• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PES 2015 runs at 720p on Xbox One

spwolf

I understand that maybe fox engine isn't well optimised for the xbox one and that the xbox one has bottlenecks and so on, but it's a football game. While it does look better than FIFA 15, it's not that much better that it has to be 720p

believe it or not, both football games have always had issues with graphics and performance... FIFA 2015 had some stuttering even in demo.

Yep, seems like a shitty engine, given most games are achiving higher resolution, and Fifa being 1080 and looking better.

The engine propably needs a large framebuffer and it's not Konami's fault if MS decided to go with a small pool of Esram.

CLEEK

Instead of comparing it to GTAV, because that'll be a technical mess like most GTA's are, what does Fifa run at?

FIFA is 1080p/60 on both PS4 and XB1.

But to be fair, it's not a great comparison as FIFA 15 looks like arseholes compared to the PES15. FIFA looks like an upscaled last gen game, where as PES has great lighting and substantially better character models.

The blame for 720p is with the 32MB of eSRAM. The render target would be too big for the measly amount of fast RAM in the XB1. So Konami would either have to scale back effects for the XB1 version to reduce the Bits Per Pixel of the G-Buffer, or reduce the resolution (pixel count) until the G-Buffer fits into 32MB.

The former would take more work and would mean the XB1 and PS4 versions are not the same under the hood. The latter is easier and allows the exact same lighting, materials, effects etc in both versions.

julrik

The PS4 version looks better than Fifa imo, the character models are a huge step up.
I have been playing the demo a lot on PS4, and while I can agree that the player models are better in PES, I'd say FIFA has better graphics in general. I.e. the grass in PES looks horrible and player faces don't resemble their real counterparts as much as FIFA's scanned faces. The gameplay is much better in PES than FIFA, but you'd expect the graphics to be a lot better in 2014. The same goes for FIFA btw, but at least FIFA has 1080p/60. 720p on a new-gen console is a joke when the graphics are as bad as they are.

Prine

Banned
The engine propably needs a large framebuffer and it's not Konami's fault if MS decided to go with a small pool of Esram.
But most devs have managed to work with it and produce gorgeous looking visuals at a much higher resolution. Sorry but this points to the engineering being sloppy, this is an exception, I think you'd agree.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Seems like optimizing for the Xbox One is not their priority. It also seems MS does not care about PES enough - yet....

CLEEK

But most devs have managed to work with it and produce gorgeous looking visuals at a much higher resolution. Sorry but this points to the engineering being sloppy.

The best looking XB1 games have targeted the hardware and used Forward or Forward+ rendering. The Fox Engine uses Deferred Rendering, which the XB1 has a fundamental bottleneck in it limited amount of high bandwidth RAM.

The Fox Engine has been in development since before the XB1 and PS4 specs were known (it was first demoed in 2011). The world was moving toward Deferred Rendering. All the best late life PS3 and 360 games used it.

Like I said, the XB1 versions of PES (or MGS) could run at native 1080p with a deferred engine if the BPP is vastly reduced. Or the game could run with the same look, lighting, effects as the PS4/PC version e.g. Next Gen and run at a lower res. It's not 'lazy devs' it's the choice between these two option.

Would you rather have an XB1 game look like a last gen game yet runs at native 1080p, or do you want next gen effects and lighting, but not at 1080p?

Exactly. Blame goes to MS for cheaping out and using a silly design.

Unfortunately, since most games are cross-gen, many developers are going to have work their engines around the XBone's ESRAM size -- hurting both PC and PS4 gamers.

Top Bottom