• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAX East 2012 Thread

Mahonay

Banned
The convention center itself is fine...that's not what I was saying.

What I was saying was that to get to anywhere from the CC is a pain in the ass, whether that's food, bars, or anything else. I dunno, it's just my opinion.
There's absolutely nothing around. This is true. I find it a major pain in the ass as well.

Gotta agree with the comments about the convention location. As bad as Hynes was in the first year in Boston, it's close to everything else within the city, so doing things that's not costing $buttrape would have been nice ($9 for a burger, what the fuck was that?) Prime's venue location doesn't suffer from this issue either, with plenty of bars and food options outside as well.

I guess it's the sacrifice for a bigger and better venue.

Coalition-PezRadar

Director of Community, The Coalition
Back home in PA safe, sound and slightly better rested. What an epic weekend.

Highlights:

- Bachelor party on Thursday night with my friends down in Providence
- Getting my picture taken with Suda 51 Friday morning
- Talking to the lead on Hero Academy and learning more about the plans for the game
- Talking to Noogy after playing his EPIC 2D game. Seriously blows my mind!!
- GAF meet-up. Had to bounce earlier and missed the drinking but it was so awesome meeting other GAFers and putting some faces to names and avatars. Definitely want to make this a yearly tradition.
- Getting to play (and beat) a Magic developer and pick his brain apart
- Meeting Adam and BuddyC and talking to them about Borderlands 2 and what not
- While waiting in line for the Gearbox Panel met a Riot Games employee and talked about the game and what was coming up with League of Legends
- Playing Werewolf with strangers at the con on Saturday night
- Gearbox Panel was truly epic

I was literally doing something every waking moment of the entire four day weekend. Getting too old for this kind of stuff. I really wanted to do more and I'm sad I missed out on meeting some more people I had planned on.

Really makes me want to consider PAX Prime this year.

Great to meet you! Glad you came by and talked for a bit. Also tell your friend sorry about getting distracted by that X-Play crew pushing us out of the statues way :p

Yeah, the BCEC sucks for nearby bars/restaurants other than Whiskey Priest and the other (expensive) places on the Waterfront. Always better to just take the T or walk back towards South Station/Downtown/Chinatown, but annoying. They do run shuttles at various intervals during the lunch hours to Chinatown, the North End, and deeper into Southie to make it easier to get food.

My PAX highlight reel:
Friday:
-Showed up around 9AM and stood in the queue line; found AlphaTwo in the next row over
-Played Jet Set Radio HD (cool), Hell Yeah (awesome), Lollipop Chainsaw (great), Risen 2 (I picked up the demo in the middle of nowhere and had no idea what to do), Monaco (cool) Kid Icarus: Uprising (just for the shirt+AR cards)
-Caught up with a friend who works for WB, and ran into a couple friends from college
-Started drinking at Whiskey Priest around 3pm with PXG and wondermega
-Peaced out around 7PM and got my only real sleep of the weekend

Saturday:
-Went to the 3DS StreetPass Network panel that had some of the StreetPass Network guys, Jools from Renegade Kid, and some n-Space guys
-Played the rest of Square Enix's games at the booth to finish up their punchcard: Wakfu (meh), Theatrhythm (great), Sleeping Dogs (great), Quantum Conundrum (awesome), Heroes of Ruin (cool)
-GAF Meetup which was just plain awesome. Shoutout to PXG, AlphaTwo, Attackthebase, Arsenic Yellow, robertM, Hero, Charron, Lucario, shidoshi, Hazaro, and zmoney for showing up. The rest of you can read the drunken shenanigans in the last few pages. These meetups have to be a regular thing.

Sunday:
-Rolled in around 10:30 or so fighting off the hangover from Saturday night on the T that wouldn't stop shaking
-Played Dust (GOTS), Runner 2 (great), Guacamelee (awesome), Snapshot (cool), Crimson Dragon (cool), Mario Tennis Open (great), Sine Mora (cool)
-Chatted with Noogy a little bit after I played Dust before he got pulled away to talk to shidoshi.

Couple games I wish I played but didn't get the chance to were Steel Battalion, Dragon's Dogma, and Super Time Force.
-
In all, great show, but the best part was definitely the GAF meetup. Shit was ridiculous.

DixPml.jpg

:)

epmode

So I've been to three of these PAX things so far and I've sat in on a grand total of six presentations and played maybe three games on the show floor. Going back next year for sure.

So I've been to three of these PAX things so far and I've sat in on a grand total of six presentations and played maybe three games on the show floor. Going back next year for sure.
PAX is always about choices. You can dedicate yourself on one thing and spend the entire 3 days there. You can dedicate your entire time over in just the board game area, and it would be just as interesting and different of an experience. I swear one day I'd do a show where I'd do nothing but just panels for an entire 3 day event.

Hero

Great to meet you! Glad you came by and talked for a bit. Also tell your friend sorry about getting distracted by that X-Play crew pushing us out of the statues way :p

Haha it's all good, wasn't your fault. They were so pushy, kind of wish they would fade to obscurity faster.

Went to the panel and my friend actually got that hard trivia question wrong, haha. Totally wanted to stay after the panel to talk to you and the rest of Gearbox but you guys were getting swarmed by fans and we had a 7 hour drive ahead of us. Totally was the panel of the show for my group. That same friend recorded the whole panel on his iPad except for the new Aliens trailer since you guys asked us not to. Randy seems like a lot of fun and it seemed to me that he was just as excited to show us the game as the 800 or so people filling the room, if not even more. Seems like a real fun place to work. Is Dallas weather nice? :)

Pollux

We need those other pictures in this thread. So many good/hazy memories from the Gaf meetup. I'm just saying, a Seattle PAX Prime Gaf meetup is a must.

Someone needs to put up the bar pics...arsenic yellow I'm looking at you...since I'm not in that photo.

here are some images from saturday:
Me at the aliens booth attempting to pose
4fMR3.jpg

RobertM punching sonic's emeralds, either that or flexing
aDg3I.jpg

a few of us at the bar after dinner (robertM was taking the photos). We were plastered...
dMuCJ.jpg

bBYOi.jpg

Jesus, none of these pictures are flattering..

TEJ

Are there any impression articles out there of dust that go into detail? I tried searching but all I could find is the g4tv one which was pretty basic.

More gaffers should've showed up! I really enjoyed looking like an idiot with our irish jig dances :) I met some really nice ladies from scotland in the bathroom, they kept saying how adorable my southern accent was :| I didnt think it was that noticeable.

Edit: Also, I'll make a thread about a gaf boston meetup in a few weeks. I'll probably pm you guys what nights are best for ya'll :)

Sanjuro

The convention center itself is fine...that's not what I was saying.

What I was saying was that to get to anywhere from the CC is a pain in the ass, whether that's food, bars, or anything else. I dunno, it's just my opinion.

Disagree completely. Although, you may not be very familar with Boston. There are more than a dozen resturants and bars well within walking distance.

Shadow780

Definitely going panel heavy next year, almost not worth it to wait 2 hours to play one popular game that's coming out at some point, plus you get to sit down in panels :)

Classic arcade room was a blast too.

Disagree completely. Although, you may not be very familar with Boston. There are more than a dozen resturants and bars well within walking distance.
For me to get a decent lunch at a decent price, I'd have to walk 10+ minutes away from the con, which means that in the middle of the day, I'd lose 30+ minutes just for lunch.

KHarvey16

Anyone else catch the Uncharted panel on Friday? Thought it was easily the most interesting one I saw all weekend. And with the Gearbox panel being the most fun they worked as two great bookends to a great weekend.

Trying to think up callsigns or character names to submit with my easter egg!

Kazerei

Banned
I'm finally back home now. Best thing about PAX was getting 525 streetpasses and almost finishing Puzzle Swap and Find Mii 2

But really, I really enjoyed the Khoo & A, the Make-a-Strip, and the Hitman gameplay demo. Also, I'm totally sold on Theatrhythm FF.

Finally starting to unpack, may have some pics (and I definitely need to upload that Suda 51 + horse head pic at some point)

Quick rundown of what I saw:
Rock Band Blitz - More that willing to saw the game that I came back to over and over, but I went through more in detail in the Blitz thread.
Nintendo Booth - Spiriti Camera is cool, if not a bit too needy with the whole book as an requirement to play; Kid Icarus was clearly their big push, and while it's probably a good thing, it's just really weird to see Nintendo push already existing games as their entire booth. (Although having an entire table for just downloadable games like Freakyforms/Pushmo/Rolling Western was pretty good)
Trials Evolution - I think I know what I was getting with that, and it doesn't disappoint.
Steel Battalion - I've kinda hinted at the idea that it's worst of what I've seen. Now, that may be harsh, but I only do it because of love. I wonder if it's the sensitivity because of the playspace, or other fine-tuning issues, but maybe there's hope for it.
The rest of MS Booth - Kinect, Kinect, Kinect, Kinect, Minecraft... I didn't see Dust (always managed to have a line when I walked by), but it does look interesting from far away.

Borderlands 2 - Felt great to play. Want to see more (my demo on day 3 was cut down to 15 minutes, and it felt like we're playing something truncated), and it's not the most ideal way of how I would play the game (2 players, with not much mic communication).
Bastion - They had their first prototype there as playable form, and it's absolutely amazing a)how much was done within a month, and b)how much of the game is still recognizable
Max Payne 3 - Bullet time feels just right, along with the movement and the presentation. I'm still not entirely sold on this "not quite comic noir" styling yet, and I'm definitely having reservations now with using right stick as precision aiming when my entire Max Payne history has been always about precise mouse aim control.
Spec Ops: The Line - Quite possibly the surprise of the show for me. I've never really given the game much of a chance, but it's much better than I've expected, and the squad command in a shooter, while not the most complex and deepest out there, is still a breath of fresh air. I hope this game finds it's niche out there, because I'm not sure if getting everything just right is good enough anymore.
Dyad, They Bleed Pixels - I've played these before in prior events in Toronto, and it's really nice to see things coming along. I didn't have any hands on time with Dyad this time, but it was interesting watching people play. The game is hard to explain to people, but there's a magical point where whoever is playing just suddenly get it. The Bleed Pixels, on the other hand, is a much easier to explain preposition (2d pixel art style beat em up game, but with combat and platform focus) and scratches a particular gaming itch I had right now.
Monaco - 4 player stealth game sounds like a disaster in the making (in all the right ways), and it was a riot as we tried to execute a heist, fail miserably, and everyone ran for cover like a benny hill chase.

