• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Social-Link/Confidant discussion |OT| Laughing Banana is Makoto's husbando

Moofers

You know. Her character arc is all about
redeeming herself and becoming a good teacher
. And you decide to drag her into an affair with one of her students.

You should feel bad for it.
I'm kidding. But seriously. You're destroying any kind of impact the MC actions may have had by doing that :l

She shouldn't have been a romance option IMO.

Didn't read your spoilers, not going to either. I'm early on and having fun.

She shouldn't have been a romance option IMO.
Yeah I agree, it's not like there's a shortage of older women you can date in this game anyway, and the whole confidant is already sleazy as is.

Though I doubt they went with the whole maid thing without any intention of making her dateable in the game.

Eylos

Banned
Imo Makoto has one of the worst slinks

its all about her boring friend and her boyfriend, would be awesome if it was something about makoto father/sister, instead we got an slink dedicated for someone we dont care about

its all about her boring friend and her boyfriend, would be awesome if it was something about makoto father/sister, instead we got an slink dedicated for someone we dont care about

Pretty much my thoughts on it. She's a great character who was sabotaged with a less than stellar Social Link.

Yeah, I don't get why her social link is the way it is. I thought about choosing her this playthrough, but I just wasn't enjoying her social link at all.

Kind of wish they would have time-gated part of her SL until after the 6th palace so that you could hang out with both Niijima sisters. I guess there's already not enough time for Haru at that point.

Still trying to figure out who I'll choose for NG+. I picked Futaba this round and don't think I want to romance any of the adults, except maybe Chihaya.

I was interested in Futaba until I heard the line "She just graduated middle school."
Then I was like:
giphy.gif

Pretty much my thoughts on it. She's a great character who was sabotaged with a less than stellar Social Link.

I feel like with Makoto, the writers put themselves into a corner because they couldn't have the protagonist getting involved in her home life since the entire framing device of the game is based on Sae not knowing who the Protagonist is, so a divide ended up being created with her Confidant.

Confidant-wise I'd honestly say Futaba and Haru's are better than Ann and Makoto's.

I feel like with Makoto, the writers put themselves into a corner because they couldn't have the protagonist getting involved in her home life since the entire framing device of the game is based on Sae not knowing who the Protagonist is, so a divide ended up being created with her Confidant.

Confidant-wise I'd honestly say Futaba and Haru's are better than Ann and Makoto's.

Yeah, I'd have to agree - still leaves me unsure of which of the 3 (Makoto, Haru, Tae) to romance.

A-V-B

I wasn't even able to complete it due to the charm requirement being the absolute maximum just for a
freaking play date, wtf?

Hylian7

Kawakami:
I maxed her's out. I was worried maxing her's out would lock me out of others, but apparently it won't because only one will be romantic and the rest platonic.
I debated between maxing her's or Takemi's, and seeing the level 10 benefit, I definitely made the right decision.

aly

Haru is too cute. I can't turn her down :0 but there's Hifume too. Once again setting your friends up option would be great. Hifume/ Yusuke pls. Also dear god Makato is so boring. I kinda don't like her dynamic with the group either.

Espada

Yup, I found Ann and Makoto's social links dull bordering on just plain crap. Having
Eiko, a faceless NPC, dominate the social link so much she gated progress in it was a mistake
. Especially when compared to the two you mentioned or ones like Sojiro or Toranosuke.

I love how Haru looks in her Thief costume - it might actually be my favourite outside of the MC.

Yeah, she looks cute and cool. Packing a grenade launcher too!

RalchAC

Yup, I found Ann and Makoto's social links dull bordering on just plain crap. Having Eiko, a faceless NPC, dominate the social link so much she gated progress in it was a mistake. Especially when compared to the two you mentioned or ones like Sojiro or Toranosuke.

I love how she screams "boom!" when she uses it.

Eylos

Banned
Yup, I found Ann and Makoto's social links dull bordering on just plain crap. Having
Eiko, a faceless NPC, dominate the social link so much she gated progress in it was a mistake
. Especially when compared to the two you mentioned or ones like Sojiro or Toranosuke.

