• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pence says Roe v Wade will be overturned if Trump wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm about to go-in on this on my Facebook. I never post about politics, but this is a smoking gun of "how the fuck can you vote for Trump/Pence?" to me.

This needs to be spammed everywhere. Absolutely everywhere. It's insane and completely unacceptable. It's a risk to the health of women throughout the country and will absolutely disproportionately impact the low and middle class groups of women.

Brinbe

Pence would effectively be the President and have free reign to implement the GOP's highly regressive platform. For all of Trump's bluster, that's what we're running against in the end. This is the culture wars all over again.

Yeah but Hillary and Tump both suck so I am not voting/voting third party. /s

Sadly many including here say that unsarcastically will.

I wonder if these people were old enough to have voted in 2000. Is the memory of Florida not seared into their memory? Did Ralph Nader not happen:-/

Fun fact, Kaine is personally Pro Life, but votes with Planned Parenthood.

GOP is going to have to have a reckoning, they don't want birth control, don't want abortions, don't want to pre natal programs, or safety nets. They just want the birth. How can they live with being so ain't shit?
If the democrats were politically pro life (rather than "personally pro life" which is the same as pro choice), pro life voters would have the option to vote for candidates who want all of those things - safety net, prenatal programs, and stricter regulations. In the 70s there were a lot of pro life Dems (even Ted Kennedy was pro-life) but they have been driven out of the party into the arms of the republicans, or switched their position, by the Planned Parenthood/NARAL lobby and Democratic primary voters.

Fun fact, Roe v Wade was almost overturned in 1992 and then Anthony Kennedy switched his vote. Since the right to abortion is nowhere in the text of the constitution, and there's never been a large consensus in favor of abortion in this country to pass a constitutional amendment declaring it one (public opinion is split about 50-50 with variations over the years), this right can be revoked whenever one side manages to appoint enough SCOTUS justices.

DedValve

Banned
I know some hardcore republicans that have had abortions in the past, and this would probably be a big enough deal to them to make them think twice. Funny. All the other stuff wouldn't. This though, maybe.

If your rich enough backdoor abortions are easy to get.

I cannot believe this comment. Like I actually cannot believe. Every day my opinion of the republican party and its members being evil seeming less and less hyperbolic (it never was hyperbolic in the first place, just absolute objective fact).

What will it take for the general members of the party to be disillusioned with this evil mans quest?

They'd do more equally heinous things that take away the rights of women, minorities, of young gay and trans people. They'd do it all, happily, in the name of "religious expression."

But don't TAKE THEIR GUNS

I cannot believe this comment. Like I actually cannot believe. Every day my opinion of the republican party and its members being evil seeming less and less hyperbolic (it never was hyperbolic in the first place, just absolute objective fact).

What will it take for the general members of the party to be disillusioned with this evil mans quest?

No need for a backdoor abortion, just go to Canada where it's legal and safe.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children

They're not rich. The example I was thinking of was single dad with two 21-24 year old daughters living in the house. The dad deliver's pizza, the two girls are servers.

DedValve

Banned
They're not rich. The example I was thinking of was single dad with two 21-24 year old daughters living in the house. The dad deliver's pizza, the two girls are servers.

I've often find republicans would actually sleep in a bed of shit if it meant "lesser" folks slept in a bed of aids infested shit & malaria.

Kaine is going to look like a saint next to this guy.

Very important in this election about principals where we have Kaine, who himself doesn't personally believe in abortions, still believes in a woman's right to choose and has the record to prove it.

Goodstyle

I'd like to say that this should motivate Bernie or Busters to go out and vote, but I doubt they cared all that much about this issue if they were going to be so stubborn in the first place.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg is 83.
Steven Breyer is 78.

Assuming that Trump wins this election, he'll be able to appoint replacements for them, as well as Scalia's seat.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I've often find republicans would actually sleep in a bed of shit if it meant "lesser" folks slept in a bed of aids infested shit & malaria.

I don't think it's that, they're like actually afraid that ISIS could possibly hurt them in the near future. Along with other things.

There are different reasons to vote repub besides hating minorities (which is indisputably a reason for some) Even if they're not always even logical reasons.

Thomas might retire as well. Though he would probably stay of Clinton wins.

Yeah, the Supreme Court has gotten so divisive that it's almost become an unspoken formality that justice retire with the confidence that they'll be replaced by a successor of the same ideological stripe. Scalia was probably holding out with the hopes of a republican winning this election. As for RBG not retiring.... one only needs to look at the fiasco that's going on with Merrick Garland to realize why she didn't want to step down. But if Clinton does win, I do hope that both she and Breyer do step down sometime during Hillary's first term. But we're going to need to win the senate for that to happen.

:::fingers crossed:::

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
You all do realize there are a ton of women who are against it, too, right?

Yeah this is definitely not a slam dunk issue to use. Sure it will energize those that are pro-choice but it will do the same for the pro-lifers. Iirc those in support of pro-choice have been on the decline the last few years.

fake edit:

Yeah.. pro-choice support has fallen several points among both men and women according to this. In 2001-2008 pro-choice support was 48/49 by men/women. In 2012 it dropped to 43/45.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/154946/non-christians-postgrads-highly-pro-choice.aspx

Ron Mexico

I love how there's this assumption that if they outlaw it, abortions would just suddenly come to a halt.

Even if you were to be staunchly opposed to abortion in theory, the practice is going to continue. You can either do it safely and securely or you can encourage people to go to back channels. Idiocy.

I'm not shy of being a fiscal conservative but nonsense like this will keep me from ever supporting the GOP beyond the most local (i.e. township committee) levels.

gaiages

Banned
I don't think it's that, they're like actually afraid that ISIS could possibly hurt them in the near future. Along with other things.

There are different reasons to vote repub besides hating minorities (which is indisputably a reason for some) Even if they're not always even logical reasons.

The thing is, there is a huge difference nowadays between being right leaning and being a Republican. You can not agree with the left on some issues, but Republicans have gone SO FAR to the right that the leaders are downright insane.

Whether or not those people are talking about are just right leaning people or full blown Republicans, I dunno.

Exactly. It won't and they know it, but it's a play to rally the base of pro-life voters who may be anti-Trump.

They're trying to do the Hail Mary fetal pass once again. I hope this becomes viral. They play this fucking card to their neanderthal base every time and backpedal when it inconveniences them.

So they are just trying to actively lose now? Fine with me. Especially good timing the day after the first female major party nominee makes her big speech.

I love how there's this assumption that if they outlaw it, abortions would just suddenly come to a halt.

Even if you were to be staunchly opposed to abortion in theory, the practice is going to continue. You can either do it safely and securely or you can encourage people to go to back channels. Idiocy.

I'm not shy of being a fiscal conservative but nonsense like this will keep me from ever supporting the GOP beyond the most local (i.e. township committee) levels.

I mean, i'm against outlawing abortion but this is not the right argument to make right? This is the equivalent argument against gun control.

LifEndz

It's like they're screaming "Don't elect us!" Treason, espionage, and now this all in the span of a week.

If I remember correctly the Republicans said the same thing in 2000 and then held the presidency, Congress and the Supreme Court for six years without mentioning overturning Roe v Wade once.

They have no real interest in doing this in reality as it's the perpetual carrot on a stick for their misguided religious conservative base.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

A lot of the extreme religious people who want it to be illegal relish the prospect of being able to criminalize "immoral" women. They know it's not going to stop abortion, but they consider it a good thing to put abortion in back alleys like the "sin" it is.

That it would hurt women is also a good thing, because these kinds of religious people want to see "sinners"suffer. Pence advocates homosexual conversion torture as well.

If I remember correctly the Republicans said the same thing in 2000 and then held the presidency, Congress and the Supreme Court for six years without mentioning overturning Roe v Wade once.

They have no real interest in doing this in reality as it's the perpetual carrot on a stick for their misguided religious conservative base.
They only had 4 votes on the Supreme Court. Kennedy is republican but already voted for the right to abortion in 1992.

The GOP passed the partial birth abortion ban which was basically a legal test case, it had been previously ruled unconstitutional and the new GOP justices ruled it legal, with Kennedy's support.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I actually dislike Pence more than I do Trump.

Trump is all about the show. He's a total nut that will say or do anything for attention. He doesn't actually mean half of the shit he says – not that that makes him any less dangerous. What he "stands for" changes moment by moment to align with what is in his own self-interest.

Pence is a prick who believes the ultra conservative shit he spews.

They only had 4 votes on the Supreme Court. Kennedy is republican but already voted for the right to abortion in 1992.

The GOP passed the partial birth abortion ban which was basically a legal test case, it had been previously ruled unconstitutional and the new GOP justices ruled it legal, with Kennedy's support.
Do you disagree that it seemed to diminish as an issue during those years? Because I certainly remember asking my Republican friends at the time why they were still up in arms about abortion being the law of the land when their elected officials seemed to have forgotten about it.

Ron Mexico

I mean, i'm against outlawing abortion but this is not the right argument to make right? This is the equivalent argument against gun control.

Apples and oranges to me. That said, my political views don't fall neatly into "R" or "D" so take that for what its worth. Not every issue has to fit the exact same narrative and they're not somehow inextricably linked.

A lot of the extreme religious people who want it to be illegal relish the prospect of being able to criminalize "immoral" women. They know it's not going to stop abortion, but they consider it a good thing to put abortion in back alleys like the "sin" it is.

That it would hurt women is also a good thing, because these kinds of religious people want to see "sinners"suffer. Pence advocates homosexual conversion torture as well.

Well said.

Remember when Trump said he would "punish" women for having abortions if he was able to make it illegal? Man, there is a diamond mine of material Clinton/Kaine are going to be able to access in the debates. It's going to be wonderful.

Derwind

I keep telling myself there are no surprises left with far right conservative politicIans.

Then this shit happens.

Do you disagree that it seemed to diminish as an issue during those years? Because I certainly remember asking my Republican friends at the time why they were still up in arms about abortion being the law of the land when their elected officials seemed to have forgotten about it.
What do you expect that their elected officials could do about it?

GWB had already brought back the Mexico City Policy abolished by Clinton, the republicans passed a nationwide ban on one form of abortion, state legislatures controlled by the GOP passed legislation that was allowed under current Supreme Court precedent, and GWB appointed two justices whose appointments were controversies due to whether they might overturn Roe v Wade.

Under Supreme Court precedent, there wasn't much else to do. Are you complaining that the republicans didn't try to pass a FDR-style court packing law to appoint more than 9 to the SCOTUS? Considering even FDR couldn't get that through his congress, there's no way the GOP could. Several of the GOP senators were also pro-choice at the time too (Murkowski and both senators from Maine, I think).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom