... say you bought a DD game, if you give up on the license the service could return some credits to expend in another game. That's where this industry is pointing, instead of you know, making a revision of the BS model they have implemented and gamers supported.

And then look what a leak is saying:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=58996241&postcount=1
A gamer walks into a retailer and hands over the game they wish to sell. This will only be possible at retailers who have agreed to Microsoft’s T&Cs and more importantly integrated Microsoft’s cloud-based Azure pre-owned system into its own.

The game is then registered as having been trade-in on Microsoft’s system. The consumer who handed it over will subsequently see the game wiped from their account – hence the until now ambiguous claim from Phil Harrison that the Xbox One would have to ‘check in’ to Microsoft’s servers every 24 hours.

The retailer can then sell the pre-owned game at whatever price they like, although as part of the system the publisher of the title in question will automatically receive a percentage cut of the sale. As will Microsoft. The retailer will pocket the rest.
To no surprise i was pretty much on the money. The system applied to retail games instead of a DD like in my example, but basicaly the same thing. Consumers here lose a lot of control but still retain (some what) the "right" to sell or buy an used the game.

There's no way gamers will oppose that system, they'll quickly adapt to it as long as MS, Sony and big publishers say so.

Ridiculous to see the "AAA blockbuster model" blamed. It exists because it was the only alternative when mid-tier became unsustainable, which occurred because...people didn't buy mid-tier games. At least not new, which is the only way that publishers get a return on their investment. In other words, it's a product of companies giving people what they're willing to pay for.

Used games funneling money from game creators to resellers engaged in arbitrage and price discrimination is a problem.

Price discrimination is obviously a necessary tactic to maximize sales over time, but consoles don't have a good way to handle this right now. On Steam, it's "I'll wait for the Steam sale" - not a problem, since the publisher still sees a significant chunk of the revenue, and that's the reason that the PC market is exponentially better at the indie to mid tier levels than consoles these days. On consoles, it's "I'll buy it used," which nets most publishers nearly $0, since only a sliver of the money is recycled into new games (and nearly all that is recycled goes towards those "AAA blockbuster games").

Ridiculous to see the "AAA blockbuster model" blamed. It exists because it was the only alternative when mid-tier became unsustainable, which occurred because...people didn't buy mid-tier games

Since when? How do we know that when they don't make them anymore?

And can't we have variance even on the high-tier level games? Do we need mo-capped dogs, fish AI and celebrity voice acting?

If they're going to complain about the consumer and how we're fucking it all up for them, maybe they should get their own shit sorted out first. Especially when used entertainment has been around much longer than games have been. It's a bullshit excuse.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Since when? How do we know that when they don't make them anymore?
Industry wisdom, probably. Just like the countless examples of bs spread through hearsay and scapegoat blaming, which turn into self-fulfilling prophecies once enough people start to believe them.

Price discrimination is obviously a necessary tactic to maximize sales over time, but consoles don't have a good way to handle this right now. On Steam, it's "I'll wait for the Steam sale" - not a problem, since the publisher still sees a significant chunk of the revenue, and that's the reason that the PC market is exponentially better at the indie to mid tier levels than consoles these days. On consoles, it's "I'll buy it used," which nets most publishers nearly $0, since only a sliver of the money is recycled into new games (and nearly all that is recycled goes towards those "AAA blockbuster games").

hardcastlemccormick already addressed the mid-tier comment so i'll touch on this. Why don't we see publishers taking the same approach toward console gamers? I'm not even talking about discounts. Why the hell is nearly every game $60? It doesn't matter if it's a single player game that can literally be completed in 6-8 hours or an RPG that takes 50 hours, they're almost all $60. So why is it a surprise when some gamers might want to wait for a used version? They might actually want to really buy a certain game, but they can't justify paying $60 for something that they'll complete in 8 hours and never touch again. But perhaps $40 is more acceptable for them, and that's a price that they can only get through a used version. In previous generations we saw a decent amount of price variation, but now all of a sudden it's basically nothing but $60. We occasionally get a Sly or Puppeteer that hit the $40 price, but those are few and far between.

Ridiculous to see the "AAA blockbuster model" blamed. It exists because it was the only alternative when mid-tier became unsustainable, which occurred because...people didn't buy mid-tier games. At least not new, which is the only way that publishers get a return on their investment. In other words, it's a product of companies giving people what they're willing to pay for.

Used games funneling money from game creators to resellers engaged in arbitrage and price discrimination is a problem.

You did a pretty good job comparing retail to the DD system, and what advantages it has over brick and mortar stores.

The AAA model is broken. Costs are not skyrocketing only because games got a lot prettier, they've gone to such highs because the "hollywoodisation" of the game industry. We are talking that a good chunk of monetary resources go in to tangential things in relation to the game.

We see that for the creation of "AAA" games, publishers scout expensive movie writers when most of the time do a similar quality job as the typical game. Big holywood voice talent. Over reliance on cinematics to advance the game plot, when the medium lends itself to a less traditional way to do this. Expensive add campaings to the point of creating super expensice CG movies to promote the game, huge money sink. Blinding putting features that dont fit with the game just to put a check mark on the box, this is exemplified by the defacto deathmatch mode on everything.

Every studio, even ones that shouldn't, wanted to follow that model. That's why THQ is where it is now. So a studio had a luke warm intelectual property, instead of scale the budget for a mid tier release some of this pubs pushed the pedal to the metal and fired up the AAA engine, so most of them are ghosts now.

Shaneus

You did a pretty good job comparing retail to the DD system, and what advantages it has over brick and mortar stores.

The AAA model is broken. Costs are not skyrocketing only because games got a prettier, they've gone to such highs because the "hollywoodisation" of the game industry. We are talking that a good chunk of monetary resources go in to tangential things in relation to the game.

We see that for the creation of "AAA" games, publishers scout expensive movie writers when most of the time do a similar quality job as the typical game. Big holywood voice talent. Over reliance on cinematics to advance the game plot, when the medium lends itself to a less traditional way to do this. Expensive add campaings to the point of creating super expensice CG movies to promote the game, huge money sink. Blinding putting features that dont fit with the game just to put a check mark on the box, this is exemplified by the defacto deathmatch mode on everything.

Every studio, even ones that shouldn't, wanted to follow that model. That's why THQ is where it is now. So a studio had a luke warm intelectual property, instead of scale the budget for a mid tier release some of this pubs pushed the pedal to the metal and fired up the AAA engine, so most of them are ghosts now.
Thinking about that, the names that just pop into my head that are "AAA" titles that should never have been created as such is just astounding. In the space of a few seconds, Max Payne 3, Absolution and obviously Tomb Raider just came up. Throwing money at a title won't make it sell well. And people not buying the games despite the investment by the pubs should be a sign that THEY NEED TO STOP INVESTING SO MUCH.

Thinking about that, the names that just pop into my head that are "AAA" titles that should never have been created as such is just astounding. In the space of a few seconds, Max Payne 3, Absolution and obviously Tomb Raider just came up. Throwing money at a title won't make it sell well. And people not buying the games despite the investment by the pubs should be a sign that THEY NEED TO STOP INVESTING SO MUCH.
Those are the most amazing examples i've seen lately, because puring all that money into the games made them actually worse.

Max Payne 3 game flow is ruined by the over abundance of cinematics cutscenes (some of them unskippable).

Hitman Absolution, IO forced a lot more acting in to the plot at the detriment of the game. Exposition in Hitman games worked better through briefing and small snippets of what kind of person the target was.

And Tomb Raider is the culmination of every trend (sh!it ones or otherwise) shoehorned in to a game with no taught put into it. This game should become a paradigm to be analysed for years. No way this aberration costed Eidos a 100 mil, they got sacked.

So, what you're saying is that the "AAA blockbuster model" is the solution to the problem of mid-tier games not selling?

"we're tired of risking a medium amount of money on our investments... let's risk a AAA amount!"

Tripple Ay games keep flopping. They're not a product of giving people what they're willing to pay for if people aren't willing to pay for them.

Shaneus

Those are the most amazing examples i've seen lately, because puring all that money into the games made them actually worse.

Max Payne 3 game flow is ruined by the over abundance of cinematics cutscenes (some of them unskippable).

Hitman Absolution, IO forced a lot more acting in to the plot at the detriment of the game. Exposition in Hitman games worked better through briefing and small snippets of what kind of person the target was.

And Tomb Raider is the culmination of every trend (sh!it ones or otherwise) shoehorned in to a game with no taught put into it. This game should become a paradigm to be analysed for years. No way this aberration costed Eidos a 100 mil, they got sacked.
Let me just test a theory here... it shouldn't be this literal, but let's compare the game/folder size for "failed" AAA games and successful ones:
Max Payne 3: 30GB game, 8.2GB prerendered cutscene movie folder
Absolution: 23GB game, 6GB movie folder
Sleeping Dogs: 11GB game, 2.8GB is audio, 770MB movies (audio is acceptable in this regard, IMO. Indicates far fewer in-engine, unskippable cutscenes)
Dishonored: 6GB, 430MB movies
Skyrim: 5.8GB, voices 1.3GB, video 1.7MB

It might've taken me a while to come up with this conclusion for myself, but it's obvious the games industry wants to emulate Hollywood by just "filming" games and using them like some glorified MegaCD/SegaCD movie, using cutscenes as a crutch to move the game forward, rather than doing what GOOD games are doing and using the game itself to move the story forward. Reeks of laziness (why not just include it in the game?) and gross mismanagement.

Dead Man

CxalfFe.png

Missed this, perfect.

hardcastlemccormick already addressed the mid-tier comment so i'll touch on this. Why don't we see publishers taking the same approach toward console gamers? I'm not even talking about discounts. Why the hell is nearly every game $60? It doesn't matter if it's a single player game that can literally be completed in 6-8 hours or an RPG that takes 50 hours, they're almost all $60. So why is it a surprise when some gamers might want to wait for a used version? They might actually want to really buy a certain game, but they can't justify paying $60 for something that they'll complete in 8 hours and never touch again. But perhaps $40 is more acceptable for them, and that's a price that they can only get through a used version. In previous generations we saw a decent amount of price variation, but now all of a sudden it's basically nothing but $60. We occasionally get a Sly or Puppeteer that hit the $40 price, but those are few and far between.

Retailer price protection. It's what gets them shelf space. Retailers are also more likely to stock 100 of one title than 10 of 10 different titles, which feeds into the blockbuster model.

Once the market moves away from retail, as it has on PC, customers will benefit from quicker and steeper discounts, though launch prices I'm sure will not drop.

So, what you're saying is that the "AAA blockbuster model" is the solution to the problem of mid-tier games not selling?

"we're tired of risking a medium amount of money on our investments... let's risk a AAA amount!"

Tripple Ay games keep flopping. They're not a product of giving people what they're willing to pay for if people aren't willing to pay for them.

It's all about expected return on investment. Even with the flops and underperformance on an AAA title, it's still a better bet than mid-tier.

The AAA model is broken. Costs are not skyrocketing only because games got a lot prettier, they've gone to such highs because the "hollywoodisation" of the game industry. We are talking that a good chunk of monetary resources go in to tangential things in relation to the game.

Yes, the AAA model is not sustainable for all but a couple publishers. But mid-tier is not a viable alternative, because no one buys them in the face of profitable, sustainable AAA competition dominating mindshare, airwaves, and shelf space. Companies like THQ would be gone either way. The only way to break the AAA stranglehold is to establish platforms where quality and word of mouth are paramount, discoverability is not knee-capped by shelf space limitations and other factors, and publishers get rewarded for every copy they sell.

Sacul64

Banned

Amen.

MasLegio

Banned

mid-tier only became unsustainable when they tried to market and sell them as 60$ AAA-games

there is a healthy market for 30-40$ mid-tier games, especially if they fill a niche and not just copy AAA-games

Retailer price protection. It's what gets them shelf space. Retailers are also more likely to stock 100 of one title than 10 of 10 different titles, which feeds into the blockbuster model.

Once the market moves away from retail, as it has on PC, customers will benefit from quicker and steeper discounts, though launch prices I'm sure will not drop.

That doesn't explain why every game is $60. It simply explains why we might not see such aggressive price drops like we see on Steam. Like I said, when you put gamers in a position where nearly every game is $60, then you're obviously to have some that'll look for cheaper alternatives. That might be simply wait for a price drop or t hey might find a used version of that title. Publishers should start thinking about whether or not certain should be priced at $60. But that's not going on.

Publishers are eventually going to have to start looking at themselves. It's always something other than what they're doing. It's piracy or it's used games sales. But it's apparently never what they're doing. Was piracy or used games why THQ went out of business? No. They were hurt by gambling on the idea that PS3 and 360 gamers wanted uDraw. And when they didn't it left over 1m of those tablets sitting in a warehouse. Were they at fault for Tomb Raider not reaching Square's ridiculous sales expectations, even though it sold significantly more in the same period than any other TR game? Or what about EA putting a 5m sales target on the back of Dead Space 3 even though it was in a genre where only one series manages to sell that much (RE)?

sammex

Ahaha at the OP - because all businesses who find a way to improve profits then decide to pass those savings onto the customer..

..out of the kindness of their hearts.

Maximus.

LOL yea prices won't drop if used games disappear. Digital games ESP have issues with price adjustments, but as long as we can get retail copies, we can get deals.

This industry is largely irresponsible. The devs constantly make bad decisions by making their games suffer from franchise fatigue, they refuse to price their games on some sort of scale (why does every game have to be 60 bucks?), and they place all of their eggs in one basket by funding make it or break projects that could bury them in one fell swoop. So PA's argument is that killing used games will make the industry healthier. That isn't true. The problem doesn't lie with used games, it lies with the developer and their sometimes deafening stupidity. Kill used games and that stupidity still remains.

herod

This industry is largely irresponsible. The devs constantly make bad decisions by making their games suffer from franchise fatigue, they refuse to price their games on some sort of scale (why does every game have to be 60 bucks?), and they place all of their eggs in one basket by funding make it or break projects that could bury them in one fell swoop. So PA's argument is that killing used games will make the industry healthier. That isn't true. The problem doesn't lie with used games, it lies with the developer and their sometimes deafening stupidity. Kill used games and that stupidity still remains.

Pretty much all of that is publisher, not developer

Do many people here believe publishers are being idiots simply for the sake of being idiots and not because they've determined that it creates a net loss for their company?

Publishers/developers, I can only assume, try not to do things out of spite. There are normally reasons.

Of what, though? Of a CEO stepping down to a bad projection? No used games were blamed here - but it was held up as an example in your post.

Did your post really make up for $3 billion+ used game sales that actually went to the people who spent their time creating them? I'm not convinced. You focused on CEOs and faceless corporations, along with a few well-picked failures (Bizarre gambling on a new direction was a shocking developer shutdown).

It would give them a short term boost, to their long term detriment. When gamers can't trade it used games to fuel their next purchase, they'll see the harm.

Business executives can sometimes be extremely short sighted.

Top Bottom