• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Patapon Remastered |OT|

I need some help with the fighting part.

I can't finish the first hunting the elephants mission, marching goes fine until I get to the elephant guys and then the pons start to yell attack and march at the same time in their speech bubbles and when I command them to attack it always says I messed up, even when I command them after their chant.

I don't really know when I'm suppose to attack with pon pon pata pon.

I'm not noticing any input lag like a bunch of people are reporting. (PAL and playing it on a Sony Bravia)

Don't bother with the speech bubbles. The only thing that matters is the beat. Whatever command you input, you then need to wait for the command to be executed completely by the patapon, which will take "four beats".

Let's say you told them to march with square square square circle. They march, but you, the player only pay attention to the beat: 1, 2, 3, 4. After the fourth "beat", if you want them to attack, you input circle, circle, square, circle. You have to wait for the 1, 2, 3, 4 to happen before you start inputing your second command. If you don't, the patapon will stop doing whatever you are doing.

So, for exemple, here's a series of commands you would want to input: march, attack, attack, attack, march. Here's how it translates into input for you:

□ □ □ ○ 1 2 3 4 ○ ○ □ ○ 1 2 3 4 ○ ○ □ ○ 1 2 3 4 ○ ○ □ ○ 1 2 3 4 □ □ □ ○

What you cannot do is this:

□ □ □ ○ 1 2 ○ ○ □ ○

or

□ □ □ ○ 1 2 3 ○ ○ □ ○

or

□ □ □ ○ 1 ○ ○ □ ○

You might be tempted to immediately input a new command right after another, if the circumstances demand it, but do not do that! You HAVE to respect the four beats inbetween each command.

Hope this helps.

Played an hour, no lag issues.
NA. PS4 pro. 1080p LCD Sony Bravia. Game Mode

Only complaint I have is that I can't adjust the screen size. Some of the icons on screen are really close to the edge.

Other than that the game is a blast for me so far. Getting trophies in one of my favorite games is awesome!

Morat

Banned
God I miss my PSP. So many weird little gems (like Patapon or Locoroco) on it, as well as being an excellent emulation system. Is there a way to fix the power jack on a Psp 1000 phat? Mine broke a while ago, but I've still got my discs and the unit.

Ravelle

NA, standard PS4, Samsung KS8000, game mode on.

No input lag.

Intro sequence is really blurry and blatantly straight from the PSP game. Audio quality is completely ass throughout the whole game. This is a pretty damn disappointing "remaster". This is what I would expect out of an emulator, not a full $15 game. It's surprising that this didn't include the other two games, because it doesn't look like any work was put into this.

You can't just release a rhythm game with shit audio like this.

The UI also looks blown out. It's not blurry or anything, but everything's massive and really close up. It feels too much like the PSP version, in that it made sense for a handheld device with a small screen, but not a TV.

It seems you're having a very different experience than me, the sound and UI is completely fine on my end. There's some really weird things going on on different setups.

Don't bother with the speech bubbles. The only thing that matters is the beat. Whatever command you input, you then need to wait for the command to be executed completely by the patapon, which will take "four beats".

Let's say you told them to march with square square square circle. They march, but you, the player only pay attention to the beat: 1, 2, 3, 4. After the fourth "beat", if you want them to attack, you input circle, circle, square, circle. You have to wait for the 1, 2, 3, 4 to happen before you start inputing your second command. If you don't, the patapon will stop doing whatever you are doing.

So, for exemple, here's a series of commands you would want to input: march, attack, attack, attack, march. Here's how it translates into input for you:

□ □ □ ○ 1 2 3 4 ○ ○ □ ○ 1 2 3 4 ○ ○ □ ○ 1 2 3 4 ○ ○ □ ○ 1 2 3 4 □ □ □ ○

What you cannot do is this:

□ □ □ ○ 1 2 ○ ○ □ ○

or

□ □ □ ○ 1 2 3 ○ ○ □ ○

or

□ □ □ ○ 1 ○ ○ □ ○

You might be tempted to immediately input a new command right after another, if the circumstances demand it, but do not do that! You HAVE to respect the four beats inbetween each command.

Hope this helps.

It does! Thanks!

I've never understood Fever mode in these games either. I'll get a few commands in, then suddenly my combo will end abruptly like I missed the beat, but they'll still follow my command anyways.

magawolaz

I've never understood Fever mode in these games either. I'll get a few commands in, then suddenly my combo will end abruptly like I missed the beat, but they'll still follow my command anyways.
Probably because you gave the new command perfectly (making them following it), just too early compared to the previous command (breaking the combo).

(I dunno how to explain it better, sorry)

EU version. Quite old TV-model from Samsung, cant even remember, circa 2010 or before.

At first I thought that there was lag, but eventually I got much better at rhythm. If anyone played Patapon 2 or 3 to death, you should remember that Patapon 1 is very strict on rhythm. 2 and 3 are MUCH easier on that regard. The dreaded desert I crossed fine. Well I had to put Miracle few times but I didn’t screw up.

It appears that Patapon 1s strict rhythm and potential lag from different TVs might cause problems for some and for others nothing.

Graphics are fine, but FMVs were left blurry. It’s not bad, since there are only very few in beginning and end, but it is notable because one of the drum obtained screens is way blurrier than other. Sound could’ve been better too.

One thing that got left behind and I’ll ask again, it still feels weird to buy games again that I already own. What’s other people opinion on rebuying games? Ala remasters like this or just ports. Just curious.

While I don't feel any input lag, I will say that I am having a much harder time inputing a perfect command to get an instant fever. I usually got these all the time on the PSP, and here, I only got it once. :/

Also, for those new to the game: when you go hunting, do not take with you the axe guys! Only take the spear and bow guys! The axe guys will scare the animals away as they need to get up close to attack. So remove them from your party before deploying for the hunt!

Keym

Probably because you gave the new command perfectly (making them following it), just too early compared to the previous command (breaking the combo).

(I dunno how to explain it better, sorry)
Listen closely to the drums: when you hit the note perfrctly, it makes a louder noise with each beat you hit. It's more evident when you're out of Fever mode. The more perfect notes you hit, the earlier you'll trigger Fever, and in order to keep it up, you need to hit a couple of perfect notes every now and then with each command.

One thing that got left behind and I’ll ask again, it still feels weird to buy games again that I already own. What’s other people opinion on rebuying games? Ala remasters like this or just ports. Just curious.

A straight remaster feels a little weird, but there are pros/cons. I appreciate when work is put into the port, like MGS HD or Odin Sphere Leifthrasir. Those games, I think, justify their costs.

I think $14.99, for what is essentially an HD update to the game, is fair.

Ravelle

I suck at hunts and I'm getting frustrated, all the animals keep running away and I keep falling behind trying to catch up, I never know when I should stop commanding attack and when to command them to move a step. I get a lot of times during an attack there's nothing to attack while there's still dudes right in front of me.

There seems something wrong with the trumpet tree as well, I start pressing O the moment he stops singing but nothing happens and it also seems the game's auto-firing my input because the guy blows his trumpet very fast without me doing anything and gives the incorrect trumpet sound What's going on?

I suck at hunts and I'm getting frustrated, all the animals keep running away and I keep falling behind trying to catch up, I never know when I should stop commanding attack and when to command them to move a step. I get a lot of times during an attack there's nothing to attack while there's still dudes right in front of me.

Do you have the axe guys in your formation? If yes, that would explain it. Take them out. Only assign spear and bow guys to your formation when you go hunt.

melkier33

There seems something wrong with the trumpet tree as well, I start pressing O the moment he stops singing but nothing happens and it also seems the game's auto-firing my input because the guy blows his trumpet very fast without me doing anything and gives the incorrect trumpet sound What's going on?

Hunt in the rain, and remove the axe guys. The tree game always pissed me off on psp, I think you have to wait for an a hah sound effect to start the rhythm.

Ravelle

Do you have the axe guys in your formation? If yes, that would explain it. Take them out. Only assign spear and bow guys to your formation when you go hunt.

Oh dang, I do. I'll remove them!

Also yes, I do suck at this rhythm at the moment, it's something to get used to.

Neith

Banned
I'm not really sure what would take up over 500MB from the PSP version, so I would think they actually improved sound quality. It did not sound too bad on my Denon and HD600s. Normal video game remaster from the day if you ask me.

Really weird the other 2 were not included though.

Funny thing is I can still emulate these three games on PSPPP at 4K, but I chose to first play this game now I guess. It is pretty cool, but I wonder if we see the other two now....

dracula_x

Just dropping by to share this. Free themes for entering one of the war drum, I got mine immediately.
http://woobox.com/kmoebs?embed=1&plugin=%7B%22pid%22%3A%22kmoebs_0%22%2C%22fid%22%3A%22offer%22%7D

in addition, interview with creators – https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...lassic-patapon-as-told-by-the-games-creators/

36173993301_865f70b0e9_h.jpg

– Finally, please say something to the fans anticipating Patapon Remastered's release.

– Kotani: Newer televisions tend to have display lag, making rhythm games harder to play than before. This was my biggest fear going into the remaster project. I thought that if the lag made the rhythms of the game too difficult to grasp, then the whole project would have to be scrapped.

However! After a lot of work by the development team, it's actually easier to get into the rhythm than even the PSP version! [laughs]. Even if you couldn't manage it on the PSP version, Fever is awarded for only a 3-combo, now. You might still experience lag with an older television, but it shouldn't ruin your fun at all. I'm absolutely certain of it!

I'm not really sure what would take up over 500MB from the PSP version, so I would think they actually improved sound quality. It did not sound too bad on my Denon and HD600s. Normal video game remaster from the day if you ask me.

Really weird the other 2 were not included though.

Funny thing is I can still emulate these three games on PSPPP at 4K, but I chose to first play this game now I guess. It is pretty cool, but I wonder if we see the other two now....

Well, Sony recently announced LocoRoco 2 remaster, so I think there's a chance for Patapon 2 too.

---

iMessage stickers also – https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/patapon-stickers/id1256640034?ls=1&mt=8

So far:
YNij1A6.png

Neith

Banned
in addition, interview with creators – https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...lassic-patapon-as-told-by-the-games-creators/

Well, Sony recently announced LocoRoco 2 remaster, so I think there's a chance for Patapon 2 too.

---

iMessage stickers also – https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/patapon-stickers/id1256640034?ls=1&mt=8

So far:
YNij1A6.png

Oh did they announce that?

Cool, then bring on Um Jammer and a couple others I guess. Jumping Flash would be super cool but I would rather a full remake made for cheapish.

Neith

Banned
A straight remaster feels a little weird, but there are pros/cons. I appreciate when work is put into the port, like MGS HD or Odin Sphere Leifthrasir. Those games, I think, justify their costs.

I think $14.99, for what is essentially an HD update to the game, is fair.

Well these do go on sale for PS Plus so it's like 12 for the ones they bother to discount.

It's a bit pricey, because these remasters really don't seem like much work all told. But I support all these remasters on principle. I like what they are doing.

Odin was pretty pricey when it released. I got that one on its first sale I think.

Shin

Banned
Oh man this game looks fun as hell, the music is too catchy!
That 300 picture someone posted some pages back is very fitting as well.

Ravelle

I see what people mean now with the sound, some voices are really soft and this is making me mess up because I don't hear them all the time. Also what to do with fever mode? They chant a different kind of song or cheer that completely distracts me and kicks me out of the rhythm.

KodaRuss

I see what people mean now with the sound, some voices are really soft and this is making me mess up because I don't hear them all the time. Also what to do with fever mode? They chant a different kind of song or cheer that completely distracts me and kicks me out of the rhythm.

That happened to me a lot on the PSP version, I figured out what I was doing wrong but I dont remember what it was now.

Ill be booting this up when I get home and Ill report back.