Edit: Oh yes. ALL THE STREETPASS. So many 3DS, and EVERYONE was on Find Mii. I ended up clearing all the puzzles, and cleared 2 full loops of Find Mii 2.

Spec Ops or GRFS?
I didn't bother lining up for GRFS, so I'm more than willing to say I may not have the best observation, but GRFS looks like Ghost Recon turned Gears. Ironically, I think Ghost Recon Online looked like a better throwback to what Ghost Recon is as a team based squad shooter.

Last observation of the night: I think one thing that most people have overlooked is the number of absences this year, Valve, THQ, Sony, EA (ignoring Old Republic), and Bethesda.

Sorry to end on a bummer note.

RobertM

Loot me and ArsenicYellow have gathered (not including the posters)
CFj2j.jpg

Auds0.jpg

4Tftx.jpg

I really liked the Mega64 hoodie Arsenic bought me, I got it signed by all of the guys. Nice bunch of folks. Thank you my love :)
It was a pleasure meeting up with gaffers after PAX. My voice was going by the end of the day and i cant hear anything when theres loud music (attention problems dont help either :( ), but I had an awesome time and love to do another meetup again.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Last observation of the night: I think one thing that most people have overlooked is the number of absences this year, Valve, THQ, Sony, EA (ignoring Old Republic), and Bethesda.

Sorry to end on a bummer note.

So of the "big" guys there, Sega, Square, Ubi, MS, WB, 2K, 3DS, who had the best show overall?

Loot me and ArsenicYellow have gathered (not including the posters)

I really liked the Mega64 hoodie Arsenic bought me, I got it signed by all of the guys. Nice bunch of folks. Thank you my love :)
It was a pleasure meeting up with gaffers after PAX. My voice was going by the end of the day and i cant hear anything when theres loud music (attention problems dont help either :( ), but I had an awesome time and love to do another meetup again.

loved my signed sword and sorcery lp. Can't wait to download the album tonight :). After talking to craig adams for a while, i will say im not the biggest fan of him and thats being polite. Capy on the other hand was completely awesome, wish i had gotten him to sign the album :( maybe some day.

The tactics ogre tarot cards were surprisingly nice, though you had to play through all of their subpar games to get it (RobertM and I just split the 6 games between us). The only game I enjoyed from them was sleeping dogs.

You should've cropped some of those pictures, makes me look like a total slob. Plus, now they see the mattress on the floor...

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
the enforcer after party was amazing

AMAZING

we went to Jillians and just nerded out and had a great time
Could exhibitors get in there? Was it open to all?
I hung around late one of the days, just for food.

I'll post up what little stuff I got (Don't like pointless swag I won't use)

Had a great time, played some great games, talked and met up with people, and hopefully made some good impressions on the people I talked to. Got a few cards at least.

The_Monk

I just want to say how awesome this experience seems be.

I never went to any PAX or anything similar since I'm far away and I love to see the Swag people got from there. Guess I love those things! Maybe because I'm in Marketing, I don't know. Shame that I would never going to be able to join any GAFfers at PAX or E3 or anything... Seems a lot interesting to meet some gaming folks there.

I'm happy cause I got some 360 Gears of War 3 Swag some time ago from the very kind a Master Ninja but aside from that I'm never going to join the fun. =/

Sanjuro

Yeah, I'm not going to take anyone seriously when they complain about food. Bring a lunch or skip the meal of you are that worried.

- There is a food court inside the building serving a variety of meals.
- There are smaller vendors inside the building.
- There are about three resturants attached to the building itself.
- There are bars and resturants all within walking distance. Jerry Remy's, Legal, McDonalds, Dunkin Donuts, Whiskey Priest, Drink, Lucky's, Cosi, and many more.
- There is a shuttle bus, COMPLEMENTARY. Will bring you to at least three various locations, all serving food.
- Cabs are very cheap. Plenty of them around.

Tawpgun

There's absolutely nothing around. This is true. I find it a major pain in the ass as well.

If you want to spend an extra $4 or $3.40(if you get a Charlie Card) you could have gotten anywhere in the city using the T. This counts round trip since its $2 or $1.70 to get into the T

KHarvey16

And if you don't feel like walking, the silver line is right there. Gets you to south station in like 4 minutes if you want some food, and you're already in the subway system if you want to go anywhere else.

Top Bottom