• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pence says Roe v Wade will be overturned if Trump wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

http://www.latimes.com/nation/polit...-roe-v-wade-will-be-1469737388-htmlstory.html

GOP vice presidential nominee Mike Pence on Thursday predicted Roe vs. Wade, the landmark Supreme Court ruling that legalized abortion, would be overturned if Donald Trump is elected president.

“I’m pro-life and I don’t apologize for it,” he said during a town hall meeting here. “We’ll see Roe vs. Wade consigned to the ash heap of history where it belongs.”

The comments — made in a conservative stronghold that strongly supported Texas Sen. Ted Cruz over Trump in the Michigan primary — were part of a broader argument Pence has been making on the stakes of the election: Voters need to consider that the next president will likely select multiple Supreme Court justices.

Even if Trump wins, I can't see this happening personally. But I'm sure Pence's comments will energize voters against Trump.

A photo of the White House redesign after Trump wins.

The%2Bheadquarters%2Bof%2BMussolini%2527s%2BItalian%2BFascist%2BParty%252C%2B1934.jpg

Redd

This Pence guy seems like a real dick. Gives no fucks what the women wants only what he wants. Fuck Pence.

Grym

Yeah... through SCOTUS appointments. Definitely gonna be a huge swing for the court one way or the other this election

entremet

Yeah... through SCOTUS appointments. Definitely gonna be a huge swing for the court one way or the other this election
I can't see Roberts and Kennedy voting to overturn it.

Right now up to three seats are on the line in the next four years.

Scalia's old seat.
Thomas has hinted at retirement.
Ginsburg has mentioned retirement as well.

takriel

“We’ll see Roe vs. Wade consigned to the ash heap of history where it belongs.”

Replace Roe vs. Wade with Pence and Trump and I agree.

Diablos

The next President will likely appoint 2-4 Supreme Court Justices in their first term. This will basically permanently shape the court for 30-40 years. If Trump gets in his legacy will be defined largely in part by an ultra conservative SCOTUS that will not hesitate to overturn Roe v. Wade.

greepoman

For those saying it won't happen... is it really that far out of the realm of possibility? If Trump can appoint 2-3 ultra conservative justices then all bets are off.

I thought this was one of the few things Trump always differed with the majority of Republicans on. I swore he was Pro Choice..

Slayven

Fun fact, Kaine is personally Pro Life, but votes with Planned Parenthood.

GOP is going to have to have a reckoning, they don't want birth control, don't want abortions, don't want to pre natal programs, or safety nets. They just want the birth. How can they live with being so ain't shit?

Grym

Scalia's old seat.

I honestly can't either...yet. But I could see an erosion of it and momentum beginning to go the other way. Regardless of abortion, 3 young Scalia-type justices on the court is my personal nightmare in regard to other issues.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I know some hardcore republicans that have had abortions in the past, and this would probably be a big enough deal to them to make them think twice. Funny. All the other stuff wouldn't. This though, maybe.

I know some hardcore republicans that have had abortions in the past, and this would probably be a big enough deal to them to make them think twice. Funny. All the other stuff wouldn't. This though, maybe.

nah, it should be illegal for others but they can do it.

Scalia's old seat.

Robert's may want to keep Roe v Wade but he already voted to uphold the Texas abortion law that would make actually getting abortion nearly impossible. If Trump gets to replace Scalia and then any of Ginsburg, Breyer, or Kennedy retire, abortion would shortly stop being an option for tens of millions of women.

Krammy

But sure, vote 3rd party. Both candidates are awful after all.

I get where you're coming from (frustrated that third party voters may swing the election in Trump's favour), but this seems like a really idiotic point of view to take. People who probably wouldn't vote otherwise are the ones who will likely vote for a third party candidate. At least voting for a third party shows that they are statistically interested in voting, but also allows them to throw away their vote as they likely would otherwise.

It also has nothing to do with the topic at hand, which is Pence making some disgusting comments.

I get where you're coming from (frustrated that third party voters may swing the election in Trump's favour), but this seems like a really idiotic point of view to take. People who probably wouldn't vote otherwise are the ones who will likely vote for a third party candidate. At least voting for a third party shows that they are statistically interested in voting, but also allows them to throw away their vote as they likely would otherwise.

It also has nothing to do with the topic at hand, which is Pence making some disgusting comments.

That's like saying "at least they're eating" in regards to a picky kid popping animal-safe packing peanuts. Sure, they're doing something... but are they though?

It may be true that many 3rd party voters wouldn't otherwise vote, but that doesn't mean they're immune to being called out on wasted idealism, particularly in the case where one of the two main candidates is objectively harmful to large swaths of Americans. Even more so when they falsely claim an equivalency between the two candidates, and even more for those who seem to understand just how damaging a Trump presidency could be, but want to waste their vote because the other person isn't their fairy tale prince.

And nah, it is related to the topic at hand. Pence represents Trump and this is yet another completely awful thing to tack onto his completely awful platform, and with people (see: that other thread currently going) going on about their 3rd party choices because "both candidates suck or something", it's worth pointing that out. Because this is yet another massive difference, and another massive hole in that bullshit stance.

I was going to create a topic devoted to this, but entremet beat me to it. I was just at Free Republic to see what the general consensus was on this development and wouldn't you know, they're treating it like Bedlam. Everyone there is going ballistic. Lots of gems, but this one's a real keeper:

To: Extremely Extreme Extremist
“From a political perspective, abortion was fine in this nation until black robes ruined it and turned it into the divisive issue that it is now.”

I might be taking it out of context, so forgive me if that is the case, but Abortion was never “fine”. You give an inch and they take a mile.

Double down! Call for imprisonment and first degree sentencing for murdering “doctors” and accomplice “mothers”. Meet somewhere in the middle — “doctors” get 20 years with the possibility for parole after 10 years and “mothers” get life with the possibility of parole after menopause.

As disgusting as that last part is, it is kind of the logical stance to take when you consider that they view abortion as murder. But geez!

And to the person who says they doubt that Roberts would not vote to overturn, can you back that up? Because his previous rulings related to this issue has always sided with the conservative majority.

Cheebo

Banned
Yeah but Hillary and Tump both suck so I am not voting/voting third party. /s

Sadly many including here say that unsarcastically will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom