• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People believe the earth is flat

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoreu

gmIkoPP.gif
What the actual fuck

I have no answer to that.

Google "real satellites from space."

There's supposed to be 1,500 - 20,000 satellites in orbit, yet one of the pictures the Deathstar! :p

Most of this things are supposed to be in low orbit, yet all the pics we get are far from earth.

If the mars-rover can take a selfie, why can't a satellite do the same?

There are some very high orbit satellites, those are the ones looking at Earth.

Jzero

Why are people even paying attention to caffeware? He can't even spell.

Edit: wait, he's trolling? Shit, that's god tier trolling right there.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Can someone summarize for me the "conspiracy" bit? That is to say, how they account for:

1. Hundreds of years of international cooperation to keep it secret (and why?)

2. Why no flat earther has ever sailed or flown to prove it.

Tubobutts

Can someone summarize for me the "conspiracy" bit? That is to say, how they account for:

From what I can understand it's along the lines of "something, something, the Jews"

caffeware

Banned
Explain this, flat earthers.

SUXJKrP.gif

The earth is a cylinder?

Do you realize that in history, the globe model is very recent and only accounts for the last 500 years of so? What's 500 years in the big picture?

This is a new trend, like wearing your pants backwards. Sure, it was cool for a while. It even made you popular with the girls. But now its passe, and we have to go back to shirts and tie. Because, that's classy; that's reality.

Science hit a roadblock. They can't harmonize the sciences of the big and the small. Now they are talking about parallel realities like its nothing.

Thing about it: what about if you are in a parallel reality were the earth is flat? According to modern science that's a possibility. So am I right?

Sail where? Artantica is highly guarded by governments around the world.

Addi

This is the stupidest thing I've read in a looong time (after the all shit Trump says of course, nothing can top that). Conspiracies like this always end up in a "the government did it" narrative, also known as the almighty government fallacy. Basically, it's impossible for anyone to be as powerful as conspiracy theories claim them to be. It's a form of religion, a way of coping with chaos and things they don't understand by giving them one size fits all type of answers ("lone wolf mass shooting? nah, Israel and the CiA are trying to fool us).

Do you realize that in history, the globe model is very recent and only accounts for the last 500 years of so? What's 500 years in the big picture?

This is a new trend, like wearing your pants backwards. Sure, it was cool for a while. It even made you popular with the girls. But now its passe, and we have to go back to shirts and tie. Because, that's classy; that's reality.

Science hit a roadblock. They can't harmonize the sciences of the big and the small. Now they are talking about parallel realities like its nothing.

Thing about it: what about if you are in a parallel reality were the earth is flat? According to modern science that's a possibility. So am I right?

Sail where? Antarctica is highly guarded by governments around the world.

The Earth was determined to be spherical 2500 years ago. There's a Farnese Atlas which is a spherical representation of the Earth dated to the 2nd century.
This is from about 2300 years ago.
Aristotle said:
Every portion of the Earth tends toward the center until by compression and convergence they form a sphere
Travelers going south see southern constellations rise higher above the horizon; and
The shadow of Earth on the Moon during a lunar eclipse is round.

Antarctica is not highly guarded. You can go there if you want.

What is the point of the world being flat? You think there's trillions of dollars going into convincing people the world is spherical?

My mom just said to me "it's just their opinion. Isn't it so funny that, hundreds of years ago, people laughed when they said the Earth was round?"

My mom just said to me "it's just their opinion. Isn't it so funny that, hundreds of years ago, people laughed when they said the Earth was round?"

There's a pervasive myth, particularly in the US that the world was thought to be flat until Christopher Columbus. This myth started in the US (as far as I can tell) in the 1800's. "Christopher Columbus was taking a great risk, because if he was wrong he would end up falling off the Earth."

The reality is, most people knew the Earth was spherical for well over 1000 years. And it was first known over 2000 years ago.

gohepcat

Banned
The earth is a cylinder?

I can't even to begin to fathom the amount of time you have waisted entertaining this idea.

This pseudo-intellectual garbage makes my skin crawl. To couch it in any sort of scientific reasoning is even more offensive.

This "hey man I'm just asking questions" shit has got to stop.

Taramoor

There's a pervasive myth, particularly in the US that the world was thought to be flat until Christopher Columbus. This myth started in the US (as far as I can tell) in the 1800's. "Christopher Columbus was taking a great risk, because if he was wrong he would end up falling off the Earth."

The reality is, most people knew the Earth was spherical for well over 1000 years. And it was first known over 2000 years ago.

To be fair, being the country that brought people out of their ignorant superstitious nonsense feels pretty awesome.

caffeware

Banned
The Earth was determined to be spherical 2500 years ago. There's a Farnese Atlas which is a spherical representation of the Earth dated to the 2nd century.
This is from about 2300 years ago.

Tell that to Galileo.

Remember, most of the western civilization was ruled by the church for the longest time. The world version of the bible is flat.

And it was not until the Apollo missions that the roundness of the earth could be visually confirmed.

Of course, the Apollo mission are fake.

Tell me more about this version of the sun, caffeware..

The sun is much closer and much smaller that in the globe model. It revolves around the earth, and changes radius creating in turn the seasons.

The moon does in similar fashion. The moons also emits its own light. This light is somewhat cold unlike the sun's.

Look at this:

img_8221.jpeg

img_7263.jpeg

Or this video:

https://youtu.be/hlJmBe1eeQA?t=2m22s

How is possible for an object so massive to emit light in a 'regional fashion' creating therefore "sun spots."

Shouldn't all sun rays come in the same direction/angle considering the size difference and the distance?

images

Tell that to Galileo.

Remember, most of the western civilization was ruled by the church for the longest time. The world version of the bible is flat.

And it was not until the Apollo missions that the roundness of the earth could be visually confirmed.

No.
Galileo and the people of his time knew the Earth was round. The thing that Galileo got in trouble for was Heliocentrism. It was an argument about whether the universe was the one on the top or the bottom.

It was well established by Galileo's time that the Earth was spherical.
You can read the freaking book by the man himself.
https://books.google.com/books?id=c...NAhVH6mMKHRdPBGMQ6AEIJzAB#v=onepage&q&f=false

Aristotle understood that the Earth was spherical, as you recall from my previous post.
And much of Aristotelian thought was brought into Christianity even at times when it comes at apparent contradiction with the bible by this man https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Aquinas
in the 13th century.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermann_of_Reichenau
A Christian from the 11th century (~1040) estimated the circumference of the Earth.

aliengmr

How is possible for an object so massive to emit light in a 'regional fashion' creating therefore "sun spots."

Shouldn't all sun rays come in the same direction/angle considering the size difference and the distance?

images

Same reason we believe all sorts of nonsense, we don't understand what it is we are seeing. It a matter of perspective.

Crepuscular rays

vivftp

The sun is much closer and much smaller that in the globe model. It revolves around the earth, and changes radius creating in turn the seasons.

The moon does in similar fashion. The moons also emits its own light. This light is somewhat cold unlike the sun's.

Look at this:

img_8221.jpeg

img_7263.jpeg

Or this video:

images

Educate yourself son, you need some perspective

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNYd5PV77hs

The Beard

Look at this:

img_8221.jpeg

img_7263.jpeg

Or this video:

images

The moon emits its own light? How does a crescent moon exist then? We can see a sliver of the moon that is lit up (from the sun) in the sky, but the majority of it is black. What about a new moon?

Your light ray argument makes no goddamn sense. Lol

caffeware

Banned
Educate yourself son, you need some perspective

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNYd5PV77hs

Same reason we believe all sorts of nonsense, we don't understand what it is we are seeing. It a matter of perspective.

Crepuscular rays

How does this work for the video?

No.
Galileo and the people of his time knew the Earth was round. The thing that Galileo got in trouble for was Heliocentrism. It was an argument about whether the universe was the one on the top or the bottom.

It was well established by Galileo's time that the Earth was spherical.
You can read the freaking book by the man himself.

2000px-Geoz_wb_en.svg.png

How does this make any sense. you just swap the sun and earth and call it a day?

There's no way to proof that the round earth they talk about in ancient times is the same concept as today. Today's version go hand in hand with gravity, and as we know gravity came later.

How do you know they were not talking about The Dome?

Also, there's a lot of rewriting of history by modern scholars. Nobody wants to think our grand parents were "stupid".

Nozem

Tell that to Galileo.

Look at this:

img_8221.jpeg

img_7263.jpeg

Or this video:

images

x1RXEyL.jpg

This guy is trolling you all btw

niccageyoudontsay.jpg

stilgar

This is a Yacht race organized from France every four years. The best sailors compete.

7754400190_le-parcours-du-vendee-globe-2012.jpg

...I guess they're all in the conspiracy or something

ramparter

Banned
I honestly think that the actual believers are the kind of people who wouldnt even go to the super market alone, perceive the world through tv and internet and thus believe that everyone is lying to them.

Also I think that most people behind those arguments are trolls who dont really believe in flat earth but enjoy fooling other people.

I find this fascinating, despite seeing the obvious flaws and irrational thought. this is an amusing thread to say the least

I consider myself a scientist personally, but I am not here to argue, just take in the entertainment value

Of curse not.

What about people not believing in God?

I'm just giving an example. We should not judge. Some people believe/don't believe in things that others take for granted.

religion is mostly dealing with transcendence, ethic, philosophy and faith. despite some dark times, religious theologists tried to prove that their books are in unison with scientific achievements.

Cracklox

Oh goody! This thread again! The last one died off just after I found it.

I will wonder aloud, as I did in the last thread - What in the goddam-hell is supposed to be on the underside of our levitating disk?

Crispy75

Oh goody! This thread again! The last one died off just after I found it.

I will wonder aloud, as I did in the last thread - What in the goddam-hell is supposed to be on the underside of our levitating disk?

Not a disk, but an infinitely wide"slab" mostly covered with ice and darkness, except for the circular hole melted in it by our local sun. It is possible (but not proven) that there are other suns and other melt-holes. Some of these may contain other forms of life.

This slab is about 6,000km thick and completely bisects the cosmos, and there is probably an identical ice plain on the other side. This is purely hypothetical though, as we do not have the technology to tunnel through the slab to the other side.

According to the flat earth society
LXc85NY.jpg

A diskist lie! Slabism is the accepted model that best explains the observed facts.

IvanJ

Banned
So i've been hearing about this group called Flat Earth Society where they think the world is flat. They have some compelling arguments despite being ridiculous of course. I've heard a lot of crazy things but does anyone here believe the earth is really flat? I mean just looking at the moon will give you a good clue.

For a long time, I honestly thought it was a parody website/club. I just recently found out that those people are actually serious. But that is as far as I wanted to inform myself.
Let them believe what they want, as long as they are not hurting anybody, no problems.

gaugebozo

The earth is a cylinder?

The whole point of the parallel worlds theory is that anything that is possible happens in another world somewhere (note that this is not accepted by a majority of physicists, and may never be disproved). A flat earth happening naturally by starting the universe in some likely state then letting it run under the laws of physics is not possible. Just like no one expects dragons to pop out of the Sun. Flat objects don't naturally happen when large masses and gravity are involved.

Alienfan

For a long time, I honestly thought it was a parody website/club. I just recently found out that those people are actually serious. But that is as far as I wanted to inform myself.
Let them believe what they want, as long as they are not hurting anybody, no problems.

This thread is amazing, but you're right. At the end of the day, it's better than 99% of religions and about as believable as them :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom