• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter: "PSP2 will be dead on arrival" [Update 675]

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
charlequin said:
Well, I mean, obviously. I use my 360 less since I got my Wii too, because I just got it and there's a backlog of games for the system I actively want to play now that I have the opportunity. The question is how it's going to play out when having a smartphone or smartphone-lite is old news and the latest handhelds are the new hotness

I don't think that's going to happen any time very soon. DS was that hot tech item that the massmarket embraced for a while. Now it really seems to be firmly these smart devices that everyone wants, or thinks they want, and I think that'll continue for another year or two at least. The danger for Nintendo and Sony is if peoples' value perception, and perception of what they really want in mobile gaming and content consumption, is completely changed once they become owners of these devices. I think it may well be possible that less committed players won't be at all as enthusiastic about new dedicated devices as they may have been pre-ownership of a smart device. I think it may already be happening that not-so-dedicated iPhone and Android gamers aren't as interested in a new 3DS or PSP as they may have been in DS or PSP 5 years ago.

Now, I'm taking a kind of medium-term view here. These handhelds will launch next year to buzz, I've no doubt. I'm just not sure that the buzz will be such to stop this inevitable ubiquity of smart devices and the impact that would have on Nintendo and Sony in trying to convince a larger market beyond the hardened gamers that they still have a reason to get a dedicated machine.

Vinci

Danish
nextgeneration said:
I remember seeing a chart one time where Apple's market share was growing, and both Nintendo's and Sony's marketshare were decreasing. Where I saw it, I don't recall, unfortunately, but let me see if I can dig it up.

If it's the chart I remember, it showed virtually no change in Nintendo's marketshare but a noticeable erosion in Sony's. It appears, thus far, as if Apple has failed to negatively impact what Nintendo is doing. Admittedly, they are likely having an impact at the moment - but do you honestly consider that to continue when the 3DS shows up and hype propels it to #1 consumer product status? Right now, we're seeing this through a visor of timeline - and the current timeline is at the tail-end of a handheld and console cycle. When new cycles show up, the visor will change in focus.

Azih said:
I don't know if he does but I don't. Apple started negatively impacting Nintendo the moment Apple made the game focused App Store ads. The ones that showed the stupid tilting the Ipod to steer a car arcade game ones.
Perhaps. But I don't think those ads really put Apple on the map as a direct competitor to Nintendo's handheld market. There is some overlap, sure. But I don't think it's terribly significant yet. Sure, Apple was marketing that their device does play games, but it wasn't marketing any killer app. Sure, I can play "drive the car by tilting the phone" game, but I'm looking for Mario Kart on the iPhone. Does such a thing exist? What is this "drive the car by tilting the phone" game even called, anyway?

Azih

the 3DS has the Wiimote level novelty factor going for it that could make it the hottest toy of the next holiday season. It's a total blue ocean play. PSP2 though? Man I don't know.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Tobor said:
You lost me. How has Apple not solved everything you just mentioned already?

Distribution: small games can be downloaded over 3G, large games over Wifi or synced from a computer. As has been said, there are already quite a few games 500MB+, and a hard cap of 2GB.

Notification: The game saves my place if I take a call, and with 4.0, resumes immediately.

Power: This is the toughest, obviously, but with an iPhone 4, I can easily get 3 to 4 hours depending on the game, sometimes more. I don't see it as a hindrance, certainly.

You have to nearly half that for the iTouch 4, though.

Tobor said:
Revenue: Who could argue with the way Apple handles this? It's leagues better than any other gaming model, save maybe Steam, which I think is more similar than different anyway.

These are problems Sony needs to solve, certainly.

For small publishers? Perhaps. But even the latest high budget from big names studios releases Like Rage and Infinity Blade are $2 and $6 30 minute games.

Vinci

Danish

LCfiner

nextgeneration said:

it’s worth noting that actual numbers from the original article

http://blog.flurry.com/bid/31566/Apple-iPhone-and-iPod-touch-Capture-U-S-Video-Game-Market-Share

total portable revenue went up from 2.25 to 2.55 billion. with the DS’s total share dropping 5%, they still made more revenue in 2009 than 2008.

PSP, however, was not so fortunate. even with total revenue for the sector going up, their drop was so pronounced that their revenue still went down from 2008 to 2009.

Azih

Steve Youngblood said:
Perhaps. But I don't think those ads really put Apple on the map as a direct competitor to Nintendo's handheld market.
Asserting the Ipod touch as a mobile gaming device to the public is direct competition to all other mobile gaming devices. Plus there was this quote from Jobs in 2008:

Jobs summed up, claiming that Apple's iPod Touch is no longer great for just music and video, but now games too.

"Now you can make a pretty good argument that it is the best portable device for playing games on - and a whole new class of games," he said.

These are direct shots across Nintendo's bow and has been enough to spook Nintendo and for very good reason as far as I am concerned.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
gofreak said:
I don't think that's going to happen any time very soon. DS was that hot tech item that the massmarket embraced for a while. Now it really seems to be firmly these smart devices that everyone wants, or thinks they want, and I think that'll continue for another year or two at least. The danger for Nintendo and Sony is if peoples' value perception, and perception of what they really want in mobile gaming and content consumption, is completely changed once they become owners of these devices. I think it may well be possible that less committed players won't be at all as enthusiastic about new dedicated devices as they may have been pre-ownership of a smart device. I think it may already be happening that not-so-dedicated iPhone and Android gamers aren't as interested in a new 3DS or PSP as they may have been in DS or PSP 5 years ago.

Now, I'm taking a kind of medium-term view here. These handhelds will launch next year to buzz, I've no doubt. I'm just not sure that the buzz will be such to stop this inevitable ubiquity of smart devices and the impact that would have on Nintendo and Sony in trying to convince a larger market beyond the hardened gamers that they still have a reason to get a dedicated machine.
The pie is getting bigger and bigger, there's food for everyone. Light users didn't all buy a DS in the first place.

MS and Sony always said wii was a benediction, because it created new gaming habits in an expanded population. Well you could also imagine light users loving angry birds looking at the 3DS in a way they would never had done before, needing a new fix.

At last lots of gamers who didn't buy a DS will get a 3DS, because of the 3D technology factor and because of the SF4, MGS or PES.

I see some serious growth potential.

Azih said:
Asserting the Ipod touch as a mobile gaming device to the public is direct competition to all other mobile gaming devices. Plus there was this quote from Jobs in 2008.

This has been enough to spook Nintendo and for very good reason as far as I am concerned.
I agree that there's grounds for concern, as the Apple platform has nowhere to go but up, and that in doing so it can cut into Nintendo's empire. But the flip side of that is that, aside from hyperbolic PR, Jobs has never demonstrated any desire to really roll up his sleeves and try and make Apple a serious games company. In fact, it's often been quite the opposite. Until Apple does, I don't think that a company like Nintendo should be worried just yet. Keeping a watchful eye? Sure. But the notion that the iPhone is going to be bigger than the DS (or probably even the 3DS for that matter) as a games machine is still a way's off in this humble poster's opinion.

Gomu Gomu said:
People who are buying these phones probably aren't the same that buy portable gaming devices.
I can't see why people think there is only room for one platform on the handheld market space. It's either smartphone OR portable gaming devices. The way I see it, the market is bigger than what you precive it to be. It can hold both type of platforms without eliminating one. This year there were crazy high DS sale numbers, and at the same time, the iPhone 4 did gangbusters. It's obvious these two type of gaming platforms are different enough, that comparing them face to face (sales wise) is useless in my opinion.

No, I don't see it as that. I agree there is room for both dedicated handheld devices and smartphones. What I'm trying to say is that as more people continue to buy iphones, smartphones, etc., some will not see a need to buy a dedicated handheld device. Yes, the hardcore will continue to buy dedicated handheld devices, but the casuals will not. They'll be just happy to game on their iphones, etc.

rezuth

Steve Youngblood said:
I agree that there's grounds for concern, as the Apple platform has nowhere to go but up, and that in doing so it can cut into Nintendo's empire. But the flip side of that is that, aside from hyperbolic PR, Jobs has never demonstrated any desire to really roll up his sleeves and try and make Apple a serious games company. In fact, it's often been quite the opposite. Until Apple does, I don't think that a company like Nintendo should be worried just yet. Keeping a watchful eye? Sure. But the notion that the iPhone is going to be bigger than the DS (or probably even the 3DS for that matter) as a games machine is still a way's off in this humble poster's opinion.
If you told me this 3 years ago I would agree but Apple really has an big interest in games now. Not only do they listen to feedback from developers like id and Valve but they act on it. The last three updates from them to OS X has been focused around gaming performance. They market the iPod Touch as a gaming device, they push for it in their TV ads. They are serious about it and this time they are not willing to lose it.

Azih

Steve Youngblood said:
I agree that there's grounds for concern, as the Apple platform has nowhere to go but up, and that in doing so it can cut into Nintendo's empire. But the flip side of that is that, aside from hyperbolic PR, Jobs has never demonstrated any desire to really roll up his sleeves and try and be a serious games company. In fact, it's often been quite the opposite. Until Apple does, I don't think that a company like Nintendo should be worried just yet. Keeping a watchful eye? Sure. But the notion that the iPhone is going to be bigger than the DS (or probably even the 3DS for that matter) as a games machine is still a way's off in this humble poster's opinion.

Who knows what the future will bring?

It is interesting that Nintendo and Apple, due to their respective philosophies, *can't* ape each other. Nintendo is resolute in creating games machine first and foremost while Apple is adamant on their stance of creating interfaces as button free as possible.

There will be distinct approaches to handheld gaming for the foreseeable future.

rezuth said:
If you told me this 3 years ago I would agree but Apple really has an big interest in games now. Not only do they listen to feedback from developers like id and Valve but they act on it. The last three updates from them to OS X has been focused around gaming performance. They market the iPod Touch as a gaming device, they push for it in their TV ads. They are serious about it and this time they are not willing to lose it.
I think they're getting there. However, I still think it's premature to think that -- at least in the first two to three years -- the iPhone/iPod Touch platform is going to be bigger than the 3DS as a gaming brand. I'm not saying that it's wildly outlandish, but I don't think it's that close just yet. Apple may be making strides, but I won't be convinced until I see Apple developing their own ambitious gaming software and/or directly marketing exclusive software in a greater capacity than just 30 second montages of several unnamed games.

Jokeropia

seady said:
The people that believe in Pachter are mostly "casual" handheld gamers who doesn't know or care much about handheld gaming - just like how the non-gamers and so called "analyst" who believe the Wii will totally kill the HD consoles few years back.
Who were these people? As I recall, virtually all analysts kept insisting that the opposite would happen.

Azih

Steve Youngblood said:
I think they're getting there. However, I still think it's premature to think that -- at least in the first two to three years -- the iPhone/iPod Touch platform is going to be bigger than the 3DS as a gaming brand. I'm not saying that it's wildly outlandish, but I don't think it's that close just yet. Apple may be making strides, but I won't be convinced until I see Apple developing their own ambitious gaming software and/or directly marketing exclusive software in a greater capacity than just 30 second montages of several unnamed games.
Apple isn't going to become a games developer. But that is distinct from having the biggest gaming brand.

And it's not just Ipod/Iphones. All Ipod a likes like Android phone and now Windows Phone 7 are pressuring the traditional DS and PSP. Hell Ipads too, and maybe even Ipad clones soon.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
charlequin said:
Controls aren't actually the biggest problem for convergence. It's not actually all that hard to stick a D-pad and six buttons under a slide form factor like the new Xperia Gamefone, and since people mostly aren't that enthusiastic about hardware keyboards you aren't even making a huge design sacrifice to do so. The bigger issues are in distribution and system architecture -- how do people get the games (especially if they're big and they have to download them over 3/4G)? How does the device handle gaming when you need to be able to instantly switch to core functions like answering calls? How do you balance the power-draw and memory needs of a general-purpose smartphone architecture with the very different needs that are ideal for gaming?

These devices can already play games, and take calls etc. They may not be as lean and mean about game execution as a dedicated device, but they have on the other hand the advantage of ever improving hardware - kind of like the PC, new hardware is being thrown at that problem on a fairly continuous basis. Hardware is almost disposable for some segments of the market, constantly being upgraded as part of contracts.

In terms of technical nuts-and-bolts accomodation of a fuller range of game types, controls are really the big issue. However, now you're starting to see vendors come up with Android machines, at least, that can offer those controls that are exposed as a standard part of Android. Take the 'Playstation phone'. Technically I'm sure it could support all the kinds of games PSP can, and perhaps beyond. It is probably, technically, on a games performance and interface level, at least as good a games machine as the PSP was, if not better, despite being 'hampered' by its other commitments. It'll likely be joined by other vendor's gaming Android phones. Taking a longer term view, how long before there are Android devices with such controls that can offer visuals in excess of the new crop of dedicated machines (if visuals matter)?

The much bigger question is how the market for these varieties of device develop - could it ultimately grow into tens of millions? - and if the market on these devices will support 'bigger' content at bigger prices. I am not sure - those hurdles may not be overcome, and that would definitely reinforce the position and role of dedicated devices, even if their share is smaller than it was before.

marc^o^ said:
The pie is getting bigger and bigger, there's food for everyone. Light users didn't all buy a DS in the first place.

MS and Sony always said wii was a benediction, because it created new gaming habits in an expanded population. Well you could also imagine light users loving angry birds looking at the 3DS in a way they would never had done before, needing a new fix.

At last lots of gamers who didn't buy a DS will get a 3DS, because of the 3D technology factor and because of the SF4, MGS or PES.

Yes, but PSP gamers buying 3DS isn't expanding the dedicated market. It's just Nintendo dipping into Sony's pool to try and offset expected losses elsewhere. In terms of light users enjoying Angry Birds and then looking longingly at a dedicated machine...that's certainly the hope both Sony and Nintendo has. It's the more direct hope Jack Tretton was expressing in his comments about the role of a Playstation phone. But, and as I said in response to those comments, I think it may be a very optimistic hope. It's a big leap from enjoying Angry Birds to looking longingly at $40 Nintendo or PSP games on a separate $200-$300 device.

Tobor

Lonely1 said:
You have to nearly half that for the iTouch 4, though.

For small publishers? Perhaps. But even the latest high budget from big names studios releases Like Rage and Infinity Blade are $2 and $6 30 minute games.

2 hours of gaming battery life on an iPod Touch 4? That doesn't sound plausible to me.

As for revenue, that's up to the devs and pubs. They can price it anywhere they want. I don't buy the notion that the market can't support more than $0.99 games. there are plenty of games that make a nice living in the $5-10 range, for example.

I'd love to see numbers from Rockstar regarding Chinatown Wars on each platform. I'd be willing to bet they made more on iOS than PSP, for example.

rezuth

Steve Youngblood said:
I'm not sure what you mean by ambitious gaming software? Are you suggesting that they must develop games themselves? Otherwise they have helpt out the iOS platform a lot by adding features such as Game Center, OpenGL ES 2.0, Hiring Matt Casamassina as a Game Editor and so on.

dream

Tobor said:
I'd love to see numbers from Rockstar regarding Chinatown Wars on each platform. I'd be willing to bet they made more on iOS than PSP, for example.

I can't back it up, but I'd be inclined to suspect they made more on iOS than on the PSP and DS combined just because of sale pricing.

rezuth said:
I'm not sure what you mean by ambitious gaming software? Are you suggesting that they must develop games themselves? Otherwise they have helpt out the iOS platform a lot by adding features such as Game Center, OpenGL ES 2.0, Hiring Matt Casamassina as a Game Editor and so on.

I interpreted that as him saying Apple needs their own killer app -- a notion I'm not entirely sure is relevant anymore.

Azih said:
Apple isn't going to become a games developer. But that is distinct from having the biggest gaming brand.
It's certainly not impossible. However, I think that being a games developer to drive your brand with guaranteed exclusives is very important. Again, I'm not saying that Apple can't pull off the coup here, but that I think that the 3DS is still going to be the hot gaming toy with guaranteed Nintendo first party exclusives. Furthermore, though they will continue to grow with their current offerings, whether it's Apple developed or not, the App Store (or the Android store for that matter) still have a ways to go. As far as I can tell, the killer game for the smart device market is Killer Birds. I'm not knocking that, mind you, but just stating that it's going to need something more akin to New Super Mario Bros., Mario Kart, Pokemon, etc. before people ditch their handheld gaming device.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Tobor said:
2 hours of gaming battery life on an iPod Touch 4? That doesn't sound plausible to me.

