• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAX West 2016 Attendees Thread

krae_man

It's that time of year again people!

SNjmPmJ.png

What is it?

PAX Prime is a 4 day geek culture convention with video games as the focal point. There's an expo hall where you can demo some games before they come out, panels you can check out, a tabletop area, console freeplay, tournaments, concerts etc

When is It?

Sept 2-5, 2016

Where is it?

Washington State Convention Center, Seattle Washington

Expo Hall hours?

Show Floor is 10am-6pm each day. Other parts like the console freeplay, tabletop area etc are 10am-12am Fri-Sun and 10am-7pm Monday.

How much are tickets?

Tickets were $45/day but are now sold out. If you want tickets now you'll need to buy through a third party. There are often people selling tickets outside the convention center and PAX has a badge verification check you can use to verify a badges authenticity before purchasing. Do not buy from a third party outside the convention center unless the seller is willing to go with you to verify the badge.

fDj3KB9.jpg

The nearest airport is Seattle-Tacoma. The airport code is SEA.

Once you arrive at the airport, you can take the Light Rail link to downtown Seattle for only $3. Here are the last few light rail stops(note Convention center is on the corner of 7th and Pike):
YeV0F1v.jpg

You can walk to your hotel from there pretty easily if you picked one near the convention center.

The Light Rail now also continues on to Capital Hill and Washington University so you have more options to mass transit places.

lrKBg6R.jpg

The best place to book a hotel is through the official hotel list which you can access here:

https://compass.onpeak.com/e/43PPX16/0

Most stuff is already booked up but you might get lucky with a last minute cancellation. Otherwise you can check out what is available through others sites.

OmiEK9Y.jpg

Floor plans!

W8kBgs2.jpg

Panel list(subject to change) is available now via the Guidebook app. Just search PAX Prime 2015 on Google Play or iTunes or view the mobile app online here. Schedule is posted here on the PAX West website as well..

Main Theatre: Benaroya Hall
Chipmunk theatre: Convention Center, Level 6
Chicken Theatre: Convention Center, Level 6
Hydra Theatre: Grand Hyatt, Level 1
Hippogriff Theatre: Grand Hyatt, Level 1
Sasquatch Theatre: Sheraton, Level 2
Sphinx Theatre: Sheraton, Level 3
Wyvern Theatre: Westin, Level 4

The Westin is a bit of a walk from the Convention Center so give yourself some extra time if you plan on attending a panel in the Westin. It's on the corner of 5th, Stewart, and Westlake(yep three corners).

Q) I'm not at PAX, any way I can experience it at home?
A) Yes PAX streams some panels. Last year they streamed the Main and Hedgehog theatres on the following channels:

www.twitch.tv/pax will be streaming the main theatre(I think)

www.twitch.tv/pax2 will be streaming the hydra theatre

www.twitch.tv/pax3 will be streaming the wyvern theatre

823FxYK.jpg

1) No more Queue hall. Instead there will be two places where you can enter the convention now. The first is the main entrance on the corner on 7th and Pike, and the other is the Annex.

Secret Entrance to Expo Hall?

2) Console freeplay and tourny are on the first two floors of the anex.

3) PAX Arena has moved to the convention center.

3) Swag Bags are in the Sheraton Level 2

4) Classic Arcade is in the Hyatt Level 1.

5) VR Freeplay in the Westin on Level 4 all day long. No idea how long the lines will be or how massive the pinkeye plague will be. Bring your own babywipes and sanitizer to bathe in before and after I guess.

evXOqTk.jpg

-Check out the exhibit hall and play some unreleased games
-Go to some panels. There is a wide variety so there is bound to be some you are interested in
-Console Free play. Borrow a game and play it on a number of retro consoles in the free play room. All free
-Table Top: Take part in some table top games in the tabletop area
-Retro Arcade. Play some cool old arcade and pinball games
-Tournaments. Throughout PAX there will be tournaments for various games. Games and times are in the schedule

igDrw6h.jpg

Friday Night 8:30pm Main Theatre:

Where are your socks? Can’t find them? Oh that must mean you went to the Friday Night Concerts and had them rocked right off your feet by the Video Game Pianist, MC Frontalot, and Bit Brigade!

Sorry about that. We aren’t responsible for sock replacement.

Saturday Night 8:30pm Main Theatre:

Can’t stop. Won’t stop. The music, it just keeps happening. Can you feel it? The rhythm is a dancer! Turn the beat around! Beat It! Other song titles!

You are in for a real treat as Triforce Quartet, The 1ups, and Super Guitar Bros. all collectively bring the house down. You get to see all these acts in one awesome night? You are the luckiest person I've ever met!

HrfaFJ8.jpg

Gameworks
Gameworks is a Barcade with tons of arcade machines. and it's pretty much right across the street from the convention center

Seattle Space Needle
The Space Needle isn't too far away from the convention center.

Top Pot Donuts
Delicious, delicious donuts

Seattle Monorail
yajcwXM.jpg

:lol

unA9Hsj.jpg

Date: Saturday Sept 3rd
Time: 8pm
912 12th Ave. Seattle, WA
All ages 8PM-10PM. 21+ after 10PM.

How do I get there?
f7kr04E.jpg

(Old Map with the old name, Same building)

It's a walkable distance but if you don't want to walk, it's not an expensive cab fare and you can take the #10 or #12 bus down Pike St to 12th as well.

Why should I come?

Because putting faces to avatars and meeting new people is the best part of conventions like PAX(I'm an expert!). Come hang out have a drink if you like and chat about what you saw/played at PAX.

Meeting Gaffers is my favorite part of PAX, you should all come.

tmFKv2E.jpg

A complete list of PAX parties can be found here:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/206295/pax-west-party-line-2016

nWDvQ9N.jpg

-Snacks and Water. You're going to be waiting in line a lot to get into your favorite panels and to try the lateset games. It always helps to have snacks and beverages so you don't have to decide between waiting in line for food or going to another panel/playing another game.

Hand Sanitizer There will be plenty available for you to use around the convention center but it's always best to have your own in case it's just out of reach.

-Handheld game systems. Bring your 3DS. PAX is a street pass goldmine. Collect those puzzle pieces, grow those plants, kill those ghosts etc

-Something to sit on. The floor can be hard on the old backside. Bring a cushon with you, or for elite level line waiting, bring a slacker stool.

-A easy to carry bag. You're going to need it for all the above, plus the swag you'll get. Don't go overboard though as you will have to carry everything with you all day. You're not backpacking across Europe. Some people bring poster tubes to keep posters they acquire in good condition.

-Your cellphone battery will not last. Conventions are murder on your battery. I strongly recommend investing in a external battery pack of some kind.

-How long should you wait in line for a panel? Most stuff you're fine if you're there 30 minutes early. Some stuff like the Keynote and the PAX Rumble panel always book up fast. Other times popular panels end up in smaller theatres and book up insanely fast too. If you absolutely positively must see a panel and are willing to wait whatever it takes, look at the schedule and see what time the panel before it starts. The second that panel begins is the earliest you can line up(typically 90 minutes early)

-Get your sleep. you probably don't need the full 8 hours, but you don't want to be getting back to your hotel room at 4am and then waking up at 7 so you can be near the front of the line for when the convention center opens at 10am the next day.

-You might not be able to see/do everything. Pick your priorities and wait it out.

-Go to the GAF meetup/other meetups. My favorite part of conventions is meeting people I've been chatting online with for years. If you take the chance and do it, It'll become yours too. Doesn't have to be GAF. Are you part of a subreddit that is having a meetup at the convention? a Playstaiton Fansite etc? Consider attending them.

-Have Fun

krae_man

Okay this worked well at PSX so I'm going to try it here.

I started a Line group for us to keep in contact over the event.

I know PAX internet sucks but it still might be useful for outside of expo hall hours if there's a kick ass party or something.

Anyway you can join the line here(link may need to be clicked on mobile)

http://line.me/R/ti/g/xza0LiW4Fd

Group is called NeoGaf PAX West.

Meetup details will be decided on soon. Would like some input from who is attending on the best date. We've done Sunday night the past few years but can change it if a different day is better for the group.

Oh damn, I've always wanted to attend one of the GAF meetups but I won't be going this year. Plans with friends fell through and I ended up not pursuing tickets after missed out on the first batch of tickets.

Have fun guys/gals! Share some pics

_woLf

huh, Nintendo's booth shrunk in size by about 50% and there is no pokemon booth this year. That booth better be 100% playable Zelda or I imagine there will be a lot of upset Nintendo fans this year.

That's disappointing.

So much twitch/esports/etc BS this year too...

TriAceJP

Friday/Saturday for this guy.

Not really looking forward to anything, probably going to wander and bounce.

GoshaDole

huh, Nintendo's booth shrunk in size by about 50% and there is no pokemon booth this year. That booth better be 100% playable Zelda or I imagine there will be a lot of upset Nintendo fans this year.

That's disappointing.

So much twitch/esports/etc BS this year too...

Theres a whole Pokemon Center on the third floor near the handheld lounge.

OnPoint

The "Stuff to do at PAX Prime" section should have the concerts listed. Also, it should probably say "PAX West" at this point :)

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
*sighs*

I actually just moved into my new apartment in Seattle, but I'm going to be back in Florida for the next two weeks finishing up the last of the moving tasks. Hopefully, I won't have any excuses for next year.

I'll say the same thing I said last year: everyone who is in town for PAX should try to set aside time to meet up with krae_man and the rest of the GAF contingent. The meet-ups are a good time.

krae_man

If anybody has a "Don't do the meetup on X, because it's the same time as Y" speak now or forever hold your peace.

Also only one person joined the line group. Is nobody interested in that, or did everyone just miss it?

I know PAX internet sucks but it still might be useful for outside of expo hall hours if there's a kick ass party or something.

Meetup details will be decided on soon. Would like some input from who is attending on the best date. We've done Sunday night the past few years but can change it if a different day is better for the group.

KRaZyAmmo

I won't be able to go this year. But I should be able to go next year. Would have been great to meet up with some gaffers

Shauk

Banned
I'll be there. All 4 days. Don't know anyone from here but I'll possibly share my updates here as the event is happening

iqubal

Banned
First pax i'm missing :( . Something came up and can't go.

I got an extra monday ticket if someone is looking (pickup in vancouver bc). Sorry if this isn't allowed here.

mishakoz

Hey Gaf, I'm going solo (no game enthusiast friends) so I hope to see you guys there.

Also, I have an extra sTurday and Friday pass if someone would like, free of charge.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Ill be working the GungHo booth the entire time repping LET IT DIE, Puzzle & Dragons, GALAK-Z: Variant Mobile, and Super Senso.

krae_man

Okay so I had 1 No for Friday.

Saturday for the Meetup is a go unless I get some complaints asap.

Saturday is busy with non PAX peoples at the bars but we can make it work and barhop if we have to. Bring back memories of EA booking our place on us:lol

Only 3 sign ups to the line group so far. Talking during the convention probably won't work the best but it will be helpful for after show floor hours communicating.

Wazzy

Banned
So excited to be going again. I'm going straight for the XIV booth if they have it setup like last year.

krae_man

Meetup Information:

Date: Saturday Sept 3rd
Time: 8pm
912 12th Ave. Seattle, WA
All ages 8PM-10PM. 21+ after 10PM.

How do I get there?
f7kr04E.jpg

(Old Map with the old name, Same building)

It's a walkable distance but if you don't want to walk, it's not an expensive cab fare and you can take the #10 or #12 bus down Pike St to 12th as well.

Why should I come?

Because putting faces to avatars and meeting new people is the best part of conventions like PAX(I'm an expert!). Come hang out have a drink if you like and chat about what you saw/played at PAX.

Meeting Gaffers is my favorite part of PAX, you should all come.

Top Bottom