• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online 2 Import |OT| YOUR MAJESTY

Recall

I'm struggling to progress in regards to gaining access to the other areas. Can anyone help?

I have been given this quest:

Weapon Palette Expansion
武器携帯数拡張申請試練・I
REQ: Obtain three Caterdran Crystals
NOTES: Caterdran crystals drop from the Caterdran boss in caves.
REWARD: An additional weapon palette

Yet I cannot access the caves.

I have been told I should have this quest, yet the quest giver will not give it:

Exploration Request For Volcano Caves
探索許可申請試練・I
REQ: S Rank “森林探索” Free-Forest Exploration in 15 minutes
REWARD: This unlocks caves.

Is this a bug? Have I missed some step? Any help, as I'm bored of just running around the forest and s-ranking the free-forest mission (with the boss at the end) in under 15 minutes and not getting anything.

Thanks.

Nishastra

Banned
Only thing I can think of is that you might not be high enough level to get it yet.

Odd that you'd be given an order that requires going there already if that's the case... Though I'm sure I've been given other things that weren't possible to complete when I got them. Like, I have a hard mode-only Force quest when I'm level 4 as a Force.

I'm struggling to progress in regards to gaining access to the other areas. Can anyone help?

I have been given this quest:

Weapon Palette Expansion
武器携帯数拡張申請試練・I
REQ: Obtain three Caterdran Crystals
NOTES: Caterdran crystals drop from the Caterdran boss in caves.
REWARD: An additional weapon palette

Yet I cannot access the caves.

I have been told I should have this quest, yet the quest giver will not give it:

Exploration Request For Volcano Caves
探索許可申請試練・I
REQ: S Rank “森林探索” Free-Forest Exploration in 15 minutes
REWARD: This unlocks caves.

Is this a bug? Have I missed some step? Any help, as I'm bored of just running around the forest and s-ranking the free-forest mission (with the boss at the end) in under 15 minutes and not getting anything.

Thanks.

IIRC, it could still be bugged. Several people mentioned the same problem during the OBT. The fix was that you had to de-select the quest and then re-select it again.

Speaking of bugs... I'm not sure I ever followed up, but the mysterious case of my stats dropping to a point where I couldn't equip my main weapon resolved itself by the time I logged in the next day. I wonder how many people's stats fluctuate on a daily basis without them realizing it...

Nishastra

Banned
Gaaaaaah. Just got Vol Dragon in a random Duel for the first time ever. I was wholly unprepared for that, though I did win in the end :p

It's hard to fight him in a smaller room.

Best part was that he was in the mission that ends with the accordion dragon as the boss.

So... warping NPC's in Block 20. While I find this just a bit funny, its a little worrisome that something so simple seemingly breaks the game. Just... what happened here?

Also, twice. I was on a collect, and suddenly it disappears and says I fail!

So... warping NPC's in Block 20. While I find this just a bit funny, its a little worrisome that something so simple seemingly breaks the game. Just... what happened here?

You mean like this?

KrcPb.jpg

Yeah, pretty much staying away from block 20 at this point.

Yeah. That. It's even better when you notice Koffe is above the campship door. Watching everyone freak out from above.

I'm just amazed is all.

canocha

Also, twice. I was on a collect, and suddenly it disappears and says I fail!

I wonder if its broomop or whatever guy striking again... or SEGA just messed it all up!

VariantX

speaking of bugs, has anyone ever got a CODE: COLLECT in caves, and one of the cubes spawns inside the level geometry therefore making it so you either have to run back to the entrance or pipe out and restart the mission?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
speaking of bugs, has anyone ever got a CODE: COLLECT in caves, and one of the cubes spawns inside the level geometry therefore making it so you either have to run back to the entrance or pipe out and restart the mission?
Afair there are usually more enemies killing which makes cubes spawn than the actual number of cubes required.

VariantX

Afair there are usually more enemies killing which makes cubes spawn than the actual number of cubes required.

Yeah but we swept the area clean of monsters, and it was visible on the mini-map and we were standing on top of where the mini-map said it should be but no cube to be found.

Nishastra

Banned
I think the game hates me today. I complained about a random Vol Dragon earlier... And just now, I got two Vol Dragons in a row in a room where Vol Dragon barely even fits.

Oh, and there were some Breeadas too for good measure.

If Sega's history is anything to go on they will probably crack down on any hacking/griefing on their JP servers. US/EU servers on the other hand.... expect at most one GM probably like PSOBB. PSO DC/GC US/EU servers were like the wild west pretty much. Actually the wild west probably had more rules.

Well I still can't play the game at all, always getting an "unexpected error" when booting up the game...
I don't have high hopes that the latest update will do anything against this but we never know...it's almost done I think so we'll see...

edit : actually it did the trick, I could launch it once but no sound though
edit2 : ok, everything's all right it seems, at least for now. Hope it's staying like that now!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
An official statement about those weird NPC locations appeared on the PSO2 site.
Basically they are investigating the issue, suggest switching blocks if you encounter the problem and ask for reporting hackers using the form on the site.
Fun fact - 75 hacker accounts were perma banned so far (since the open beta).

Hit level 25 tonight (thanks Nishastra, Netto-kun, and many others for grinding exp with me!) and got a good start on the 3x90 item quest. Hoping to see tundra by next week!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Hit level 25 tonight (thanks Nishastra, Netto-kun, and many others for grinding exp with me!) and got a good start on the 3x90 item quest. Hoping to see tundra by next week!
As for that quest, I suggest - Rappy quest (if you can find a group) for the forest items, Kyatadoran for the Cave items (since you aren't 30 yet and thus can't go the the free exploration Caves) and the Mining quest for the desert items.
Cave items are the hardest to get, mostly because of the enemy spread, but the other aren't half as bad.

Tillbo

So...I got this all installed and patched up yesterday using the awesome guide, but cannot create a character on Ship 2 at the moment.

Is there anywhere else good to find English speaking players? Also, does anyone know whether the character creation restrictions are likely to be lifted?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
So...I got this all installed and patched up yesterday using the awesome guide, but cannot create a character on Ship 2 at the moment.

Is there anywhere else good to find English speaking players? Also, does anyone know whether the character creation restrictions are likely to be lifted?
The restricted should be lifted in 1-2 weeks, according to Sega.

Recall

Fixed my issue. I changed my class to Force and did some levelling up and when I switched back to my Ranger the client order was there for beating the forest in under 15 minutes. No idea why it did that, but finally I am now in the caves.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Special maintenance tomorrow:
Thu, Jul 12 @ 9pm PDT - Fri, Jul 13 @ 2am PDT
Thu, Jul 12 @ 11pm CDT - Fri, Jul 13 @ 4am CDT
Fri, Jul 13 @ 12am EDT - Fri, Jul 13 @ 5am EDT
Fri, Jul 13 @ 4am UTC - Fri, Jul 13 @ 9am UTC
Fri, Jul 13 @ 1pm JST - Fri, Jul 13 @ 6pm JST
All servers will be online, since the problems appeared on other ships as well.
Hopefully this will fix the NPC glitches.

Edit:
Seems that the hackers have been banned and NPCs' locations are ok now. Still, this does not affect the maintenance.

arit

Anyone know how the ranking system works exactly? Until now I thought the first field(700pts one) was % enemies killed, but after a while I just ran past many and still got 100%.

Or at least some hints on how to complete Caves within 16minutes...

Anyone know how the ranking system works exactly? Until now I thought the first field(700pts one) was % enemies killed, but after a while I just ran past many and still got 100%.

Or at least some hints on how to complete Caves within 16minutes...

The kill percentage seems to be a flat "kill x number of enemies" - it would take more investigation than I'm willing to perform to figure out how many you need exactly but generally if you explore every portion of the map and kill every enemy you see, you're good. If you skimp on exploring the map you may want to kill a few extra spawns to be safe. If you're doing a client order that requires an S-rank and there's some time left, it doesn't hurt to stick around to kill extra enemies before running out of time either.

Another thing to note is that the ranking only takes into account kills that you were close enough that you earned the exp for them. So it's always best for your party to stick together, and to group up with any other parties you run into.

As for that quest, I suggest - Rappy quest (if you can find a group) for the forest items, Kyatadoran for the Cave items (since you aren't 30 yet and thus can't go the the free exploration Caves) and the Mining quest for the desert items.
Cave items are the hardest to get, mostly because of the enemy spread, but the other aren't half as bad.
If you can mooch from a late game party leader, hard time attack forest is also a great source.

It sure is, but I think the Rappy one isually has enemies spawning in closer proximity to each other.

I got like 70 yellow boxes over two Hard time attack runs, while it took me two quests to get like 4 for the Rappy one. Anecdotal experience for sure, but I got way more from TA than from any other quest.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I got like 70 yellow boxes over two Hard time attack runs, while it took me two quests to get like 4 for the Rappy one. Anecdotal experience for sure, but I got way more from TA than from any other quest.
I was lucky enough to get 40 items on the first 22 minute Mining quest run which was required for the Tundra and everyone in the party hated me for that. :(

6 nodes left on the 4th MB, most of which are drops from common items. Should have all 5 MBs 100% not too long after the maintenance.

Blueblur1

A new 4 Gamer article has been translated by Ricardo over at bumped.org:

Friday July 13, 2012 02:36
Phantasy Star Producer, Satoshi Sakai, Addresses his Foreign Fans

There is an extremely long interview posted on 4Gamer, but near the end, it seems Sakai has been watching the international Phantasy Star community for quite some time.
  • Basically each area will have its own separate server. They plan to have Europe and North America share the same server.
  • They are also eying on expanding into other parts of Asia, but it’s not at a stage where it can be talked about as of yet.
  • Since the laws of handling cash items is different in each country, it’s difficult for them to have everyone share the same server.
  • Since game culturalization will be necessary, there may be some changes to the game’s contents to reflect each nation. (PSUBLOG Comment: Find the list of seasonal lobbies that were data-mined a while back.)
  • Was shocked to see the Character Creation demo completely translated into English through a mod.
  • His official blog entries are translated overnight too. (Who would do such a thing?)
Link: http://bumped.org/psublog/phantasy-star-producer-satoshi-sakai-addresses-his-foreign-fans/

So there you have it. Separate servers again. It's not the best news but I'm hopeful that the English version won't lag so far behind. Especially now that they won't be making more money if new content is being released. We'll have to wait and see.

I played online for about 20 minutes last night, it's good to be back in pso again.

I think i'm dumb though, how do you pick up dropped items? tried everything I could think of (pc controls) and no go.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I had always seen PSO as a loot game, perhaps the original and then PSPortable series huge amounts of content spoiled me, but this game's total lack of new shit is turning me off many hours into it. Seems especially weird when theres not even that much "spend your real money" stuff for them to actually be making any considerable money from this. Seeeegaaaaaa~

Boss encounters are the only highlight, everything else just feels super boring. Is pushing me to reinstall the far better Vindictus with the EU version and get further than I did playing through a US laggy proxy (fuck you regional internet!). Just regrinding shit from scratch in an MMO thingy is a hard sell, ensuring I probably wont be touching the english version of this either!

Western press is going to eviscerate the "story". Total re-use of cutscene and level assets for Chapter 0, 1, 2? Wow. Just dont even bother with this animu kawaii titto nurse bullshit next time Sega. That isn't what people liked PSO for and a big reason why PSU was such a fluff on the first go. Cool shit happens intro, speech bubbles, cryptic data logs, bam, go down to that planet motherfucker and kill. If you want to make a voiced and cutscene filled space RPG, there are original Phantasy Star fans to be found sobbing in abandonment across the globe.

Wonko_C

The first PSO2 teaser trailer proposed us a truly connected, worldwide online game that shattered language barriers, something the original PSO did more than 10 years ago. I wonder what changed during development that made them not deliver on those promises.

EDIT: Or not. My brain replaced the PSO2 teaser with the original PSO trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyEnJCgTZds

No, the first teaser only hinted vaguely at "global support".

Yeah, I was looking it up on youtube and when I didn't find anything I realized my mistake.

ezodagrom

I had always seen PSO as a loot game, perhaps the original and then PSPortable series huge amounts of content spoiled me, but this game's total lack of new shit is turning me off many hours into it. Seems especially weird when theres not even that much "spend your real money" stuff for them to actually be making any considerable money from this. Seeeegaaaaaa~

Boss encounters are the only highlight, everything else just feels super boring. Is pushing me to reinstall the far better Vindictus with the EU version and get further than I did playing through a US laggy proxy (fuck you regional internet!). Just regrinding shit from scratch in an MMO thingy is a hard sell, ensuring I probably wont be touching the english version of this either!

Western press is going to eviscerate the "story". Total re-use of cutscene and level assets for Chapter 0, 1, 2? Wow. Just dont even bother with this animu kawaii titto nurse bullshit next time Sega. That isn't what people liked PSO for and a big reason why PSU was such a fluff on the first go. Cool shit happens intro, speech bubbles, cryptic data logs, bam, go down to that planet motherfucker and kill. If you want to make a voiced and cutscene filled space RPG, there are original Phantasy Star fans to be found sobbing in abandonment across the globe.
When PSO was first released, it didn't have the huge amount of content you talk about, it only had Episode 1 up to Very Hard mode.
PSO2 is a game that will keep evolving with content updates, there's already a new area with a new mini-boss and a new boss coming next week, July 18.

About the anime style of the game, the Phantasy Star series always had an anime style to the characters, deal with it. Plus anime is big in Japan, and Japanese players are the target audience for the game.

The first PSO2 teaser trailer proposed us a truly connected, worldwide online game that shattered language barriers, something the original PSO did more than 10 years ago. I wonder what changed during development that made them not deliver on those promises.
No, the first teaser only hinted vaguely at "global support".

I must have run forest and caves a billion times in pso 1 just for loot and I loved every moment of it, PSU I did the same but something about that game was just not as good, non rhythmic attacks plays a huge part of pso's combat and in the early days psu lacked it completely.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Sakai said in the interview that it's a legal problem since the game payment model is built around selling specific items.

FINALLY cleared all the Matter Boards. Clearing COs during the item search allowed me to get my Ranger from 23 to 25 without even using him.

New update to my minus PSO2 folder:
iXLbwqnOlbZzk.png

Since there was no teleport getting there was harder than it looks. Took me about 5-10 minutes.

ibmKx95RvUfcNX.png

A bit from a Story Quest.

ivPKrEyyVLwju.png

Solo fight with an infected lv. 40 Vol Dragon. Took me about 3 tries to get him due to my carelessness.

izhXKe0JuOMfD.png

Of course farming items for the last EX Drink for Lola just couldn't be easy. Berserk Snow Panther... Uh.

ibtqaisShMxl56.png

Said Matter Boards.

Ranger is really fun in this game, you start with a good mix of shot skills too which is nice, locking on while using skills is cramping up my left hand on the keyboard but its not something I can't get used too, will try pad play tonight after work.

Also runs amazing on my now moderate c2d and gtx 260, 60fps in most places with stutter while loading lots of players.

PSO is back bitches!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Ranger is really fun in this game, you start with a good mix of shot skills too which is nice, locking on while using skills is cramping up my left hand on the keyboard but its not something I can't get used too, will try pad play tonight after work.

Also runs amazing on my now moderate c2d and gtx 260, 60fps in most places with stutter while loading lots of players.

PSO is back bitches!
Locking on? I'm using the over the shoulder aiming mode (Z) 90% of the time while playing my Ranger.

VariantX

speaking of rangers, has anyone definitively proven that shooting some monsters in the head in over the shoulder mode does more damage?

Nishastra

Banned
There's no question. You even have skills that increase the percentage of extra damage done when you hit the weak point...

It's not always "the head", but every enemy takes far more damage in some spot (or a couple of spots on some big enemies) than in others.

Top Bottom