• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAX East 2012 Thread

5amshift

Banned
Hey guys, was Hitman shown/playable there?

To press only and it was only shown... in a hotel room, to a room of like 6 people on Friday.

Colonial Marines wasn't that impressive, and Lollypop Chainsaw was decent. I got to play everything I wanted, including Super Time Force (thank you Cromulent ;D)

Tawpgun

Before we knew what was going to be there I bought my 3 day pass anticipating Halo 4 to be playable Bioshock Infinite to be playable.

Halo 4 because it would be around the time when a multiplayer build of the game could be shown/beta

And Bioshock because Irrational is in Boston or around.

Still had fun though. Because of PAX I'm probably going to pick up Borderlands 2. Might get Borderlands 2 GOTY over the summer after school.

lol Halo 4 , i wish

i was disappointed in bioshock infinite not being playable :/ smh

i forgot that i saw Kristin Adams/Holt in the morning, not at the both but i walked past her <3 <3 <3

my copy of killer instinct gold i bought there doesn't work :(

Messi

To press only and it was only shown... in a hotel room, to a room of like 6 people on Friday.

Colonial Marines wasn't that impressive, and Lollypop Chainsaw was decent. I got to play everything I wanted, including Super Time Force (thank you Cromulent ;D)

This worries me.

thcsquad

Before we knew what was going to be there I bought my 3 day pass anticipating Halo 4 to be playable Bioshock Infinite to be playable.

Halo 4 because it would be around the time when a multiplayer build of the game could be shown/beta

And Bioshock because Irrational is in Boston or around.

Still had fun though. Because of PAX I'm probably going to pick up Borderlands 2. Might get Borderlands 2 GOTY over the summer after school.

I'm not sure of the Bioshock rationale here. Irrational being in Boston certainly increases the likelihood of there being a company presence, but playability? That would only be based on how far long they are and what the marketing strategy is. What, do companies usually have to buy extra plane tickets to bring gameplay along?

RobertM

Well fucking great, most of the bus tickets were sold out. I cant even take the 10 pm bus cause i wont be even able to get on the last train to New Jersey, fml. Theres so much traffic on the way to Boston, i feel bad for those people. Going back to Christina's place, fuck this. Helluva weekend, 3 days of work skipped. Did everyone find transportation to get home?

-PXG-

This was my first game convention. I can't imagine what E3 is like. I'll definitely come with friends or a lady next time.

I'm in NJ. My train just passed Newark International.

Tawpgun

Well fucking great, most of the bus tickets were sold out. I cant even take the 10 pm bus cause i wont be even able to get on the last train to New Jersey, fml. Theres so much traffic on the way to Boston, i feel bad for those people. Going back to Christina's place, fuck this. Helluva weekend, 3 days of work skipped. Did everyone find transportation to get home?

You live in Jersey and you complain about Boston traffic? I'm assuming you've had to pass through the New York area because Goddamn.

I've never had a problem with Boston traffic, and I go to school here.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Yeah, this definitely seemed like the weakest PAX East out of the 3.

I dunno, year one the show floor was pretty desolate.

2K definitely brought it this year though. There were some solid / big games there between AC3 (video yeah), Borderlands, XCom, Civ V, and Aliens. + stuff like Max Payne, Ghost Recon, Spec Ops, Far Cry.

All the microsoft stuff, blitz.

I don't see how you can put it behind the Hynes year

oh and the Khoo panel was the greatest thing ever.

You live in Jersey and you complain about Boston traffic? I'm assuming you've had to pass through the New York area because Goddamn.

I've never had a problem with Boston traffic, and I go to school here.

It's pa east Sunday, everyone's leaving. Plus it's Easter Sunday. I just had to come back to Boston to pick him up. Highway and south station are both huge clusterfucks right now. Huge. All bus tickets are pretty much sold out.

Tawpgun

I dunno, year one the show floor was pretty desolate.

2K definitely brought it this year though. There were some solid / big games there between AC3 (video yeah), Borderlands, XCom, Civ V, and Aliens. + stuff like Max Payne, Ghost Recon, Spec Ops, Far Cry.

All the microsoft stuff, blitz.

I don't see how you can put it behind the Hynes year

oh and the Khoo panel was the greatest thing ever.
First PAX East was in Hynes? Goddamn how did everything fit there? It's decently big but it doesn't have the same verticality.

Though Hynes would have meant it would have been walking distance from me.

thcsquad

So I did exactly what I wanted to do: play a bunch of indie games and see some good panels. Highlights:

1. Indie rant panel today. Those guys are hilarious.
2. Playing Dyad again
3. Curse of the Nordic Cove showing that some indies are still out there making batshit crazy game ideas. Golf + action/horror? I'll buy it on concept alone.

First PAX East was in Hynes? Goddamn how did everything fit there? It's decently big but it doesn't have the same verticality.

Things really grew when it got to the BCEC. The booths weren't as gig as they were this year or last year.

And it still was packed.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat

The theaters were really damn small that year, especially compared to how crazy huge these were.

On the other hand, you didn't spend a lot of time going from place to place like you could have this year. Things felt really spread out.

Patryn

This year was definitely a learning experience for me. More than my previous PAXes, I've now drawn up a series of rules that I'll follow when I go to future ones.

louiedog

Paul Christoforo says he was at PAX. Gabe says otherwise. This is too good.

link

edit: Basically Paul posted pics as evidence that he was at PAX. After doing so Gabe revealed that he'd secretly fed those pics to Paul and has proof.

DarkKyo

Great PAX. Had lots of fun!! But it's good to be home. My feet(standing for 3 days straight in lines) and shoulders(so many heavy bags) are killing me...

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

First PAX was too big for Hynes even. There wasn't enough to do on the show floor, and the panel rooms were small which turned into multi-hour lines for panels.

Still was fun, but it was obvious they were going to move it by Day 2.

That said, Hynes' location is much better in terms of nearby food or drinks, but that's what cabs are for.

Tawpgun

Should we post pictures of our swag?

Asscreed Tomahawk and Shirt
Ghost Recon Cuff Links
Signed Sparth Journal (not PAX related, but my friend had one)
Signed Bastion Bandana
and an Epic Games easter egg with a Gears 3 season pass inside.

Bastion Bandana was the only thing I bought. Didn't want to spend money.

Pretty fun time. Highlight of the show for me was fighting some Capcom staff member at HD Remix and having the entire 360 freeze while it tried to load a menu. I also pretty mcuh played through the entire Final Fight there as well (had to leave for a panel at the last area).

I'll post some of the stuff I got later, lol lots of stickers :D

Fuck this, next year I'm doing some cos plays, now I just gotta think of a character to go as.

-PXG-

I'm normally a generous tipper. At that point though, I was completely out of cash. I didn't find an ATM until we got to the Black Rose. I felt really shitty.

Anyway, I just wanna say that I had a fucking blast. It was nice meeting all of you. Shame more Gaffers didn't come out with us. There's always more events, and, of course, PAX East 2013. Until then, be safe, be happy, live well and keep on being amazing people :)

Oh, and check this shit out...

Coalition-PezRadar

Director of Community, The Coalition
Thanks again to those who dropped by the Borderlands 2 and Aliens: Colonial Marines booth. Also big thanks to those who came out to the Gearbox panel. I am still floored by the panel being full almost 90 minutes for the start. That is crazy. Got a great video of our panel line as well!

Thanks again GAF! Hope to see you guys at future shows!

Thanks again to those who dropped by the Borderlands 2 and Aliens: Colonial Marines booth. Also big thanks to those who came out to the Gearbox panel. I am still floored by the panel being full almost 90 minutes for the start. That is crazy. Got a great video of our panel line as well!

We stopped at the borderlands 2 booth 4 times asking for you :( by the time pax was over, we assumed you were only a legend.

-PXG-

I saw you the morning of the first day, but at the point in time I didn't know you were you. Shit. Oh well, next time. B-lands 2 looks amazing.

Oh, and we share the coolest name in the universe ;)

Shadow780

Post here if you coming down with con flu tomorrow, I can already feel it's coming down on me :-(

Highlight of the show are Steel Battalion and Dust, especially Dust, what a beautiful game, the dev is half Korean and super nerdy middle age guy, chatted for a while since it's Sunday during closing time, so good.

PAX East should be divided into like three separate cons. It's too goddamn massive to do everything!

You basically have to split popular games into three days, there's no chance to see ACIII, Max Payne, Steel Battalion, Lolipop Chainsaw, and Borderlands 2 in one day. I spent the rest of my time visiting arcades and indie games.

blitz64

The lollipop chainsaw girl is so hot and pretty. I haven't met a girl this pretty in real life in a while.

Also glad I took a picture with her before she got kicked off for wearing too little.

-PXG-

I told myself early on that I wasn't gonna be able to catch the big games. Instead, I spent my time rubbing elbows with devs and playing the indie stuff. Totally worth it.

Dust was incredible. Noogy is beyond talented. That man is a beast. He deserves every bit of success and good will that comes his way. I wouldn't believe you if you told me an entire team made a game that solid. But ONE, SINGLE, INDIVIDUAL...did ALL of that. Christ...

Truly a god among men. Man, you put other devs to shame with your work. Easily a day one purchase for me. MS better pimp the hell out of your game. GAF better do it's part to help you out.

Had a pretty amazing time at PAX this year. Seeing a lot of the big AAA games was awesome for sure. What really blew me away the most were the arcade titles that were playable and coming out this summer too!

Mark of The Ninja
Deadlight
Dust

So good!!

Post here if you coming down with con flu tomorrow, I can already feel it's coming down on me :-(

Highlight of the show are Steel Battalion and Dust, especially Dust, what a beautiful game, the dev is half Korean and super nerdy middle age guy, chatted for a while since it's Sunday during closing time, so good.

We spoke to him saturday, super nice guy, he's also a gaffer. You could see his passion for his creation. It's very endearing.

Coalition-PezRadar

Director of Community, The Coalition
We stopped at the borderlands 2 booth 4 times asking for you :( by the time pax was over, we assumed you were only a legend.

Oh yea.. if you were looking for me on the last day, then yea that would have been tough. I was running around with our Gearbox Bunny and handing out eggs to fans and Facehuggers and stuff.

Around 2:00pm, I went all panel focused. Hope everyone got pizza at the panel! :)

I saw you the morning of the first day, but at the point in time I didn't know you were you. Shit. Oh well, next time. B-lands 2 looks amazing.

Oh, and we share the coolest name in the universe ;)

We shall meet again! Thanks for the compliment.. and yes, best name ever!

-PXG-

I had good long talks with folks from Klei and Gaijin. Wonderful people. Both their games look and play great, especially Runner 2. I played the shit out of it. I had a blast trolling the Klei devs and playing Mark of the Ninja completely wrong lol

Hell, all the devs I met were humble and down to Earth. Video games man...Amazing.

Oh, Alex, you owe me a beer (like I need another, right?) for beating the whole demo on hard.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm normally a generous tipper. At that point though, I was completely out of cash. I didn't find an ATM until we got to the Black Rose. I felt really shitty.

Anyway, I just wanna say that I had a fucking blast. It was nice meeting all of you. Shame more Gaffers didn't come out with us. There's always more events, and, of course, PAX East 2013. Until then, be safe, be happy, live well and keep on being amazing people :)

Oh, and check this shit out...
holy shit you met Triforce! :lol

-PXG-

holy shit you met Triforce! :lol

I met him earlier that day too. He was all knotted up in a suit (no power glove...yeah...I KNOW!!!), writing his number on his business cards. Apparently it was either an old number, or someone fucked up and printed the wrong one. He was just chillin, sitting on the floor near the Sega's Aliens structure.

Really nice guy. I get the impression that he's misunderstood by many people.

I also met iSekC at the end of the Epic Games panel. I forgot to get a photo with him.

Top Bottom