• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 now on North American PSN as a PS2 Classic - $9.99

LX_Theo

Banned
/Shipped/ Also again that's the first 6 months of P4 in 2 regions vs more than a year of P4G in 3 regions. I'm not the one making the ridiculous claim, I was simply refuting the claim with no proof (you all seem to think vague sources that point to P4G doing pretty well is proof it did better than P4?) Do you think if P4G had outsold P4 that it wouldn't have been announced?

Why would it be announced? Persona isn't in competition with itself. Atlus has no reason to make the comparison. This was Atlus making this announcement for P4G and Dragon's Crown sales. They are not vague.

And yes, at this point you're digging your way out of a hole. It's sold more than the original. Double is a large stretch with the sources on hand, yes. That's it, though.

To note, given how long niche Atlus games were reprinted for the localizations (in particular, back then), it's actually sort of reasonable to assume there wasn't a lot of copies made after the first 6 months of sales.

Gbraga

Agreed.

The idea of watching 10-20 minutes of story on a handheld doesn't feel particularly conducive to a pick-up-and-play experience.

It's great that I can take a game like P4G on a plane with me - but that's a very different experience to having 15 minutes between train-stops to have a quick bash at something.

It might be useful for grinding and revisiting dungeons. Do those outside, and when you're home just relax and enjoy your waifus.

Hollycat

I'm not claiming anything. I am asking where you got your numbers from, since you've literally been seemingly pulling them out of the air until now without providing any source at all while you turn around and complain that other people are not providing sources.

This.

I'd like to support it with I've always heard P4G outsold the original, and the lack of copies of the original floating around is part of the reason it's so expensive, more than it was at launch.

Edit: Additionally, writing "the burden of proof is not on me" doesn't make it true, especially when your view is obviously the lesser known one. If anything, you should be providing proof to counter the popular view.

Ryuukan

/Shipped/ Also again that's the first 6 months of P4 in 2 regions vs more than a year of P4G in 3 regions. I'm not the one making the ridiculous claim, I was simply refuting the claim with no proof (you all seem to think vague sources that point to P4G doing pretty well is proof it did better than P4?) Do you think if P4G had outsold P4 that it wouldn't have been announced?

The burden of proof is not on me, but on the person who claimed it was the best selling, and thus far nothing suggests that it is.

grasping for straws here

pMVfl54.jpg

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jamix012

I'm not claiming anything. I am asking where you got your numbers from, since you've literally been seemingly pulling them out of the air until now without providing any source at all while you turn around and complain that other people are not providing sources.

What? My initial response wasn't to you, the person who pulled numbers out of thin air was the person I quoted. You decided to get in on it, but that still doesn't make the burden of proof on me at all. It hasn't outsold the original, and it might not ever. The last numbers we got for each game were
410,000 sold For Persona 4 in 2 regions after 6 months (for a game that was in print for 4 years and hadn't yet been released in europe)
vs
500,000 sold (or later confirmed 700,000 shipped) after over a year in 3 regions.
NPD numbers for P4G were lower than P4 LTDs and P4G has yet to overtake OG P4 in Japan (maybe with the mediacreate 1000?) too...so uh...where exactly has it beaten the LTD of P4 worldwide? Europe only? Somewhat doubtful.

Not grasping at straws. Vita enthusiasts just seem to think the Vita somehow bolstered the series to new levels, which it didn't.

disappointing if true, they really needed to make a Persona 3/4 Definitive Editions with golden in HD and a final version of P3 with FeMC and stuff from portable but actual towns and stuff from FES

nah, i think its time to move on from persona 3 and 4

theres probably around 7-8 games in total between the two

LX_Theo

Banned
What? My initial response wasn't to you, the person who pulled numbers out of thin air was the person I quoted. You decided to get in on it, but that still doesn't make the burden of proof on me at all. It hasn't outsold the original, and it might not ever. The last numbers we got for each game were
410,000 sold For Persona 4 in 2 regions after 6 months (for a game that was in print for 4 years and hadn't yet been released in europe)
vs
500,000 sold (or later confirmed 700,000 shipped) after over a year in 3 regions.
NPD numbers for P4G were lower than P4 LTDs and P4G has yet to overtake OG P4 in Japan too...so uh...where exactly has it beaten the LTD of P4 worldwide? Europe only? Somewhat doubtful.

Denies ever speaking of numbers or making claims of numbers... Proceeds to pull a bunch out of his ass. Let me guess, you have no burden of proof for all that bs you just spouted off?

FYI, your logically is blatantly flawed in most every aspect, but whatever.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Golden added a good bit, but I didn't feel like any of it was particularly something the original game really cried out for, aside from maybe simplifying skill inheritance during fusion.

It's definitely not in the same ballpark as P3P adding a desperately needed layer of functionality via direct party commands, and something as wildly content-rich as a whole new (and better!) campaign with a different protagonist.

Of course I'd say to go with Golden if you have the option, but if you don't, P4 Vanilla is perfectly serviceable and content-complete. Plus you'll get the superior Chie voice.

vs
NPD numbers for P4G were lower than P4 LTDs and P4G has yet to overtake OG P4 in Japan too...so uh...where exactly has it beaten the LTD of P4 worldwide? Europe only? Somewhat doubtful.

did really well digitally apparently.
http://gematsu.com/2013/10/persona-4-golden-sales-surpass-300000

Sales for Persona 4 Golden have surpassed 300,000 units, Atlus has announced.

The numbers include download sales, as well.

The Japanese announcement does not say whether the sales are restricted to Japan, or include the game’s international release, as well. Game Data Museum lists Japanese retail sales as 233,000, so we’ll let you make your own assumptions.

FluxWaveZ

What? My initial response wasn't to you, the person who pulled numbers out of thin air was the person I quoted. You decided to get in on it, but that still doesn't make the burden of proof on me at all.

Uh, we're on a forum. Here you are refuting claims that people are making without any proof of your own, and you have the gall to complain that people are not providing sources without providing your own, confusing the whole discussion even further.

This "burden of proof" stuff doesn't work here, especially now that people have already posted links explaining their position. If you're going to say "no, that's wrong", then show evidence instead of seemingly pulling data out of nowhere.

Denies ever speaking of numbers or making claims of numbers... Proceeds to pull a bunch out of his ass. Let me guess, you have no burden of proof for all that bs you just spouted off?

FYI, your logically is blatantly flawed in most every aspect, but whatever.

Uh, we're on a forum. Here you are refuting claims that people are making without any proof of your own, and you have the gall to complain that people are not providing sources without providing your own, confusing the whole discussion even further.

This "burden of proof" stuff doesn't work here, especially now that people have already posted links explaining their position. If you're going to say "no, that's wrong", then show evidence instead of seemingly pulling data out of nowhere.
yo damn

entremet

If they can HD-fy it somehow...please.

Nope. It won't

PS2 Classics are ROM dump, guys. It's the original PS2 ISO untouched.

So no Golden updates, no HD updates, just an ISO dump in an emulation wrapper.

If you want Golden, gonna need a Vita.

mao2

If this is true and it runs well on PS3, I might bite. Still hoping for Dragon Quest VIII and Shadow Hearts: Covenant to appear on PSN one day...

cafemomo

The burden of proof is not on me, but on the person who claimed it was the best selling, and thus far nothing suggests that it is.

Now now, let's keep the sales in the MC threads

But P4G did last until late August in the top 50. Add that with the intl releases, it could be very well the best selling Vita game, but I too wonder if it topped vanilla P4

Hollycat

One last comment on amount sold. 700 copies of P4G shipped, let us consider the fact that that number doesn't include digital downloads on a platform that has more digital sales percentage wise than any other excluding PC.

Edit: apparently I was wrong. That's a nonsensical way to use the word shipped. *pouts in the corner*

Anyways, more P4 is always good, maybe people who like P4 will buy a Vita to try the extended P4G.

Ryuukan

But P4G did last until late August in the top 50. Add that with the intl releases, it could be very well the best selling Vita game, but I too wonder if it topped vanilla P4

It did, see the last page of this thread about that paranoid guy being wrong

LX_Theo

Banned
One last comment on amount sold. 700 copies of P4G shipped, let us consider the fact that that number doesn't include digital downloads on a platform that has more digital sales percentage wise than any other excluding PC.

It does include digital sales. I remember it being noted back when the article came out.

With that said, it doesn't really change anything.

sense

vs

wow this is one funny post. i like the confidence in your post.and then proceed to give random numbers and making assumptions and then say you don't have to provide proof all the while the numbers you did provide show p4g having shipped almost 300000 copies more than the original. you really think there are retailers that order thousands of copies of niche vita games? and like 200000 of them are just sitting on shelves so that your theory of it not having outsold the original is somehow true? my brain is melting from trying to make sense of your post. bravo!!

Google

Assuming it's a game that you've played before, the ability to fast forward through the conversations is a godsend. And if you fast forward too much? You can just use the log to listen to the dialog again.

It's a good point. Personally, I have a tough enough time playing through a JRPG once, let alone multiple play-through's

I buy into the idea that a portable JRPG (like P4G or FFX:HD) will allow me to finally complete them as I can work on them in bed, train, plane, etc.

It never happens...

I wonder how far away it is. We often get ESRB ratings for games months or even years away from release. I still remember when Gradius V was rated last October with no news since, lmao.

Soriku

I wonder how far away it is. We often get ESRB ratings for games months or even years away from release. I still remember when Gradius V was rated last October with no news since, lmao.

They announced and released Raidou 1 pretty fast so I imagine P4 will have a quick turnaround, even if the announcement isn't official yet.

Gamerloid

If I may ask, why? I thought the only thing that was even questionable about P4G being better was that some people liked the original Chie VA more.

I personally prefer the new VA

To be fair, I should've explained why I like the original more in my initial post :l

Added dungeon and social link was cool, but some of the gameplay mechanics like the new shuffle time and bike system made things pretty easy. I had a great time with the original due to the difficulty and fusion to combat stronger enemies. Some of the cards you can draw I found to be just a bit too much.

Ryuukan

To be fair, I should've explained why I like the original more in my initial post :l

Added dungeon and social link was cool, but some of the gameplay mechanics like the new shuffle time and bike system made things pretty easy. I had a great time with the original due to the difficulty and fusion to combat stronger enemies. Some of the cards you can draw I found to be just a bit too much.

but you can raise the difficulty in golden

Hollycat

I believe P4G has 5 different difficulties, with the hardest being truly punishing. I could be remembering wrong though.
Additionally,
Margaret is several times more difficult in P4G, since she now ends the battle after 25 turns instead of 50, and attacks twice as often.

I don't understand what you mean by the bike system.

Top Bottom