ThisOne

The dev quote up above says that Fever only requires a 3-combo. That's not true, right? It's taken me 10 every time.

The dev quote up above says that Fever only requires a 3-combo. That's not true, right? It's taken me 10 every time.

From what I remember from playing the games: If your timing is absolutely perfect 3 to 4 commands is enough to get fever. If your timing is a bit off, it takes longer

I don't remember if it was largely different in 1, but 3 perfect beats in a row in Patapon 2 will always put you into Fever. I think at worst you needed 10 straight beats to hit Fever.

Also, just to chime in with the best sequence: you very rarely ever need to break your beats. Nearly everything in the games (including bosses) are timed just right so that you spend 4 beats pressing 4 buttons, and then 4 beats watching it in action.

Steiner

Banned
Played a few levels. No issue with input lag. Got the trophy for maintaining fever for over a minute right away.

If you're having trouble keeping your rhythm when they launch into fever, just watch the blinking borders along the edge of the screen to help you keep time. It helps to tap your foot along with the blinking border as well to maintain time amidst all of the shouts and noises.

Just wanted to drop a line that I am experiencing no input lag issues with gameplay. I'm playing on a PS4 Pro, with an older Samsung 1080p LCD w/ game mode on. I did end up switching to headphones to better hear the beat and I'm sure that helped but I wasn't doing awful before that. Another tip if you're playing with the newer DS4 models is to enable the direct connection in the devices menu so that you minimize input lag even more by disabling Bluetooth connectivity for the controller and relying on USB.

I wonder if reviewers reporting input lag were playing in an environment with lots of Bluetooth interference affecting the connection between PS4 and controller

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Played through the first stages just now and, uh... I'm not feeling any input lag problems at all.

How improved is this over the original?

I've been meaning to play Patapon anyway, but I kind of want to use ppsspp so I can play on my laptop. Plus, I already own the psp version (though I haven't played it).

MrBenchmark

Patapon timing is different than its sequel's they are easier more forgiving. Not seeing any lag here my son who has played this since he was 7 he's 17 and in heaven right now playing this said it feels great.

PlayIng on Vizio P series so very low input lag.

febLey

The video sequences are rough and I had a lot lag on my soundbar, but with headphones plugged into my controller it works great. Also the game is a lot of fun. Can't wait to get home, to play some more.

swimbuff

Just got this game, and after playing the first two levels in my experience there's an almost imperceptible amount of input lag. It's impossible to maintain fever mode if I press the button according to the beat. I found a workaround by leading the button presses (and the flashing screen) by a few microseconds but it's tough to maintain because the "feel" is just off.

I have access to the original game on PSP and have absolutely no trouble getting & maintaining fever there so it's definitely an issue present with playing the PS4 version. Whether it's a lag in my setup (PS4 Pro on LG B6 in Game mode) or if the lag is inherent to the game I can't tell. Judging by the posts in here, I suppose your mileage may vary.

It's disappointing as Patapon is one of my all time favourite games, hopefully it's something they can address in a patch. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else with a similar setup are also experiencing any lag issues.

Just got this game, and after playing the first two levels in my experience there's an almost imperceptible amount of input lag. It's impossible to maintain fever mode if I press the button according to the beat. I found a workaround by leading the button presses (and the flashing screen) by a few microseconds but it's tough to maintain because the "feel" is just off.

I have access to the original game on PSP and have absolutely no trouble getting & maintaining fever there so it's definitely an issue present with playing the PS4 version. Whether it's a lag in my setup (PS4 Pro on LG B6 in Game mode) or if the lag is inherent to the game I can't tell. Judging by the posts in here, I suppose your mileage may vary.

It's disappointing as Patapon is one of my all time favourite games, hopefully it's something they can address in a patch. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else with a similar setup are also experiencing any lag issues.
With what you describe as such a small amount of input lag possibly throwing you off, I wonder if it's not the distance from the screen and how long it takes the audio to hit your ears compared to playing on a portable that's much closer to you. I fucked up Fever way more before switching to headphones.

Top Bottom