• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pence supports Trump's Charlottesville comments

UberTag

Most of these Republicans agree with Trump on everything he's said this week.
They just have the common sense to not say it out loud.
When you hear them admonishing his actions on camera and in interviews this week... THAT is what they're decrying.
They don't disapprove of his racism. They disapprove of him broadcasting his racism in a blatant fashion that makes it more difficult for them to be racist in an underhanded fashion.

So impeachment won't really help us much. We are fucked either way.
Your entire system is fucked.

Your government. Your media. Your courts. Your education system. Your police force. They are all broken and corrupt beyond repair.

So yeah... you're pretty much fucked. Sorry about that. Better luck next country.

On the bright side, Pence isn't liable to nuke anyone. He won't be as likely to bow down to Putin. And he'll have a hell of a time getting properly elected given that he has little to no public presence or charisma whatsoever. So there are still some inherent benefits. But he's not a decent human being. Very few of these people are.

Still pretty dumb, should have said nothing unless he has no plans post office.

I kind of wonder if he's still overcompensating for those rumors that he's running in 2020. When those rumors were flying like a week or two ago, it was almost comical the extent he was going to to deny the rumors. http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/07/politics/mike-pence-2020/index.html

In reaction to the story, Pence -- and this is no exaggeration -- went bananas. He released a statement through the vice president's office insisting that the Times story was "disgraceful and offensive to me, my family, and our entire team." He also called it "laughable and absurd" that he was doing anything in regard to 2020 other than working to ensure Trump wins a second term.

I think that article gives the wrong impression. Watch the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1enMBaZ1mU.

Pence isn't going to call out the President. He dodges the reporter's question of whether he agrees with the president's more odious comments. It's not a statement in support of them. He's basically trying to pretend that trainwreck never happened. His own statements on it have been perfectly fine and "presidential".

Here's the WaPo take on it:

Pence says he stands with Trump but did not defend president's ‘both sides' comments on Charlottesville

SANTIAGO, Chile — Vice President Pence says he is standing by President Trump in the aftermath of deadly violence at a white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, but he declined Wednesday to defend the president's statement from the day before that ”both sides" were to blame.

Asked at a news conference whether he agreed with Trump that there were good people among the white supremacist demonstrators, and that there was blame to be had on both sides, Pence largely sidestepped the question.

”What happened in Charlottesville was a tragedy, and the president has been clear on this tragedy and so have I," Pence said. ”I spoke at length about this heartbreaking situation on Sunday night in Colombia, and I stand with the president, and I stand by those words."

Pence also was asked and would not comment about Trump's off-the-cuff comparison of Confederate generals Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson with Founding Fathers George Washington and Thomas Jefferson, the first and third U.S. presidents.

On Sunday night in Cartagena, the Colombian port city where he opened his week-long trip to Latin America, Pence was asked about Trump's initial response to the Charlottesville violence. The vice president was far more forceful in his denunciation that evening than was his boss on Saturday.

With Trump drawing intense criticism for failing to single out white supremacists following Saturday's events, Pence told reporters in Cartagena: ”We have no tolerance for hate and violence, from white supremacists, neo-Nazis or the KKK. These dangerous fringe groups have no place in American public life."

This is why I don't get the "impeach Trump" noise. Were only gonna get Pence. He's more dangerous. He's more personable and maniacal yet has a better temperament than Trump while he's just as vile.

This is why I don't get the "impeach Trump" noise. Were only gonna get Pence. He's more dangerous. He's more personable and maniacal yet has a better temperament than Trump while he's just as vile.

Do you think a Post-Trump Impeachment Pence would be a particularly effective president?

pence is trying to set up this absurd balance where the Trump guys like him, the nazis like him, the evangelicals like him, the GOP establishment feels like he's completely on message and on policy and safe, and he's completely unimplicated in the Russia investigation, all while not being convincingly an actual person.

like good fuckin luck dude. seriously.

I'm not sure I buy the idea that Pence would get things done if he were President.

Even when he's not in the spotlight he's a fuckup and a shitheap.

Steel

Banned
Pence is shit. There was a time where I thought he was a worse piece of shit than Trump on the relative scale of things(Trump being maggot filled shit and Pence being a pile of elephant shit mixed with rotting meat and maggots) because on a lot of issues Trump seemed apathetic rather than zealous, but time has proven that wrong.

If Dems capture the house in 2018, it'd be President Pelosi. :)

Does anyone in this thread understand how impeachment works? Bill Clinton got impeached. That just means the house of reps passed a "we think this guy fucked up" resolution. Then the SENATE has to try the impeachment in a trial and the indicted party is only convicted if TWO THIRDS of the senate convict. That means 67 senators would have to impeach both Trump and Pence.

Even if the democrats win in a massive tidal wave, which itself is highly unlikely, there are only 8 REPUBLICAN seats up for election in 2018. There are TWENTY THREE (and 2 indie) democratic senate seats up for re-election. Its what, 48-52 (D-R) right now, if democrats won every single seat (UNLIKELY) they would be still 60-40, and would need 7 republican senators to cross the aisle.

Sheesh, might as well say "well, what if aliens land and decide to reverse time on Earth so everyone goes back to Nov 7th, 2016 but has all the memories from 2017 intact".

The much more possible and vastly more frightening scenario is republicans actually INCREASE their hold on the senate, to the point where they could actually pass legislation without being filibustered by democrats. If they had enough seats, they could actually start constitutional amendments even.

Top Bottom