• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Social-Link/Confidant discussion |OT| Laughing Banana is Makoto's husbando

​
So did anyone romance Ichiko (the Devil confidant)? She's basically just awful.
If you're going for someone out of high school, Tae Takemi is by far the best romance option. This is going by every arguable metric.

• You're only there for a year,
    so thinking extremely long term is foolish (and actually outright hurtful if you're being honest with yourself). You don't have time to start a relationship where your partner is just going to come up to your room to talk about the weather before leaning her head on your shoulder to call it a night. No, Tae is on another level - she implies heavily during your Rank 10 Romance conversation that you're starting on third base and she'll see where it goes from there. Oh, is that too boring for you, MC? Why not have some special "medicine". Tae is just on an entirely different level.
  • But what about
    the Hawaii gifts? Oh you mean those garbage accessories that pale in comparison to SP Adhesive 3? No thanks. Ann. Your figurine might be cute, but nothing keeps me literally going all night like Tae's SP Adhesive 3 available at Rank 5 (discounted to half off at Rank 7, because that's just how much I get to her). And there's even enough SP Adhesive III for everyone.
  • Tae
    is the only female confidant with a real, serious issue which also actually required the Phantom Thieves' assistance. She was developing medicine to save a human child's goddamned life, but that person's primary physician literally faked the human's death out of jealousy. This is a legit cause for heart thief intervention, and it raises the bar beyond the reach of every other female confidant.
  • The problems for other female confidants range from extremely to insultingly shallow in comparison,
    and for everyone else you're basically playing the role of an emotional support dog. With Tae, you're saving a child's goddamned life.
  • Ichiko
    literally has to pretend she's dating you to not get in trouble with her boss, who catches her coming out of a bar. Great role modeling there, adult. The rest of the confidant plays out like you're her unpaid intern. Oh, and how wonderful! I played along with Ichiko and now Palace Alert levels are reduced!. I just decided to play through Palaces by blindfolding myself while controlling the DS4 through two baseball gloves, so this will surely be a great benefit.
  • Kawakami
    is the oldest romance option, and she's letting herself get manipulated harder than Makoto did - and at least Makoto, a student almost half Kawakami's age - was able to break that cycle on her own when the stakes were much more dangerous. Kawakami is a terrible human, an even more terrible teacher, and has nothing going for her besides the novelty of a teacher/maid romance.
  • Mifune
    is an adult too but it falls on a high school student to snap her out of a cult and to stop giving horrendous, outright sexist advice to customers based on tarot readings. Out of all the confidants, she seems like the one who might actually be outright unable to manage life on her own. Helping her feels like charity work.
  • Togo's
    biggest problem is dealing with an overbearing mother. I actually had to go into Mementos to fix that. If these are the cases the Phantom Thieves are going to take on, they need to start hiring.
  • Ann's
    biggest issue is that modeling is hard.
  • Makoto's
    confidant has a promising start, but then just becomes you being her bodyguard while she tries to smack sense into her dumb friend.
  • Futaba
    is actually a decent romance option. Her arc makes sense and she's interesting. I'm not a Futaba guy but I understand those who would choose to be Futaba guys. Sure she's emotionally stunted but she has a valid reason, and she brings a unique and endearing personality to the table.
  • Haru
    sticks with a terrible fiancé because of an obviously fabricated contract. I shouldn't have been needed to help her out of that situation. She and Mifune are both the sort who would send five thousand dollars in iTunes gift cards to a Nigerian Western Union account to try and bail out a friend suddenly calling from "a jail cell in Mexico".

​
If you're going for someone out of high school, Tae Takemi is by far the best romance option. This is going by every arguable metric.

Oh my God this is perfect.

I feel more validated now in liking Tae more too... I just wonder if there's any loss in dating a Confidant instead of a Party Member...

Do I lose any scenes or dialogue?

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Oh my God this is perfect.

I feel more validated now in liking Tae more too... I just wonder if there's any loss in dating a Confidant instead of a Party Member...

Do I lose any scenes or dialogue?

Nah, the game kind of ignores that you're dating anyone out side of specific date scenes. There's one bit where a teammate (or teammates) you're dating reacts to the word
marriage
, but outside of that I can't think of anything.

Nah, the game kind of ignores that you're dating anyone out side of specific date scenes. There's one bit where a teammate (or teammates) you're dating reacts to the word
marriage
, but outside of that I can't think of anything.

So no scenes like for valentine's or otherwise with your romance partner? Or will those happen regardless of Confidant/Party Member status?

What differences are there between romancing a Confidant and Romancing a party member?

Minimal spoilers please.

Stuck deciding between Makoto, Tae, and Haru. (See original post here.)

I think the main difference you'll see is that likely there are slightly more romantic scenes with a romanced party member than with a romanced confidant.

But I don't think there are that many more. So ultimately go with what you want.

edit: you will most definitely lose at least 1 scene if you don't date someone from your school. And if you don't date a classmate, you will lose 2 scenes.

edit: you will most definitely lose at least 1 scene if you don't date someone from your school. And if you don't date a classmate, you will lose 2 scenes.

So 1 scene if it's not a party member, and another if it's not Ann? She's the only party member that's also a member of your class.

Either way, I guess I'm back to square 1, really loved Takemi's confidant, but I don't like the idea of it being treated like a secondary choice.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
So 1 scene if it's not a party member, and another if it's not Ann? She's the only part member that's also a member of your class.

Either way, I guess I'm back to square 1, really loved Takemi's confidant, but I don't like the idea of it being treated like a secondary choice.

Losing a small handful of little scenes is worth it for dating the best waifu. You know you want too. Do it,

Like if we're ranking waifu based upon how viable of a life partner they are it'd be something like

Top tier: Makoto, Tae, Hifumi, Haru

All girls who are either in a well paying career or smart enough to end up in one. Also generally smart and competent where you'd feel comfortable living with them and having a family

Mid Tier: Ohya, Ann, Chifune

All decent choices but have a flaw thats hard to over look (alcoholic, moron, bumpkin) and are in careers with questionable long term financial viability. Seem like they'd be decent enough parents but might leave something to be desired.

Bottom Tier: Kawakami, Futaba

I love them but both of these girls are a hot mess in their personal life and aren't likely ever to be much help making money or raising a family.

So 1 scene if it's not a party member, and another if it's not Ann? She's the only part member that's also a member of your class.

sorry when I meant classmate, I meant as in a student at school.

If you really want to know outside of (character in game)
Haru
who is introduced way too late into the game to have some of these scenes, they are:

- If you don't date somebody from school you will miss:
Hawaii scene
except for the person above of course so read these spoilers at your own risk if you really want to avoid any dating spoilers. Fortunately for many if you date
the shogi girl
she still appears here, so I guess the assumption is that she is considered part of your school I guess.

- If you don't date a student (though not sure about the teacher, highly unlikely though but I can't confirm), you will miss the scene you can get
in the school festival
as far as I'm aware. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong though.

- If you don't date a teammate you will miss a very minor scene late game where Ryuji
asks if you want to get married in the future
and depending on your response
the teammate you are dating will react accordingly

I could be mistaken on the second one though. I mean they certaintly could have written the confidants coming in, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Haru
who is introduced way too late into the game to have some of these scenes, they are:

Hawaii scene
except for the person above of course so read these spoilers at your own risk if you really want to avoid any dating spoilers. Fortunately for many if you date
the shogi girl
she still appears here, so I guess the assumption is that she is considered part of your school I guess.

- If you don't date a student (though not sure about the teacher, highly unlikely though but I can't confirm), you will miss the scene you can get
in the school festival

- If you don't date a teammate you will miss a very minor scene late game where Ryuji

I could be mistaken on the second one though. I mean they certaintly could have written the confidants coming in, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

You'll get Haru's scene for the second one it's the default "canon" scene

You'll get Haru's scene for the second one it's the default "canon" scene

but you can't possibly be dating her at that point in the game though right? You can't raise her confidant to at least level 9 at that point.
Hell you can't really do it until after the (late story spoiler)
fake capture

Haru

I'm already past the
Hawaii
scene and the
Festival
(during which I wasn't dating anyone and hung out with Haru at the end automatically) so really the only thing I lose by dating Tae is the
Ryuji dialogue
near the end?

If that's really all there is, I think I've made my decision.

but you can't possibly be dating her at that point in the game though right? You can't raise her confidant to at least level 9 at that point. Hell you can't really do it until after the fake capture

all the party member girl scenes play out exactly the same, haru just doesn't blush as much when you ask about a bf or say you love her. She also doesn't talk about marriage but hints at you'd be someone she can rely on. You could basically consider level 0 of her social link :p

I'm already past the
Hawaii
scene and the
Festival
(during which I wasn't dating anyone and hung out with Haru at the end automatically) so really the only thing I lose by dating Tae is the
Ryuji dialogue
near the end?

If that's really all there is, I think I've made my decision.

I think you may have potentially already missed one scene with her by the way. You can google it I'm pretty sure.

It's when people are coming day after to day to hang out at the coffee shop.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Hawaii scene
the shogi girl

I assumed that
Hifumi goes to Yusuke's school, so she was supposed to be go9ng to LA as well. The Wikia seems to agree with me.

Tae had a scene there if you were dating her at the time?

I think so. Google it at your own risk. I think mechanically you can't ask these adult characters to go out to
hang out in your room
like one of the students. So she has a scene where she

(Read at your own risk cause I may be mistaken if you can't get it later)
visits the coffee shop one day, and offers to go up to your room to give you a 'thorough examination'

I think so. Google it at your own risk. I think mechanically you can't ask these adult characters to go out to
hang out in your room
like one of the students. So she has a scene where she

(Read at your own risk cause I may be mistaken if you can't get it later)
visits the coffee shop one day, and offers to go up to your room to give you a 'thorough examination'

The latter is just her standard rank 10 romance scene

So....

Because I'm past
Hawaii
and the
Festival
, it makes no difference who of the three I choose, correct? Outside of that
snippet of Ryuji dialogue
near the end, there's nothing I'll miss if I go with Tae, right?

I mean, Tae's personality & Confidant are my favorite, but Makoto is a great character in general and rides a popecycle, and Haru's Thief outfit + Confidant aren't bad either. (Not to mention it makes you feel like garbage to
not return her feelings
.)

galvenize

Haru

Hawaii scene
the shogi girl

in the school festival

You can get a kawakami scene for both
Hawaii and festival
events.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
So....

Because I'm past
Hawaii
and the
Festival
, it makes no difference who of the three I choose, correct? Outside of that
snippet of Ryuji dialogue
near the end, there's nothing I'll miss if I go with Tae, right?

I mean, Tae's personality & Confidant are my favorite, but Makoto is a great character in general and rides a popecycle, and Haru's Thief outfit + Confidant aren't bad either. (Not to mention it makes you feel like garbage to
not return her feelings
.)

Nope, you'll still have
Christmas and Valentine's Day
scenes.

Right when I think I've made up my mind on Tae, a bunch of cute Haru artwork shows up on my dashboard.

8xXWVEI.png

m9rtpbC.png

klQ2AgF.png

The ride never ends.

I expect a new avatar soon then. :p

Haru is pretty lame, not gonna lie.

It's funny, because despite winning the poll, nobody has tried to convince me that Makoto's Confidant link was anything special. If it was as good as Tae's - or even Haru's - I wouldn't even have this problem, but it was so lackluster...

LumpOfCole hit it on the head when they said "Makoto's confidant has a promising start, but then just becomes you being her bodyguard while she tries to smack sense into her dumb friend."

Happy Bday to our Queen

https://twitter.com/shina0118/status/856147491829317632/photo/1

It's funny, because despite winning the poll, nobody has tried to convince me that Makoto's Confidant link was anything special. If it was as good as Tae's - or even Haru's - I wouldn't even have this problem, but it was so lackluster...

LumpOfCole hit it on the head when they said "Makoto's confidant has a promising start, but then just becomes you being her bodyguard while she tries to smack sense into her dumb friend."

I'm still at the end of September and am choosing between Tae and Makoto. I'll probably go with Makoto because it seems most canon to me (only rank 6 with her so far), Tae has a great confidant story line (I'm at rank 8) but MC getting together with a fellow student who is also in your party seems more fitting. Don't tell me 7/24 scene with
Makoto freaking out and hanging on to MC's leg
wasn't perfect.

NotLiquid

Chihaya is so cute

I like how she begins as a rival to protag and their relationship quickly becomes endearing

Makes me feel bad for turning her down ;_;

Happy Bday to our Queen

https://twitter.com/shina0118/status/856147491829317632/photo/1

I'm still at the end of September and am choosing between Tae and Makoto. I'll probably go with Makoto because it seems most canon to me (only rank 6 with her so far), Tae has a great confidant story line (I'm at rank 8) but MC getting together with a fellow student who is also in your party seems more fitting. Don't tell me 7/24 scene with
wasn't perfect.

Why are there so many pictures of worst girl with Futaba?

wasn't perfect.

Shit - I know, it was absolutely perfect, they have such good chemistry in general, but her Ultimate Persona design as well as her Social Link in general were a bit of a let down...

It's a game of pros / cons...
  • Takemi: Best Social Link of the 3 & That Rank 10 Moment... But she's not a Party Member
  • Makoto: Party Member with the Best Chemistry with MC in General... But she's the worst Social Link of the 3 and has a decidedly 'Eh' Ultimate Persona.
  • Haru: Party Member with the Best Thief Costume & a Solid Social Link... But she has that Super Soft & High-Pitched Voice and a forehead you could land a plane on.
I was set on Makoto when I started, but now I'm not so sure.

LotusHD

Banned

Well yea, Makoto's S-Link is kind of lackluster, but on the other hand, I already liked her personality to begin with. A S-Link more focused on her would be neat, but like, truthfully it wouldn't change much. I already know what she's like, due to the story leading up to her joining, and her numerous bits of dialogue afterwards. So for me anyways, while it would be obviously appreciated to have the best of both worlds, she doesn't need to have the best S-Link.

While characters like Tae and such need to pull out all the stops with their S-Links, since you don't hang out with them like that.

That Forehead

Great, now I'm going to be on the lookout for this...

Veitsev

Go with Makoto. Without going into detail there is a sequence of events that takes place at the end of the game that is IMO more thematically impact (and different than the other girls) if Makoto is your girl. Its not a huge deal or anything but I think it flows better. Its clear that the game considers her the "canon" choice. Go with Makoto your first play through then do whatever for NG+.

Moofers

It's interesting seeing who people say is the "canon" girlfriend. I've seen multiple answers on that and each time I wonder what it is that makes the writer so certain. I think there isn't any one obvious choice.

Except Becky. ;)

I never had an issue in P3 and P4 with this. In 3 I went with Mitsuru, and in 4 I went for Rise - I never regretted my choices and still like both characters to this day.

Not sure if its a mark of good quality or bad quality that I can't decide which to romance in P5.

RalchAC

It's interesting seeing who people say is the "canon" girlfriend. I've seen multiple answers on that and each time I wonder what it is that makes the writer so certain. I think there isn't any one obvious choice.

Except Becky. ;)

You know. Her character arc is all about
redeeming herself and becoming a good teacher
. And you decide to drag her into an affair with one of her students.

You should feel bad for it.
I'm kidding. But seriously. You're destroying any kind of impact the MC actions may have had by doing that :l

She shouldn't have been a romance option IMO.

Top Bottom