• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile Xbox Closed Beta Registrations Open

Keinning

How long is the beta?, got my code this morning, but am not going to be able to play for a few days.

three weeks iirc

Xbox runs games fine. It could be a Latency problem I'm in Aus.

Its like a slight pause every 5 seconds.

most likely it is. it's an online game after all. maybe you had something downloading in the background as well? that sucks though, hope it gets better. is there an australian server for it (it says in the upper right corner)? i know i'm playing on a São Paulo one which is kinda near so i'm not having issues

ooteeni

three weeks iirc

most likely it is. it's an online game after all. maybe you had something downloading in the background as well? that sucks though, hope it gets better. is there an australian server for it (it says in the upper right corner)? i know i'm playing on a São Paulo one which is kinda near so i'm not having issues

I didn't check the server location, I didn't notice, I'll try again later. I did enjoy what I played.

Is it me or do melee characters just feel weird? I feel like I'll walk up to an enemy and just keep on swinging and miss occasionally. On the other hand, the Archer and Witch feels great.

Raide

Is it me or do melee characters just feel weird? I feel like I'll walk up to an enemy and just keep on swinging and miss occasionally. On the other hand, the Archer and Witch feels great.
Early on accuracy is an issue. Some later abilities you pick from the tree basically make everything hit every time.

Realyn

As others have said it's accuracy. Get a jade amulet or the dex nodes near your start or resolute technique.

Kadin

So how does this game feel with a controller? Better than Diablo 3?
For me, it's not. Diablo 3 with a controller worked perfectly and the way they redesigned the UI to work with a controller is still the best implementation of an ARPG on a console imo. PoE plays fine with the combat but using the UI is way too clunky for me. I played the console version of D3 for a long time and stopped on PC. I've come to the realization that playing PoE on PC though is the far better option... for me.

I'm not following a build. I know I'm a horrible person! I just wanted to relive D2 Necromancer lol.
You're a braver man than I.

You don't get a lot of effectiveness out of most summoner skills aside from Summon Raging Spirit, unfortunately, unless you do some silly things with jewels that let you summon something like 40 skeletons linked to cast while channelling+wither.

New002

For me, it's not. Diablo 3 with a controller worked perfectly and the way they redesigned the UI to work with a controller is still the best implementation of an ARPG on a console imo. PoE plays fine with the combat but using the UI is way too clunky for me. I played the console version of D3 for a long time and stopped on PC. I've come to the realization that playing PoE on PC though is the far better option... for me.

^ I agree with all of this so far. For me, D3 on console became the preferred way to play the game and I switched over from PC. With Path, as it stands, I think PC is the better way to go if you're open to it.

Ricker

Works pretty good with a controller...I had a Marauder on PC so I decided to go with a Witch as my first chracter in the beta.It's super smooth and looks exactly,or even better then it does on my PC,which is the same I have for like 6 years now...really nice conversion I say...I do get some inventory lag quite often though,sometimes when I go in there,I only see the empty gems for example for a few seconds,until the rest pops in lol...if it keeps doing that,I will report it,but its probably a known issue.

So I just finished the SP campaign (lvl 40 something). Will the new content be accessible from the lvl I'm at or do you have to be a certain level?

Realyn

So I just finished the SP campaign (lvl 40 something). Will the new content be accessible from the lvl I'm at or do you have to be a certain level?
I'm confused. Are you talking about Act8? You should be a lot higher. Act 9 and 10 will follow that but won't be in the beta and everything will get wiped before official release.

Why is the game pausing every other second? Just started and it just kind of hitches constantly

Tried a restart and seems to be fixed. So far it's pretty fun. The only things I don't really like are that the interface is terrible for a controller. Picking up items is really frustrating

I'm confused. Are you talking about Act8? You should be a lot higher. Act 9 and 10 will follow that but won't be in the beta and everything will get wiped before official release.

Sorry wasn't talking about the beta. How many acts are in the current game that is available on steam right now? I think I got to act 3 and after beating the boss a portal opened at highgate that started the game over again on cruel difficulty and I had no more quests to speak of in that area unless I missed something. I'm reinstalling windows on a new pc so can't even re check to verify atm but i asked in the PoE chat and they told me that was all the content.

Sorry wasn't talking about the beta. How many acts are in the current game that is available on steam right now? I think I got to act 3 and after beating the boss a portal opened at highgate that started the game over again on cruel difficulty and I had no more quests to speak of in that area unless I missed something. I'm reinstalling windows on a new pc so can't even re check to verify atm but i asked in the PoE chat and they told me that was all the content.
That's the old game. You used to do 4 acts in 3 difficulties.

Now there's just 10 (?) acts you do once. They're updating the game in a big way on 8/4.

