• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

Procarbine

Forever Platinum

A few things to add:

You need to fix your cast when damage taken set up. That gem isnt supposed to go past lvl 2, maybe 3, as is it won't trigger often enough to be relevant. You are going to have to drop the level of the linked gems accordingly so they can be triggered, at level 2 cwdt you can only triggers skills requiring level 40 and under.

Second, get out of vaal pact and ghost reaver for now and go into life. You can swap back to CI later on if you want but it is much less beginner friendly than life. Pick up +max health on your new gear. This will also free you up from running discipline and you can take more damage with hatred for clearing. I'd suggest switching to grace if you have trouble staying alive.

Finally, try to get a faster attacks in with your shield charge and fort.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
ryYCBbg.jpg

M2sS7dI.png

Raide

Recently got back into PoE. I like the cast when channeling support gems, adds some interesting variation to skills. Need to find some fun stuff. I also like the gems to use curses amd auras. Very nice addition that I need to play with more.

Nice to have access to all the gems later on in act 4. I think my biggest issue it not getting into trading.

I start with a certain build, get to 40s and then seem to loose my way. Keeping track on what stats I need to update can be very frustrating.

Starting making an earthquake build and have it hit fast.

Haly

Died on uber lab at 5% health or so feels bad man.

Recently got back into PoE. I like the cast when channeling support gems, adds some interesting variation to skills. Need to find some fun stuff. I also like the gems to use curses amd auras. Very nice addition that I need to play with more.

Nice to have access to all the gems later on in act 4. I think my biggest issue it not getting into trading.

I start with a certain build, get to 40s and then seem to loose my way. Keeping track on what stats I need to update can be very frustrating.

Starting making an earthquake build and have it hit fast.

I got an EQ build to 80, then got bored with it started something else. Once I got a 5L Marohi the build started to shine. It was pretty fun.

Anyone have tips for farming currency? What to look for?

About to reach the level to start doing maps for the first time.

Loots filters are nice to help you reduce clutter on screen and only get items with good bases. Another thing to get good at making currency is knowing what flavor of the month builds are and sell items that work for those builds.

I make most of my currency in the first couple weeks of leagues as sales for me usually start to taper off somewhat as the leagues go on, especially in standard. You'll can get a pretty decent amount of currency from flipping currency in town if you have the patience for that or using currency.poe.trade at certain times when conversions are high so that you can still grind maps.

You'll still be able to sell in demand uniques for pretty good prices.

Finally unlinked my Steam and PoE account. I think it takes less room (standalone client is 8GB) and launches faster.

Stand alone is much smoother than steam as it doesn't have to spend so much time updating/validating. Steam sometimes takes almost 10 minutes on certain patches just to update the game files.

Volodja

Lost my hardcore Righteous Fire Marauder at level 58 to a badly placed Breach that hit me with a huge damage spike in combo with distraction.
So close to getting it up and running properly, just 7 levels from Rise of the Phoenix.

Oh well, goodbye to him.

squidyj

Finally unlinked my Steam and PoE account. I think it takes less room (standalone client is 8GB) and launches faster.

just so people don't get the wrong idea, you don't need to unlink to use standalone as long as you actually have login credentials.
If you started from Steam you might need to get some of those.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I've gone through 10ex worth of fusings trying to 6 link my Belly of the Beast armour and nothing to show for it... not sure if I should quit or cry lol

bro i did the same thing in perandus and ended up rage quitting the season

take it from me (and your own experience i guess lol) and just buy the 6-link. i bought a 6-link belly for 7ex this season, had fun with the char, sold it a week later for 7ex and then bought a 4ex 6-link for my next character

yeah yeah some people will always get that 6-link in 100-200 fusings and zoMG they saved so much money, but the soul crushing experience of just watching all of your currency go into the nether with nothing to show for it is just too big of a risk

fuck that noise

So I just started to play this game recently, made several characters and ended up sticking with the ranger, since it's easier for me to control at the moment and just entered Act 3 (no controller support or WASD kind of kills me a lot when trying to use melee characters)

Anyway, I think I know what I'm doing, but not really, obviously it's my first play through but I feel like I shouldn't be playing in the default game mode, I should really be in that middle choice?

Also, I've gotten legendaries for every class but the one I'm currently playing (ranger) so that feels weird too but I plan on going back and leveling up those classes as well.

So is there a GAF guild?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So is there a Diablo 2->PoE guide out there? Curious to know the economy, as I could never wrap my head around PoE's item economy.

So is there a Diablo 2->PoE guide out there? Curious to know the economy, as I could never wrap my head around PoE's item economy.

PoE.trade and the currency marker is how I learned, then just by playing the game.

I started playing in breach too by the way.

Exalted orbs and chaos orbs are the main forms of currency.

Other than that I don't know much. If I think an item might be worth something good I either search for it in PoE.trade to see comparable ones, or post it to global chat and get a PC.

There's some guides on youtube that will better explain the economy and trading. ZiggyD had a series on it. LiftingNerdBro, Pohx, and many other popular streamers have videos as well.

Most thing sell in chaos and exalts. But fusing are valuable as well.

Pretty much all currency can be converted into chaos and exalts through trades. You can also sell maps/breachstones (this league) for currency too.

There's a lot to learn so I'd recommend you watch those videos and if you have any more questions ask one of us here to help you out.

I make a lot of my currency trading up and on quick sales the first week of leagues.

squidyj

So I just started to play this game recently, made several characters and ended up sticking with the ranger, since it's easier for me to control at the moment and just entered Act 3 (no controller support or WASD kind of kills me a lot when trying to use melee characters)

Anyway, I think I know what I'm doing, but not really, obviously it's my first play through but I feel like I shouldn't be playing in the default game mode, I should really be in that middle choice?

Also, I've gotten legendaries for every class but the one I'm currently playing (ranger) so that feels weird too but I plan on going back and leveling up those classes as well.

So is there a GAF guild?

default game mode? do you mean standard?
the way PoE works is they run temporary leagues for a few months with each league having some special feature that at the end of it may or may not be somehow incorporated back into the base game.

Right now they have the Breach League going on and as you play you'll see these hands and if you walk over them they open up into expanding circles and enemies start pouring in from another dimension, kill them for exp and loot and you get breach shards which can be used at endgame to go to these dimensions and kill the different breach bosses.

Every league has a regular and hardcore mode, if a character dies in a hardcore league they are ejected.

Standard and hardcore are the permanent 'modes' but I think most players prefer to play on leagues like Breach because everyone gets to start out together and there hasn't been money pouring into it for forever

Dahbomb

Can a Lightning Arrow/Tornado Shot build beat the Guardians/Shaper solo?

I feel like I do damage but I have very little survivability. Up to lvl90 just recently beat Uber Lab. Around 4k HP, lots of evasion. DPS isn't an issue especially for mobs, some bosses I struggle with. Upto around map 12-13.

Mostly need advice on how to tank up. I did all the prophecies for Deadly Rivalry and got a Kintsugi armor to drop, that seems pretty good for survivability? Is that worth 6 linking?

Can a Lightning Arrow/Tornado Shot build beat the Guardians/Shaper solo?

I feel like I do damage but I have very little survivability. Up to lvl90 just recently beat Uber Lab. Around 4k HP, lots of evasion. DPS isn't an issue especially for mobs, some bosses I struggle with. Upto around map 12-13.

Mostly need advice on how to tank up. I did all the prophecies for Deadly Rivalry and got a Kintsugi armor to drop, that seems pretty good for survivability? Is that worth 6 linking?

It can do it. Depends on your build though. I know a few tornado shot/LA builds that do it usually use Kaoms for tankiness.

Dahbomb

It can do it. Depends on your build though. I know a few tornado shot/LA builds that do it usually use Kaoms for tankiness.
Ah good old Kaom's Heart. That's workable with Tornado Shot because you don't need a separate single target damage source like with Lightning Arrow. Will try to get one of those.

What's a good bow for these builds? I am currently using Death's Opus but I see people recommend Reach of Council for Tornado Shot. Also running Drillneck.

Ah good old Kaom's Heart. That's workable with Tornado Shot because you don't need a separate single target damage source like with Lightning Arrow. Will try to get one of those.

What's a good bow for these builds? I am currently using Death's Opus but I see people recommend Reach of Council for Tornado Shot. Also running Drillneck.

You can go Voltaxic Rift route as well. Reach is usually recommended or you can just got a a high phys crit bow. It can get very costly though so be warned.

Pheeeew, level 87.6 (first time above 85, ever). I'm really starting to hit the grind it seems, I have 57 Atlas bonus and I'm stuck somewhere around T7-8 as I just can't seem to get higher tier maps to drop. I occasionally get T9 or T10 but after 10 or so of those I had to drop down to T7-8. I'm doing exclusively yellow maps (or uniques if those drop).

I'm starting to understand why people obsess about "clear speed" of builds.

Also, tried a boss of a new map. Died. Regretted it instantly as losing 10% of level hurts now, completely nullifies the map clear.

