• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paramount wants you to get ready for the Transformers Cinematic Universe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vyer

got damn it.

what makes this worse is how excited I would have been for this type of thing under different circumstances.

galvatron_kills_scream-81307.gif

Busty

Banned
This is probably nothing to do with the fact that everyone over at Viacom is terrified about what is going to happen once (if ?) ol' Sumner Redstone pops his clogs.

The huge wave of media consolidation has been in a holding pattern for years and it looks like once it starts Viacom, and Paramount, will be swept up with it. They are the smallest of the 'big 6' studios with the smallest output and could easily be absorbed by someone like Fox.

This just screams of "we still fuuuuunction" to try and get investors on board with keeping them a separate ongoing concern seeing as they have so much going on like this and...., another Spongebob film. Or something.

Dead Man

Of course.. but that's my point. When people complain about lack of originality it's a fairly vacuous complaint. Completely loses it's weight when the same people buy up completely unoriginal movies in record amounts.

And I'm sure you have examples of people criticising this for unoriginality and then loving the MCU for it's originality, right? Since you say it's the same people doing both. Right?

Edit: Bah, I don't expect you to have examples ready to go, it just rustles my jimmies when people assume it's the same people doing both things. It is quite possible for it to be a large number of people doing both with little crossover.

G-Fex

I guess Transformers isn't going to die or go away. LOL Of course Bay will still direct, the schmuck loves it.

LOL people asking for Beast Wars. Dream on.

The term "cinematic universe" is getting used way too much these days. What differentiates this from simply being part of a franchise?

Cinematic universes are different because there are multiple franchises with their own sequels that are tied together into one larger universe, or franchise. You don't call something like captain america a spinoff just because he appeared in the avengers.

Michael Bay doing a Benghazi film? holy shit. If Hilary Clinton isn't wielding dual uzis and blowing shit up it'll be a tragedy based on a tragedy.

cmurph

Banned
Ahh man, everyone gets a "cinematic universe" now!

Can't wait for the Twilight and Fast and Furious Cinematic universes.

Jigorath

Banned
I don't see the problem with doing a cinematic universe. Of course the films probably aren't going to be very good but the concept isn't the problem. It's the creative team.

Novocaine

got damn it.

what makes this worse is how excited I would have been for this type of thing under different circumstances.

You mean if they let someone who isn't a talentless hack to write and direct the movies kind of circumstances? If so I'm with you.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I came in here expecting more stuff like Friday the 13th 2009.
News flash: One franchise is not a cinematic universe.

Also, G.I. Joe/Transformers happened in the '80s, courtesy of Marvel. It's always about Marvel.

G-Fex

I don't see the problem with doing a cinematic universe. Of course the films probably aren't going to be very good but the concept isn't the problem. It's the creative team.

It's the stupidest idea for this shit franchise.

Not to mention they killed off all the notable characters people know of. What's there to extend? Also they don't even know what villains to use for the current movies.

I don't get it? The fun of the Marvel cinematic universe is it's continuity between character films, transformers barely has continuity as is. It seems like the villains origins and motivations change every movie.

dankir

I just got off a 9 hour flight and I watched Age of Extinction and TMNT. TMNT was fun and AoE was fucking shitballs....

Scavenger

It's happening. Hasbro confirmed it today.

Hasbro Confirms The Transformers Cinematic Universe - Transformers 5 In 2017?
Hasbro held their 2015 Q1 Earnings Conference Call few hours ago and TFW2005 attended the event as usual. One of the best statements came during the Q&A session. Hasbro CEO Brian Goldner confirmed the Transformers Cinematic Universe and the possible release year for Transformers 5.

"Our plan with the studio and filmakers you may have heard some writers being hired and we have in fact brought in Akiva Goldsman to lead a group of writers to really create a strategic plan around Transformers. We think there are any number of stories to be told from the brand that has been around for 30 years with amazing canon and mythology. We would expect the sequel to the Transformers movie [TF4] to happen in 2017."

quickwhips

First Movie should be autobots leaving cybertron with the matrix of leadership. They crash on earth and have battle with decepticons and can't get home. Movie ends with Unicron eating a planet. Second Movie Autobots plan trip home and save Cybertron from Unicron and Optiimus dies.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Goldsman is no stranger to shaping box-office juggernauts, having helped with tentpoles such as “I Am Legend,” “The Da Vinci Code” and most recently “Insurgent.”

Wasn't a series. Wasn't a series. Is a series but isn't setting the world on fire a la Hunger Games.

Hmmmm...

Well, good for Paramount on starting a Universe up. Not sure I really need one for Transformers, but... there you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom