• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online 2 Import |OT| YOUR MAJESTY

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
speaking of rangers, has anyone definitively proven that shooting some monsters in the head in over the shoulder mode does more damage?
Some? Yes. Like bosses, because head is their weak spot in most cases.
As for normal enemies, I have no idea.

Nishastra

Banned
Every enemy has a weak point. For "natural" types it usually is the head, with a couple of exceptions (spinny beetle things in tundra it's on their back). Vol Dragon has three weak points: the two horns on his head and the big spikey ball on his tail. Big yetis have one on their face and one on their butt.

All dark enemies have a glowing red bit that is their weak point. On the normal little ones, it's on their belly.

Similarly, all robots have a blue bit that is their weak point. It's on top in the middle for the quadrupeds and between the torso and legs on the bipeds.

Edit: Oh, and the big guys in caves with the huge spikes coming from their shoulders. Their weak point is the head, but if their shield is up, you have to hit the spikes until they break or you'll do garbage damage no matter where you hit :p

Locking on? I'm using the over the shoulder aiming mode (Z) 90% of the time while playing my Ranger.

I use it sometimes but it depends, it's fun to jump with a lockon and just fire away all dramatically. It's really nice that sega added in that 3rd person shooter camera though and I thank them for it.

BTW people, on ship 6 ID: Diablohead / DiabloUK

Once ship 2 allows new characters again I will be female human (or newman) ranger, right now rocking my old school human RAmar dudebro.

VariantX

Every enemy has a weak point. For "natural" types it usually is the head, with a couple of exceptions (spinny beetle things in tundra it's on their back). Vol Dragon has three weak points: the two horns on his head and the big spikey ball on his tail. Big yetis have one on their face and one on their butt.

All dark enemies have a glowing red bit that is their weak point. On the normal little ones, it's on their belly.

Similarly, all robots have a blue bit that is their weak point. It's on top in the middle for the quadrupeds and between the torso and legs on the bipeds.

Edit: Oh, and the big guys in caves with the huge spikes coming from their shoulders. Their weak point is the head, but if their shield is up, you have to hit the spikes until they break or you'll do garbage damage no matter where you hit :p

Ooh nice to have some confirmation on that, as soon as I finish re-downloading the client, im gonna go ranger for a bit.

Ranger is really fun in this game, you start with a good mix of shot skills too which is nice, locking on while using skills is cramping up my left hand on the keyboard but its not something I can't get used too, will try pad play tonight after work.

Also runs amazing on my now moderate c2d and gtx 260, 60fps in most places with stutter while loading lots of players.

PSO is back bitches!

I've been playing with my 360 controller since day 1. I'm lazy, so I play 3rd person mode most of the time. It actually works pretty well thanks to auto-aim. I can paint weak points easily just by shooting in the general location of where I want to shoot. The downside is that mobs can easily fuck your aim up.

One thing I really like and only just discovered is adding stuff to the slots on your armour can change your look, should help keep people looking unique and it's like that old pso mag design when it was going to cover more parts of your body.

Most stuff I have done without a guide also, the game is really easy to play without reading anything.

You can't deny how cute I am.

I'm so damm cute I do not die underwater, because water loves me too.

pso20120714_000500_00e7xt0.jpg

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Keiichan said:
Since there was no teleport getting there was harder than it looks. Took me about 5-10 minutes.
You can dash cancel the top spin down on the partisan, dunno if that would have helped you get the key thing though.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
You can dash cancel the top spin down on the partisan, dunno if that would have helped you get the key thing though.
I've dash-cancelled the flurry gunslash attack, since it was the only one that kept me in air long enough to do it properly. I'm really curious if there was a way to get there only with perfect timed jumps.

I hate this game with a passion now. How could it troll me so badly. I was running a few missions since I got bored and had nothing else to play, when I get to a point when the game starts to get pretty character heavy and it suddenly tells me my laptop can't handle the game anymore. Why couldn't it just tell me upfront that it couldn't handle it from the start.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I hate this game with a passion now. How could it troll me so badly. I was running a few missions since I got bored and had nothing else to play, when I get to a point when the game starts to get pretty character heavy and it suddenly tells me my laptop can't handle the game anymore. Why couldn't it just tell me upfront that it couldn't handle it from the start.
Didn't your computer just get too hot?
I know you could boil an egg on mine after a long PSO2 session.

