• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Social-Link/Confidant discussion |OT| Laughing Banana is Makoto's husbando

Gonna write my confidants for my first playthrough, major spoilers abound as I will be talking about them outside of just their slinks

Fool (Rank 10):
Unfortunately I was spoiled on youtube's first trailer for the english release on the big twist...other than that I give credit for how haunting this Igor was. "Welcome to MY velvet room"
Magician (Rank 10):
I didn't like Morgana at first, then warmed up to him, then hated him again during his temper tantrum. However when he decided to just go hangout for a few months by himself in order to make a grand reentrance, props for the drama! Haru's (I think it was Haru) "Give me back my tears" was great
Priestess (Rank 10):
A great flawed character. I liked how shes introduced in a way that you kind of have to hate her, but then as she follows you around shes already warming up to the group. However she goes super try hard in capturing Kaneshiro and fucks up back. Really good character from a personality and growth standpoint. Her slink was only ok, but had some good moments and showcased something that made sense for her to be acting on. The really heartfelt relief she showed when joker survived the the fake out plan was really sweet
Empress (Rank 10):
Introduced too late to get enough screen time, butI loved her unique introduction into the thieves. Her slink is one of the better ones in the party. Playing at much higher stakes and following directly from her main story path. Shes also such a sweetheart of a character. Turning her down was rough.
Emperor (Rank 2):
I hate this fucking character. Hate him almost as much as I hate ken. I barely touched his slink, so hopefully it can redeem him some in NG+
Hierophant (Rank 10):
SojiBRO! Surpassed Dojima for me. His growth from disgruntled guardian to confidant is excellent. His acceptance of the thieves and his chemistry with Futaba. All the scenes when the police are trying to get the thieves.
Lovers (Rank 10):
Ann starts off great. Shes such a pained and troubled character during the Kamoshida incident with a lot of layers. Unfortunately nothing ever comes from it. Her romance scenes werent that itneresting and I backed out the save to go platonic. She has a few decent moments throughout the main story but nothing that really grows her character. Her slink is one of the worst in the game with how disjointed it is. Shouldve focused closely on Shiho instead of the dumb "be strong for Shiho through my career choice!"
Chariot (Rank 10):
Slink wasnt bad but felt like too much of a retread of Kamoshida with the whole new shitty coach thing. Overall Ryuji was alright. Hes a constant source of frustration, but grows from it as the game progresses
Justice (Rank 10):
The twist was great, if easily expected. Quite enjoyed how badly the thieves outplayed him. Him going psychotic was a little forced but it was fine. However the whole attempt to make him seem sympathetic is straight up the worst scene in the game. Jesus christ why is anyone throwing out the idea of letting him rejoin to take on Shido. Everyone wants to lay all the blame on Shido, but this motherfucker still pulled the trigger, and did so on Futaba's mother and Haru's father.
Hermit (Rank 10):
Easily my favorite character in the game. Her introduction was Persona 4 style which gave us great story of her current struggles. Her backstory was easy to empathize with, and her overcoming her own distortion was amazing. Shes immediately heartwarming with how she runs out to buy sparklers after hearing that the fireworks festival was ruined for Joker. In october when Sojiro finds the calling card. Everything between the two was so good. Her reasoning for keeping it, her defense of joker, and her resolution on why shes fighting. Her slink does a good job of growing her character forward and detailing her backstory in a natural way. The promise list conceptually was handled well between her lost friend and her relationship with her mother. I'm glad she doesnt need to complete that last one, even though she does so anyway.
Fortune (Rank 10):
Kinda weak at the beginning, but the moment I went "oh shit shes trapped in a cult!" she got much more interesting. A good arc overall for an unimportant character in the grand scheme. Sorry I told you I'm not into older women.
Strength (Rank 10):
This was a good slink for making you wonder what the fuck is going on as it moved up. Not much else to say
Hanged Man (Rank 5):
learned about his sun and the Yakuza. Really curious to where this goes when I get to it in NG+, though I have a feeling it involves some heart stealing of a certain Yakuza
Death (Rank 10):
Tae has a hard life...Joker's intrusion into it is great, and probably my favorite arc for an Slink. Corrupt business minded healthcare workers are something I'm sure a lot of Americans can relate to. Tae's triumph here was well deserved. Shes too good of a lady behind that stern exterior.
Temperance (Rank 10):
What a pair of evil fucks extorting her, when their extortion is already why their adopted son was dead. Its hard to empathize with Kawakami here, but its easy to Sympathize. Shes also a really fun character with falling in and out of her maid personality. Watching how conflicted she gets when you head down the romance route is funny in a way that let me brush off the Kamoshida comparisons, still I backed out that save too and went platonic.
Devil (Rank 10):
Boring at first, but one of the best arcs by the end. Its incredibly sad you cant save her friend, but at least we did avenge her in the end. I liked how directly this link ties into the main story.
Tower (Rank 3):
this came too late while I had other priorities. Hopefully its a good one. At the very least the skills are awesome.
Star (Rank 10):
I'm not smitten by her chuuni side, but shes a nice girl that by the end accepts her shortcomings and vows to overcome them. A good ending for her arc
Moon (Rank 10):
A total fucking dweeb. Redeems himself a lot by the end of his arc at least. I like how he believed he had a change of heart since he knew how shitty he had been. Nah dog, you pulled that off on your own.
Sun (Rank 2):
Not very interested in the old political figure. I have a feeling this will be a good link, it just wasnt a priority
Judgement (Rank 10):
She makes a good antagonist, with motivations that you can really understand, then she makes a great Ally after.

Bonus, Joker
Fuck you joker you piece of shit. Futaba knew you were hiding something and you just fucking say "I'm sorry" instead of explaining your plan to her! Futaba as she was leaving with the "We've been together long enough that I can tell when you are lying". Goddamnit man don't do that to her. Then shes crying hunched over the bar the next day...how could you!

some added confidant spoilers with end game events
I really liked how they worked in the confidants in the corny end game power up sequence. It was corny in the best way. Mishima's chants to bring everyone in, then sojiro showing up, along with everyone else. What was even better though was everyone teaming up to get Joker out of jail. This wasnt even cheesey, it made sense for everyone to work together on this. I imaging Ohya was the real MVP, getting the witness from Shido's assault from the opening.

Has anyone actually romanced Haru? She's the only option I haven't skimmed in this thread.

I'm in NG+ right now and I'm torn between doing this and just raising everyone up to rank 8 and then romancing each of them individually (besides Makoto, who I dated in the first playthrough). I think the latter option might be out just because I'll have to pick by a certain point, and then after that is hours of dungeons still, so it might not be feasible unless I want to spend A LOT of time.

Harem route is out because I'm not a goddamned monster.

Jintor

Yusuke even comments on that impulsiveness in the main story at one point. It does feel like the impression you're supposed to get from Makoto is someone who can be reckless/fierce in her pursuit of justice, but someone who relied on other people's ideas of "justice" for so long that she never had to think about it for herself until the Phantom Thieves. Note that
Kaneshiro is really the first time in the game we see Makoto find an injustice on her own, instead of being told about it by the principal, which helps explain why she's a lot more aggressive about it.
That realization also helps make her confidant story more likeable to me. It's a basis for the character that isn't just "I'm an honors student but I WANT TO LIVE LIKE COMMON PEOPLE."

Yeah basically my thoughts on Makoto.

She's someone who's really good at something but she's lost her own sense of what's right and wrong, blindly following 'authority' while questioning it but not having enough gall on her own to act out against it until she's pushed over the line... and when she does act out against it she goes way overboard.

She is clearly pretty smart though, but not at a Naoto Shirogane "here you pack of imbeciles let me explain the plot for you idiots" kind of level

Yeah basically my thoughts on Makoto.

