• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paladins Open Beta Thread | PC

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Wow, I'm surprised to see details on a new patch so soon. Seeing a new character so soon is also pretty surprising, but I guess Ying wasn't *technically* new. No info on release dates, so we'll just have to wait and see.

I like Mal Damba, he seems like a character that I would play and enjoy.

we will most likely get a new champ every 2 weeks like how they do for smite apparently the only reason they havnt released a new champ in a while is because they had to go back and spend a bunch of time from the art department getting everyone up to date with the new cosmetic system

we will most likely get a new champ every 2 weeks like how they do for smite apparently the only reason they havnt released a new champ in a while is because they had to go back and spend a bunch of time from the art department getting everyone up to date with the new cosmetic system

That would be awesome, I'm sure it's hard to balance things once you reach a high number of playable characters but assuming that things still play well and aren't totally one sided I'm really excited about consistently getting new characters :D

Every two weeks eh? I'd be content with one new hero a month. Doesn't Smite do that? I know that Paragon releases a new hero every three weeks.

It'll be very interesting to have a hero shooter that releases new characters so quickly, should the "one new hero a month" thing be true.

Shengar

Personally, I want them to release new heroes on monthly basis for balance reason. It's fine for them releasing new heroes on biweekly basis as of now since the is still in beta and it needs lot of content.

Oreoleo

Every two weeks seems really optimistic to me. They mentioned on the stream the other day it takes them 3-4 months to take a hero from conceptualization to finished product and that Mal'Damba is a direct response to the current meta and what the game needs (skill shot/long range heal, AOE to force all those frontliners off the objective). If they just throw shit at the wall to pump out heroes I think it could break the balance of the game. Best to take their time with things to serve the game etter. I don't particularly expect to get new heroes more frequently than every month or two.

I think they really need to address match making. Most of my games lately have been steamroll one way or the other. If I play support, my teammates suck at damage. If I play tank, often the same thing but tanks can at least dps a bit better although dealing with certain bad match ups is un-doable. If I play damage, we usually win and I end up double or triple damage over the next guy.

This just tells me it's putting me in a lower bracket than I should be or there is just something else going on.

So just now for example, I played ying twice. First time playing ying my team got steam rolled. Only cassie on my team actually out damaged me, while I was focusing on dropping heals around the point and keeping the tank up, who refused to do anything but run in the middle of their entire team.

The second game fared no better. Probably even worse. Both games were 0-4. The second game I out dps'd everyone on my team and including some of the opponent team again. I had followed a bomb king planning to 2v1 a dude and the moment BK ran into the enemy he ran off hiding... I try to drop heals around the objective and the tank is running off to go hide and heal. Anyway... both games as ying were bad.

Then I played cassie. I didn't even play very well. I missed a lot of shots I should not have. I had mouse problems (damn thing needs to be fixed) where my mouse would dc for a second in the middle of a fire fight, sometimes multiple times. And I still managed to double the next players damage and not even die.

6777C79ECF3D3B3079A67E986239814567122B01

So I basically cannot play support if I want to win. And I do find support fun. Tank is also sort of the same way, but much less. I need to carry my team hard, and as support that is very difficult to do because your teammates don't play in concert with you, almost ever.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Every two weeks eh? I'd be content with one new hero a month. Doesn't Smite do that? I know that Paragon releases a new hero every three weeks.

It'll be very interesting to have a hero shooter that releases new characters so quickly, should the "one new hero a month" thing be true.

when smite first came out in 2012 there was a new god added every other wednesday there was no pts it would just be patchnotes on tuesday then god launch on wednesday but now that they have a week of pts it might be one new champ every 3 weeks for paladins but still one new champ a month will be great

Every two weeks seems really optimistic to me. They mentioned on the stream the other day it takes them 3-4 months to take a hero from conceptualization to finished product and that Mal'Damba is a direct response to the current meta and what the game needs (skill shot/long range heal, AOE to force all those frontliners off the objective). If they just throw shit at the wall to pump out heroes I think it could break the balance of the game. Best to take their time with things to serve the game etter. I don't particularly expect to get new heroes more frequently than every month or two.

thats just the dev time they always have a pipeline of champs being worked on at once same for smite

So I basically cannot play support if I want to win. And I do find support fun. Tank is also sort of the same way, but much less. I need to carry my team hard, and as support that is very difficult to do because your teammates don't play in concert with you, almost ever.

This is the biggest problem I have at the moment as well. Pretty much exactly what you've described has lead to the teams I'm on getting rolled. It's a bit discouraging.

Finaika

Every 2 weeks seems very optimistic.

Every month would be more realistic.

KKRT00

I think they really need to address match making. Most of my games lately have been steamroll one way or the other. If I play support, my teammates suck at damage. If I play tank, often the same thing but tanks can at least dps a bit better although dealing with certain bad match ups is un-doable. If I play damage, we usually win and I end up double or triple damage over the next guy.

For me its different. Basically no one plays tank ;/ even when people select front-line they do not know how to play it.
And even if i get a tank, i dont get heals ...
I like to play as Ying, because i make her tanky and fast and actually make as a tank and healer and sometimes it wins me a game, unless we have team of fully squishy characters.
What i dont like is that ults like Ying are not effective most of the time, because people are not on objectives ;/ This will change drastically when i get to competitive or will be playing with more friends with voice communication though.

Btw Kinessa should be reworked. Basically 95% time person picks it, i know we have a dead team member.

For me its different. Basically no one plays tank ;/ even when people select front-line they do not know how to play it.
And even if i get a tank, i dont get heals ...
I like to play as Ying, because i make her tanky and fast and actually make as a tank and healer and sometimes it wins me a game, unless we have team of fully squishy characters.
What i dont like is that ults like Ying are not effective most of the time, because people are not on objectives ;/ This will change drastically when i get to competitive or will be playing with more friends with voice communication though.

Btw Kinessa should be reworked. Basically 95% time person picks it, i know we have a dead team member.

Kinessa is a character I wish they never added. I remember the game having a much different feel to it before they pushed a hitscan sniper in the game.

Does update 35 come out today? I paused on this game for about a week but I want to keep playing it when the next update is out.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Then I played cassie. I didn't even play very well. I missed a lot of shots I should not have. I had mouse problems (damn thing needs to be fixed) where my mouse would dc for a second in the middle of a fire fight, sometimes multiple times. And I still managed to double the next players damage and not even die.

Are you sure it's breaking down? Because I'm sure that's just a loose connection inside the mouse. My mouse used to do exactly that abd later when I opened it up to clean it out and fix my scroll wheel, I noticed the power connector wasn't properly inserted into the slot. Pushed it in all the way and it hasn't done that since, so it could end up being an easy and cheap fix.

Are you sure it's breaking down? Because I'm sure that's just a loose connection inside the mouse. My mouse used to do exactly that abd later when I opened it up to clean it out and fix my scroll wheel, I noticed the power connector wasn't properly inserted into the slot. Pushed it in all the way and it hasn't done that since, so it could end up being an easy and cheap fix.

It's probably what you're describing. I'll have to get around to trying something like that.

I opened it up, checked the connection, made sure it was snug and it seemed to be. I don't think it's just a loose connection, it is probably the cord itself.

I think I'll try out an older mouse I have lying around and perhaps just buy a cheap one. This mouse caught my eye, 10 dollars and very basic http://www.pcgamer.com/biostars-fir..._source=twitter&utm_campaign=buffer-pcgamertw

edit:
It's kinda weird how it only really DCs when I play a fps. You'd think it is the strain I guess, but when I test moving it around faster than when I play a fps, putting more strain, it doesn't happen.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I opened it up, checked the connection, made sure it was snug and it seemed to be. I don't think it's just a loose connection, it is probably the cord itself.

I think I'll try out an older mouse I have lying around and perhaps just buy a cheap one. This mouse caught my eye, 10 dollars and very basic http://www.pcgamer.com/biostars-fir..._source=twitter&utm_campaign=buffer-pcgamertw

edit:
It's kinda weird how it only really DCs when I play a fps. You'd think it is the strain I guess, but when I test moving it around faster than when I play a fps, putting more strain, it doesn't happen.

You sure it's not the USB port itself that loses connection when you play games in general? Could either be the USB hub on the motherboard or your powersupply going, but yeah I'd check with another mouse first

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Gonna download this later after watvhing the twrrible Giantbomb quicklook. I loved (love? Just dont play it anymore) Overwatch so there seems to be nobreason why I wont enjoy this. The supports look cool too which is what I like to playbthe most. That and the fact that you are locked to a character and there cant be copies on a team.

Bummed I missed the founder pack sale but im sire it will go on sale again eventually

Ploid 3.0

Gonna download this later after watvhing the twrrible Giantbomb quicklook. I loved (love? Just dont play it anymore) Overwatch so there seems to be nobreason why I wont enjoy this. The supports look cool too which is what I like to playbthe most. That and the fact that you are locked to a character and there cant be copies on a team.

Bummed I missed the founder pack sale but im sire it will go on sale again eventually

hah seems like you're on a phone. You should check some of Totalbiscut's footage of Paladins. He took a level headed approach to it, and he loves Overwatch as well.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
hah seems like you're on a phone. You should check some of Totalbiscut's footage of Paladins. He took a level headed approach to it, and he loves Overwatch as well.

I am on a phone, at work no less lol. And TB did some videos of this? Cool gonna check them now.

You sure it's not the USB port itself that loses connection when you play games in general? Could either be the USB hub on the motherboard or your powersupply going, but yeah I'd check with another mouse first

Only the mouse has connectivity issues. The power supply is only like 2 years old. I think it's damage on the usb cord. Since I have other minor issues with the mouse (right click is unreliable), I'll probably just get a new mouse.

they still haven't balanced Skye yet huh lol

Next patch her ultimate will receive a change; the further away you are from the bomb, the less damage you take.

I assume you are talking about her ultimate, because that's what everyone talks about when they discuss "Skye" and "balance".

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Next patch her ultimate will receive a change; the further away you are from the bomb, the less damage you take.

I assume you are talking about her ultimate, because that's what everyone talks about when they discuss "Skye" and "balance".

yeah that's my only gripe about her, absurdly high damage and that the radius is misleading

Ploid 3.0

Yeah that ultra is so crazy, I think I'm already far from where she's placing it down, I can probably run out of it's range since my dash is not rea.. dead.

selo

I was wondering if anyone on here was playing this, for some reason I had not seen the OT.

I've been playing this for 2 weeks, its pretty fun! I've never played overwatch, but I hear they're similar'ish, but this one is free :D (although I did end up buying the founders pack, just to support the game).

Been having a blast with androxus, cassie and ying. Saw the livestream for the snake character, can't say I loved how he looked or play, but i'll reserve my final judgement until i get my hands on him.

Great stuff!

Rhaknar

I was wondering if anyone on here was playing this, for some reason I had not seen the OT.

I've been playing this for 2 weeks, its pretty fun! I've never played overwatch, but I hear they're similar'ish, but this one is free :D (although I did end up buying the founders pack, just to support the game).

Been having a blast with androxus, cassie and ying. Saw the livestream for the snake character, can't say I loved how he looked or play, but i'll reserve my final judgement until i get my hands on him.

Great stuff!

Is there a link to this video with the snake guy? I assume its a preview of the next character.

Rhaknar

oh I thought you guys meant a playable snake :<

also recently got bouts of dc'ing

Totally expected a snake person too, not someone using a snake lol. Looks cool tho, and more supports is good for me.

Who are the current free heroes? I assume there is a League style rotation.

Oreoleo

Finally tried Ying tonight. It took me a few games but I got the hang of her and she's pretty fun! Landing shatters on enemies as they're retreating from your team mates to clean up is very rewarding.
Who are the current free heroes? I assume there is a League style rotation.
Nope no rotations. About half the roster is available from the get-go and the rest are unlocked pretty swiftly with the in-game currency.

Rhaknar

Finally tried Ying tonight. It took me a few games but I got the hang of her and she's pretty fun! Landing shatters on enemies as they're retreating from your team mates to clean up is very rewarding.

Nope no rotations. About half the roster is available from the get-go and the rest are unlocked pretty swiftly with the in-game currency.

Oh really? So the founders pack isn't really needed?

Oreoleo

Nah, the only things in the founders pack that you can't get through regular play are the custom mount and Fernando skin. I actually ended up buying the founders pack after I'd unlocked almost all the heroes. It refunds the gold you used to unlock them + the 20 (?) chests you get meant I was able to skip most of the grind of unlocking cards. You get a chest every time you level up your profile but the leveling up process slows down a ton around level 15 so in that sense getting 20 chests is almost more worthwhile than the hero unlocks. To put it in perspective, in 40 hours I've just hit profile level 21 so it's like double the chests (and therefore cards) I'd have gotten otherwise. Tbh though I wish the pack would have come with some crystals so I could get a premium skin or two but, eh. I'm having a blast with the game and $13 seemed like a fair price. At the $20 it is now I probably wouldn't have bothered.

Ploid 3.0

Think of it like Marvel Heroes where you can unlock heroes with about 500k MH credits or something. I mainly spend gold on cards for the characters I have, if I wanted to unlock another character I could easily do that it seems.

Founder pack have some exclusive skins it seems though. The credits and chests it gives are very nice to start with.

Rhaknar

It refunds the gold if you buy the pack? Thats amazing, that means I can freely buy characters and then if the pack goes on sale again ill gt the gold back,sweet.

K.Sabot

i have yet to play a game where I'm not top 1 or 2 on damage, even when i play fucking ying, i'm doing 80k damage and my mates on bomb king or drogon are doing 25k.

can you duo queue into casual matches in this game? that might alleviate some of my problems.

Ploid 3.0

It refunds the gold if you buy the pack? Thats amazing, that means I can freely buy characters and then if the pack goes on sale again ill gt the gold back,sweet.

I think it also refunds you gold if you get a code that also unlocks a character you already had.

selo

Yeah, that is correct. Also, if you level up and open up a chest, if you already have a card that you got in the chest, it'll give you its gold cost instead, so thats pretty awesome (1,200 gold per card).

Characters aren't very expensive either, some are 4,750 others are 7,500, but you get that amount pretty easily by playing, I like that they're not using money grubbing tacticts, thats why I decided to buy the founders pack even if I could afford the characters with the gold i had, just to support

KKRT00

Yeah, that is correct. Also, if you level up and open up a chest, if you already have a card that you got in the chest, it'll give you its gold cost instead, so thats pretty awesome (1,200 gold per card).

Characters aren't very expensive either, some are 4,750 others are 7,500, but you get that amount pretty easily by playing, I like that they're not using money grubbing tacticts, thats why I decided to buy the founders pack even if I could afford the characters with the gold i had, just to support

Yeah, f2p is extremely fair. You can get 7500 credits in like 3 matches max 4.
Very surprised by business model in this game.

mcz117chief

Can someone explain to me the purpose of Drogo's Q? The missile salvo does negligible damage since each rocket deals 250 damage compared to around a 1000 that normal rockets deal.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Can someone explain to me the purpose of Drogo's Q? The missile salvo does negligible damage since each rocket deals 250 damage compared to around a 1000 that normal rockets deal.

Throw them at a group to soften them up. Or fly into the air with it and hit Fernando from behind.

mcz117chief

Throw them at a group to soften them up. Or fly into the air with it and hit Fernando from behind.

I can do that with normal rockets, deal more damage and I don't have to reload. It would have been great if it did normal damage of rockets, that way you could be a real wrecking ball of a character.

Oreoleo

It does more damage to shields so you can burst those down faster than with your basic attack. Beyond that idk. It does seem like kind of a niche ability.

I use a card that gives me a health boost when using Q.

I think what I enjoy most about this game is building different card decks for the characters.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
i have yet to play a game where I'm not top 1 or 2 on damage, even when i play fucking ying, i'm doing 80k damage and my mates on bomb king or drogon are doing 25k.

can you duo queue into casual matches in this game? that might alleviate some of my problems.

dont top damage as bomb king but with cool down reduction you can do massive zone control with grumpy bomb every 4 seconds

mcz117chief

It does more damage to shields so you can burst those down faster than with your basic attack. Beyond that idk. It does seem like kind of a niche ability.

right, that is the idea but shooting shields is not something you really want to do. To be honest, I sometimes take the card that increases damage to shields when I face Barik+Fernando combo but apart from that I rarely use it.

I tried a spit build with salvo. The damage increase off a spit hit plus the damage boost from using the thrusters makes salvo extremely deadly and that little bit of extra damage relevant towards taking people out in a single burst.

Also versus a heavy shield based team it could be very useful. In particular a double tank set up.

Rhaknar

Played a quick match before coming to work against what I assume was bots since they were all running straight at us with no care in the world, so some super early impressions:

- controls felt nice, which is good news.

- graphics on the other hand look super flat. Hopefully this is early in the beta because, well its not a looker. Its not the cartoony art style, that part I actually love, but everything looks very flat, textures wise.

- the level I played felt very small, hopefully the others arent this small.

- I used Pip (I think thats his name?) And he felt very...simple? Probably would feel more engaging against actual players but the basic shot, a slow alt fire and a simple heal isnt exactly the most exciting character design :/

Again I only played one match so this is still very uninformed, but my initial impressions were "this is ok but needs a lot of work still". To be continued I guess.

Top Bottom