• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People believe the earth is flat

Status
Not open for further replies.

caffeware

Banned
What's on the other side of the Ice Wall? White Walkers. Has GRRM been on the other side of the Ice Wall and Game of Thrones is just a chronicle of his journey?

Nobody knows. With the Antarctic Treaty of Antarctic Treaty 1959 Antarctic became highly guarded by government officials. Antarctica is officially off limits to civilians.

This whole flat Earth thing has got to be one of the dumbest things the internet has produced. I can only assume 90% of people are just going along with it as a joke. Have you heard of the Verrazano Bridge? I bet its in some conspiracy video, but its a bridge that had to be constructed with the curvature of the Earth in mind.

That bridge is only 2 miles. According to people here, 2 miles is not significant enough given the overall size of the earth. Why would they need to take that into account?

Avari

Most of the things you see here could be disproven. There are individual videos that can exolain why things happen like you see in the video.

I know a few people who are buying into the flat world crap. Part of the problem is it's really easy to find a lot of videos supporting such nonsense, but it seems far harder to find really good videos debunking all the various flat earth claims.

OraleeWey

I know a few people who are buying into the flat world crap. Part of the problem is it's really easy to find a lot of videos supporting such nonsense, but it seems far harder to find really good videos debunking all the various flat earth claims.

It basically comes down to not understanding. I know one person and he kept saying that, "well you never know, technology changes all the time, maybe one day it will get better and tell us the earth is a different shape".

I honestly didn't know what he meant by that. Can you create a camera that can better tell you that the earth is round?

Anyway, here's a video you can show them.

https://youtu.be/VNqNnUJVcVs

Jasup

Ooh. Sorry, I must've not gotten the memo.
No problem.

This is true. Many debunkers also fail to see the flat earther arguments and logic as is. The Vsauce video is good, but it builds its argument around how gravity would work on a flat earth. The problem is that quite a few flat earthers seem to believe that gravity isn't real. How do you counter that?

I really do watch a lot of flat earth and other crap "science" videos. It's always fun to find where the problems in the video are, and you can usually find them when the narrator says: "on a round earth we should see..." and "we could only see this if the world is flat"

OraleeWey

No problem.

This is true. Many debunkers also fail to see the flat earther arguments and logic as is. The Vsauce video is good, but it builds its argument around how gravity would work on a flat earth. The problem is that quite a few flat earthers seem to believe that gravity isn't real. How do you counter that?

I really do watch a lot of flat earth and other crap "science" videos. It's always fun to find where the problems in the video are, and you can usually find them when the narrator says: "on a round earth we should see..." and "we could only see this if the world is flat"

One way to help them "visualise" that the center of gravity is at the center of an object is by showing them this little trick or having them do it themselves.

https://youtu.be/jIMihpDmBpY?t=103

You can also show them this video below to help them "visualise" how mass distorts time and space and how 2 huge mass objects attract and orbit around each other. they have to keep in mind that this is a 3 dimensional depiction and it's just a visualisation. Of course the physics are a bit different in space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTY1Kje0yLg

I don't think anyone actually thinks the Earth is flat; I think people are just trolling for fun. I can easily look at other planets in our solar system with my telescope....and they are all round. Unless I'm somehow complicit in this conspiracy.

reckless

I don't think anyone actually thinks the Earth is flat; I think people are just trolling for fun. I can easily look at other planets in our solar system with my telescope....and they are all round. Unless I'm somehow complicit in this conspiracy.

There are true believers for everything. I bet most people are just trolling but not everyone.

The mind blowing thing about this is not all the wacky justifications for natural phenomena and observable physics...

...it's the insane level of conspiracy theory you must indulge in to believe 'they' somehow find this a secret worth protecting across generations and at tremendous cost. The people involved, the expense, the incomprehensible scale of the counter-intelligence operation and for what..?

Just... why? And who are 'they'..?

Yeah. Like, is it really that hard to believe that you were wrong?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I don't think they really believe this nonsense. They want to part of the fringe.
That, and it's fun to come up with semi-plausible explanations for a wacky preposition. Imagine Calvin's dad (of Calvin and Hobbes), but with more scientific knowledge. It's that mindset.
Speaking about editors of that Flat Earth Society website of course.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
The mind blowing thing about this is not all the wacky justifications for natural phenomena and observable physics...

...it's the insane level of conspiracy theory you must indulge in to believe 'they' somehow find this a secret worth protecting across generations and at tremendous cost. The people involved, the expense, the incomprehensible scale of the counter-intelligence operation and for what..?

Just... why? And who are 'they'..?

1c2uXYhh.jpg

The Beard

The real story is how sanctimonious people can be with something like this and yet continue to humor theism.

Not quite the same though.

One is blind faith.

The other is believing in some utter bullshit despite tons of scientific evidence that says otherwise, because conspiracy.

Ok, they are kind of similar.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

"I've heard that all sorts of bad things happen when you shoot yourself in the head, but I've never personally witnessed someone shooting themself in the head. What if shooting yourself in the head is good for you and there's a conspiracy to keep all but a few from enjoying its benefits? Oh, well... only one way to find out."

Crispy75

But it isn't an infinite plain that's absurd. And gravity wouldnt act downward everywhere. Its still measured at the center of an object. If earth was a disc, this is howmou would experience gravity, it would skew towards the center of a flat earth.

In the flat earth model, the world is an infinite plane of howling winds and ice, with the Earth (and maybe other inhabited realms?) as a "hole" in the ice under a rotating sun.

An infinite plane of finite thickness has gravity acting "downward"
http://worldbuilding.stackexchange.com/a/12443

In this model, the plane of the world would be as thick as the radius of the earth, and there should be a "flip side" to the cosmos, which is completely bisected by the world.

Interestingly, gravity would not reduce with altitude, as it does for "point source" gravity wells.

StoneFox

If the Earth is flat, why do the stars look different in Australia or South America versus Europe or North America? Wouldn't the sky look the same? :p

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So living on an enclosed flat plane is ridiculous, but living in a ball that's rotating at 1,040 mph, that's also moving at 30 km/
sec
, and moving along the whole galaxy is not?
Correct.

Your telling me that in human history the earth hasn't accelerated or decelerated even slightly?
Who said that?

What would be the consequences of even a slight change of speed in the globe model?
not much, because it's slight

large earthquakes have been known to change the length of earth's day slightly because they redistribute mass a little bit

For example:

His calculations indicate that by changing the distribution of Earth's mass, the Japanese earthquake should have caused Earth to rotate a bit faster, shortening the length of the day by about 1.8 microseconds (a microsecond is one millionth of a second).

The calculations also show the Japan quake should have shifted the position of Earth's figure axis (the axis about which Earth's mass is balanced) by about 17 centimeters (6.5 inches), towards 133 degrees east longitude. Earth's figure axis should not be confused with its north-south axis; they are offset by about 10 meters (about 33 feet).

So the same force that keep the water of the world in place in a spinning ball also allows birds to fly?
Birds fly because their wings generate lift, which is a physical force exerted by the surrounding air in a direction perpendicular to that of the wing's surface.

caffeware

Banned
Correct.

Who said that?

not much, because it's slight

large earthquakes have been known to change the length of earth's day slightly because they redistribute mass a little bit

For example:

His calculations indicate that by changing the distribution of Earth's mass, the Japanese earthquake should have caused Earth to rotate a bit faster, shortening the length of the day by about 1.8 microseconds (a microsecond is one millionth of a second).

The calculations also show the Japan quake should have shifted the position of Earth's figure axis (the axis about which Earth's mass is balanced) by about 17 centimeters (6.5 inches), towards 133 degrees east longitude. Earth's figure axis should not be confused with its north-south axis; they are offset by about 10 meters (about 33 feet).

Birds fly because their wings generate lift, which is a physical force exerted by the surrounding air in a direction perpendicular to that of the wing's surface.

Think about it this way. You on a bus at merely 80 miles an hour at constant speed and your standing. What happens if the driver puts on the brakes, even slightly?

I think you meant Lift not lift. You know ...

OraleeWey

In the flat earth model, the world is an infinite plane of howling winds and ice, with the Earth (and maybe other inhabited realms?) as a "hole" in the ice under a rotating sun.

An infinite plane of finite thickness has gravity acting "downward"
http://worldbuilding.stackexchange.com/a/12443

In this model, the plane of the world would be as thick as the radius of the earth, and there should be a "flip side" to the cosmos, which is completely bisected by the world.

Interestingly, gravity would not reduce with altitude, as it does for "point source" gravity wells.
If someone took you out into space to see Earth itself how would you feel when (hypothetically) you found out it was round?

Edit: this reply was meant for

Alexlf

Think about it this way. You on a bus at merely 80 miles an hour at constant speed and your standing. What happens if the driver puts on the brakes, even slightly?

If the driver puts on the breaks so that it reduces the speed by less than a millionth of a percent practically speaking nothing happens. You most certainly wouldn't feel anything.
I'm probably being trolled but oh well.

SaganIsGOAT

Hey caffeware what do you make of all those YouTube videos from every day people like yourself sending go pros high into the atmosphere that show the earth is round? Why don't you do that yourself? Oh wait, you'd rather live in a world of illusion I'm guessing. Remember everyone, people CANT be talked out of illusions. We would have to strap caffeware to a weather balloon so he could witness first hand the glory of our round planet. Or we could hold his hand, have him keep his eyes on a compass due west and walk around the planet in a straight line back to where we started. Idk but cmon dude you're acting a fool

So living on an enclosed flat plane is ridiculous, but living in a ball that's rotating at 1,040 mph, that's also moving at 30 km/
sec
, and moving along the whole galaxy is not?
Both are pretty incredible, but we have substantial evidence for one.

Gravity works for some things but not for others.
Ever heard of dark matter? You cant see it, or measure it, but must be there because otherwise the math doesn't add up.
We'll see how things end up working out.
There's still lots of things that we are still trying to figure out. Lots of things that we can't see because of our telescopes, etc.

So the same force that keep the water of the world in place in a spinning ball also allows birds to fly?
Gravity attracts objects, in Newtonian Physics, the force equivalent to it is a well recognized equation.

The reason that birds fly is because of lift. We can compare this to buoyancy in water, even though the mechanisms are different due to the properties of the fluid.
Basically if the force pushing you up is greater than the force pushing you down, you go up.

Completely depends on how greatly he pushes down on it.
If it's small enough, I won't notice and neither will you.

The Beard

Wut?

It'd be more like being on a jet, and the pilot decreased speed from 535 mph down to 534 mph. Except, percentage wise, even that'd be a greater decrease in speed than what the earth has experienced.

You wouldn't notice either one.

caffeware

Banned
Hey caffeware what do you make of all those YouTube videos from every day people like yourself sending go pros high into the atmosphere that show the earth is round? Why don't you do that yourself? Oh wait, you'd rather live in a world of illusion I'm guessing. Remember everyone, people CANT be talked out of illusions. We would have to strap caffeware to a weather balloon so he could witness first hand the glory of our round planet. Or we could hold his hand, have him keep his eyes on a compass due west and walk around the planet in a straight line back to where we started. Idk but cmon dude you're acting a fool

Go pros cameras have fish eye-lenses. You can see curvature from the beginning of the video with that camera.

Look at this on the other hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3KBpxyyaZk

But you cannot set foot on the land, can you? It's just a cruise. I would like to make a life goal of setting foot in all 7 continents but this is the only thing that is stopping me.

EDIT: Ok it seems there are expeditions on land!

You probably can go to the rim, but can you go far enough?
Who was the first man to circumnavigate the earth from pole to pole?

The reason that birds fly is because of lift. We can compare this to buoyancy in water, even though the mechanisms are different due to the properties of the fluid.
Basically if the force pushing you up is greater than the force pushing you down, you go up.

So birds can overcome the same force that keeps skyscraper 'upside down'?
images

Gravity sure is selective.

We'll see how things end up working out.
There's still lots of things that we are still trying to figure out. Lots of things that we can't see because of our telescopes, etc.

Agree.

If someone took you out into space to see Earth itself how would you feel when (hypothetically) you found out it was round?

Happy.

--------------------------------------------------------

Now, how about nasa take those telescopes that they use to see distant planets million of light years away, and shows us the remaining equipment of the Apollo missions on the moon?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nasa sure loves their cartoons.

caffeware

Banned
In his 2004 autobiography, My Life, states: "Just a month before, Apollo 11 astronauts Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong had left their colleague, Michael Collins, aboard spaceship Columbia and walked on the moon...The old carpenter asked me if I really believed it happened. I said sure, I saw it on television. He disagreed; he said that he didn't believe it for a minute, that 'them television fellers' could make things look real that weren't. Back then, I thought he was a crank. During my eight years in Washington, I saw some things on TV that made me wonder if he wasn't ahead of his time."

President Bill Clinton

images

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the creators of Gumby!

So birds can overcome the same force that keeps skyscraper 'upside down'?
images

Gravity sure is selective.
That's not how it works at all. There is no upside-down. Down is in whatever direction gravity is pulling in. The reason this seems counter-intuitive is because we deal with things on a very small scale. So it's understandable.
Gravity is what gives things weight. It's why you can step on a scale, and get some sort of measurement. This is because you are being pulled onto the scale, and the scale is pushing back on you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavendish_experiment

How do you explain the stars? People have spent 1000's of years watching the stars, tracking them, etc. The only explanation for the location of the stars is that the Earth is spherical.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard

You're not actually stupid enough to believe the Earth is flat, right?

caffeware

Banned

To tell you the truth, I never heard of this guy.

Cavendish’s greatest experiment was to calculate the weight of the earth. The apparatus used was constructed by another scientist, John Mitchell, who died before he could perform the experiment. The device consisted of a torsion balance to measure the gravitational attraction between two 350-pound lead spheres. The extrapolation of the result gave Cavendish what he believed was the earth’s mass. Twentieth Century research proves that Cavendish was accurate to within one percent. His work was later used to calculate Newton’s gravitational constant known as G.

To me the experiment seems bizzare anyway. How is it possible to do such an experiment in your backyard, like he supposedly did? Won't you need to be in a vacuum to measure such things?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rocket going to space.

blue-rocket-launch-0913.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're not actually stupid enough to believe the Earth is flat, right?
image.php

why not both?

To tell you the truth, I never heard of this guy.

To me the experiment seems bizzare anyway. How is it possible to do such an experiment in your backyard, like he supposedly did? Won't you need to be in a vacuum to measure such things?
That's not quite what he did.
To prevent air currents and temperature changes from interfering with the measurements, Cavendish placed the entire apparatus in a wooden box about 2 feet (0.61 m) thick, 10 feet (3.0 m) tall, and 10 feet (3.0 m) wide, all in a closed shed on his estate. Through two holes in the walls of the shed, Cavendish used telescopes to observe the movement of the torsion balance's horizontal rod.

Vol5

I have a close friend who's BF truly believes the earth is flat. Astonishing really. When she told me this I was in fits of laughter.

caffeware

Banned
That's not quite what he did.

I have no answer to that.

Caffeware, how do satellites work?

Like this one?

lego-sunbeam-satellite-space.jpg

Or this one?

SMOS_1514480b.jpg

Or this one?

DSCS_SatInSpaceLockheedMartin.jpg

Or this one?

Galileo_satellite_in_orbit_node_full_image_2.jpg

Google "real satellites from space."

There's supposed to be 1,500 - 20,000 satellites in orbit, yet one of the pictures the Deathstar! :p

Most of this things are supposed to be in low orbit, yet all the pics we get are far from earth.

If the mars-rover can take a selfie, why can't a satellite do the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom