• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Patapon Remastered |OT|

Poppyseed

Input lag would be terrible for this game. Hopefully it's just their displays and not the game itself.

Can confirm the game is unplayable on my new LG C7 OLED, which, with 21ms input lag, is one of the best displays around for gaming. $15 down the toilet.

Is there any way to earn the Spear of Protection in this version? It could only be earned in the original by finishing the demo and importing your save.

MrBenchmark

Can confirm the game is unplayable on my new LG C7 OLED, which, with 21ms input lag, is one of the best displays around for gaming. $15 down the toilet.

That is odd Vizio P55 18.5ms lag and game is perfect no problems playing.

People with noticable lag you sure there is no post processing option turned on your TV's

my son even tested switching between his Vita version and playing on the PS4 PRO.

swimbuff

After playing a bit more I've figured out my problem with the lag on PS4 vs no lag on PSP. The throw in the DS4 buttons is larger than in the PSP. Pressing the buttons casually on the PSP was fine to maintain Fever but doing the same on PS4 resulted in me missing the game's unforgiving sweet spot. However if I applied more force to the button presses on DS4 I was able to keep Fever going for much longer. I was unable to maintain it for the whole level (no such problems on PSP) so there's likely still something somewhere throwing me off ever so slightly. Hitting the buttons so hard does feel a bit unnatural but the game is very playable for me now.

With what you describe as such a small amount of input lag possibly throwing you off, I wonder if it's not the distance from the screen and how long it takes the audio to hit your ears compared to playing on a portable that's much closer to you. I fucked up Fever way more before switching to headphones.

I haven't tried headphones yet but I bet this would help by cutting out the HDMI audio lag. I have a set of headphones that connect via optical so will try this one next. Thanks for the suggestion, hopefully this will allow me to play without hitting the buttons so fast.

I haven't tried headphones yet but I bet this would help by cutting out the HDMI audio lag. I have a set of headphones that connect via optical so will try this one next. Thanks for the suggestion, hopefully this will allow me to play without hitting the buttons so fast.

Can confirm that headphones makes this title much more playable. I notice lag on my tv now but it's manageable. Headphones is much better tho.

Still wish this was on Vita where there would be minimal to no lag.

I have an LG as well. Not a sexy one like yours but there is a noticeable lag that makes it very difficult to play. I put...an embarrassing amount of time into Patapon 1 & 2. I was good at Patapon.

Even with my television in game mode; it all just feels wrong.

That and it won't fit entirely on my television which is 52".

Disappointing that they phoned this in and didn't bother with any settings options for the end user.

dan2026

Doesn't this game have an option to calibrate the lag and response times?

That seems utterly essential for a timing based rhythm game.

It doesn't. Has no settings whatsoever.

These Japan Studio ports (Parappa, Loco Roco, Patapon) have been disappointingly bare bones. Literally just upscaling the graphics and nothing else. Parappa is effectively unplayable, Patapon seems to be better, but could really benefit from some basic settings. Loco Roco seemed to survive the best and that's because it's really not rhythm based.

swimbuff

Can confirm that headphones makes this title much more playable. I notice lag on my tv now but it's manageable. Headphones is much better tho.

Still wish this was on Vita where there would be minimal to no lag.

Yep I tried with headphones and can easily keep the Fever going until the end of the level. It's not PSP-perfect since I'm not able to consistently get the early fever but the game is more than playable now.

So for folks with input lag issues I'd recommend adjusting your button presses or using headphones. Both methods worked for me.

Although with headphones on I can hear what people were talking about with the crappy audio. Never noticed that coming through on the TV.

What's the best (fastest) method to get hinoki (level 3 wood)? I got it once from the tree minigame, out of playing it like 15 times (and getting it perfectly each time).

I want those damn Tikulee archers.

Poppyseed

These Japan Studio ports (Parappa, Loco Roco, Patapon) have been disappointingly bare bones. Literally just upscaling the graphics and nothing else. Parappa is effectively unplayable, Patapon seems to be better, but could really benefit from some basic settings. Loco Roco seemed to survive the best and that's because it's really not rhythm based.

