• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paul Gale Network Bullshit: "Star Fox Metroid: Fusion Saga" isn't real (no shit!)

Neiteio

Paul Gale, tell us more about your "source" and whether he/she would be inclined to bullshit and what sort of proof leads you to think this was at least entertained at Nintendo at some point in time.

This is the game nobody wants them to make. However if they stick some jetsking, snowboarding and futuristic racing in too Id be strangely tempted.

Oddduck

People need to stop harping over the fact Samus is a human and Star Fox is anamorphic.

Both Star Fox and Metroid share one common bond in their games: Exploring distant planets.

That common bond allows for a very ambitious, epic sci fi adventure. The idea of space traveling to all of these strange planets could be totally awesome.

SmithnCo

Metroid has appeared in Kirby. In fact, even Samus appears.

This doesn't seem crazy, especially if you think all of Nintendo's franchise exists in a "Nintendoverse". :p

Not the same as a full-fledged crossover. The little cameos are great but this would be... weird. It seems like both SF and Metroid fans would rather have dedicated games rather than a mixture of two franchises that have totally different tones.

AniHawk

i mean if it basically comes down to being metroid prime 4 + star fox 2 combo pack i'm sure people would be fine with it. the eventual crossover aspect would be weird, but if everything else was handled right i don't think people would be too bothered by it.

splitting up retro's moody metroid with lighthearted star fox banter would be the worst part of it. or vice versa.

Johnas

Hmmm...my first thought is "That is the worst idea I've ever heard in my life Tom. Yes, it is horrible, this idea".

Then again, Retro is pretty much 4 for 4 (I would say 3.5 anyway), so if any of Nintendo's teams could pull it off successfully, it'd be Retro.

I just don't like the idea of Metroid being diluted any more than it already has. I really want to see another extremely solid Metroid game after the disappointment that was Other M. Save the crossover experimentation for something else. Personally speaking, MP3 wasn't up to snuff, so for me it's been 8 years since I had an extremely satisfying new Metroid experience (and I got two that year, MZM and MP2).

Eh.

Neiteio

Maybe this would be an easier pill to swallow: Not "Star Fox - Metroid: Fusion Saga," but "FUSION SAGA: Star Fox - Metroid."

In other words, it's a new IP called Fusion Saga, and this one crosses Star Fox and Metroid in a tonally balanced, creatively reinterpreted, completely non-canonical way.

It even opens the possibility for other Fusion Saga installments down the road, with diferent crossovers as the subtitle...

Oddduck

Maybe this would be an easier pill to swallow: Not "Star Fox - Metroid: Fusion Saga," but "FUSION SAGA: Star Fox - Metroid."

In other words, it's a new IP called Fusion Saga, and this one crosses Star Fox and Metroid in a tonally balanced, creatively reinterpreted, completely non-canonical way.

It even opens the possibility for other Fusion Saga installments down the road, with diferent crossovers as the subtitle...

I think this franchise could be an amazing.

An entire IP dedicated to crossing Nintendo franchises together.

An entire IP dedicated to crossing Nintendo franchises together.

Ya know, I think they already have an ip for that!

SuperSmashBrosWallpaper800.jpg

KevinCow

Banned
I wouldn't mind this if it was non-canon. I think the novelty of the two very different takes on the sci-fi genre blending together could work for a game, but I'd hate if it went all comic books and said, "Oh by the way, all these games take place in the same universe, and now anything that happens in Metroid has to be taken into account in Star Fox."

That said, I feel like Star Fox and F-Zero would've been a much more natural fit. They're much more closely linked, in that they both premiered on the SNES and haven't had a console game since the Gamecube, they both had the same character designer (if I'm remembering that correctly), they're both more lighthearted takes on sci-fi, and they're both fast-paced action games about characters in vehicles. I could see the flow of racing stage -> shooting stage -> racing stage -> shooting stage working a lot better than having slow, on-foot exploration instead of the racing stage. F-Zero also has an extended cast of characters who could contribute to a Star Fox style comm chatter thing, including one very specific Star Fox reference.

Neiteio

Ya know, I think they already have an ip for that!

SuperSmashBrosWallpaper800.jpg
Difference with Fusion Saga is unlike Smash Bros., it would actually represent the gameplay styles that make the crossed series unique.

Japan would go crazy over it
Absolutely.

I wouldn't mind this if it was non-canon. I think the novelty of the two very different takes on the sci-fi genre blending together could work for a game, but I'd hate if it went all comic books and said, "Oh by the way, all these games take place in the same universe, and now anything that happens in Metroid has to be taken into account in Star Fox."
That's what I expect if this game is real.

That said, I feel like Star Fox and F-Zero would've been a much more natural fit. They're much more closely linked, in that they both premiered on the SNES and haven't had a console game since the Gamecube, they both had the same character designer (if I'm remembering that correctly), they're both more lighthearted takes on sci-fi, and they're both fast-paced action games about characters in vehicles. I could see the flow of racing stage -> shooting stage -> racing stage -> shooting stage working a lot better than having slow, on-foot exploration instead of the racing stage. F-Zero also has an extended cast of characters who could contribute to a Star Fox style comm chatter thing, including one very specific Star Fox reference.
Nah, F-Zero is getting updated by Monster Games (I hope!).