Krelian

So I just started the beta and what I have to criticize immediately is that there doesn't seem to be any subtitles. Now I don't actually need them but I prefer playing with subtitles enabled and this should be a deal breaker for hearing-impaired players. Is there really no way to enable subtitles or did I just miss the option somewhere?

Edit: Most in-game text isn't actually voiced it seems so it's not so bad. Still, some dialogues don't have that text box.

Oynox

Which character is the best to start? I know character creation is designed that anyone may be anything but well, to start off I guess there is an appropriate choice for beginners.

KKRT00

Which character is the best to start? I know character creation is designed that anyone may be anything but well, to start off I guess there is an appropriate choice for beginners.

Just think of character you would like to play and pick appropriate class for it.
There are archetypes that if you pick should be easy to build them for your needs.
Templar is STR + INT so mix of warrior and spellcaster.
Witch is spellcaster so pure INT
Assasin is DEX + INT so mix of spellcaster and dex based character (bows, daggers)
Ranger is pure DEX based character
Duelist is DEX and STR, so for example swords, dual swords
Marauder is pure STR, so two handed weapons, tanks etc

Novocaine

Seems to run pretty well but I have trouble reading a lot of the text. I hope they "console-ize" it a bit more before the launch.

Raide

Each starting class has a spot in the tree and this tends to focus around how you could build. Following a path will lead to points that help your class. After that, you can start with any class and build them to be any other if you path the tree correctly. Therein lies the depth of PoE.

Beginner class? Ranged attack classes probably. Archer being a solid start. Mostly down to what skills you pick.

Agree. Combat feels fine except for target based skills like totems imo, the smart placement sometimes is...not so smart and places the totems in awkward places. In situations where it gets crucial and exact placement is needed it may get difficult.

Looting needs improvement. Its very hard too loot specific items if you have multiple items on the ground. I can only imagine its quite a mess if you have 10+ drops on higher levels. People will rage hard if loot allocation is set to FFA and an exalted drops haha...

Could imagine something like you can switch to a special loot mode where you can cycle through the items laying on the ground.

But its only beta, if theres one developer I trust to improve on these aspects its GGG....

Raide

Agree. Combat feels fine except for target based skills like totems imo, the smart placement sometimes is...not so smart and places the totems in awkward places. In situations where it gets crucial and exact placement is needed it may get difficult.

Looting needs improvement. Its very hard too loot specific items if you have multiple items on the ground. I can only imagine its quite a mess if you have 10+ drops on higher levels. People will rage hard if loot allocation is set to FFA and an exalted drops haha...

Could imagine something like you can switch to a special loot mode where you can cycle through the items laying on the ground.

But its only beta, if theres one developer I trust to improve on these aspects its GGG....

They added loot filters in the PC version which made it way easier to filer out crap loot and focus around what you want. Not had chance to jump into Xbox beta yet, so I am not sure if they also have it.

They added loot filters in the PC version which made it way easier to filer out crap loot and focus around what you want. Not had chance to jump into Xbox beta yet, so I am not sure if they also have it.

I know and theres nothing like that so far.

Twrs

Neo Member

You can move the right stick up or down to cycle through the loot on the ground. It could be better, but it works for me.

Raide

I know and theres nothing like that so far.
There seems to be some kind of loot filter with highlights etc but it needs something done.

Just hit lvl 9. Feels OK so far. Some control tweaks etc would be great. Messing around with items on the floor is crazy when you have to right stick around what you want.

Doikor

There seems to be some kind of loot filter with highlights etc but it needs something done.

Just hit lvl 9. Feels OK so far. Some control tweaks etc would be great. Messing around with items on the floor is crazy when you have to right stick around what you want.

That is kinda important. The endgame (speed meta in maps) is pretty much unplayable without a good loot filter.

Yea people shouldn't be put off about a wipe. The real meat and potatoes of this game is in the leagues. New league every 2-3 months with a clean slate.

Why is the game pausing every other second? Just started and it just kind of hitches constantly

Tried a restart and seems to be fixed. So far it's pretty fun. The only things I don't really like are that the interface is terrible for a controller. Picking up items is really frustrating

Just started and had the same hitching, guess I'll restart..

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Holy shit, what an addictive game. I can't wait to put in some time tonight.

Cartho

Is there a way to expand your inventory? It feels stupidly small at the start.

I like the depth of customisation on offer, feels much more like an RPG than Diablo 3. BUT.... the actual feel and flow of the combat is miles worse in my opinion. Looting is awful on console and it just feels very hard to compare different items. The so letting system is so slow and cumbersome with a controller.

Diablo 3 is wildly superior as a console action RPG at the moment in my view as it feels like they really tailored it for the control system. PoE feels like they just did a pretty quick and dirty control port.

Top Bottom