• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile Xbox Closed Beta Registrations Open

Keinning

Does the X1 version have loot filters, or are they planning to have loot filters?

The amount of pure, not even worth looking at garbage loot in this game is ridiculous from level 30-40 onwards.

It's already kinda overwhelming since the start
I just ignore most stuff and just get magic items

Some people going to piss themselves when they see the grid

I really don't understand why people are so intimidated with the web. It's actually not that bad. It takes a few minutes to understand, but it is fundamentally no different from a branching skill tree that also includes stat allocation. It took me like 5 minutes to figure it out.

Keinning

I really don't understand why people are so intimidated with the web. It's actually not that bad. It takes a few minutes to understand, but it is fundamentally no different from a branching skill tree that also includes stat allocation. It took me like 5 minutes to figure it out.

yeah when people told me and i saw the skill tree i thought "holy shit all of them have several levels to upgrade and synergies and the big circles add new stuff?"

but then they're mostly straightforward and many of them are simple stat upgrades

Raide

Does the combat and general gameplay feel as satisfying as Diablo 3 on consoles?

Not really no. Poetry gets interesting ages down the line when you have loads of skills and gems to make some of the basic skills way more interesting. The majority of the time you still to the same few boring leveling skills until you get what you really want.

Tomeru

Its done pretty good actually. Still, moving through inventory is not done as well as d3 (its slower and cumbersome compared). Still, its great fun to play with a controller!

My biggest gripe though is movement. Its tiles based, I think? As in you can move freely in any direction, but your exile will have to finish the move animation to stop. So if you press in a direction and let go of te stick, the exile will stop only after it completed the animation of running.

I hope explaining it twice is enough, lol.

Keinning

Not really no. Poetry gets interesting ages down the line when you have loads of skills and gems to make some of the basic skills way more interesting. The majority of the time you still to the same few boring leveling skills until you get what you really want.

first skill i found (outside of the freebie from the tutorial) was an ice throwing dagger that splits into several others and hit things in an area

i'm more satisfied with it than with the entire skillset for the crusader in D3

Raide

first skill i found (outside of the freebie from the tutorial) was an ice throwing dagger that splits into several others and hit things in an area

Sorry, I should have prefaced my post with "IMO". Unless they have changed something for the Xbox version, it will still boil down to find a skill that works and scales well for 30+ levels until you get some more interesting skill gems and start working towards a viable build.

Keinning

Sorry, I should have prefaced my post with "IMO". Unless they have changed something for the Xbox version, it will still boil down to find a skill that works and scales well for 30+ levels until you get some more interesting skill gems and start working towards a viable build.

I mean, it's my opinion as well. I just started the game - i might end up bored with it too. But so far, it captured me better than D3 did. The punches just feel more meaningful i guess.

In all fairness the crusader skills are pretty crap lol

Hawk269

Codes seem to be easily obtained. I saw this thread this morning at around 7:30am Mountain time and had an email at 4:00pm with a code. So if you need a code, make sure to sign up since they are processing request fairly quickly.

arhra

Its done pretty good actually. Still, moving through inventory is not done as well as d3 (its slower and cumbersome compared). Still, its great fun to play with a controller!

My biggest gripe though is movement. Its tiles based, I think? As in you can move freely in any direction, but your exile will have to finish the move animation to stop. So if you press in a direction and let go of te stick, the exile will stop only after it completed the animation of running.

I hope explaining it twice is enough, lol.

The movement to me almost feels like they've hacked stick-based movement into their engine via some kind of virtual mouse cursor clicking a fixed distance away from the character's feet in the direction the stick is pushed. There's no analogue movement at all, and you always move at least a certain fixed distance, but you seem to be able to change direction at any time.

I'm not finding it to be a major issue for combat, but it can make talking to NPCs a bit awkward.

Kadin

The movement to me almost feels like they've hacked stick-based movement into their engine via some kind of virtual mouse cursor clicking a fixed distance away from the character's feet in the direction the stick is pushed. There's no analogue movement at all, and you always move at least a certain fixed distance, but you seem to be able to change direction at any time.

I'm not finding it to be a major issue for combat, but it can make talking to NPCs a bit awkward.
Or trying to use a waypoint versus highlighting someone who is standing right beside it. I saw one guy there (in Lioneye's Watch) in the perfect position, kinda reminded me of how people in The Division would stand in the doorway and not let others through.

On PC I play as a Witch that focuses on Zombies. I hardly ever get touched as I sit back and throw spells. My character is only lv28 though so I don't know about end game yet.
If you're following the PewPewPew firestorm build, start looking at another build. That's a noob trap (that I fell into) with no endgame or late game potential.

Zombies are useless for dps, especially in endgame. Their usefulness as meat shields is also limited.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
How does it run?

Some builds in this game absolutely wreck the PC version. Though I read GGG is optimizing the PC version for those crazy builds.

faer0n

If you're following the PewPewPew firestorm build, start looking at another build. That's a noob trap (that I fell into) with no endgame or late game potential.

Zombies are useless for dps, especially in endgame. Their usefulness as meat shields is also limited.

Which build would you suggest? Any good Summoner builds?

Lom1lo

Played the first act as a witch completly focused on arc spells. Is ist recommended to use one element or to mix stuff up ? In the skill tree I went the damage route up to the arc damage stuff

KKRT00

They changed early game a lot like 1.5 year ago. Linked items drop from the start and frequently, you can easily link items with Masters and you start getting support gems after Brutus so lvl 10-12 or smth.
In act 2 you generally already are running with several support gems on your skills, so progression to end-game builds or even making fun builds is way faster now.

I went into the first "town" and my fps dipped to like 10. I then left the town and my frames were still low. I was downloading a game in the background so I figure that might be the cause.

KKRT00

Btw i watched some videos and man, the racing on consoles will be hard with this inventory management.
Also hardcore will also be extremely challenging as you cannot open portal fasts.

--------
Played a little bit, but won't dump more now that I know it will be lost. Seems like a good game.

Game is all about rolling new characters, thats why they have leagues every few months.
It would be best if you tried at least going through Normal once to get to the game for release.

Put a few minutes into PoE this morning and it seemed okay. Picked Templar but will probably try out Witch or Ranger when I get home.

I'm not following a build. I know I'm a horrible person! I just wanted to relive D2 Necromancer lol.

Realyn

I went into the first "town" and my fps dipped to like 10. I then left the town and my frames were still low. I was downloading a game in the background so I figure that might be the cause.
So there are 2 network modes in the game. The newer one(lockstep) has to get information on every single frame or else it would skip that frame and not render it at all. The old one(predictive) would just make stuff up on the fly as the name says, which resulted in you being in the wrong place and warping around. I don't know what consoles uses.

Also hardcore will also be extremely challenging as you cannot open portal fasts.
They'll add some shortcut to quickly leave the game.

Have fun with this one, Xbox guys. Hope the performance isn't terrible. This game has a ridiculous amount of content. Be wary of the grind...this one will catch and hold you like no other. Probably the most robust loot/progression system ever devised.

ooteeni

I played this tonight its running very jerky/choppy on my Xbox.
Played it for a while until I gave up on how rough it runs.

Keinning

It's definitely a problem with your xbox. Game runs perfectly fine. If you're doubting it just check any streams as well

That's odd. I haven't gotten any framerate or performance issues and I played for several hours.

Wonder why we are having widely different experiences.

Top Bottom