Its funny that apart of the people not wanting it becuase they think the universes dont mix well (understandable although im of the thought that being both space bounty hunters can make a pretty good mix) the other biggest complaint is "but but i dont want furries in ma metroid!"
I dont know what is sadder, to think that a lighthearted 90's antromorphic animal series can be harmful in any way because atumaticaly "furries!" or the hate of Star Fox becuase fun on rails shooter are not really famous anymore (the complaint of not paying same amount of money for a on rails shoter than, for example, Gears of War).

Salvadora

This is such a strange rumour. The more I think about it the more stupid it seems. Who would this even appeal to? They are completely different series.

Alphahawk

This would just confirm that Nintendo has no fucking idea what to do with either franchise at this point.

Reading the description it sounds like two wildly different games, that take place in wildly different universes. Almost as if someone put out a Mario Galaxy and Battlefield 3 mashup.

hatchx

Banned
This would just confirm that Nintendo has no fucking idea what to do with either franchise at this point.

Reading the description it sounds like two wildly different games, that take place in wildly different universes. Almost as if someone put out a Mario Galaxy and Battlefield 3 mashup.

Yeesh.

People should not doubt Retro.

If the game is fun and done tastefully who cares. Let Nintendo do all the weird shit they want, that's why we like them anyways isn't it?

Imagine if you could play as Samus on one screen and Fox on the handheld. Co-op but in a completely different sense. (not sure if that is possible to have so much loading off of the disk)

.la1n

I never had an issue when I found out Metroid was going first person. The universe was still the same and it remained faithful to the original concept. This on the other hand is taking the universe and crapping on it, like Other M before it. Despite all of that, I really do not think this will be end up true. If it does then Nintendo has officially lost it.

If this is true it'll probably just be a new Star Fox game on the same disc as a new Metroid game, with some elements shared between and weird story shit near the end.

I don't see what's wrong with that. I think Nintendo's just not that confident in full-fledged Metroid and Star Fox games on Wii U (given Other M and SF643D's sales), so combining them into one might open each franchise up to a broader audience and be a worthier investment.

Neiteio

If this is true it'll probably just be a new Star Fox game on the same disc as a new Metroid game, with some elements shared between and weird story shit near the end.

I don't see what's wrong with that. I think Nintendo's just not that confident in full-fledged Metroid and Star Fox games on Wii U (given Other M and SF643D's sales), so combining them into one might open each franchise up to a broader audience and be a worthier investment.
Plus, the sound of "new Mario, Pikmin, Metroid and Star Fox" at launch makes my nipples hard.

Teknoman

This isnt going to happen. Nintendo never crosses over franchises unless its either:

A.) Really subtle like in Mario RPG or Links Awakening...or slight comments in Kid Icarus
B.) Insanely over the top like Super Smash Bros.

This is neither.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This would be insane and I'd buy a Wii U just for this.

How do you get to this from the rumor? Its says its specifically a crossover, not a dual pack.

Teknoman

I mean I cant say I wouldnt buy it since i'm a sucker for good cross overs...and there was that Melee CG cinema...but it just seems too far out.

Then again a Nintendo all start fighting game with Solid Snake and Sonic did release this generation.

Neiteio

This isnt going to happen. Nintendo never crosses over franchises unless its either:

A.) Really subtle like in Mario RPG or Links Awakening...or slight comments in Kid Icarus
B.) Insanely over the top like Super Smash Bros.

This is neither.
You remind me of the people who said Pokemon would never have numbered sequels to their mainline games.

Point being, new things get invented.

Tookay

After so more thought, I really don't want this to be true. I think Retro is talented, but the potential for this to go wrong just seems too high to ever be considered, let alone make it into production.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he also leak Donkey Kong Country Returns?

That's what I heard.

But he also got that Rocksteady-developed TMNT game completely wrong.

EDIT: Beaten, by a lot.

Neiteio

I can absolutely believe this was an IDEA tossed around at some point, but I don't think it will be the end product.
Really a number of ways it could play out.

If a Star Fox/Metroid concept was pitched at one point:

- ...it might have ended up like the Sheik demo Retro Studios apparently pitched to Nintendo, only to have it declined

- ...it might have started as a crossover project, but at some point it became apparent the game would work better for whatever reason as a pure Star Fox title, or a pure Metroid title, and so it evolved into that

- ...it might have started as a crossover project between Star Fox and Metroid, but then started incorporating other franchises as well, like Zelda

- ...it started as a crossover but then evolved into a brand new IP with brand new characters (a reverse Kirby's Epic Yarn, if you would)

- ...or, it started as a Star Fox/Metroid crossover and stayed as such, and Fusion Saga will be the final game.

These possibilities are assuming such a thing were ever pitched in the first place.

I don't mind the IPs being mixed, but I don't want to slog through Metroid segments to get to the fun Star Fox segments. And I'd imagine a lot of Metroid fans would feel the opposite as myself.

I'd think gameplay-wise, they'd have to pick one or the other. Either action and shooting or exploration and adventure. If they're really doing a wacky crossover, I think action/shooting is the way to go, but that's my personal preference.

Star Fox is dead. Metroid is dead. Go nuts.

It's like Alien VS Predator all over again (the movies, not the games)..... Good thing that Paul W.S. Anderson has no involvement.

But really, if it is true, how much worse could it be than Rares own Star Fox Adventures? These Retro E3 rumors keep getting more ludicrous with each passing week .

Top Bottom