• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Social-Link/Confidant discussion |OT| Laughing Banana is Makoto's husbando

I think the game should have dropped those "5 points at stat" checks for female party members Confidants. Not only because they're the most common characters people is going to romance (and the ones people usually try to level up ASAP, anyway), but because they unlock important skills during the game (including a new Persona).

The game seemed to give players a few events to hang out with whoever you choose (Hawaii trip, School festival and all), but I don't think a lot of people would have maxed stats by September.

I think they should have had the checks for party members (well, unless maybe Haru, which is a late option) at level 3-4 (so it's more like a "hey, have you been managing your time well enough?) and lock those 5* walls behind other character that, while useful, don't have get as many special scenes due to not going to the same school as you.

I would have done something like this:

Ann and Ryuji: 2 stat check.
Yusuke and Makoto: 3 stat check.
Futaba and Haru: 4 stat check.

Did Persona 4 Golden had the same kind of "walls"? I don't remember having the same issue when playing that game. I do remember Persona 3 being pretty brutal in that sense. You couldn't get to level 1 unless you had X stat at max.
it did
maragret required rank 3 knowledge
nanako required lvl 3 expression at rank 4 and lvl 5 expression at rank 6
dojima requires lvl 2 at rank 2,lvl 3 at rank 3 and lvl 4 and rank 5
naoto requires max knowledge and max courage to start
sayoko requires lvl 3 diligence to start
shu requires max understanding

I need a Sae romance option in P5C/P5R with flustered expressions like Kawakami pls Atlus
romance not specifically necessary, just give me dialogue options that will leave her flustered like when you + Ryuuji meet Kawakami at the fishing place and call her the Fishing Master

RalchAC

it did
maragret required rank 3 knowledge
nanako required lvl 3 expression at rank 4 and lvl 5 expression at rank 6
dojima requires lvl 2 at rank 2,lvl 3 at rank 3 and lvl 4 and rank 5
naoto requires max knowledge and max courage to start
sayoko requires lvl 3 diligence to start
shu requires max understanding

I must had done an amazing job at that game then lol.

Astral

Damn. It looks like I'll be hanging out with Makoto at Hawaii then. I'm on 8/24 and I doubt I'll increase Kawakami another 5 levels by then. Hifumi stands no chance since I just started her's.

What scene is this.

Ryuuji will call you for an optional event on a day off (I can't remember the exact date though, sorry). He takes you fishing to chill and while you are there you meet Kawakami, who uses fishing as a way to relax from the stresses of what's going on in her life. Ryuuji notes that she seems to be a pro and you have an option to call her something. If you pick the "Master" title (first option), she gets super embarrassed and slightly angry and her expression is great.

I'm on mobile but I'll look for a YouTube link later Link below

https://youtu.be/kcrg5SJ-zus

I must had done an amazing job at that game then lol.

Was it actually that hard to rank up confidants in Persona 5, though? I did a pretty bad job of managing my stats, not having the right arcanas at all times, going to Mementos too often, etc., and I still maxed a ton of confidants. I didn't even get to max Temperance or hit Fortune 7, which are the big time-saving confidant abilities.

The stat gates are temporary roadblocks, but I managed to max most of the people who had them. The only one that felt truly egregious was Guts 4 for Hanged Man, because you gain access so early in the game and then have to wait for months to even start that confidant.

I feel like if Sae was an option I wouldn't even need to worry about who I'll romance.

Either that or I'd worry more.

Dammit P5. I just want to play you.

Not strictly confidant related, but I believe I have missed a text from Mishima for a mementos quest
We aren't just your slaves
. I'm on NG+ and was hoping to do a 100% run for the platinum.

Am I boned?

Zafir

Not strictly confidant related, but I believe I have missed a text from Mishima for a mementos quest
We aren't just your slaves
. I'm on NG+ and was hoping to do a 100% run for the platinum.

Am I boned?

Yeah, he doesn't send texts again as far as I'm aware.

Astral

So from what I understand, you need 100k to even start Chihayo? After finishing Devil and Sun, my nights are more free but goddamn that shit will leave me broke. Not to mention Kawakami already asking me for 5k a night.

Aki-at

So from what I understand, you need 100k to even start Chihayo? After finishing Devil and Sun, my nights are more free but goddamn that shit will leave me broke. Not to mention Kawakami already asking me for 5k a night.

If you finish her you'll get the 100k back.

She's a must because of her affinity reading that'll help you boost whichever person you want to get closer to.

Astral

If you finish her you'll get the 100k back.

She's a must because of her affinity reading that'll help you boost whichever person you want to get closer to.

I've definitely been getting a lot more "It doesn't look like we're gonna grow closer just yet" situations than in P4. I guess I'll sell some shit and see how much I have. I don't wanna stay too broke so that I can still continue Kawakami.

Sayad

That said I think it's worse than 3. In 3 it was mainly just a start requirement. In 5 for some reason they added mid-link requirements too. Like how Makoto requires rank 3 knowledge to start and then half way through asks you for rank 5 Charm - which no one on their first playthrough will be anywhere close to at that point.

Yeah, it's out of nowhere and you can't be prepared for it, it has nothing to do with Makoto's personality and thus can't be foreseen beforehand, "oh you're not charming enough for what's-her-name-not-Makoto for you to be Makoto's partner in the double date", wtf!

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Can someone remind me how I can quickly get my proficiency up. I'd decided to not go the Haru route for my en playthrough, but changed my mind. I'm at level 3 right now (at Sept 12) and I believe I need to be at 5.

Can someone remind me how I can quickly get my proficiency up. I'd decided to not go the Haru route for my en playthrough, but changed my mind. I'm at level 3 right now (at Sept 12) and I believe I need to be at 5.

Read books about it, make tools whenever possible, work at the beef bowl shop, and if you have Iwais link it apparently boosts proficiency.

Be sure to use Chihayas luck reading to help get it up faster.

Read the movie book and watch movies. Its like a +4 for stats. Also some S links give stats in one or the other. Don't focus on knowledge unless you wanna romance Hifumi.

The rewards for topping exams is shit which pissed me off.

Aki-at

I've definitely been getting a lot more "It doesn't look like we're gonna grow closer just yet" situations than in P4. I guess I'll sell some shit and see how much I have. I don't wanna stay too broke so that I can still continue Kawakami.

Remember when you use her for affinity readings you have the respective card of the person who you want to grow closer with for max effect. Not only does it boost you to the next level, even if it costs ¥5,000, it doesn't move time forward and the person will open up for the next s link event, even if at the start of the day they weren't leveled up.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Yeah, I don't get getting 'charm' when you finish high in exams. Was way better in P4 where you got a bunch of cash influx - if you haven't been abusing confuse in mementos bosses, it can get a little tight.

But yeah, now that I'm finishing up palace 5, Fortune Rank 7, every day without fail, has helped immensely with getting rid of the 'nothing happens' days with confidants. Kawakami rank 10 is great (free lock picks and going out at night), don't get me wrong, but even with the 5000 yen per time cost, Chihaya blows her out of the water if you have the money.

PS: Sae romance would be amazing in P5 crimson, especially the 'betrayal' aspect that would come up while she's interrogating you.

However, that would have to be a retooling of a LOT of the 'interrogation sequences' and/or be really wonky chronologically because to her, she'd somehow suddenly 'know' that you were dating her, 1/2 to 3/4 through the game or whatever, instead of at the beginning of the game?

evJh4uV.jpg

PENhZXm.jpg

galvenize

*Party defeats shadow Kamoshida*

Ann text: Thanks, I owe you so much.
Joker half jokingly: It was all Ryuji
Ann: You're right!

34c5a5d89699a28f2486c23c5b381486b62553f3eba9ebaccf36df6306494e00.jpg

aly

I thought Yusuke wasn't interested in Ann, but some of his comments indicate otherwise. Also is there any point to bothering with Ohya? Like are any of her perks worth it.

LotusHD

Banned
I thought Yusuke wasn't interested in Ann, but some of his comments indicate otherwise. Also is there any point to bothering with Ohya? Like are any of her perks worth it.

If you don't care about her story or... like her, then I don't think so?

What is her Lv 10 perk?

aly

If you don't care about her story or... like her, then I don't think so?

What is her Lv 10 perk?

Because she's awesome? And no, her skills suck.

Security level will not increase and will drop to zero overnight.

Ya her abilities suck, it's a pity :(

I don't hate her story, but it's a shame about her skills then. Def. gonna put her on the back burner for now.

OrionX

I recently did Yusuke's rank 8 event, and if you suggest
that he paint Ann again, he basically says he has no interest in her now that he knows her personality... With Ann sitting right there.
lol

aly

I recently did Yusuke's rank 8 event, and if you suggest
that he paint Ann again, he basically says he has no interest in her now that he knows her personality... With Ann sitting right there.
lol

lmao, I can't wait to see that then. My top burn so far belongs to Futaba talking to our favorite phan Mishima
in the diner. Poor NPC Mishima.

OrionX

lmao, I can't wait to see that then. My top burn so far belongs to Futaba talking to our favorite phan Mishima
in the diner. Poor NPC Mishima.

Yup, that scene alone was enough to make Futaba a top tier Persona character imo. XD

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Ohya's skill is great if you're terrible at avoiding detection and need to spend several trips to a palace to clear it out............

And, TBH, if the discovery bar didn't go down by like 10% whenever you pulled off an ambush, it might actually mean something.

But it's so easy to just put things back down to zero that it becomes irrelevant, since the game WANTS you to do ambushes all the time.

She really needed another set of skills in between the palace alert-reduction ones. It's making me save her for last, if at all, of the confidants since I've already maxed charm through sun.

Honestly, I feel like a Sae romance would make even less sense than the Kawakami one.

Admittedly, Becky's situation is a little weird (even if they do address it at the end of the game with the whole student-teacher thing), but Sae's could be interesting (but at the same time, kind of a retread) in that instead of just Makoto 'sabotaging' her, you'd also be involved in trying to understand how the police think, in order to stay one step ahead.

But yeah, It'd be admittedly pretty difficult to pull off from a 'making sense' perspective, if only for the investigation scenes would have to have already mentioned it before you hit rank 10.

Top Bottom