• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile |OT| Loot 3.0

Dahbomb

A new league with all the other previous league mechanics is about to start so right now is the perfect time to come back.

Edit: here's a good summary of what you can expect in legacy league. The channel also has other useful begginer guides: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1MXrIYaLys
Yeah as someone who missed out on a good chunk of the Leagues, this was a very helpful guide.

Just picked this back up for the first time in like 3 years lol.

I have a legacy face breakers character going (968%) at level 50 but I decided to start fresh to familiarize myself with the game again and holy shit this game got so much better than I remember it being.

I picked witch because I wanted to focus on spells and I think I found my new obsession in act 3, flameblast!

I linked it with every support spell I could find and this thing is just hilarious fun.

Any of you guys have any recommendations to a returning player on some if the newer mechanics? The last time I played was when they added scions.
You are in a similar boat as me. They expanded the end game system a lot, game is a lot faster now at high levels. Hell you played before even the class Ascendancy were out so you missed a ton.

Luckily this new League will catch you up with everything you missed. It's all the old content remixed together including returning uniques.

Dahbomb

Alright so now that most of the cards are on the table... what's going to be good or better in PoE?

I was going to run Earthquake Slayer but then saw the AOE and EQ nerfs, decided against it.

I am liking those Freeze Pulse jewels so starting out I will be playing Freezing Pulse Inquisitor and then make a Facebreaker Ancestral Warchief character hoping for Legacy Facebreakers.

If by some miracle I happen to come across legacy Bringer of Rain then I might try a build with that. That has always been my favorite item in PoE... that flavor is just godlike.

I was also interested in a full physical converted Ice Shot Pathfinder build but Life still sucks and is hard to get and I am still concerned about the single target damage of Ice Shot. a .

So what's everyone planning on running tomorrow?

I took a ~2 month break so if anyone wants an invite to the GAF guild let me know and I'll send invites.

inky

I'd like an invite pls. You only need a character name right? If so, BlazingSword should do it for me.

And still no idea what I'm running. I'm thinking maybe a Storm Call Hierophant or a Bladefall Totem Scion. Just to start acquiring some currency and farming maps, not actually the main character I want to play. That would probably be a Life based EA Pathfinder, but we'll see.

Alright so now that most of the cards are on the table... what's going to be good or better in PoE?

I feel like there will be a lot more unique item based builds. But there are way too many uniques for me to comprehend the next trend.

I'm guessing we should look at threshold gems that are being improved & introduced. The golem gems for example enabled a whole new build when they were introduced.

So what's everyone planning on running tomorrow?

I'm obsessed with summoner builds so I'll of course be one. SRS as first char, for leveling & mapping start, then see if I want to switch to something else. Golemancer? Spectres? Perhaps dabble in the brand new zombie gem?

Also I want to try storm call witch at some point in the league. Not because it's getting anything exciting, but because I started using Path of Building recently and it's an amazing tool. I figured out how to triple the dps of my old storm call witch. Mostly because I could finally calculate potential dps increase or decrease caused by different gems, uniques and spell crit %.

Sent the invite.

I feel like there will be a lot more unique item based builds. But there are way too many uniques for me to comprehend the next trend.

I'm guessing we should look at threshold gems that are being improved & introduced. The golem gems for example enabled a whole new build when they were introduced.

I'm obsessed with summoner builds so I'll of course be one. SRS as first char, for leveling & mapping start, then see if I want to switch to something else. Golemancer? Spectres? Perhaps dabble in the brand new zombie gem?

Also I want to try storm call witch at some point in the league. Not because it's getting anything exciting, but because I started using Path of Building recently and it's an amazing tool. I figured out how to triple the dps of my old storm call witch. Mostly because I could finally calculate potential dps increase or decrease caused by different gems, uniques and spell crit %.

Good to see another summoner player. I ran summoner as a first or second build in 90% of the leagues myself. Didn't run one in the last 2 leagues but might go back to it depending on how the new gem looks.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
D1 meta guesses: Claw nodes HOWA ST, Threshold Molten Strike, Vaal Spark (lol)

Me:
Terminus Est Flicker (Raider? Assassin?)
Touch of Anguish Raider Frost Blades
Some sort of Slayer Ice Crash thing

I've been meaning to run a Vaal Spark build for the last couple years. Might actually get around to it. I lost some interest when they nerfed spark a few leagues back but might just give it a go.

Dahbomb

Molten Strike gonna be top tier? That's going to be interesting.

HOWA based builds still going to be among the best. Ancestral Warchief will still do lots of physical damage. Vaal Spark will still turbo clear maps. Cospri Discharge will still mess up your PC.

