• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 9, 2015

Mokubba

Some people thought The Order was going to drop down the charts after WOM.
I have to say I'm surprised to see it have a low drop especially with the reviews and price.
Well done.

IIRC inFAMOUS SS was around 80K for the second week, so 50K minimum sounds good.

Also good to see Driveclub back. Anyone know why it jumped back?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think more realistically is that early ps4 buyers like the software sony has expected them to like (and has cultivated them to like) and don't particularly care what angry joe thinks because he is not a relevant tastemaker.

IMO.

Really good sales for The Order. Not surprised either, most people I know who have played it really enjoyed it and the target market for this kind of game is closer to casual style gaming so it would take people 10-12 hours to finish it so the main complaint of it being too short doesn't really ring true for these people.

I think The Order 1887 will be really successful if they add a bit more gameplay and a co-op mode. It could be a really successful franchise and it has had a really good start in terms of sales across Europe.

Elios83

Some people thought The Order was going to drop down the charts after WOM.
I have to say I'm surprised to see it have a low drop especially with the reviews and price.
Well done.

IIRC inFAMOUS SS was around 80K for the second week, so 50K minimum sounds good.

Also good to see Driveclub back. Anyone know why it jumped back?

Word of mouth around the game is not negative, on the contrary it's quite positive although the limits and peculiarities of the game like linearity, lack of depth in the gameplay and lack of replay value are clear. Imo a lot of people are simply attracted by the great setting, characters and graphics and are curious to play it, they simply don't care about reviews, assuming they even know about them not being stellar.
Overall it seems like sales so far have been good for a new IP, I hope they're decent enough to justify a sequel addressing the problems of the original.

Pezus

Nice hold for The Order. I remember people expecting a bigger than usual drop for the game due to review embargo and low meta..., but it beat those expectations.

DC rises!

Incinuating that any negative opinions of the game surely means they didn't play it? Lol

It means...

I'm talking about people I acutally know in reallife.
;)

Really good sales for The Order. Not surprised either, most people I know who have played it really enjoyed it and the target market for this kind of game is closer to casual style gaming so it would take people 10-12 hours to finish it so the main complaint of it being too short doesn't really ring true for these people.

I think The Order 1887 will be really successful if they add a bit more gameplay and a co-op mode. It could be a really successful franchise and it has had a really good start in terms of sales across Europe.
I think more realistically is that early ps4 buyers like the software sony has expected them to like (and has cultivated them to like) and don't particularly care what angry joe thinks because he is not a relevant tastemaker.

IMO.
Absolutely agree!

spwolf

yep... people forgot that target market is different. I still did not finish it and likely wont in next 10 days, i play 30m at a time.

Mokubba

Word of mouth around the game is not negative, on the contrary it's quite positive although the limits and peculiarities of the game like linearity, lack of depth in the gameplay and lack of replay value are clear. Imo a lot of people are simply attracted by the great setting, characters and graphics and are curious to play it, they simply don't care about reviews, assuming they even know about them not being stellar.
Overall it seems like sales so far have been good for a new IP, I hope they're decent enough to justify a sequel addressing the problems of the original.

It's not negative from people who've played the game but I'm sure some people have just looked at reviews and passed on what they read but I'm glad that hasn't had an effect, not in Europe anyway.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Do we know what kind of bundles the game had in UK, how were they spread across stores in the country? It could help us judging better the game's performance in the country. Still, it's undeniable that second week's performance was % better than expected. I was expecting something like 65-70% honestly. Things won't go nearly as well in US, probably, though.

Do we know what kind of bundles the game had in UK, how were they spread across stores in the country? It could help us judging better the game's performance in the country. Still, it's undeniable that second week's performance was % better than expected. I was expecting something like 65-70% honestly. Things won't go nearly as well in US, probably, though.

I haven't seen any bundles including The Order in the UK, Hot UK Deals had this one listed:

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/playstation-4-console-order-1886-289-99-smyths-instore-2152640

But that is not going to account for more than 500 units as it is only in Smyths.

Elios83

It's not negative from people who've played the game but I'm sure some people have just looked at reviews and passed on what they read but I'm glad that hasn't had an effect, not in Europe anyway.

That's what I meant, reviews for me are the critical response.
Word of mouth is made by ''normal'' people who have played the game and share their opinions on it suggesting it or not to friends and other people, like a movie :D
Word of mouth is not negative. Reviews at this point don't seem to have a meaningful impact on personal choices (just like reviews and manufactured hype have not made the success of other titles....Evolve is last on that list).
But even not counting reviews The Order still has the used market as its biggest enemy considering its short length, lack of multiplayer and replayability, so a good second week is a good sign worth of note.

Hasney

I haven't seen any bundles including The Order in the UK, Hot UK Deals had this one listed:

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/playstation-4-console-order-1886-289-99-smyths-instore-2152640

But that is not going to account for more than 500 units as it is only in Smyths.

It's in most bundles at Game

http://www.game.co.uk/en/hardware/playstation-4-ps4-consoles/?cm_re=home-_-ps4-_-PS4Bundles

Argos also hand it in a good value bundle last week which was £299.99 with The Order and TLOU. Still there now, but at £329.99

Mpl90

DRAGON BALL XENOVERSE (BANDAI NAMCO GAMES) - Between 15,896 and 20,805
DRAGON BALL Z: BATTLE OF Z (BANDAI NAMCO GAMES) - 5,434
DRAGON BALL Z: ULTIMATE TENKAICHI (BANDAI NAMCO GAMES) < 5,434
DRAGON BALL Z: RAGING BLAST 2 (BANDAI NAMCO GAMES) < 5,434

Hopefully Metro UK will publish the platform split.

no wonder, they probably had toasters for servers expecting less than 50K WW or something

game is awesome despite that though

Loudninja

IMO.
I agree.

nib95

Banned
The Order's legs are as short as the game, it seems.

Is this one of those you had saved that you'd post whether it was logical to or not?

Anyway good to see The Order with some legs, and interesting to see DriveClub back up too. Didn't expect to see a Dragon Ball Z game up there, nor PES ahead of Fifa in certain countries.

Well there's gotta be an explanation obviously! The Order cannot be selling well, it's just not possible...

So you feel the less than expected drop is due to positive word of mouth for the game rather than it being bundled somewhat heavily over the past week with bundles going as low as £299?

Mpl90

Given the period, I think it's quite implausible PS4 sold 50,000 in two weeks: in that case, the assumption is that each copy of the game was sold through bundling, and that sounds completely irrealistic. Now, given last week's deals, what could be argued is that there is a possibility that a good amount of copies among the overall sell-through were bundled copies of the game. Since it's between 15,000 and 20,000 copies, something like...30-33% of the overall copies at max?

So you feel the less than expected drop is due to positive word of mouth for the game rather than it being bundled somewhat heavily over the past week with bundles going as low as £299?

I think Bundles will have their effect in the next few weeks but at least for this week the lower than expected drop is mostly from the game being received rather okay. Yes, word of mouth may have been good, it has been in my experiance (though obviously my anecdotal data is only a few people).

Given the period, I think it's quite implausible PS4 sold 50,000 in two weeks: in that case, the assumption is that each copy of the game was sold through bundling, and that sounds completely irrealistic. Now, given last week's deals, what could be argued is that there is a possibility that a good amount of copies among the overall sell-through were bundled copies of the game. Since it's between 15,000 and 20,000 copies, something like...30-33% of the overall copies at max?

I'd agree with that. Without bundling, I have no doubt we would have been the normal 60 to 68 per cent WoW drop we usually see with games.

I think Bundles will have their effect in the next few weeks but at least for this week the lower than expected drop is mostly from the game being received rather okay. Yes, word of mouth may have been good, it has been in my experiance (though obviously my anecdotal data is only a few people).

Bundling has both an immediate and long term effect. We saw this with DC and its near 1000% increase in sales during the first week of heavy bundling.

I won't entirely discount the positive WoM effect, I sold the game to one friend as I knew it was the kind of game he'd love but he felt unsure after reviews, but the less than expected drop this week is likely more down to bundling rather than any effect positive word of mouth or natural interest from casual gamers.

It's also worth noting that the number of copies CEX has increased by 100 since this morning...

It's now sitting at 1019. (was 909 this morning if memory serves) We're not at DC levels where the number of copies would increase by 200 in a few hours at times, but it seems there's a slow but steady up-tick in people trading the game in.

Speaking of bundles there's this article from couple days ago talking about bundles hurting software sales

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/is-bundling-killing-software-sales/0145562

The chart-track guy say they estimate up to 50% of PS4/XB1 software sold could be bundled. Also says 90% of hardware sold in Black Friday had software packed in. Seems like retailers been very aggressive with bundling this gen compared to last gen.

Seems like that might warrant its own thread.

&#8220;The weeks after Black Friday weren&#8217;t great for hardware sell-through and many people receiving software with the hardware hasn&#8217;t helped further purchasing,&#8221; Bloch said.

Huh, that's pretty surprising.

Meanwhile, one major retailer says that the quality of games is not matching what gamers are demanding.

&#8220;Customer expectation on new gen is higher than the final games being delivered.&#8221;

While I've thoroughly enjoyed a lot of current gen only games, this rings somewhat true.

2thepoint

So The Order: 1886 debuted No1 in the UK, France, Germany, Spain, Australia and other EU territories.

Great work RAD.

Proves reviews mean nothing - after the absolute unfair massacring of the title by reviewers, I will never use reviews as a reference for purchases.

I loved the The Order: 1886, and it seems to have been successful.

Hoping for a sequel now. :)

Mpl90

So The Order: 1886 debuted No1 in the UK, France, Germany, Spain, Australia and other EU territories.

Great work RAD.

Proves reviews mean nothing - after the absolute unfair massacring of the title by reviewers, I will never use reviews as a reference for purchases.

I loved the The Order: 1886, and it seems to have been successful.

Hoping for a sequel now. :)

You could've added some TM for Sony, The Order, PS4 and what else while you were at it.

2thepoint

How do you know that he works for Sony? Honest question.

EDIT: Unless i'm missing some joke here.

Yes, it certainly seems that I work/previously worked for Sony because I enjoyed their latest release and am happy to see it succeed.

Seems completely plausible.

Guess the jig is up - behold my true identity Playstation Nation. *flies off into the sunset

jacktrettonhappy.jpg

BKK

Speaking of bundles there's this article from couple days ago talking about bundles hurting software sales

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/is-bundling-killing-software-sales/0145562

The chart-track guy say they estimate up to 50% of PS4/XB1 software sold could be bundled. Also says 90% of hardware sold in Black Friday had software packed in. Seems like retailers been very aggressive with bundling this gen compared to last gen.

The figures are disappointing, particularly in the face of a rapidly rising install base for Xbox One and PS4. Combined, the two platforms have sold almost 3.5m units in the UK so far.

Presumably 2 million PS4 would have been announced, so we can assume PS4: <2m, XB1: >1.5m.

I've seen quite a few TV ads for the order, especially over the weekend with the football. I think it's probably going to be a fairly solid seller in some places and bomb in others.

Mpl90

Presumably 2 million PS4 would have been announced, so we can assume PS4: <2m, XB1: >1.5m.

Just to be more accurate, that data is up to Week 7, since it's from the MCV issue before the latest. I posted that stuff 10 days ago already! :p

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=153061415&postcount=119

From the latest MCV Magazine issue:

"recent releases - including Saints Row and Evolve - have not achieved the numbers some retailers had anticipated"
As of Week 7, 2015 - PS4 + Xbox One = almost 3.5 millions
"In the UK, for the first 14 months of the respective PS3, Xbox 360, PS4 and Xbox One launches, PlayStation tie ratios are down 14% and Xbox down 16%.
Over 26% of all PS4 and Xbox Ones sold in 2013 were bundles.
When "soft-bundling" is included, the percentage could be up to 50% (estimate).
During Black Friday, 90% of hardware sold were bundles.

Top Bottom