The itouch 4 has 65% of the battery capacity of the iPhone 4. If the iPhone last 4 hours, the iTouch will last 2.6, assuming linear scaling.

Edit: Apple own numbers assume 30% shorter battery life.

Tobor said:
As for revenue, that's up to the devs and pubs. They can price it anywhere they want. I don't buy the notion that the market can't support more than $0.99 games. there are plenty of games that make a nice living in the $5-10 range, for example.

I bet that the LCS made a lot more than that, though.

FoneBone

Tobor said:
I'm sure they did, but I still very much doubt that the sales would have been enough to justify developing a game of that scale from the ground up on iPhone.

rezuth

Steve Youngblood said:
It's certainly not impossible. However, I think that being a games developer to drive your brand with guaranteed exclusives is very important. Again, I'm not saying that Apple can't pull off the coup here, but that I think that the 3DS is still going to be the hot gaming toy with guaranteed Nintendo first party exclusives. Furthermore, though they will continue to grow with their current offerings, whether it's Apple developed or not, the App Store (or the Android store for that matter) still have a ways to go. As far as I can tell, the killer game for the smart device market is Killer Birds. I'm not knocking that, mind you, but just stating that it's going to need something more akin to New Super Mario Bros., Mario Kart, Pokemon, etc. before people ditch their handheld gaming device.
Why would they need that? The market is changing and we can't look at it by traditional means.

rezuth said:
Why would they need that? The market is changing and we can't look at it by traditional means.
It's changing yes. Where I'm disagreeing is the pace that it is changing. Can Apple be the market leader? Definitely. Are we on the precipice of that right now with a showdown between iOS 5 (or whatever version it will be) vs. the 3DS? I'm not convinced.

Tobor

Lonely1 said:
The itouch 4 has 65% of the battery capacity of the iPhone 4. If the iPhone last 4 hours, the iTouch will last 2.6, assuming linear scaling.

I bet that the LCS made a lot more than that, though.

1. I think I'm being too conservative. Like I said, I need to run a battery test.

2. How much would LCS have made on iOS? ;P

FoneBone said:
I'm sure they did, but I still very much doubt that the sales would have been enough to justify developing a game of that scale from the ground up on iPhone.

Maybe. We'll see.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Tobor said:
1. I think I'm being too conservative. Like I said, I need to run a battery test.

2. How much would LCS have made on iOS? ;P
Not enough to justify a port, clearly. :)

AwRy108

If the PSP platform remains the only place I can consistently get full-fledged, on-the-go gameplay experiences, then count me in. Hopefully I'm not alone.

Zoe

Lonely1 said:

Edit: Apple own numbers assume 30% shorter battery life.

I would think the phone functions of the iPhone would have a considerable impact on the battery life.

AwRy108 said:
If the PSP platform remains the only place I can consistently get full-fledged, on-the-go gameplay experiences, then count me in. Hopefully I'm not alone.

...does 3DS not exist in this scenario?

Jokeropia

rezuth said:
Those three has games sold ~60 million copies (and counting) combined. What evidence do you have for this market disappearing?

jman2050

rezuth said:

Why not? Is Pokemon still not the most successful gaming franchise ever or does that suddenly change because Angry Birds et al exists?

I'd be interested to see ownership figures for each device. I mean, you look in the pick-up thread and someone has bought two DS in different colours and got a new smartphone. Do these analysts take into account that people own multiple devices from separate companies? I personally wouldn't see the iPod as an alternative to a 3DS, rather as an accompaniment; just like I see the DS in such a way for the Wii..

Emitan

rezuth said:
Earlier in the thread someone said that New Super Mario Bros (a $30 game) sold more than Angry Birds (a $1 game and probably the most popular iOS game). There has always been a demand for Nintendo's offerings and I doubt that's going to change in the next few months.