But there's a lot more potential because not only are we getting new threshold gems and uniques but various older uniques through leagues AND various buffed uniques. It's impossible to theory craft with any degree of accuracy with all these new variables being thrown in.

Also no more using Warlord Mark for leeches, thank god. Among the best changes in the skill tree.

Still going to go Jugg Eq but I might transition into Slayer Eq once I get gear and Kaom boots.

Alot of good stuff in this patch including Immortal Flesh, which seems ridiculous now.

Might finally try the poison/rapid decay variant and see how that goes.

Haly

Ngamahu Flame was already meme tier in 2.5, with the threshold jewel it'll be really crazy.

Ngamahu Flame was already meme tier in 2.5, with the threshold jewel it'll be really crazy.

I don't know if it'll actually affect molten burst on ngamahu.

Also, while the threshold jewel is pretty damn good, i think the aoe increase can be a little iffy since it also increases the spread of where the balls can land. Though with aoe scaling changes and diminishing returns it'll probably be op as fuck.

tariniel

I recently got Grim Dawn on a sale. The only thing it did was make me want to play Path of Exile again, in my opinion it doesn't even compare and I found it very boring. Can't wait for this huge patch in a few months!

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I've never had a character past like act 3, and every time a big new patch comes out I think it would be fun to start up but I get overwhelmed by having no idea what kind of build to do and not wanting to start with something shitty since respeccing is a hassle.

Haly

I've never had a character past like act 3, and every time a big new patch comes out I think it would be fun to start up but I get overwhelmed by having no idea what kind of build to do and not wanting to start with something shitty since respeccing is a hassle.

The name of the game is rerolling over and over again so it's natural to say "aw fuck it I'll roll something else". But if you want some ez pz builds check out the second post of this thread: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1813551

Most of them will get you somewhere.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Pick a low budget starter build from the PoE forums and go from there.

As you gain more knowledge on the game you'll get to develop your own builds around uniques, skills, ascendancy class etc...

It's how I started.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
The name of the game is rerolling over and over again so it's natural to say "aw fuck it I'll roll something else". But if you want some ez pz builds check out the second post of this thread: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1813551

Most of them will get you somewhere.

Thanks, I'll check that out. At a glance, spectral throw looks fun but not entirely noob friendly?

Haly

Spectral Throw has some problems this league:

1) It was (one of) last league's meta builds and wasn't nerfed at all so a lot of players will probably rely on it day one

2) It uses two Breach uniques and while it was very affordable in the Breach league the prices for them might be prohibitive now even with Leagustones, it's hard to say at this point

If the claws are affordable however, I highly recommend you do HOWA ST. It'll easily take you to Shaper.

EDIT: Wait I'm not sure which one you're referring to now. Motem Morsu, Dreamfeather, or HOWA?

Anoregon

BTW Haly, I don't think I can look at any of the builds in the 2nd post of that thread because they require some offline skilltree and I'm at work (assuming it's a download?).

Cerity

poeurl is just getting hammered, not down :p

32k people in front of me. I haven't been this excited for a league start for awhile now.

Cerity

Unfortunately have to go deal with some irl stuff but pretty good start to the league. Picked up some fun blue leaguestones and picked up a primordial harmony jewel, which will hopefully give me a bit of early bank. About 2/3 of the way through A3N too.

Dahbomb

You can't save up the Leaguestones for end game, they have a monster zone restriction kinda like essences have item level restrictions. So might as well use them early to level up quicker or get some currency.

Rufus

Yeah, I was mindlessly ctrl+clicking them into my stash until act 3 when I finally took a closer look and saw that.

One thing I forgot to consider until I started using them is that you may have to clear zones much more thoroughly than usual to actually get a use out of them. I'm not going to bother taking them out before Battlefront and other such zones you never fully explore, but it's something to keep in mind.

inky

Cadiro, slow down bro, it's my first day.

pathofexilesteam2017-z8sju.png

Haly

Yeah, I was mindlessly ctrl+clicking them into my stash until act 3 when I finally took a closer look and saw that.

One thing I forgot to consider until I started using them is that you may have to clear zones much more thoroughly than usual to actually get a use out of them. I'm not going to bother taking them out before Battlefront and other such zones you never fully explore, but it's something to keep in mind.

I just dump them in. There's more than I can feasibly use before I leave the act for good so I might as well.

Except for Perandus/Breach. Those two are probably worth hunting.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Would like an invite to the gaf build. My PoE handle is error2k4.

edit: Flameblast is such an awesome skill.

Top Bottom