She's someone who's really good at something but she's lost her own sense of what's right and wrong, blindly following 'authority' while questioning it but not having enough gall on her own to act out against it until she's pushed over the line... and when she does act out against it she goes way overboard.

She is clearly pretty smart though, but not at a Naoto Shirogane "here you pack of imbeciles let me explain the plot for you idiots" kind of level

Which, like, thank god. Makoto's been really good for taking cool aspects of several previous Persona characters and toning them the fuck down so they actually make sense in a high school student.

Jintor

unfortunately though I think in not being so overblown she gets kind of cast over as bland by peeps

like, do you want her to be screaming FISTS OF JUSTICE the entire time? she knows when to let loose and when to be a human being instead of a caricature.

(that said wait until the spinoffs I guess)

I was actually really impressed by the way they get Futaba, who obviously leans into her hacker girl otaku/hikkikomori thing but in a really realistic way - it helps they explore the emotional aspect to her first, so that when she starts dropping more and more geek lingo it's really clear that she's doing it because it's how she feels comfortable interacting with others on her terms

NotLiquid

Has anyone actually romanced Haru? She's the only option I haven't skimmed in this thread.

I've been thinking about this ever since the game came out - very few people are talking about her. I don't even really hear opinions like "she's boring", I really think the game does a little bit of a disservice introducing her so late and only enabling a Social Link with her in an inconvenient time frame (this is all speculation on my end and I might be wrong but
I was only able to establish a Social Link with her in late October, and if the game is anything like the previous games I'm going to assume that the "endgame date" is January 31 which gives me only two-three months to max her before Valentines).

For the next Persona I think they need to find a way to consolidate some of these Social Links. I haven't experienced much of Haru but she's coming across as so sweet that it's gonna throw yet another monkey wrench in my "best girl" list, even if she shows up way too late for her to have as much of an impact.

Its pisses me off how at rank 6 for Haru
that shitty fleancee threatens Haru so much and tells her to slim down. How about get another face you rat faced dick! Why is he not a memento request is something I still don't understand. Hopefully the expanded P5 if they make one fixes that shit.

Where the hell is Ryuji during the Summer? Can never find him, do I need to wait until he contacts me to get past rank 6??

Go to the map where you can see all the areas, in any area with a tarot card his square to see which of your social links are in that area that day. Blacked out ones are new ones you haven't started, ones with up! Have a new level available.

Mothman91

If you're not at school during a given day, he's usually in the arcade.

Go to the map where you can see all the areas, in any area with a tarot card his square to see which of your social links are in that area that day. Blacked out ones are new ones you haven't started, ones with up! Have a new level available.

Seems like I haven't seen him since I approached him and said wait till I contact you, yet it's been like a week. Usually doesn't take this long between encounters.

Seems like I haven't seen him since I approached him and said wait till I contact you, yet it's been like a week. Usually doesn't take this long between encounters.

Is there a palace/calling card you haven't done? When you get close to the deadline none of the party members will hang out with you till you move the story forward.

I generally avoid this kind of discussion but I've come to the conclusion that Haru is objectively the best:

- Likes all your dumb jokes
- Likes horror movies
- Literally a billionaire
- Her weapons are an ax and a goddamn grenade launcher
- Best metaverse outfit
- You and her can combine your powers to make the most righteous coffee on Earth
- Fluffy

Its pisses me off how at rank 6 for Haru
that shitty fleancee threatens Haru so much and tells her to slim down. How about get another face you rat faced dick! Why is he not a memento request is something I still don't understand. Hopefully the expanded P5 if they make one fixes that shit.

Would you really want to redeem someone like that? Wouldn't it be better if he was bested by a 'helpless' girl and watch his ambitions crumble.

I found one! Hah, that's cool. I was just curious is all. How are her date scenes? Have you gone out to any Hang Out locales since the Rank 10?
Her date scenes are really sweet, but I can't really compare it to the others since hers are the only ones I've seen. I haven't really hung out with her after hitting max rank.

I'll say though Haru's dream of opening a cafe and fascination for Leblanc alongside MC learning how to become a barista and brew coffee is OTP as fuuuuck. Sojiro would be proud.

I'm surprised how 'unromantic' Ann's Slink story was, I think the intend was for her to be like a bro. Makoto, Haru and Hifumi all have a bit of something imo.

Don't know about Futaba because I didn't get to complete her story.

Vanadium

I generally avoid this kind of discussion but I've come to the conclusion that Haru is objectively the best:

- Likes all your dumb jokes
- Likes horror movies
- Literally a billionaire...

Well in 円 that's just in the tens of millions of USD, but I guess that's still sorta rich.

Sorta.

Zafir

Oh, if you're on about the teacher you're meant to
eavesdrop on while he's drinking
, you could be waiting a while. I don't think he contacts you about it until sometime close to June. He'll eventually text you.

I'm surprised how 'unromantic' Ann's Slink story was, I think the intend was for her to be like a bro. Makoto, Haru and Hifumi all have a bit of something imo.

Yeah for the Lover's arcana Ann's romance scene feels like it came out of nowhere and was tacked on because it had to be there. The only romance that feels well built up of the ones I've seen is Kawakami's.

Shouta

The romance stuff is pretty tacked on because there was just too much to handle in her Confidant. There's so much stuff in her confidant that feels a little aimless at first. At least they kind of rein it in and bring it back tie it together with her stuff from the main storyline.

mdubs

Banned
I think a lot of it could have been solved if they had ramped up the romance element a little earlier in the confidants. Like at least in rank 8 for Ann. I can deal with Makoto's since it
just sort of happens but makes sense in the context of "studying"

I'm having a hard time dealing with all these waifus. I thought I would go with Hifumi, but Makoto is probably my favourite character. Also I've spent so much time with Ann that I really like her, despite finding her boring at first. And of course, Takemi, she's just, you know...

This game man.

The romance stuff is pretty tacked on because there was just too much to handle in her Confidant. There's so much stuff in her confidant that feels a little aimless until at first. At least they kind of rein it in and bring it back tie it together with her stuff from the main storyline.

Yeah ..seriously it's boring until you get rank 9 or so .. Ann route put me to sleep

sjay1994

Gonna write my confidants for my first playthrough, major spoilers abound as I will be talking about them outside of just their slinks

Fool (Rank 10):
Unfortunately I was spoiled on youtube's first trailer for the english release on the big twist...other than that I give credit for how haunting this Igor was. "Welcome to MY velvet room"
Magician (Rank 10):
I didn't like Morgana at first, then warmed up to him, then hated him again during his temper tantrum. However when he decided to just go hangout for a few months by himself in order to make a grand reentrance, props for the drama! Haru's (I think it was Haru) "Give me back my tears" was great
Priestess (Rank 10):
A great flawed character. I liked how shes introduced in a way that you kind of have to hate her, but then as she follows you around shes already warming up to the group. However she goes super try hard in capturing Kaneshiro and fucks up back. Really good character from a personality and growth standpoint. Her slink was only ok, but had some good moments and showcased something that made sense for her to be acting on. The really heartfelt relief she showed when joker survived the the fake out plan was really sweet
Empress (Rank 10):
Introduced too late to get enough screen time, butI loved her unique introduction into the thieves. Her slink is one of the better ones in the party. Playing at much higher stakes and following directly from her main story path. Shes also such a sweetheart of a character. Turning her down was rough.
Emperor (Rank 2):
I hate this fucking character. Hate him almost as much as I hate ken. I barely touched his slink, so hopefully it can redeem him some in NG+
Hierophant (Rank 10):
SojiBRO! Surpassed Dojima for me. His growth from disgruntled guardian to confidant is excellent. His acceptance of the thieves and his chemistry with Futaba. All the scenes when the police are trying to get the thieves.
Lovers (Rank 10):
Ann starts off great. Shes such a pained and troubled character during the Kamoshida incident with a lot of layers. Unfortunately nothing ever comes from it. Her romance scenes werent that itneresting and I backed out the save to go platonic. She has a few decent moments throughout the main story but nothing that really grows her character. Her slink is one of the worst in the game with how disjointed it is. Shouldve focused closely on Shiho instead of the dumb "be strong for Shiho through my career choice!"
Chariot (Rank 10):
Slink wasnt bad but felt like too much of a retread of Kamoshida with the whole new shitty coach thing. Overall Ryuji was alright. Hes a constant source of frustration, but grows from it as the game progresses
Justice (Rank 10):
The twist was great, if easily expected. Quite enjoyed how badly the thieves outplayed him. Him going psychotic was a little forced but it was fine. However the whole attempt to make him seem sympathetic is straight up the worst scene in the game. Jesus christ why is anyone throwing out the idea of letting him rejoin to take on Shido. Everyone wants to lay all the blame on Shido, but this motherfucker still pulled the trigger, and did so on Futaba's mother and Haru's father.
Hermit (Rank 10):
Easily my favorite character in the game. Her introduction was Persona 4 style which gave us great story of her current struggles. Her backstory was easy to empathize with, and her overcoming her own distortion was amazing. Shes immediately heartwarming with how she runs out to buy sparklers after hearing that the fireworks festival was ruined for Joker. In october when Sojiro finds the calling card. Everything between the two was so good. Her reasoning for keeping it, her defense of joker, and her resolution on why shes fighting. Her slink does a good job of growing her character forward and detailing her backstory in a natural way. The promise list conceptually was handled well between her lost friend and her relationship with her mother. I'm glad she doesnt need to complete that last one, even though she does so anyway.
Fortune (Rank 10):
Kinda weak at the beginning, but the moment I went "oh shit shes trapped in a cult!" she got much more interesting. A good arc overall for an unimportant character in the grand scheme. Sorry I told you I'm not into older women.
Strength (Rank 10):
This was a good slink for making you wonder what the fuck is going on as it moved up. Not much else to say
Hanged Man (Rank 5):
learned about his sun and the Yakuza. Really curious to where this goes when I get to it in NG+, though I have a feeling it involves some heart stealing of a certain Yakuza
Death (Rank 10):
Tae has a hard life...Joker's intrusion into it is great, and probably my favorite arc for an Slink. Corrupt business minded healthcare workers are something I'm sure a lot of Americans can relate to. Tae's triumph here was well deserved. Shes too good of a lady behind that stern exterior.
Temperance (Rank 10):
What a pair of evil fucks extorting her, when their extortion is already why their adopted son was dead. Its hard to empathize with Kawakami here, but its easy to Sympathize. Shes also a really fun character with falling in and out of her maid personality. Watching how conflicted she gets when you head down the romance route is funny in a way that let me brush off the Kamoshida comparisons, still I backed out that save too and went platonic.
Devil (Rank 10):
Boring at first, but one of the best arcs by the end. Its incredibly sad you cant save her friend, but at least we did avenge her in the end. I liked how directly this link ties into the main story.
Tower (Rank 3):
this came too late while I had other priorities. Hopefully its a good one. At the very least the skills are awesome.
Star (Rank 10):
I'm not smitten by her chuuni side, but shes a nice girl that by the end accepts her shortcomings and vows to overcome them. A good ending for her arc
Moon (Rank 10):
A total fucking dweeb. Redeems himself a lot by the end of his arc at least. I like how he believed he had a change of heart since he knew how shitty he had been. Nah dog, you pulled that off on your own.
Sun (Rank 2):
Not very interested in the old political figure. I have a feeling this will be a good link, it just wasnt a priority
Judgement (Rank 10):
She makes a good antagonist, with motivations that you can really understand, then she makes a great Ally after.

Bonus, Joker
Fuck you joker you piece of shit. Futaba knew you were hiding something and you just fucking say "I'm sorry" instead of explaining your plan to her! Futaba as she was leaving with the "We've been together long enough that I can tell when you are lying". Goddamnit man don't do that to her. Then shes crying hunched over the bar the next day...how could you!

some added confidant spoilers with end game events
I really liked how they worked in the confidants in the corny end game power up sequence. It was corny in the best way. Mishima's chants to bring everyone in, then sojiro showing up, along with everyone else. What was even better though was everyone teaming up to get Joker out of jail. This wasnt even cheesey, it made sense for everyone to work together on this. I imaging Ohya was the real MVP, getting the witness from Shido's assault from the opening.

On the ones you didn't rank up

Emperor: I feel like his confident is fun. There are some fun quirky moments in it, but its kinda hard to get into since he is very specific about art.

Sun: Its a hard one to get into, since its very much versed in Japanese politics, but his arc is quite fine. Also his abilities are SUPER HELPFUL
Rank 10 lets you recruit higher level personas

Tower: Its a fun link. Also abilities he offers are really helpful too.

Ann's social link feels like they cobbled together two different character's social links into one. There is an slink about a girl who had things come to her naturally who now has to learn to work hard, and a slink about a girl who wants to gain the confidence to stand up for what she believes in and not let the things other say get to her. They try to duct tape these two ideas together and do a really bad job of it with
the "antagonist" of ann's slink who was right with her criticisms of Ann ignoring the fact she was also lying/manipulating/cheating her way to the top

I just went with Futaba since she was one of the better members of the cast and actually had some of the most humorous interactions.

Most of the romance stuff in general seemed pretty tacked on so I didn't really pay too much attention to it since it was basically an afterthought.

Seeing Sojiro's reaction alone on Valentine's day made it worth it.

sjay1994

I'm not done the game yet. Only just beat the 7th palace

But my favorite Slinks are Makoto, Tae, Futaba, Kawakami, Sojiros and Iwai's.

I fucking love how shady as fuck Iwai's starts as.

ckohler

Okay guys... I've not made a romance commitment yet but here's where I am. I'd be interested in your thoughts:

Ann - I feel like I made a mistake not choosing her, tbh. I prefer to play Persona as a monogamist and I figured later choices would be more interesting so I didn't choose to romance her. In hindsight, there's really little I don't like about her.

Kawakami & the doctor - I absolutely loved their s-links but, yeah, a serious relationship with either felt scandalous.

Makoto - I'm at the point I could choose her but I'm holding off. I like most things about her except her everyday personality which is just kinda "meh". She can be kind and strong willed but seems to otherwise be your average "nice girl".

Futaba - I'm almost at the point I could choose her. I love her quirky personality, hobbies, fashion sense and s-link. The only thing making me hold off is that the game is REALLY pushing the "protect her" angle. She's only one year younger than the MC but damn if the game doesn't keep making it seem like it's more.

Haru - Haven't started her S-link yet. She's sweet and pretty but seems otherwise rather bland so far.

Best one is Chihaya imo.

That's true. She showed interest before the random romance option that appears for most. I ended up with makoto but even I have to admit it was such a random reason to pair up. At least it avoided the persona 4 issue of every female character wanting yu narukami from the getgo.

A question about dating Temperance,
I know you go on a few dates with Kawakami after the summer but if I had been her boyfriend before summer vacation started would there have been an event or a date during it?
Also I'm glad people have seen that Kawakami is getting support here, I though that she would be completely ignored in favor of the female Phantom Thief's.

Persona 5 drinking game, take a shot every time an npc social link
figures out you're a member of the phantom thieves

Finish your drink if they have sex with you after this

Persona 5 drinking game, take a shot every time an npc social link
figures out you're a member of the phantom thieves

Finish your drink if they have sex with you after this
Yep, worst kept secret ever.
It was a bit infuriating that on every main mission someone finds out and pretty easily. I hated it since I always tried to pick dialog choices trying to act normal when being asked about the Phantom Thieves but still people find out.

Top Bottom