• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile Beta Thread: There Is No Sanctuary in Wraeclast

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Btw., questions to the more advanced players - is this Ice/Lightning Witch build viable or should I focus on 1 element? I'm kind of afraid of enemies which are immune to 1 elements, since I wouldn't be able to do anything if I'd focused on it.

OK... so I should have said... LOOT TIMER. To stop Hoovers from scooping them all up before you know they've even dropped. Interesting to see reactions and instant thoughts though.

OK... so I should have said... LOOT TIMER. To stop Hoovers from scooping them all up before you know they've even dropped. Interesting to see reactions and instant thoughts though.
There should be options to set loot distribution(don't know, still downloading the game).

But yeah...fuck cooldowns.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
No, PoE also runs everything server side and even double checks collision and hits, so You dont have desync situations like in D3.

Really? I thought I read a while back that you could play alone without a connection, but I guess I must have dreamt that then. Or it was another game in the genre. Pretty impressive if it's running smoothly then, although I guess most people are still downloading rather than playing (and the patch servers are separate, right?).

spirity

Wacthing Kripp's stream while I d/l the update. Someone just offered him a 14% power siphon. Do people just give him their best gear or something?

Skab

It's probably worth pointing out that you dont lose hardcore characters in this when they die. They just get turned into a normal character.

garath

1.53gig patch. Wow. It's moving along though. I might actually get to jump in tonight.

Ranger solo - probably split arrow or something, EK shadow co-op with my friend. Should be fun.

TheFatOne

Was all set up to play with some buddies of mine, but for whatever reason my friend had to redownload the patch. Now we are stuck just waiting for it to finish downloading. Really sucks.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
ipUagDkwVRfvV.png

That's more like it!

Scythian

Starting with my Ranger, I'm unsure if I should just go with it and not really worry all that much about the skills tree, or if I should instead search for a build and follow it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Starting with my Ranger, I'm unsure if I should just go with it and not really worry all that much about the skills tree, or if I should instead search for a build and follow it.

While I have looked a bit at the tree and thought about some possible ways to go (gonna start with a Templar), I personally think it sounds pretty boring to plan the whole build out in advance and then just follow that path. Much more fun to experiment a bit along the way and just do what feels right, at least in the beginning. Then when you've gotten to know the game and what works and what doesn't, and you want to make as good a build as possible, you'll probably want to plan it out better in advance. But I won't be doing that with my first character.

oktarb

Personally I think exploring and learning mostly on my own and then fine tuning is way more fun. Just following a build may be more efficient but then you're just a cookie cutter. Who knows maybe you'll uncover a lethal mix while everyone else clone builds.

D3 was fail because it came from biggest MMORPG company which known that there will be several milion people playing game in first week and since they included always online bullshit they should have known that they will need a lot of server power.

GGG is adding NOW more servers.

You think they didn't know they'd need a lot of server power? They did know, prepared, and were still overwhelmed temporarily. That tells me more about the massive sales of the game than Blizzard employees being unprepared or unprofessional. Your argument makes no sense and sounds more like the screed of a bitter fanboy.

D3 was the biggest PC release of 2012, and one of the biggest releases of the entire year across all media. I was there on launch day, I got delayed alongside tons of other people...yet eventually managed to get in and play that night. What do you expect, nothing to go wrong ever?

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
No idea how to skill at all, just sitting looking at the tree and feeling overwhelmed.

oktarb

Naming is also a chore. Only one word and a ton seem to be taken or invalid. I tend to spend a good deal or effort on names as they wrap my character in flavor. Spaces would be nice.

leaf_

I was only hoping they would make a new prettier and more readable map and get rid of the white "doors"... maybe for the launch god knows when =\

Card Boy

Banned
No idea how to skill at all, just sitting looking at the tree and feeling overwhelmed.

I suggest for the first couple of characters you make go to the forums and pick a couple interesting builds people made even if they give you an idea or you can tweak it abit.

JWong

Banned

It's easy. Look at the Keystones (bigger nodes) and see what you want.
Pick some keystones, plan your way there while picking up good stuff along the way.

That's all there is to it. Once you figure out what's good for your build, the smaller nodes can become important, so you start over and rebuild the character again.

Nice, that's better than me.

r9zHCix.jpg

Not throttled anymore.

cHtEpHq.jpg

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Can I play this game with just a mouse? I ask because I got wrist surgery and can't use my left hand atm.

Get a Razer Naga and it'll make life a lot easier. I go with esc on key 11, backspace on 12 and space on one of the smaller index finger keys.

Ricker

I was only hoping they would make a new prettier and more readable map and get rid of the white "doors"... maybe for the launch god knows when =\

It really helps if you mini map it on the right corner though but yeah,the map is kinda weak and I agree on the white doors but that's minor...

Elixist

Pick some keystones, plan your way there while picking up good stuff along the way.

That's all there is to it. Once you figure out what's good for your build, the smaller nodes can become important, so you start over and rebuild the character again.

Not throttled anymore.

cHtEpHq.jpg

same im gettin da speeds now yay.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Not throttled anymore.

cHtEpHq.jpg

same im gettin da speeds now yay.

Damn, how are you doing that? Where are you? I'm still getting absolutely pathetic speeds, it very rarely gets over 100 KB/s (and often drops down below 10 KB/s for a second or two). I've tried restarting the download, hoping to maybe connect to a better server, but it never gets any better.

Diablo 4 is gonna be out before this download completes.

I am totally going to get myself killed at this rate, damn my obsessiveness over getting my skills just right. have like 10 points saved up already.

oktarb

Yawn, never have I been this bored downloading a 1.5gb patch at 10kbs.

definitely seems odd. I downloaded the patch this afternoon and was done in like 10 minutes. Based out of San Francisco. I feel your pain (but not really).

Top Bottom