• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 now on North American PSN as a PS2 Classic - $9.99

Buy a Vita people. This game is just incredible on it and I can't see me going back to playing vanilla Persona 4 after having experienced Persona 4 Golden.

Nyoro SF

JRPGs are better on handhelds anyways. I will play Golden and just have a better experience than everyone who gets this.

Mate this ain't no experience war. Golden is by far the better game but I'd rather have lots of Persona 4 fans period.

KTallguy

Banned
Persona 4 is really good for quick bursts, but it also has lengthier sections. I've put over 100 hours into it on Vita and I love it. Excellent game.

Soriku

The pick up and play aspect of it on a handheld makes it much better.

I prefer the bigger screen and better sound.

Also I'm not in a rush, and I tend to play RPGs for hours at a time, so pick up and play doesn't mean that much to me.

Curufinwe

There's some silly stuff that got added for Golden, but fusion searching and being able to select your skills are massive improvements.

http://www.gamernode.com/reviews/persona-4-golden-review/

I was even more impressed by the mechanical changes made in Persona 4 Golden. Two of the most critical are the fusion search function and the ability to choose which skills are inherited during the process. Quite a few hours are spent in the Velvet Room concocting different fusion combinations in an effort to create powerful monsters (personas) that aid the player in battle. This process is streamlined in the Vita version with the help of the search function. All possible personas that can be created at a given time are listed, meaning players are in and out of the Velvet Room without fumbling around in an effort to find that perfect combination. Even better is the fact that players can choose which skills are inherited during each fusion, an aspect that was originally left to chance.

Of course if you will never own a Vita then it's worth playing the original version on PS2/PS3.

kick51

Banned
Are you kidding? It would sell gangbusters. Pretty much everyone who wants the game but doesn't want to invest in a Vita. That is A LOT of people.

apparently not, according to Atlus, or I'm sure they'd do it. They probably feel like they'll get the same or more profit from a PS2-on-PS3 release. *shrug*

88331-thats-amazing-gif-Scott-Pilgri-Ic2K.gif

Coxy

disappointing if true, they really needed to make a Persona 3/4 Definitive Editions with golden in HD and a final version of P3 with FeMC and stuff from portable but actual towns and stuff from FES

leroidys

Meh, no reason to play this if I have P4G, right?

Good move to release it on PS3 before Persona 5 comes out though.

Jamix012

P4G sold nearly double P4 globally

Facts from the ass, gonna need a source for that one. You don't have one because it's not true. Both Catherine and OG P4 did better for Atlus in terms of sales. Profitability is probably far higher on P4G, but that wasn't the original point of contention.

Edit: your source ignores europe and uh, is from the first 6 months of data. With a game like P4 that was still getting reprints, I doubt it stayed at 110,000 in the US.

FluxWaveZ

Facts from the ass, gonna need a source for that one. You don't have one because it's not true. Both Catherine and OG P4 did better for Atlus in terms of sales. Profitability is probably far higher on P4G, but that wasn't the original point of contention.

Where are your sources?

LX_Theo

Banned
I prefer the bigger screen and better sound.

Also I'm not in a rush, and I tend to play RPGs for hours at a time, so pick up and play doesn't mean that much to me.

Good headphones and the proximity to the screen make it about the same for me. And the pick up and play aspect make longer sessions easier to get into and get out of. Not to mention how its good for short sessions. One reason the suspend and resume is one of my most anticipated feature for PS4. Its very easy to overlook how nice it is.

LX_Theo

Banned

Old news, man. It wasn't double, but it was about the same as the original with it on a platform with much less sales.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/12/04/dragons-crown-persona-4-golden-put-up-huge-numbers

EDIT: To note, I find conflicting sources for P4's sales count, but none more than P4G.

Ryuukan

http://www.siliconera.com/2009/10/06/well-how-many-copies-did-persona-4-and-devil-survivor-sell/

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/12/04/dragons-crown-persona-4-golden-put-up-huge-numbers

Put your hands out while I push ok

Persona 4 Golden has shipped 700k, Dragon's Crown 800k Worldwide

With a game like P4 that was still getting reprints
The same can be said of P4G. Remember, this is one year old news.

Jamix012

Where are your sources?

/Shipped/ Also again that's the first 6 months of P4 in 2 regions vs more than a year of P4G in 3 regions. I'm not the one making the ridiculous claim, I was simply refuting the claim with no proof (you all seem to think vague sources that point to P4G doing pretty well is proof it did better than P4?) Do you think if P4G had outsold P4 that it wouldn't have been announced?

The burden of proof is not on me, but on the person who claimed it was the best selling, and thus far nothing suggests that it is.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Seriously guys... just get a Vita TV and get the vita game whenever it's on sale for 20 bucks. It goes on sale like every other month.

FluxWaveZ

/Shipped/ Also again that's the first 6 months of P4 in 2 regions vs more than a year of P4G in 3 regions. I'm not the one making the ridiculous claim, I was simply refuting the claim with no proof (you all seem to think vague sources that point to P4G doing pretty well is proof it did better than P4?) Do you think if P4G had outsold P4 that it wouldn't have been announced?

I'm not claiming anything. I am asking where you got your numbers from, since you've literally been seemingly pulling them out of the air until now without providing any source at all while you turn around and complain that other people are not providing sources.

Google

It works for certain types of JRPGs, but I always feel I can never put as much time into the systems or pay as much attention to the story if it's on a handheld.

Agreed.

The idea of watching 10-20 minutes of story on a handheld doesn't feel particularly conducive to a pick-up-and-play experience.

It's great that I can take a game like P4G on a plane with me - but that's a very different experience to having 15 minutes between train-stops to have a quick bash at something.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Agreed.

The idea of watching 10-20 minutes of story on a handheld doesn't feel particularly conducive to a pick-up-and-play experience.

It's great that I can take a game like P4G on a plane with me - but that's a very different experience to having 15 minutes between train-stops to have a quick bash at something.

Assuming it's a game that you've played before, the ability to fast forward through the conversations is a godsend. And if you fast forward too much? You can just use the log to listen to the dialog again.

Windam

Scaley member
I'm playing through Golden on Vita right now and goddamn it's amazing. I may double dip for the OG version just to see how much harder it is. I've seen some footage of it on YouTube, and I really prefer Chie's and Teddie's new voice actors for Golden.

Vita has no retail presence, you can't channel stuff a Vita game, especially a niche JRPG. Anything shipped is likely sold and no not really, the series is more popular now than it was back then.

The burden of proof is not on me, but on the person who claimed it was the best selling, and thus far nothing suggests that it is.
Well, it sold enough for ATLUS to actually make an announcement. I don't remember if they ever did the same for P4.

Top Bottom