• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Yorker: Trump, joking about Pence on gays: “he wants to hang them all!“

Trump has the darkest, most inappropriate sense of humor.

Which is to say, he makes "jokes" that are actually the most cynical possible read of a given situation (and probably true).

It's a window onto how he thinks about the world: he's paranoid and assumes the worst of everybody.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
The sad thing is there a pretty large part of the US who doesn't think Pence is wrong.

Sad.. and scary.

Grizzo

And another thing, what kind of President jokes about someone hanging gay people? THIS IS NOT NORMAL! ABORT! IMPEACH!

As a gay man myself this infuriates me.

Ditto. This makes me sick.

Wasn't Pence in favor of conversion therapy to turn gay people into straight ones? This world is scary.

old

Why I’m not so sure impeachment is a good idea. Trump deserves it for sure. But putting Pence in power could make things worse.

In a better world impeachment would kick out both the President and the Vice President.

Why I’m not so sure impeachment is a good idea. Trump deserves it for sure. But putting Pence in power could make things worse.

In a better world impeachment would kick out both the President and the Vice President.

Pence is already in power. A Trump impeachment would be a complete shit storm that would leave Pence as a lame duck with splintered support.

Why I'm not so sure impeachment is a good idea. Trump deserves it for sure. But putting Pence in power could make things worse.

The political ramifications of impeachment would likely mean the GOP lose the next presidential election and see their agenda decimated, but unless Pence is somehow implicated in one of the bubbling scandals around Trump, there's no easy way of getting rid of him.

Spoo

I've personally maintained that getting rid of Trump poses its own threats. Right now it seems like hatred towards Trump is fueling a lot of the positive and progressive views that can put democrats in power -- if we lose that, replace it with a diet racist scumbag like Pence, do we also lose that progressive edge leading to *another* defeat when elections come back around?

A concern I have anyway. Right now, getting rid of Trump is important, but if enough people see Pence as a "reasonable" guy in contrast, that has its own dangers.

Beartruck

Pence is already in power. A Trump impeachment would be a complete shit storm that would leave Pence as a lame duck with splintered support.
Yup. Like it or not, Pence is already implementing every anti-lgbt policy he can. Throwing out mr. "Why can't I nuke people?" and splintering the party is our best hope.

conpfreak

The political ramifications of impeachment would likely mean the GOP lose the next presidential election and see their agenda decimated, but unless Pence is somehow implicated in one of the bubbling scandals around Trump, there's no easy way of getting rid of him.

I know it's a long shot, but Democrats somehow need to gain control of the Senate to keep toxic bills from just swimming to a President Pence's desk if impeachment actually happened. I think that would at least be bearable for two years.

Severance

It's a tasteless joke and all, but I'm sure those are Pence's private views in conversations. I bet he would hang them all. It's kinda funny that Trump attempts to openly mock him. On the other hand.. Trump chose him to be VP, loves him and supports him. I'm sure Trump quietly jokes to himself that even if he gets impeached, the nation is stuck with Pence. The joke is on America. Trump is selfish, childish and will sell out America for a quick buck. But Pence is pure evil...

I feel like most people are overlooking the point of the excerpt, which is not "Trump casually endorses the genocide of LGBT Americans" but "Trump holds the religious views of his VP, and by extension the views of the evangelical activists who power the GOP base, in contempt, even as he cynically reaps the benefits of their activism and connections."

In which case, Trump's comment is another expression of his tendency to say the quiet part loud. At any rate I can't imagine a President Pence being any worse on LGBT rights than Trump, as Trump has already outsourced those policies to Pence anyway.

KillLaCam

Banned
Not sure if he was joking or being a moron this time. I think he was calling Pence extreme in his weird Trump way of speech.

SilentRob

I'm just imagining a news report on Merkel joking that Vice Chancellor Gabriel would want to hang all homosexuals and what the reaction of the general public would be. Every political party, probably even the Nazis of the AfD, would distance themselves and call for their resignation, there would be non stop, country-wide protests, it would be political pandemonium.

The lethargy with which US politicans and, more importantly, the US population reads these news and just goes "Eh. Gotta wait till the next election!" is staggering to me.

In a lot of countries a remark like this would be a reason for a vote of no-confidence and new elections. In the US it is just another day.

Aselith

What an awesome joke. He wants to kill a lot of people hahah! He hates them because they aren't like him lol

What a cut up.
Go fuck yourself, Trump. Go fuck youself, Pence.

This is something that anyone, regardless of position, shouldn't be "joking" about and yet the president and vice president get to say stuff like this without punishment.

I am about 100% sure Pence is a closeted homosexual.

Very possible since republican politicians who are self-loathing homosexuals aren't unheard of.

Top Bottom