• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 8, 2012

liger05

PSP's launch was ha-uge. And obviously not reflective of ultimate marketshare.

PSP: 185k
PS3: 165k
3DS: 113k
Wii: 105k
DS: 87k
360: 70k

Vita's probably on the lower end of the launch numbers here judging by software, but probably not extremely low. 70-100k seems 'normal' based on the above, PSP and PS3 were kind of outliers.

I was guessing the psp was kinda huge. I have loads of people here at work who have no interest in the Vita or 3DS but they all bought the PSP.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Curious about UK attitudes towards digital distribution - would there be a (significant) proportion of hardware buyers that bought no physical software?

Have you seen the prices on PSN over here?

I would hope there aren't many stupid enough to go DD-only at those prices. Especially with how fragile the retail market is.

SmokyDave

I suspect its been apparent for quite some time, but like I said the amount of attention paid to the charts varies according to how much is going on generally in the market.

As for used sales being "around for decades", if you aren't going to acknowledge that its grown hugely in terms of size and visibility over the last few years -particularly at multiple retailers that contribute majorly to chart data- there's not much point in continuing to discuss the point, because we're never going to agree simply because of that difference in perception.

I consider the growth in the used-sector on the high street to be an undeniable fact.

When did GAME buy EB and turn them into Gamestation?

I'd say there hasn't been a great deal of change since then. CEX was established 6 years ago and has only ever sold used games. I think we're talking about different timescales though, when you said it was affecting the charts, I assumed you meant a rapid expansion over the last month or three. If you are framing the rise as taking place slowly over the last 5 years, I'd tend to agree.

I'm not denying the growth, I was questioning your timescale. You didn't make it sound like you appreciated this had been happening for years at first.

Of course, even if the popularity and promotion of used games had stayed static over the last 5 years (which it hasn't), the current economic situation might well be driving people to save pennies wherever they can, thus increasing used game sales regardless.

We know Fifa did between 15.5 and 26k (18% of total software sales) and the launch was similar to the 3DS launch (100-125k would be similar)

Uncharted (31% of total software sales) -> 26k - 45k
I'm pretty sure all we know about FIFA is that it did at least around ~15.5K - no defined upper boundary.

And Uncharted did 1.7x whatever FIFA did, which means at least ~26K - again no defined upper boundary.

I think Pat Garrett's comment is purely in reference to hardware, not software.

Spiegel

I'm pretty sure all we know about FIFA is that it did at least around ~15.5K - no defined upper boundary.

And Uncharted did 1.7x whatever FIFA did, which means at least ~26K - again no defined upper boundary.

I think Pat Garrett's comment is purely in reference to hardware, not software.

I know it's hardware. I'm saying that it's impossible for Uncharted to have sold to close to 70% of Vita owners. The real number is much lower.

~100-125k hardware
~83-145k software
~26-45k Uncharted

lol well, i see people on this thread are actually happy for the Vita's success amongst other things. what with a weekly barrage of this bomba and that bomba.

I know it's hardware. I'm saying that it's impossible for Uncharted to have sold to close to 70% of Vita owners. The real number is much lower.

But your numbers in that post aren't based on anything tangible, only the minimums of 15.5k and 26k are what we can really say.

BKK

We know the 21 other PSV games made up 51% of unit sales, so we can calculate upper limits too be adding the maximum possible sales of all other games;

(1 x <8.5k) + (2 x <7k) + (4 x <4k) + (14 x <3k) = 80.5k

80.5k / 0.51 = 158k

158k x . 31 = 48.9k
158k x .18 = 28.4k

UNCH PSV = >26k <49k
FIFA PSV = >15.5k <29k

NHale

If we run into a scenario where safe sequels and all new ip bomb left and right on current consoles, fall 2013 may be too late to stem the bleeding. Both consoles badly need a price drop to spur growth.

It's already too late and I doubt a price drop would stop the bleeding completely. The problem is that releasing a new home console in the current economic environment is suicide.

~100-125k hardware
~83-145k software
~26-45k Uncharted
The problem is the quote about "comparable" numbers remains undefined. Garrett might find 70K - 100K comparable.

Given we now have a calculated maximum for Uncharted of 49K - it isn't impossible for ~70% of Vita-buyers to have picked it up if the hardware numbers are ~70K.

Spiegel

You were using Uncharteds minimum as Fifa's maximum, thats not how the numbers worked.

BKK has done a proper calculation.

Okay. In the end the numbers are similar to what I was saying (~3-4k) and don't change my point.

The problem is the quote about "comparable" numbers remains undefined. Garrett might find 70K - 100K comparable.

Given we now have a calculated maximum for Uncharted of 49K - it isn't impossible for ~70% of Vita-buyers to have picked it up if the hardware numbers are ~70K.

Sure, I'm realizing now that I should've known better and wait for proper numbers.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
SmokyDave said:
I'm not denying the growth, I was questioning your timescale. You didn't make it sound like you appreciated this had been happening for years at first.

I think as much as anything its to do with where the chart compilers pull their data from, because its not a comprehensive list of sources, its going to be selective and heavily skewed in favour of chains - indie retailers never factored in much as far as I'm aware.

As the big chains Game/station, HMV, supermarkets etc. have moved into the used scene over the last few years I can imagine second-hand sales made by those specific retailers having a more noticable impact on chart returns particularly in the absence of hot new releases because they were always the big contributors toward chart numbers.

You could fairly argue I think that this gives a distorted picture of the impact of used-sales as a whole (i.e. a phenomenon affecting the whole games market) because of its particular impact on the returns from tracked locations, but still, the charts are the charts.

My point above all else is that if you want to get a real sense of how the market is performing, "low" weeks are as significant as "hot" ones, and we're on a string of very low weeks in the UK so far this year.

Italy:
01. Just Dance 3 (Wii, Ubisoft)
02. Uncharted 3: L'Inganno di Drake (PS3, Sony)
03. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (PS3, Activision)
04. Kirby's Adventure (Wii, Nintendo)
05. FIFA 12 (PS3, EA)
06. Mario Kart 7 (3DS, Nintendo)
07. Wii Play Motion + Wii Remote Plus (Wii, Nintendo)
08. Super Mario 3D Land (3DS, Nintendo)
09. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (X360, Activision)
10. New Super Mario Bros. (Wii, Nintendo)

http://multiplayer.it/notizie/99731-classifiche-italiane-cambia-qualcosa-nelle-retrovie.html

Damn. British gaming market is really crashing. New games bombing left and right. Vita launch looks decent though. Might be the year that Germany takes UK position as third largest gaming market.

herod

Did GAME not stock the Ubisoft Vita titles? I just read that they're stocking them tomorrow. Makes the Rayman Vita chart position interesting to me.

Italy:
01. Just Dance 3 (Wii, Ubisoft)
02. Uncharted 3: L'Inganno di Drake (PS3, Sony)
03. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (PS3, Activision)
04. Kirby's Adventure (Wii, Nintendo)
05. FIFA 12 (PS3, EA)
06. Mario Kart 7 (3DS, Nintendo)
07. Wii Play Motion + Wii Remote Plus (Wii, Nintendo)
08. Super Mario 3D Land (3DS, Nintendo)
09. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (X360, Activision)
10. New Super Mario Bros. (Wii, Nintendo)

http://multiplayer.it/notizie/99731-classifiche-italiane-cambia-qualcosa-nelle-retrovie.html

week 7...

Vita HW is going to be 100k-125k I rekcon...

Patrick's comment seems to suggest it is 'comparable' to 3DS' first week, he describes it as a 'strong' launch, but he doesn't go as far in his language to suggest it had a better launch. So that leads me to believe Chart Track's HW figure is lower than 3DS' first week, but he says he is interested in what Sony announces because Nintendo announced a higher number than Chart Track as well. ie. he's suggesting its possible for Sony to announce a larger first day / weekend than 3DS even if the Chart Track figures don't support that.

Looking at PSP and PS3 launch weeks its obvious that it doesn't really matter, but it'd be a positive piece of PR for the machine if it comes.