Tobor

Billychu said:
Earlier in the thread someone said that New Super Mario Bros (a $30 game) sold more than Angry Birds (a $1 game and probably the most popular iOS game). There has always been a demand for Nintendo's offerings and I doubt that's going to change in the next few months.

Is new Super Mario Bros going to be available on PSP2?

jman2050 said:
Why not? Is Pokemon still not the most successful gaming franchise ever or does that suddenly change because Angry Birds et al exists?

Is Pokemon going to be available on PSP2?

I think we can all agree the 3DS will find a market and sales. This is about how Sony fits between a rock and a hard place.

seady said:
More like
"The iPod is as big a threat to handhelds as Wii is to HD consoles."

Different market, different gameplay style. Wii has a ton of gameplay limitation (due to non-HD and motion controller). iTouch has a ton of gameplay limitation (due to touch screen only interface). The 3DS and PSP2 will have touch screen + standard controls, the 360 and PS3 have motion control now + HD graphics.

The people that believe in Pachter are mostly "casual" handheld gamers who doesn't know or care much about handheld gaming - just like how the non-gamers and so called "analyst" who believe the Wii will totally kill the HD consoles few years back.

I think your analogy is spot on, but even with all those limitations didn't the Wii destroy the HD consoles in sales on it's first years?

I think it's exactly the same situation in the handheld space. Who has time to play full fledge games on the go anymore. I say this as a guy that bought a PSP in 2005 and was uber excited about it (and don't regret my purchase one bit), but now that I have an iphone 4, a PSP2 seems like a really hard sell. I just don't have time for it and I'm perfectly content with the price/quality ration of the AppStore.

jman2050

Tobor said:

I think we can all agree the 3DS will find a market and sales. This is about how Sony fits between a rock and a hard place.

You do realize we were replying to rezuth's post which wasn't specifically about the PSP but the handheld market in general, right?

Gomu Gomu said:
People who are buying these phones probably aren't the same that buy portable gaming devices.
I can't see why people think there is only room for one platform on the handheld market space. It's either smartphone OR portable gaming devices. The way I see it, the market is bigger than what you precive it to be. It can hold both type of platforms without eliminating one. This year there were crazy high DS sale numbers, and at the same time, the iPhone 4 did gangbusters. It's obvious these two type of gaming platforms are different enough, that comparing them face to face (sales wise) is useless in my opinion.

No, I don't see it as that. I agree that both can coexist. I just believe that both Nintendo/Sony are going to have a much tougher time this time around with their portable successors.

Edit - oops, sorry for the double post/response. :lol

Zoe

MarshMellow96 said:
I'd be interested to see ownership figures for each device. I mean, you look in the pick-up thread and someone has bought two DS in different colours and got a new smartphone. Do these analysts take into account that people own multiple devices from separate companies? I personally wouldn't see the iPod as an alternative to a 3DS, rather as an accompaniment; just like I see the DS in such a way for the Wii..

Publishers have more to gain from software sales than from hardware sales. Is the person who owns two DS's buying the same number of games that two DS users would buy? Are they going to buy as many DS games as they would phone apps?

Kuran

Banned
Tobor said:

In other news, a PSP title just sold 2 mil copies in a week's time.

Tobor

jman2050 said:
You do realize we were replying to rezuth's post which wasn't specifically about the PSP but the handheld market in general, right?

Yeah, I was just trying to steer the conversation back to it's original point. Carry on.

Zoe said:
Publishers have more to gain from software sales than from hardware sales. Is the person who owns two DS's buying the same number of games that two DS users would buy? Are they going to buy as many DS games as they would phone apps?

Fair enough. I'm just trying to make the point that a lot of people aren't going to just buy one device and call it quits.

Zachack

Billychu said:
NSMB came out over a year before the first iPhone.
Fair enough. I'm just trying to make the point that a lot of people aren't going to just buy one device and call it quits.
But some may, the smartphone market has been evolving rapidly, and the existing market is going to make certain genres on the dedicated portables much more treacherous.

FoneBone

Kuran said:
In other news, a PSP title just sold 2 mil copies in a week's time.
and the platform future of that franchise is uncertain, not to mention borderline irrelevant outside of Japan.

Top Bottom