• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paid Skyrim mods being removed from Steam

I hope they don't back off the idea completely. There were issues with how this was implemented, but if Valve back off the idea of allowing content creators sell their content on Steam altogether.. then that's stupid.

Their statement pinpoints their failure being in execution, and in messing with an established fanbase, so yes, I think this is far from the last we've seen of this.

They'll probably bring it back with one of their own future releases. So Left 4 Dead 3.

Well that Jimquisition was a waste. Should've done that Konami video.

On a serious note, paid mods are stupid unless it's a drastic overhaul of the main game. If people want to pay for a better UI they should put a donate button. It was mistake and I'm glad Valve owned up to it.

Xizk

"Optional donation systems" are useless. No one actually donates. There's nothing inherently wrong with people being paid for their time and effort and work if the copyright holder agrees to allow them to do so and anyone who thinks there is can fuck right off.

Yeah I would be really disappointed if they scrap it all together. Content creators deserve getting paid for their work if they make high quality content.

IzUaG.gif

Not this time

Not this fucking time

legacyzero

Banned
To help you understand why we thought this was a good idea, our main goals were to allow mod makers the opportunity to work on their mods full time if they wanted to, and to encourage developers to provide better support to their mod communities. We thought this would result in better mods for everyone, both free & paid. We wanted more great mods becoming great products, like Dota, Counter-strike, DayZ, and Killing Floor, and we wanted that to happen organically for any mod maker who wanted to take a shot at it.

This is hard for me to argue, and an idea I fully support. Just not the best way to start it. Dont launch shit like this with little context, knowing just how terrible it sounds.

Something good can come from this, but from the approach that was taken, this wasn't it.

This is going to come back for Fallout 4 I bet though (fresh game / community). If they want to try it for Fallout 4, even via a donation scheme or something I wouldn't object. I would have loved a FWE or OOO that had years of polish and more money behind it.

ot: Its sad I thought of gaf when I had amc on in the background this weekend and this scene would play lol.

Par Score

Valve tries a lot of cool/dumb experimental stuff, with more hits than misses over the years, but this was a pretty huge miss.

Good to see they're pulling back and re-evaluating, I'm sure the concept will come back in a more workable form down the line.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Well, I'll be damned. I had hopes this would happen but never thought it'll be this fast. I expected a month at the very least. Good on ya Valve.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
It's a viable concept, but it should never have been retroactively implemented in Skyrim years after the fact in a massive disruption of a stable, healthy mod community. It should also probably be curated in some way and not a free for all of "*shrug*, send a DMCA takedown if someone steals your stuff" in a community where everyone's using everyone else's stuff since it had not been for profit. And the revenue split itself, while justifiable in a broad sense, just did not leave a good taste in anyone's mouth when it came to Bethesda in particular taking 50% away from the modders who fixed and kept relevant an otherwise broken game.

Hot damn, that's quite a turnaround.

The idea of paid mods from such a long standing community of TES series and in regards to Skyrim, which has been out for years, and a part of it's success of continuing sales due to vast modding community, was so apparently mixed, it's hard not to see how it was going to be received as quite poisonous from the get go. That's tricky after the fact with how interconnected so many mods can be and everything being free.

Lingitiz

Hooray, people can't get paid for their time and effort anymore!

I liked the old system of people making shit as a hobby or because they think it would be cool. I appreciate the idea that Valve was going for with expanding the scope of mods and perhaps encouraging more devs to provide robust mod tools, but the cost might be too high.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I feel like the only issue to me was the profit cut. The modder should get 51% at the very least.

I think people should be able to make a living from modding. Why the hell not?

Ploid 3.0

Should have given the creators the lion share of the cut and game creator + valve the 30% split. Modders would have been working for pennies, and still it would screw things up with people stealing, and things not working well without other establish mods.

Vibranium

Banned
Just put a donation system and give rewards for paying modders. I hope Valve doesn't make it payment when they try this the second time around.

libregkd

I hope they don't back off the idea completely. There were issues with how this was implemented, but if Valve back off the idea of allowing content creators sell their content on Steam altogether.. then that's stupid.
Agreed. The implementation was heavily, heavily flawed, but there is nothing awful about the core idea of modders being able to start making money off the work they do (if they choose to charge for their work of course).

The idea of giving a platform for modders to be rewarded for their work is commendable

Leaving it open for publishers to abuse is just fucking stupid. Bethesda doesn't deserve most of the money for doing fuck all

Nzyme32

"We understand our own game's communities pretty well, but stepping into an established, years old modding community in Skyrim was probably not the right place to start iterating. We think this made us miss the mark pretty badly, even though we believe there's a useful feature somewhere here."

HA brilliant; exactly my main complaint.

They will definitely give this a go again, but hopefully it is in a much much more thought out way, curated and supported in some form by the original developer to ensure people get something that both works long term and is actually valuable.

Yay! now we gonna see the ourtage of the modders who wanted to get paid! the rollecoster never ends!

There are still games that are allowing modders to get paid, but it is currated and done by community voting - See valve games, Chivalry and Dungeon Defenders 2. That seems to have gone reasonably well, but has limited scope so far.

Zareka

Ahahaha, what? That was fast.

On the one hand, uh...yay? On the other hand, people won't get paid for their work.

There are so many problems on both sides of this.

_woLf

Good. Something like this is acceptable when it's done right. Not with awful profit sharing ratios inserted into a 3 and a half year old game with an established mod community.

valve always listens I don't know why people are talking about that

they give you their email addresses to mail them directly

they rarely talk back and that's probably why people don't think that I guess

unfortunate it happened this way, it's a great idea and will certainly help video games and creators in the future

just too bad skyrim wasn't the place to start and didn't work out

cdyhybrid

Don't party too hard, they're just going to wait for Fallout 4/Elder Scrolls 6 to implement it now, since it would be free from the headaches that arose when trying to introduce it into an established, vibrant modding scene.

I'm confused, why is the idea of paid mods such an awful idea?

It's not, but who should get paid when "your" mod contains work from 12 other mods? Who polices that? Who makes sure that each mod has original and not stolen content? Duplicate mods?

It's a mess dropping it into an existing mod community that operated on a collaborative sharing model. Valve realized this and corrected the problem.

Fully expect the eventual Fallout 4 mod scene to support paid mods from the start though.

Saturday

They listened, but as other people have said, they'll probably try this again in the future; so by then it'll be interesting to know if they actually learned.

Top Bottom