• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Social-Link/Confidant discussion |OT| Laughing Banana is Makoto's husbando

Don't worry guys, I'm romancing both Makoto AND Haru. And everyone. Always. But yeah I totally ship MC and Makoto as canon. I tend to choose the girl that seems to have the same temperament as the MC. In 4 it's Yukiko and in 3 it's Mitsuru. But in 3 it gets a little complicated because of Yukari and Aigis. The game itself seems to like those two seeing as they share romantic scene outside of their social links, so I chose Yukari because she's an actual person.
Nice to someone else pick the right girl in p3 and p4

MoonFrog

I keep dating Makoto. Idk. I get that way with games with romance; tend to find it very difficult to change lanes. That said, despite being sort of 'meh' with many of her support conversations, I really like Makoto a lot. Light spoilers:
I do like the dialogue choices that gain affection, so that part feels natural and I like it when the conversation gets more personal but the host storyline is sort of 'eh.' I get how it fits but... Anyways, I identify with a lot of what she's feeling in life and she's well-characterized in the body of the game. So throw in that she's smart, competent, badass, and a cute girl and she's both relate-able to me and also a dream girl. I also like the small things they did, like her not knowing how to take a selfie (fuck selfie culture :p), how she took you to a Yakuza (series) movie, how she quietly wanted to impress someone in the bikini scene, and how eager she was to try new things despite being naive. The date where you make you cook the food was fun in that way. I wish I'd gotten to cook for her myself, because that's actually something I enjoy doing irl (liked doing that for friends in P4 a lot).

Makoto is a lot like Mitsuru, but much more focused on the vulnerability, naivete, etc., which you mostly just get in late game Mitsuru conversations. It is a bit like they threw a Mitsuru character into the support conversations of Chie (doling justice to criminal types) and made her more obviously a girl, whereas part of Mitsuru's charm is that she came across as a woman so often. Makoto is also (again like Chie) more boyish in her interests while also wanting to be taken as a woman (again like Chie).

If I were to date someone else in a third playthrough, it'd be Futaba, who shares a lot in common with Makoto with respect to her relationship to the real me. Really, those were the two characters I personally identified with the most and again Futaba is also a mix of an attractive other and a person I get. I'm glad it was pretty easy to turn her down, even if she was comically dense in allowing me to reinterpret her very specific feelings as friendship. Idk, I also felt it might not be best for her to get into a relationship with just about the only person other than
Sojiro
she felt completely okay around, so I was fairly okay with leaving her as a little sister who'd get over her infatuation with me.

Nightbird

I feel like I'm missing something with Hifumis social link.

I got the quest to go change her mother's heart, and even tough I went trough all the 40-something areas of mementos that I can currently access, I never got the message that I was on the area where the mother is.

Did I do something wrong?

I feel like I'm missing something with Hifumis social link.

I got the quest to go change her mother's heart, and even tough I went trough all the 40-something areas of mementos that I can currently access, I never got the message that I was on the area where the mother is.

Did I do something wrong?
Akzeriyyuth floor 6

What does it say about me as a person if instead of being repulsed by the Becky confidant and claiming ludo-narrative dissonance I choose her as my waifu?

What does it say about me as a person if instead of being repulsed by the Becky confidant and claiming ludo-narrative dissonance I choose her as my waifu?
You are willing to overlook morally questionable (but not outright detestable) circumstances in order to fulfill your desires of being with a woman who shows strong motherly qualities, while shouldering large enough burdens that they require emotional support that you are more than happy to provide.

/attemptatbeingoneofthosequizconclusionthings

that, or Maid fetish?

You are willing to overlook morally questionable (but not outright detestable) circumstances in order to fulfill your desires of being with a woman who shows strong motherly qualities, while shouldering large enough burdens that they require emotional support that you are more than happy to provide.

/attemptatbeingoneofthosequizconclusionthings

that, or Maid fetish?

Lol I will keep that in mind as I progress.

I will say though I think it is disingenuous to equate Kamoshida and Kawakami as many have done.

Jiraiza

More or less maxed out my SLs and stats on my first playthrough except for the story related ones (Magician, Fool, and Justice).

All in all, my top three favorite SLs are probably Sojiro's, Yusuke's, and Futaba's. Pretty disappointed at how most of the SLs still suffer from being in some alternative universe, but most of the stories were fairly touching. Devil's the absolute worst though. Honestly didn't give a damn about her entire shtick at all. Only saving grace was Lala, really.

More or less maxed out my SLs and stats on my first playthrough except for the story related ones (Magician, Fool, and Justice).

All in all, my top three favorite SLs are probably Sojiro's, Yusuke's, and Futaba's. Pretty disappointed at how most of the SLs still suffer from being in some alternative universe, but most of the stories were fairly touching. Devil's the absolute worst though. Honestly didn't give a damn about her entire shtick at all. Only saving grace was Lala, really.
Amusing to me that
You want social links to not sit in their own world, but the one you hate is the one that is actually directly tied to the main story
Not to say that your two things arent mutually exclusive or anything, just an observation.

However I've maintained that I quite like when this series fully separates the links from the main story. For party members you get to see another side of them that is completely unnecessary to explore, and for non party members you get a view of the world outside the bubble of the story. P5 is actually way more dialed into the story than the past games due to the whole "Confidant" and Mementos thing

Lol I will keep that in mind as I progress.

I will say though I think it is disingenuous to equate Kamoshida and Kawakami as many have done.

I'm actually kind of surprised this Kotaku opinion piece about the adult relationships in Persona 5 hasn't been mentioned yet, unless I missed it in the search. It touches on the aspect you posted inside your spoiler, and in general is an interesting read. Note that there are relationship and some story spoilers in that article.

I don't know how true it is that Persona is mostly played by adults, especially in Japan, but I do think that controlling the player character and the general way your relationship with Kawakami is pitched gives the minor in the relationship much more agency than any of Kamoshida's victims. But it also kind of plays into stereotypes about teacher-student trysts, where teenage boys having sex with female teachers is usually shown as a much more benign arrangement than if you flip the genders. Like, if you had the same relationship option in P3P's female protagonist route, would we still see that as okay? I imagine that would cause more controversy, though I definitely still think some people would be totally fine with it given the agency differences in actually PLAYING that character.

I'm actually kind of surprised this Kotaku opinion piece about the adult relationships in Persona 5 hasn't been mentioned yet, unless I missed it in the search. It touches on the aspect you posted inside your spoiler, and in general is an interesting read. Note that there are relationship and some story spoilers in that article.

I don't know how true it is that Persona is mostly played by adults, especially in Japan, but I do think that controlling the player character and the general way your relationship with Kawakami is pitched gives the minor in the relationship much more agency than any of Kamoshida's victims. But it also kind of plays into stereotypes about teacher-student trysts, where teenage boys having sex with female teachers is usually shown as a much more benign arrangement than if you flip the genders. Like, if you had the same relationship option in P3P's female protagonist route, would we still see that as okay? I imagine that would cause more controversy, though I definitely still think some people would be totally fine with it given the agency differences in actually PLAYING that character.
That kotaku article combined with the common social perception that you mentioned I think highlights why these come across so positively to many players.
Kotaku: "These are your adult romance options in Persona 5. Three women at various crisis points in their careers and lows in their personal lives, desperate and lonely and vulnerable.". That vulnerability really sheds the minor-adult relationship view from the player standpoint. As the player most of us are adults and at this point we are looking past Joker's situation and seeing some broken ass people that are looking for support. There is an appeal to being the pillar for another person, and the adult characters in P5 really offer that opportunity. Add in that Takemi and Kawakami are written in an engaging way, and its pretty easy to look past the adult-16 year old piece and just take the romance. However if the gender's were flipped, I could definitely see more people struggling to be ok with it. Though letting a female MC act as a support pillar to a struggling male would be a nice change of pace anyway.

EDIT: Kotaku totally forgot about Chihaya though

DOUBLE EDIT: Actually Chihaya is an interesting case, as Chihaya is the only adult to come onto Joker first. "How do you feel about older women?"

RalchAC

That kotaku article combined with the common social perception that you mentioned I think highlights why these come across so positively to many players.
Kotaku: "These are your adult romance options in Persona 5. Three women at various crisis points in their careers and lows in their personal lives, desperate and lonely and vulnerable.". That vulnerability really sheds the minor-adult relationship view from the player standpoint. As the player most of us are adults and at this point we are looking past Joker's situation and seeing some broken ass people that are looking for support. There is
an appeal to being the pillar for another person, and the adult characters in P5 really offer that opportunity. Add in that Takemi and Kawakami are written in an engaging way, and its pretty easy to look past the adult-16 year old piece and just take the romance. However if the gender's were flipped, I could definitely see more people struggling to be ok with it. Though letting a female MC act as a support pillar to a struggling male would be a nice change of pace anyway.

EDIT: Kotaku totally forgot about Chihaya though

DOUBLE EDIT: Actually Chihaya is an interesting case, as Chihaya is the only adult to come onto Joker first. "How do you feel about older women?"

Chihaya has a design and a background that makes her look younger. I mean, the MC is 17 and I'd say Chihaya is like 19.

I don't see a problem with a 2 year difference in most cases.

But Kawakami and Tae are in their late 20s, so it's a totally different.

OrionX

Yeah I've been thinking about that... If the mc was female, I highly doubt they'd let her romance a male "Becky." It would get a lot more criticism.

Chihaya has a design and a background that makes her look younger. I mean, the MC is 17 and I'd say Chihaya is like 19.

I don't see a problem with a 2 year difference in most cases.

But Kawakami and Tae are in their late 20s, so it's a totally different.
though I definitely see that as possible, it seems odd to bring up "Older Women" if you are only 2 years older, but maybe just being out of high school was enough for her to feel that way.

Yeah I've been thinking about that... If the mc was female, I highly doubt they'd let her romance a male "Becky." It would get a lot more criticism.
I'm curious how it would go. Its an interesting thing to explore in fiction, especially wish fulfillment side of fiction. Interviews With Monster girls has a host of teenage girls falling in love with their male teacher. I found it really fucking awkward myself, but the presentation their is much different from a game.

RalchAC

though I definitely see that as possible, it seems odd to bring up "Older Women" if you are only 2 years older, but maybe just being out of high school was enough for her to feel that way.

You don't see that many relationships where the woman is older tbh.

In any case, seeing the background information she shared during the Confidant, I think she is 19.

Due to her personal circumstances, she was desperate to leave her hometown. It's safe to say she did as soon as she finished highschool.
She was at Tokyo for a few weeks, things went wrong, somebody tried to recruit her as a hostess.
Then she was recruited and I think she says she's been part of that sect scam doe a year

There is nothing in her character arc that makes it sound like she is 20 years old or older.

It's not our fault the game won't let us romance our prosecutor.

Atlus knows they can't give the obvious best girl option because it makes all others irrelevant.
I respect most options but if your into drunk journalists then all I can say is live by your mistakes.

This thread has terrible taste, everyone wants to bang their teacher or their younger cousin. Or even worse the stick in the mud android that's trying to pretend to be human.

AbsolutelyDisgusting.jpg

I agree with you about Aigis, most over rated character in Persona rivaled only by Makoto

Ferrio

Banned
I'm glad my MC took Makoto to his girlfriend's bar to turn her romance down. "Do you come here often?" Oh how little do you know Makoto.

OrionX

the stick in the mud android that's trying to pretend to be human.

AbsolutelyDisgusting.jpg

I agree with you about Aigis, most over rated character in Persona rivaled only by Makoto

tumblr_njb1i8ecyV1r0lwogo5_400.gif

What date options are going to be available in the next persona? This time we've had teachers and the doctor, what's next?

Police Officer "You literally make me break the law to be with you, I truly am a terrible cop"

Milf "You're the same age as my daughter, but I still think you'll make a good father for him"

Said Daughter "I hope my mom doesn't find out about us"

Top Bottom