Pheeeew, level 87.6 (first time above 85, ever). I'm really starting to hit the grind it seems, I have 57 Atlas bonus and I'm stuck somewhere around T7-8 as I just can't seem to get higher tier maps to drop. I occasionally get T9 or T10 but after 10 or so of those I had to drop down to T7-8. I'm doing exclusively yellow maps (or uniques if those drop).

I'm starting to understand why people obsess about "clear speed" of builds.

Also, tried a boss of a new map. Died. Regretted it instantly as losing 10% of level hurts now, completely nullifies the map clear.

I just hit 88 and I definitely feel you. I want to hit 90 for the first time. When I'm focused on leveling, this is what I do:

- Run maps a tier or two below your best maps
- Run safe mods
- Do not trigger essence mobs
- Do not trigger breaches
- Do not engage bosses unless they're cake

You should average a map per run, so you shouldn't be draining your pool. In case you are, it's not the maps you don't want to lose. Your focus is xp and clear speed, nothing else. Save your chisels for real maps. It's XP time

I came up with a name for it, DC folks would appreciate this: Project SafeMap

Small fun update on trying to 6 link my Belly of the Beast... I'm over 2300 fusings now in about 2 week of trying haha. Think I'm gonna take a break and go do the Diablo 3 journey and then come back and try again. Really bad luck for me this league it seems.

Orgun

Small fun update on trying to 6 link my Belly of the Beast... I'm over 2300 fusings now in about 2 week of trying haha. Think I'm gonna take a break and go do the Diablo 3 journey and then come back and try again. Really bad luck for me this league it seems.

Would it not be easier to level up Vorici and use the artisan bench to create the 6 links? (i can't remember what level he needs to be and the cost though)

Yea but he costs 1500 I think to 6 link? I didn't have so many fusing at once. I just try every time I have a few hundred or I buy a few hundred and try. You always think you can't be that unlucky and just try and hope you get it in a few hundred fusing haha

Should have bought one you 7-8 ex pure. Would have been easier especially this far into the league with exalt prices lowest they've been in a while.

Think you can get then for 58-60 depending.

Should have bought one you 7-8 ex pure. Would have been easier especially this far into the league with exalt prices lowest they've been in a while.

They dropped that far? I got a couple of ex drops early in the league and sold them both for 75c.

They dropped that far? I got a couple of ex drops early in the league and sold them both for 75c.

Yeah they tanked this past week. I didn't play much during the last couple weeks because of the new year and hopped on this weekend and saw how far it dropped. Was surprised honestly but I can't complain since it's better for the other 99% of players. I am hoping for the days of 35-40c exalts once again. LOL

I just hit 88 and I definitely feel you. I want to hit 90 for the first time. When I'm focused on leveling, this is what I do:

- Run maps a tier or two below your best maps
- Run safe mods
- Do not trigger essence mobs
- Do not trigger breaches
- Do not engage bosses unless they're cake

You should average a map per run, so you shouldn't be draining your pool. In case you are, it's not the maps you don't want to lose. Your focus is xp and clear speed, nothing else. Save your chisels for real maps. It's XP time

I came up with a name for it, DC folks would appreciate this: Project SafeMap

I was already doing most of those, but then I get a map I have never ran before (like, ever in any league on any character), I try it, boss kills me :)

I can handle essence monsters 100% of the time. I can easily take triple-essence monsters that I have used corrupted essence on to upgrade. I haven't met 4-essence monsters yet. But breaches, I really don't know how you are supposed to survive them. I have CI + 9.5k ES + all resists max and I have died literally in less than 2 seconds when standing inside a breach. 9.5K ES gone faster than I can snap my fingers. Heck, I have trouble staying alive even if I run outside breach radius so that it's barely visible. I guess SRS is not a very good choice for this league since I can't even touch the league core mechanic.

Yea I will next time for sure. I started trying when it was around 1:72 ex to chaos and 1:2 chaos to fusings lol, can't give up now!

Zynx

That sunken cost fallacy.

It's too bad that 6L's make so much of a difference nowadays since there's a lot more useful support gems. Almost a guaranteed 1.3x multiplier on each link, or more.

Haly

6L'd my Cospris Will but too lazy to colour it to RRRRGB
mayatomr_qwe.gif
crazy.gif
mayatomr_qwe.gif

Rufus

Regal. Hitting one good mod is hard enough, hitting two is much, much harder. There's a good chance that you'll hit a shitty suffix that you can wipe, regal again, etc.

Top Bottom