I was surprised to see the console + game for £200 in Sainsburys by the way... that was if you bought Fifa Football or Uncharted. You'd still need to buy one of those games and buy yourself a memory card -- but that's actually a really reasonable price. I picked up my 3DS at £180, but it cost some early adopters £200-230. The price difference now is still like £70, discounting the whole memory card fiasco, so the landscape is a bit different, but still... I think the launch price translates well in the UK.

jrDev

Wow, PS3 and PSP launches were amazing!! Especially PS3's with that price. Every other hardware launch seemed to have been not so good at all...

I'm both proud and ashamed of my brothers and sisters in the UK. Where's the Lumines sales?! I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that assume they all bought it off PSN because it's a game they never want to leave their Vitas.

Wow, PS3 and PSP launches were amazing!! Especially PS3's with that price. Every other hardware launch seemed to have been not so good at all...

The ps3 was also dramatically overshiped (about 300k I think) and retailers were price slashing it within days just to shift stock

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Do we know how well the vita games sold on the store? Will we ever know?

Probably not. You can tell what the absolute minimum is because the only way you can rate games on PSN is if you buy them on PSN.

So Rayman Origins in the US has sold at least a 1000 copies on the Vita (because it's got about 1k ratings). There isn't really any way to tell how many people actually rate the stuff they buy though. But either way that seems like a lot since its Rayman Origins.

test_account

XP-39C²
The ps3 was also dramatically overshiped (about 300k I think) and retailers were price slashing it within days just to shift stock
From what i've seen, they shipped around 230k PS3s in the UK. And even with price reduction, the RRP was £425, so its pricetag was still very high. The UK PS3 launch was definitely strong concidering the price :)

I was surprised to see the console + game for £200 in Sainsburys by the way... that was if you bought Fifa Football or Uncharted. You'd still need to buy one of those games and buy yourself a memory card -- but that's actually a really reasonable price.

Well, it's good but not great compared to others. Those games are both £40, so you need to spend £240 which is ok if you wanted either of those games but if not, meh. Asda is the great deal, £197 standalone! I wish more supermarkets matched that, I don't have any Asda's nearby.

While Vita numbers are decent, but I'm worried for it's longevity. I wouldn't be surprised if in a week or two numbers completely drop off.

-Cally-

Neo Member
I think the Vita has Lego Harry Potter, unit 13 and Silent Hill coming next month...not exactly rolling in games there.

Cipherr

if you want to play 3ds vs psv we're have to see how the chart looks over the next few weeks.

I think you would be better off waiting on actual numbers if you want to compare anything. Chart position comparisons are fairly idiotic without the only data that matters, the actual units sold.

Takao

Banned
How big is the silent hill franchise in Europe? Gravity Rush sales are really hard to predict hopefully SoE advertises the hell out of it.

What does Sony Online Entertainment have to do with anything?

SCEE ;) probably won't push Gravity Rush hard given it's a PSN title in EU. After the amazing debut of HSG that's maybe for the best.

Silent Hill alone probably makes it better than what 3DS had. And then it has Gravity Rush in May.

The Vita's launch lineup alone is better than 3DS' first six months... but they're not competing against that now. They're competing against an established competitor and everything else around it. Nintendo sacrificed the launch lineup for the privelege of launching nearly a year earlier... thinking about the LTD userbases of each so far, it was probably a good move.

Silent Hill alone probably makes it better than what 3DS had. And then it has Gravity Rush in May.

This is a Sales-Age thread, though. Those titles may be qualitatively better than anything 3DS had between launch and OoT 3D (or between OoT 3D and SF64 3D, for that matter), but how likely are they to actually sell systems beyond the early adopters?

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I think you would be better off waiting on actual numbers if you want to compare anything. Chart position comparisons are fairly idiotic without the only data that matters, the actual units sold.

Of course I don't just mean positions, but that being said it can still be quite telling, after the second week of the 3ds release in the uk it's games dropped out of the chart completely for months, if that doesn't happen with the vita then numbers or not we know it isn't doing as bad initially, and anyway it's fun conjecturing and trying to work this stuff out without the numbers, and then when we do get them it's the icing on the cake.

Top Bottom