• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PepsiCo releases Pepsi chicken flavored Lays potato chips in China

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davidion

There are lots of bizarre chip flavors in China. Larger supermarkets carry both local and international versions of Lays. The Chinese-targeted versions were cheaper and definitely didn't taste as good, even for the same flavors.

My personal favourite strange flavor would have to be a mushroom drink I saw in Shanghai.

Jew-Ear-Juice.jpg

Well shit, Black Wooden Ear (the direct translation) is a pretty common food in China. I did NOT know its name in English is actually Jew's Ear. hahaha

Edit: nor did I know they made a beverage out of it...ugh.

Bear

Well shit, Black Wooden Ear (the direct translation) is a pretty common food in China. I did NOT know its name in English is actually Jew's Ear. hahaha

Edit: nor did I know they made a beverage out of it...ugh.

According to Wikipedia they're not the same species, although they are very closely related.

I recall the meaning having something to do with it being an ear-shaped mushroom that brings success/wealth. It seemed like a well-intentioned compliment that definitely doesn't translate well.

Another brand that I always saw at the nearby supermarket was this hilarious cookie box. Bought it as a present for one of my friends. They were quite good too, very similar to Milano cookies.

tumblr_lv9411YYKy1qctkcl.jpg

Big-E

There are lots of bizarre chip flavors in China. Larger supermarkets carry both local and international versions of Lays. The Chinese-targeted versions were cheaper and definitely didn't taste as good, even for the same flavors.

My personal favourite strange flavor would have to be a mushroom drink I saw in Shanghai.

Jew-Ear-Juice.jpg

Pretty sure that should say black fungus juice. At least I have a similar can up where that drink is suppose to come from.

Also, my wife is Chinese and she has cooked me chicken wings before with pepsi and coke so it is a thing.

sohois

I've been seeing adverts for these for ages actually, surprised it's only now hitting the news.

I'll see if i can grab a pack, not really a crisp eater but i'll try for GAF. Chinese crisps in general are quite weird, they have some bizarre flavours but also some surprisingly good crisps.

Maybe they just mean caramelised?

If you've never cooked a gammon joint in coke, you're missing out. Boil it in water for about 30 minutes, then boil it in full fat coke for another 40 or so minutes (depends how big the joint is, of course). It's utterly incredible. It doesn't taste at all like coke, but it's wonderfully sweet on the outside, mixing with the saltiness of the inside.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
There's an International Market here that sells 'chicken flavored' snacks. It all just tastes like cornnuts

sohois

Picked up a bag
(quoted for size)

They're not bad, not great either, just decent really. Wouldn't rush out to buy another pack. Whether they actually taste like Pepsi Chicken, I can't say having never eaten the dish. Certainly there is a hint of a Cola flavour in the after taste, otherwise they taste like a fairly standard 'meat'. flavoured crisp

Really the mixture of the Cola aftertaste with the chicken flavour taste most of all like Marmalade to me. Weird.

SRG01

So I just asked my dad about this... the cola's acid helps to soften the chicken (like a marinade). Not a lot of people eat it anymore though.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
So I just asked my dad about this... the cola's acid helps to soften the chicken (like a marinade). Not a lot of people eat it anymore though.

I'm assuming it similar to a brine? As it breaks down the tough stringy part of the meat and leaves it soft and moist.

Zips

I must have these burger/hotdog/chicken-flavoured chips.

I feel like I've been missing out on a whole world of simulated flavour goodness. No more!

Wanace

Cola chicken wings taste incredible.

A coworker of mine in Nanjing made them for me once, it blew my mind. I honestly wasn't expecting much, but they were delicious.

Doubt these chips are as good though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom