• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Geneijin

As preparation for EVO, does anyone have/know of some good Yosuke matches against the top tiers (and Naoto) that I could watch? I'm going to be lacking the actual match up experience because of the very small amount of people I can actually play, so might as well prepare my theory fighting as best as I can.
Watch Torowa's Kumite and you'll get an understanding for most matchups. Nise Pachi and Hayashi are also good Yosukes. And don't forget to scrub through dustloop too.

Personally, Yu, Teddie, and S.lab are probably Yosuke's hardest matchups (and I ain't just saying S.lab because I get bodied by FluxWaveZ). I feel like it's even with Mitsuru nowadays and Aigis has a slight edge at best.

I thought you quit P4A :(
FluxWaveZ might as well have been with switching mains!

Uncle AJ

Not sure what to do about Shabrys' j.B. I thought I could throw you whenever you jump from practicing it in training, but it's just whiffing when I'm playing you. So you can kind of just jump all around me with total impunity.

FluxWaveZ

Not sure what to do about Shabrys' j.B. I thought I could throw you whenever you jump from practicing it in training, but it's just whiffing when I'm playing you. So you can kind of just jump all around me with total impunity.

The startup frames of j.B is crap, though, so instead of blocking it you should 2B or something.

Edit: Man, it's so hard to switch mains when I'm so used to S. Lab. I'd like to stick with Chie, but I'm not as good as I am with her compared to S. Lab yet.

Uncle AJ

The startup frames of j.B is crap, though, so instead of blocking it you should 2B or something.

Edit: Man, it's so hard to switch mains when I'm so used to S. Lab. I'd like to stick with Chie, but I'm not as good as I am with her compared to S. Lab yet.

Maybe it's just Labrys, but i can't anti-air 2B her j.B worth a damn. The hitbox on it is so disjointed that whenever i attempted, I wouldn't hit anything, and I'd get CH by the j.B. Shabrys' isn't any different is it?

Your Chie is OK, but you love yourself some All-Out Attack a little too much, and characters with a 5F normal can break out of the 5D oki for free like I was doing to you. Chie has the best escape options out of her own 5D oki, ironically. You can get around this by putting a delay between sweep and 5D. Air AOA > dash > 5D is airtight, though.

RoeBear

was just reading a Blazblue interview on Siliconera and this is something neat I saw Toshimichi Mori say about P4A
TM: Arc System Works answered Index’s requests and the most we could do was suggest characters for it. For instance, I asked if we could make [Ryotaro] Dojima a character and they said no. I guess the characters I picked weren’t as well known so they were all denied. Nanako was the other one. They said like, "Hell no. Why did you even think that?"

full article http://www.siliconera.com/2013/07/04/blazblue-chronophantasma-brings-us-80-through-the-blazblue-story-and-other-tidbits/

FluxWaveZ

Maybe it's just Labrys, but i can't anti-air 2B her j.B worth a damn. The hitbox on it is so disjointed that whenever i attempted, I wouldn't hit anything, and I'd get CH by the j.B. Shabrys' isn't any different is it?

Your Chie is OK, but you love yourself some All-Out Attack a little too much, and characters with a 5F normal can break out of the 5D oki for free like I was doing to you. Chie has the best escape options out of her own 5D oki, ironically. You can get around this by putting a delay between sweep and 5D. Air AOA > dash > 5D is airtight, though.

I really don't know how Labrys works, but her properties are totally different than S. Lab's, so the j.B of hers might be different.

Ah, I had heard about certain characters' 5As able to destroy a non-delayed 5DD oki (though I couldn't pull it off against you). And yeah, I spam YOLO AoAs all the time with her, because I barely have a clue concerning what I'm doing with her.

I might just stick with S. Lab, but I feel like I've hit a plateau with her meanwhile I feel substantial improvement with Chie in just a few days.

was just reading a Blazblue interview on Siliconera and this is something neat I saw Toshimichi Mori say about P4A

full article http://www.siliconera.com/2013/07/04/blazblue-chronophantasma-brings-us-80-through-the-blazblue-story-and-other-tidbits/

Heh, I had heard about the Nanako and Dojima suggestions but I didn't know they were actually serious about it.

Edit: GGs, guys.

Uncle AJ

GGs Flux, Roe, Deadpool, TWILT, PK, Sohpia, and whoever else I missed.

I think I'm understanding the Shabrys matchup more, especially with how much I have to respect the fire. It's almost like when played to perfection, Shabrys is pretty much always safe because her Persona's moves will cover her during her recovery. Cant count the number of times I went "Oh he dropped his combo! I'm going in!" then airdashed right into some fire and into another combo.

FluxWaveZ

It's almost like when played to perfection, Shabrys is pretty much always safe because her Persona's moves will cover her during her recovery. Cant count the number of times I went "Oh he dropped his combo! I'm going in!" then airdashed right into some fire and into another combo.

That's exactly the thing with her, yeah. Her strength isn't really that they can both attack at the same time, but it's specifically that they can both protect each other while they're attacking if the timing is right.

The problem with that is that if a player doesn't play her to perfection, she's extremely weak (which I guess is why no one plays her) and I tend to be too reckless, so I leave more openings than I should.

Uncle AJ

Yo @FluxWaveZ, if you have some time tomorrow I'd like to talk shop w/ you about that Shabyrs matchup. I just found out my 2nd round match at EVO is a Shabrys, and my only experience has been against you and with my own training mode theories.

- What are her most common setups after a Guillotine knockdown, and do they have any holes someone could reasonably disrespect them with?
- If you anticipate her trying to get in with a j.B, how should you react to the jump: trying to anti-air and risking getting counter-hit, or just blocking high and taking the pressure?
- For the command throw/j.A "infinite," I know options to get out include Chie's air DP and delay-teching. How viable are these in a long set, how can the Shabrys player adjust for these tactics, and at what point does it do me more harm than good to try to escape that "infinite" at all?
- For Titanomachia, when should you try to rush her down and hit her to stop the super, and when should you just try to run away and outlast it?

I'll be busy most of Tuesday doing last-minute grinding with my local FGC, but I should be available to play on Wednesday if you want to help me put your advice into practice. Thanks man!

thundr51

Yo @FluxWaveZ, if you have some time tomorrow I'd like to talk shop w/ you about that Shabyrs matchup. I just found out my 2nd round match at EVO is a Shabrys, and my only experience has been against you and with my own training mode theories.!

If you want info about Shabrys I'd head over to mayonakamidnight and try to get some info from LordKnight . He's lost to Shabrys at 2 majors (that I know about) so he may be a good source of info. (looks like he's going to Evo as well)

Joule

Yo @FluxWaveZ, if you have some time tomorrow I'd like to talk shop w/ you about that Shabyrs matchup. I just found out my 2nd round match at EVO is a Shabrys, and my only experience has been against you and with my own training mode theories.

- What are her most common setups after a Guillotine knockdown, and do they have any holes someone could reasonably disrespect them with?
- If you anticipate her trying to get in with a j.B, how should you react to the jump: trying to anti-air and risking getting counter-hit, or just blocking high and taking the pressure?
- For the command throw/j.A "infinite," I know options to get out include Chie's air DP and delay-teching. How viable are these in a long set, how can the Shabrys player adjust for these tactics, and at what point does it do me more harm than good to try to escape that "infinite" at all?
- For Titanomachia, when should you try to rush her down and hit her to stop the super, and when should you just try to run away and outlast it?

I'll be busy most of Tuesday doing last-minute grinding with my local FGC, but I should be available to play on Wednesday if you want to help me put your advice into practice. Thanks man!

Not certain you'll find this useful but in acho's latest P4A upload there is an hour+ of high psr Chie vs Shabrys. Perhaps it can be a bit of study material on the match up. Good luck at Evo!

Sophia

Wish BananaKen had gotten to the Grand-finals instead of LK. Yume probably still would have won, but it'd be a much better showing because LK just got completely bodied.

Wish BananaKen had gotten to the Grand-finals instead of LK. Yume probably still would have won, but it'd be a much better showing because LK just got completely bodied.

Yeah, he had some nices moves but he just dropped way too many combo's that would have won the match for him (if he had completed them).

EDIT: Oh, forgot to add the link to the EVO Thread.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Any newcomers want to go a few rounds? I'm pretty new when it comes to this game and it would be fun to play some people on my level.

cj_iwakura

what were those non-orgia combos he was doing?

<doesnt play aigis

An absolute lack of fear.

Paulink: I'm not new, but I suck if that helps!
(Elizabeth main)

I've fought DC at Miami and gotten slaughtered. He didn't make top 8(he got 9th or so). Imagine how I would've done at Evo.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Any newcomers want to go a few rounds? I'm pretty new when it comes to this game and it would be fun to play some people on my level.

Can't help you there. Just checked online and like most Arc games I get 0-1 bars. :lol

RoeBear

Hey if the connection to me was playable LMK. I'd love to have people to play against on PS3 and i'd be down for some sets tomorr.w

For me our connection on this and BB was fine, and I dc a lot so don't worry if it happens. I'm down to play whenever.

Ken

For me our connection on this and BB was fine, and I dc a lot so don't worry if it happens. I'm down to play whenever.

always down for games, i'm just hesitant in asking because i'm worried my connection will make it unfun for people

Top Bottom