• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paramount wants you to get ready for the Transformers Cinematic Universe

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://variety.com/2015/film/news/akiva-goldsman-2-1201461716/
Paramount Pictures, Michael Bay and Lorenzo di Bonaventura are bringing on Akiva Goldsman to help expand the “Transformers” cinematic universe.

Deadline reports Goldsman would not be writing but assembling and overseeing a “writers room” to hatch an idea for how to tackle a two-part sequel in the film’s franchise in addition to potential spinoffs. Goldsman would likely join Bay, di Bonaventura and Steven Spielberg as a producer.

It’s unknown whether Bay will return to directing duties for any new installments. He is currently in pre-production on his Benghazi thriller “13 Hours.”

The franchise is a huge priority for the studio with the most recent film, “Transformers: Age of Extinction,” crossing the $1 billion worldwide box officer marker last year, making it the third film in the franchise to pass that milestone.

Goldsman is no stranger to shaping box-office juggernauts, having helped with tentpoles such as “I Am Legend,” “The Da Vinci Code” and most recently “Insurgent.”

He is repped by WME.

terrisus

brZxQGv.jpg

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I don't understand how such a godawful series of movies can be so successful ..

Only way I would be remotely interested in a Transformers spinoff is if Michael Bay isn't involved and it only features the robots.

rexor0717

There were aspects of Age of Extinction that I enjoyed. Unfortunately they also came with nearly 3 hours of shit. I'd be interested to know more about those non-Decepticon baddies.

There was a time... In which Paramount consider sparing the wretched little franchise of Transformers... But now... You will witness... Its DISMEMBERMENT!

JdFoX187

Banned
They were already hinting at something major at the end of Age of Extinction and then all development just seemed to stall from there. Wonder if they got cold feet from the lukewarm reception stateside.

And why hasn't Paramount combined the GI Joe and Transformers universes yet? You already have several "elite" military units running around. Just get Dwayne Johnson in there alongside Optimus Prime. Shit would sell based on that alone.

I should be excited, but considering how badly Bay and company fucked up the first 3 movies I'm not holding my breath.

The 4th was okay; somebody finally told Bay that the Robots were the focal point of the franchise.

The term "cinematic universe" is getting used way too much these days. What differentiates this from simply being part of a franchise?

Transformers can't be a cinematic universe, because it's all one franchise. If they wanted to combine it with Battlefield they could make a "Hasbro Cinematic Universe" if they wanted to. Basically it's a franchise within a franchise, like Captain America is a franchise within the Marvel franchise

They're using the term here because people like it, not because it fits

Dabanton

I don't understand how such a godawful series of movies can be so successful ..

Michael Bay knows how to place his move just right, there aren't many directors who can stage organised chaos like he can.

His films are overlong,usually nonsensical,but their actually watchable.

Transformers can't be a cinematic universe, because it's all one franchise. If they wanted to combine it with Battlefield they could make a "Hasbro Cinematic Universe" if they wanted to. Basically it's a franchise within a franchise, like Captain America is a franchise within the Marvel franchise

They're using the term here because people like it, not because it fits

Huh? Transformers has the toys, the comics, the video games, etc...

It can absolutely be a cinematic universe.

Opiate

The term "cinematic universe" is getting used way too much these days. What differentiates this from simply being part of a franchise?

PR speak, obviously. But that's also true with the "Marvel Cinematic Universe," which just so happens to be PR speak for a production more people like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom