• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

For what it's worth, I'm not. I don't even see how you can be disappointed yet when people haven't even gone through the story.
Thanks. Even if the plot is disappointing, what grabbed me were the characters and gameplay to this series originally. And Persona 4 had a terrible main plot, IMO. But it's still one of my favorites.

Zolo

Im all for that
The problem with the spoiler thread is that you might learn more than you want ;p

Just open the thread, click post at the top, and ask someone to PM you if you want to know something specific. But yeah. Same thing happened with me wondering if Morgana had a human form only to get bigger spoilers.

The next Dengeki Playstation will feature P5 on its cover.

Famitsu will too

Some of the best promo art has been the magazine covers.

How about this: if people are willing to answer spoiler specific questions via pm, post in here indicating as such. If you just want general spoilers, go to the spoiler thread.

Just open the thread, click post at the top, and ask someone to PM you if you want to know something specific. But yeah. Same thing happened with me wondering if Morgana had a human form only to get bigger spoilers.
Wait can you PM me the answer? I have a bet riding on it, lol.
Edit:
Thanks y'all.

Sophia

Wait nobody actually played it till the end?

The game isn't even out yet, and Atlus games are typically long games.

I am really baffled at the people (not necessarily here, but elsewhere too) jumping to conclusions about the quality of the game's story based entirely upon some out-of-context datamined leaks.

Some stores in Taiwan were selling it early from Sunday, that's the only source of pre release copies I know of. Everything else is datamined.

Mediking

*peeks my head back in briefly* Not gonna guilt trip anyone... but spoiling yourself on story details and characters? I know it's tough but don't give up. DON'T GIVE IN TO TEMPTATION. I'll fully come back after spoiler hell has died.

Zolo

The game isn't even out yet, and Atlus games are typically long games.

I am really baffled at the people (not necessarily here, but elsewhere too) jumping to conclusions about the quality of the game's story based entirely upon some out-of-context datamined leaks.

They seem to be judging the quality of the story based on predictability which I don't consider criteria for quality depending on how well-executed it is.

barybll

Banned
Ah ok. I was wondering why some people were already angry about the story lol.

Dont worry there is no context to what we saw whatsoever
We know pretty much nothing of the non-cutscene parts.

And the only angry people I saw were angry due to a (kinda) amusing thing

Does (not an actual spoiler)
some people not liking the story
really qualify as a spoiler? There's been a lot of black bars covering... nothing.

DNAbro

Does (not an actual spoiler)
some people not liking the story
really qualify as a spoiler? There's been a lot of black bars covering... nothing.

Just being overly cautious.

Also a note to your earlier question.

In the ongoing saga of "Can you date a guy in Persona 5 or not?" their is a trophy for
getting in a relationship. No gender specified. I asked Mystic to translate it.

Mediking

Oddly enough... I'm looking forward to seeing the small stuff like: "You studied very intensely. .... Your academics upgraded!!!" and "You decided to watch a movie with your friends. .... You wished you had chose a better movie." God, I miss that stuff.

Lynx_7

So, people angry due to something amusing, story being apparently
predictable
, and the quality of the "twist" hanging on whether or not its well executed, and nobody really knowing what to feel due to a lack of context?

It's like trying to piece together a little puzzle game outside of the game itself. Lol
Wanna read some more vague general impressions before writing my fanfic of what P5 is gonna be like. So far it goes (I mean it's just me fucking around without really having a clue about anything but I'll tag it anyway for the more sensitive folks):
theres a big evil corporation behind the game's plot, mid game they figure out the main bad guy but HOLY MOTHER OF TWISTS there was someone else controlling him from the shadows *wink, wink* all along!!!!1! Goro betrays them because he's the son of the guy behind the corporation but ends up doing a double heel turn after he realizes friendship is more important and our beautiful heroes save the day. BUT HOLY CRAP THERE WAS A DIVINE DEITY THAT WAS CONTROLLING GORO'S FATHER!!!!!! You fight it for the crimson ending and the last scene is like the last scene of the dark knight rises but with a retired glasses-kun, Anne and Ryouji. Some people are angry because Morgana's human form(disclaimer: I have no idea if she has one) is actually a perverted(luxuria) ugly old man.

I'm pretty sure I nailed it so don't even click it or you pretty much just played the whole game right there.

Lunar15

This is why I'm pretty big on avoiding spoilers, and even impressions before a game comes out: Story isn't a collection of plot points and twists, it's about context, atmosphere, and emotion. If someone colors that too much before you jump in, or makes you expect a plot point in a certain way, it can really fuck up how you interpret the game.

If someone straight up told me the plot points from P3 and P4, I would have told you those games sounded pretty bad.

barybll

Banned
So, people angry due to something amusing, story being apparently
predictable
, and the quality of the "twist" hanging on whether or not its well executed, and nobody really knowing what to feel due to a lack of context?

It's like trying to piece together a little puzzle game outside of the game itself. Lol
Wanna read some more vague general impressions before writing my fanfic of what P5 is gonna be like. So far it goes (I mean it's just me fucking around without really having a clue about anything but I'll tag it anyway for the more sensitive folks):
theres a big evil corporation behind the game's plot, mid game they figure out the main bad guy but HOLY MOTHER OF TWISTS there was someone else controlling him from the shadows *wink, wink* all along!!!!1! Goro betrays them because he's the son of the guy behind the corporation but ends up doing a double heel turn after he realizes friendship is more important and our beautiful heroes save the day. BUT HOLY CRAP THERE WAS A DIVINE DEITY THAT WAS CONTROLLING GORO'S FATHER!!!!!! You fight it for the crimson ending and the last scene is like the last scene of the dark knight rises but with a retired glasses-kun, Anne and Ryouji. Some people are angry because Morgana's human form(disclaimer: I have no idea if she has one) is actually a perverted(luxuria) ugly old man.

I'm pretty sure I nailed it so don't even click it or you pretty much just played the whole game right there.

For some reason I want to read more of this plot.

Did you read any spoiler before? because it sounds like you are onto something ;p

Zolo

This is why I'm pretty big on avoiding spoilers, and even impressions before a game comes out: Story isn't a collection of plot points and twists, it's about context, atmosphere, and emotion. If someone colors that too much before you jump in, or makes you expect a plot point in a certain way, it can really fuck up how you interpret the game.

Exactly. You could say the killer in Persona 4 is predictable and of a certain archetype, but that doesn't mean the character doesn't work. Hell, Chrono Trigger's story isn't anything unique, but it's highly praised for those three key points.

Lynx_7

For some reason I want to read more of this plot.

Did you read any spoiler before? because it sounds like you are onto something ;p

I read nothing beyond the non-spoilered impressions you guys are posting here and I'd find it hilarious if I actually got anything right out of that. Probably
the guy behind the guy
since Persona games love this trope. I'd actually be surprised if there wasn't that to some extent.

I'm 50-50 about it. I don't read spoilers but I do like knowing the general reception of some aspects of the game so I can adjust my expectations accordingly. I was spoiled about TPP having a rushed ending so knowing that beforehand actually improved my experience since I didn't set myself up for disappointment. That said, when something falls in the "divisive" category I'm more likely than not to side with the positive side after experiencing the game myself, so as long as P5 isn't an actual disappointment instead of some hyperbole from a minority then I'll be fine.
I just can't go 100% blind when it's something I care about because curiosity gets to me so I gotta at least know if folks are enjoying it, almost as a sort of validation that this is actually worth the wait.

Thank god Square ain't pulling this shit with XV so I actually might be able to go in 100% blind on that one. I think I'll try to avoid looking at the metacritic score beforehand too.

Mediking

Getting some complaints... please remember to properly mark spoilers you guys.

I know it ain't me. I haven't spoiled myself at all. I refuse to be spoiled. The chance of me spoiling something when I barely know anything besides the basic stuff is very small. Lol but yeah you guys.... it's best to spoiler tag anything just in case!

Z3M0G

My thread got 0 attention so I'll just repost here:

LTTP: Persona 3 Portable is much more compelling after playing Persona 4 Golden

I've owned P3P for more years than P4G (which I recently finally finished). At the time of release on PSP, I found the experience a bit odd... the fact that they reduced the 3D environments down to 2D portrait locations where you simply move a cursor around, instead of walking your character around was a bit of a turn off...

Well, after playing P4G on Vita, which had the full 3D graphics and environments intact, let's just say I have a better understanding of what I am missing and it isn't much. After a short time, I used the SQUARE button menu to quick-select locations to travel to them instead of taking the time to walk. And moving a cursor around the room to talk to people now feels quite a bit convenient, actually.

I found P4G a bit grindy, with the whole daily school-life thing... and I know this game will be more of that, but I find the interface to do so is a bit refreshing! It feels like it will take less time to get things done!

I hear this game is a bit more of a mature tale than P4G, and while I started this game many years ago and only got an hour or two into it, right now I'm only a few minutes in and can already feel that this will have a darker tone. I'm looking forward to it. I'm looking forward to learning more about the Midnight Hour (vs Midnight Channel).

Back in the day, the "shoot yourself with a gun" thing was a bit of a turn off too... I hope that doesn't bug me this time around. I guess I know it is there and to expect it. The first time around, I found that so off-putting it was one of the main reasons I quit. But the biggest reason was the interface, which I now find a bonus! So let's see how this goes...

I played a couple hours during the day today, getting farther than I ever did when I first played it... I'm definitely enjoying it! There are things I miss from P4G... like how repeats of the same Persona ability are not sped up like in P4G... but characters and story are fun so far.

I played a couple hours during the day today, getting farther than I ever did when I first played it... I'm definitely enjoying it! There are things I miss from P4G... like how repeats of the same Persona ability are not sped up like in P4G... but characters and story are fun so far.

Enjoy P3P, it's a fabulous game! How far in are you and which protagonist did you choose?

Mediking

I also own Persona 3 Portable and P4G. P3P is awesome but that lack of 3D overworld took me a long time to get over. I love Tartarus on P3P because its 3D. Lol

jzbluz

I prefer P3P because of FeMC, and the extra social links which made me care more about the characters than FES. I didn't really care about its shortcomings, but it could have been because I had already beaten FES.

Well, if you're fine with the cursor stuff and the VN format for cutscenes, then I'd say you'll enjoy P3P a whole ton. :)

asagami_

Banned
I prefer P3P because of FeMC, and the extra social links which made me care more about the characters than FES. I didn't really care about its shortcomings, but it could have been because I had already beaten FES.

+1

To me FeMC is the best Persona MC and is unlikely I could change my opinion in the future.

Top Bottom