I think Ann is better because:

you have a conclusion to the story of shiho, that you dont see in the main game, and this part is Very cool, the model part sux

I think Ann is better because:

you have a conclusion to the story of shiho, that you dont see in the main game, and this part is Very cool, the model part sux

Ann's social link was like 3 different social links duct taped together to try and form some kind of coherent whole.

LousyTactician

Neo Member
This Joker now hails to the Queen.

I see where people are coming from when they say Makoto's Confidant is a bit underwhelming compared to others. But I don't think it 'bad' per-say.
It just dedicates too much time to Makoto's ditz of a friend
. The actual conversations with Makoto are great. I certainly disagree that it 'ruins' her as a character. Her presence in the main game (and to a lesser extent the optional events. Gotta admire a chick who watches Yakuza films.) alone made decide to hook up with her, and she does develop over the course of the Confidant.
I just wish the writers used a method other than Eiko to carry it out.

6:10:50

Neo Member
While I do agree that they're not as powerful as Futaba's genuinely affecting promise list, it's interesting that Makoto and Ann both have their S-links tied really, really heavily to gendered labor. Heck, the entire game is basically one long examination of what people are asked to do for money and respect. For Makoto,
it's one long arc towards her decision to be a police commissioner while also looking at Eiko's exploitation by her boyfriend at the maid cafe for money.
Ann's is all about modeling as a mix of physical talent and brute-force manipulation of the field,
with her rival being a kind of echo of Sae's palace (if you can't win the game as a woman, rig the bets to help you win).
I mean, look at how the S-links break down:
Star: girl forced to become shogi star by manipulative mother
Sun: politician disgraced by economic scandal
Temperance: teacher forced to work extra hours due to past incident
Death: doctor forced out of her practice by evil supervisor
Devil: journalist forced to work extra hours due to pursuing a scandal
Fortune: country girl quickly manipulated into helping cult sell fake stones
Hanged Man: former yakuza member trapped into bad business deal w/past partner
Moon: kid develops obsessive fixation on his work & fame for/on the Phan-Site
Tower: kid suffers from mom being single parent with crushed career dreams who forces him into being super-competitive

And the palaces...
Kaneshiro seeing people as ATMs, Okumura seeing them as robots, Madarame's swiping of pupil labor, Kamoshida turning the team into slaves...
It's basically Exploited Workers: The Game.

Tae is the correct answer.

I mean, it's really hard to say no to her after doing her entire link and seeing her Rank 10... but she feels so removed from the rest of the party.

LOL she's a year younger than the MC.

If anything the whole host of adult women like Kawakami, Takemi, Ohya, or Chihiyo is a lot 'creepier' with how they're fawning over a minor.

To be fair, Takemi never fawns over a minor. She thinks about it for a few days then say "eh screw it" and sends you a text.

I mean, yeah, she gives in, but I wouldn't call it fawning.

DNAbro

LOL she's a year younger than the MC.

If anything the whole host of adult women like Kawakami, Takemi, Ohya, or Chihiyo is a lot 'creepier' with how they're fawning over a minor.

he steals the heart of every girl he comes into contact with. Any more time with Sae and she would have been all over him. He's too powerful.

Also the Velvet Twins (new game+ spoiler)
After beating them and Caroline being all "I miss you when you aren't here" he pretty much gets the attention of every girl. Also the "I can't choose between the both of you" response made me go all "hahaha that's creepy ew"

I mean, it's really hard to say no to her after doing her entire link and seeing her Rank 10... but she feels so removed from the rest of the party.

To be fair, Takemi never fawns over a minor. She thinks about it for a few days then say "eh screw it" and sends you a text.

I mean, yeah, she gives in, but I wouldn't call it fawning.

Takemi just wanted to make sure there weren't any unusual markings on your body after the many clinical trials, and she needed a long time at night to make sure everything worked properly 😀

People are still doubting Tae as the best choice. By every metric, Tae is at the height of the game's available romance choices.

Tae_Winking_Cut-in.png

First, Tae has her own theme music, and it's good music. No, Crossroads does not count as Ohya's music anymore than the church's BGM counts as Togo's music. It's Tae's clinic, she owns it, it's her music. The theme is called Butterfly Kiss. Tae has music. The lesser female confidants (everyone else) do not have their own music. This should be foreshadowing enough for folks to realize what the pecking order will turn out to be.

Let's dispel any rumors right now that true waifus must be party members. I don't care if I'm
missing out on scenes at the beach or at the school festival when I'm getting shit like this. Plus, Futaba is the best in-party waifu choice and she has just as many romance scenes as non-party confidants since she isn't in school. If my choosing a romance is limited by "with whom can I watch the sunset in Hawaii" or "who can I watch be so boring at the school festival that I have to save them", then I'm already a lost cause and I might as well just put all my chips on the wasted potential that is Makoto (as yes, Makoto is the just wasted potential).

To add onto that point, undisputed worst girl Kawakami
has both Hawaii and School Festival scenes - and because she's a teacher, actually gets scenes that are a bit more unique than if you chose a schoolmate. Even with all of that, it doesn't change the fact that she's a teacher who epitomizes terrible judgement. The only argument going for Kawakami is the novelty teacher and/or maid factor, and knowing you're only in town to do your romancing for a little under a year. Still, her terrible character should be such a turn-off that the novelty should not be able to save it.

Eylos

Banned
While I do agree that they're not as powerful as Futaba's genuinely affecting promise list, it's interesting that Makoto and Ann both have their S-links tied really, really heavily to gendered labor. Heck, the entire game is basically one long examination of what people are asked to do for money and respect. For Makoto,
it's one long arc towards her decision to be a police commissioner while also looking at Eiko's exploitation by her boyfriend at the maid cafe for money.
Ann's is all about modeling as a mix of physical talent and brute-force manipulation of the field,
with her rival being a kind of echo of Sae's palace (if you can't win the game as a woman, rig the bets to help you win).
I mean, look at how the S-links break down:
Star: girl forced to become shogi star by manipulative mother
Sun: politician disgraced by economic scandal
Temperance: teacher forced to work extra hours due to past incident
Death: doctor forced out of her practice by evil supervisor
Devil: journalist forced to work extra hours due to pursuing a scandal
Fortune: country girl quickly manipulated into helping cult sell fake stones
Hanged Man: former yakuza member trapped into bad business deal w/past partner
Moon: kid develops obsessive fixation on his work & fame for/on the Phan-Site
Tower: kid suffers from mom being single parent with crushed career dreams who forces him into being super-competitive

And the palaces...
Kaneshiro seeing people as ATMs, Okumura seeing them as robots, Madarame's swiping of pupil labor, Kamoshida turning the team into slaves...
It's basically Exploited Workers: The Game.
A Phantom is haunting tokyo

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I mean, you're right...

But it still feels like I'm betraying Makoto - liked her most until that confidant made me start doubting her

He can't be right. He says Becky is worst girl. What a monster. Tae is best waifu though. That much is certain.

-Horizon-

Hifumi probably has the coolest confidant back towards the mc pic.

That alone is making me me want to pick her now lol

But then I kind of like Takemi too...

cj_iwakura

Rumors about Hifumi have started up. Do I need to go looking for her or will I be pretty much hit over the head with her arrival?

He can't be right. He says Becky is worst girl. What a monster. Tae is best waifu though. That much is certain.

Becky is great as an confidant, if a bit weird, but I don't consider her a romance option.

Hifumi probably has the coolest confidant back towards the mc pic.

That alone is making me me want to pick her now lol

But then I kind of like Takemi too...

That's about all Hifumi has going for her outside her amazing confidant abilities. Her romance rank up is embarrassingly short and pathetic.

Mothman91

Pretty sure this has been addressed but getting Ryuji past rank 6??

I'm guessing I am waiting for a call....but has been like a month??

Is this bugged or common?

Top Bottom