Parappa was a total joke due to input lag. Glad there was a demo because it was AWFUL.

Massive input lag with game mode on for my Samsung JS8500. Disappointed that there isn't a calibration tool in-game like the Rock Band games had...

So what does the Pon Pon Chaka Chaka command does exactly? Am I accumulating power for the next time I attack? If so, how does it work exactly? How many times can I do it before capping the cumulated power? Do I need to use the Pon Pon Pata Pon command immediately following Pon Pon Chaka Chaka?

LeeorV

Neo Member
So what does the Pon Pon Chaka Chaka command does exactly? Am I accumulating power for the next time I attack? If so, how does it work exactly? How many times can I do it before capping the cumulated power? Do I need to use the Pon Pon Pata Pon command immediately following Pon Pon Chaka Chaka?

for some classes (among them: Yumi, Mega, Yari?) it gives the next attack the same properties as a fever mode. for others (Deka and Tate for sure, not sure about Kiba) it makes them perform a special attack if you attack after charging (dash + uppercut attack for tate, dash + ground pound attack for Deka).

I think Kiba's dash forward after charging is stronger and longer, but I'm not sure.

Some classes (Mega and Tate for sure) also attack while retreating to the chrage position.

Would flame bows be better than piercing bows for bosses? They have a slightly lower base damage, but I'm wondering if they can set the boss on fire and deal additional damage this way. I'm not sure if they can do that. Can anyone confirms?

for some classes (among them: Yumi, Mega, Yari?) it gives the next attack the same properties as a fever mode. for others (Deka and Tate for sure, not sure about Kiba) it makes them perform a special attack if you attack after charging (dash + uppercut attack for tate, dash + ground pound attack for Deka).

I think Kiba's dash forward after charging is stronger and longer, but I'm not sure.

Some classes (Mega and Tate for sure) also attack while retreating to the chrage position.

Thanks

Most things can be set on fire, including bosses.

The downside to them is that they can also light grass, which in turn can burn your friendlies as well.

Pon Pon Chaka Chaka can also strengthen your next Chaka Chaka Pata Pon. The song doesn't stack, so you only need to do it once before Attack or Defend.

Thanks

If I order Pon Pon Chaka Chaka, followed by Pata Pata Pata Pon, does it cancel the charge? In other words: do I have to follow Pon Pon Chaka Chaka with Pon Pon Pata Pon for the charge to be applied to my attack?

Also, does rain prevent units from catching fire?

Beat the game yesterday!

What a game. It's really fantastic, and man do I wish Sony would remaster the second game!

Though I have to say the plant bosses are badly designed. I got to the level 5 version of the optional one of the two, and died like seven times in a row. He keeps killing my flag bearer, and there's nothing I can do about it. The issue is mainly the part where when you interrupt his animations with a stagger, his releases some sleep gas. I can't evade that because it's random; it cannot be anticipated. So he does that, then jumps on my troops, killing them one-shot, and eventually he does that to my flag bearer, because as far as I know, I cannot order him to back off.

Keym

Beat the game yesterday!

What a game. It's really fantastic, and man do I wish Sony would remaster the second game!

Though I have to say the plant bosses are badly designed. I got to the level 5 version of the optional one of the two, and died like seven times in a row. He keeps killing my flag bearer, and there's nothing I can do about it. The issue is mainly the part where when you interrupt his animations with a stagger, his releases some sleep gas. I can't evade that because it's random; it cannot be anticipated. So he does that, then jumps on my troops, killing them one-shot, and eventually he does that to my flag bearer, because as far as I know, I cannot order him to back off.

Not only that, the sleeping gas does plenty of damage as well. I don't remember if it's more manageable in the second game...

That reminds me how I got to optional Plant boss in original at level 30+ that killed everyone but one archer.

That was 50 something minutes there.

Not only that, the sleeping gas does plenty of damage as well. I don't remember if it's more manageable in the second game...

Patapon 2 boss levels scale a lot slower, maybe 1/5 as slow. I don't remember the damage of the gas being an issue. The second game gives you a lot more tools to deal with enemies.

Top Bottom