I did have that problem in the beginning, but all it did was just go into sleep mode. When this happened it just closed the window and said that my visual unit failed. Well, I guess that just motivated me to actually upgrade my desktop now, as I've been procrastinating for a while now.

If you own DXTORY you could force the frame rate to 30fps to keep your system powers down, that's if you were above that before now.

*edit* damn ipad auto correct is annoying.

Talking about that, 2 things I forced via drivers:

1. Vsync. Nvidia adaptative doesn't seem to work fine with this game, so plain 60fps. Since this engine can render a shitload of frames due to no heavy shaders or bandwith hogs bottlenecking the performance, GPU's can run very hot without it, and screen tear is unberable.

2. Aniso x16. Game doesn't have built-in AF. Things look prettier now.

3. Also I forced higher AA, but should test more if worth it.

More Tweaks anyone?

ezodagrom

1. Vsync. Nvidia adaptative doesn't seem to work fine with this game, so plain 60fps. Since this engine can render a shitload of frames due to no heavy shaders or bandwith hogs bottlenecking the performance, GPU's can run very hot without it, and screen tear is unberable.
While there's no VSync in the game, there's an option for Virtual Full Screen, in good enough PCs you'll get pretty much the same performance as in proper Full Screen, plus you'll get faster alt tabbing. When running at Virtual Full Screen, there's no screen tearing.
In this mode you can't choose the resolution though, the game will run directly at your screen's native resolution.

In the graphics settings, where you can choose window mode or full screen, it's the 3rd option, the one that greys out the resolution.

You can also open up your character data file with a notepad program (notepad++) and change a lot of values much easier since it is all in English.

Hope this helps a few people, there are a lot of cool settings you can change!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Emergency maintenance tomorrow from 8:30 am to 9:30 am JST. If someone could convert it, since I'm typing from a phone...

Nishastra

Banned
Whew. Game's being mean to me again.

Was doing hard free forest and got a Ragne duel, which is far from unusual, but then in the next room I got another Ragne duel that changed over into a third Ragne duel :p

Well, at least now I only need to find two more Rappies for the SP quest.

While there's no VSync in the game, there's an option for Virtual Full Screen, in good enough PCs you'll get pretty much the same performance as in proper Full Screen, plus you'll get faster alt tabbing. When running at Virtual Full Screen, there's no screen tearing.
In this mode you can't choose the resolution though, the game will run directly at your screen's native resolution.

In the graphics settings, where you can choose window mode or full screen, it's the 3rd option, the one that greys out the resolution.

I have my doubts it will have the same performance as Full Screen. Of course it will be able to hold up 60 fps in a strong enough GPU, but it will take more resources as well.

Summer here, don't want to stress my PC more than I'm doing already.

If not for Steam sales, I would be checking that mode anyway.

I have my doubts it will have the same performance as Full Screen. Of course it will be able to hold up 60 fps in a strong enough GPU, but it will take more resources as well.

Summer here, don't want to stress my PC more than I'm doing already.

If not for Steam sales, I would be checking that mode anyway.

I run everything in windowed full screen (or flat-out in a window) when possible and never have any performance issues.

It should be open after the maintenance next week, but don't quote me on that.

I'm still quoting you, to say that I hope it's true.
I couldn't run the game because of errors so I could only create a character on Ship 6...but I really would like to go Ship 2 and have a ton of NeoGAF players.

So for now I'm considering not play that much until I can create on Ship 2 and restart everything. The sooner the better.

I now have a mag, this thing feels so much slower to feed then pso but that's ok.

I'm still quoting you, to say that I hope it's true.
I couldn't run the game because of errors so I could only create a character on Ship 6...but I really would like to go Ship 2 and have a ton of NeoGAF players.

So for now I'm considering not play that much until I can create on Ship 2 and restart everything. The sooner the better.

i'm on ship 6 currently if you want to team up at some point. Waiting for ship 2 access before I play much more then I do now (which is still a lot)

Pietepiet

Managed to get through the updater, but now everything seems to take forever. I give up :( Guess it's a problem with my ISP. Hopefully it'll be solved soon. It worked like a charm last week.

davimon

Any neogaf team leaders on at the moment? I'd like an invite to the team if possible!

Character name is R, player name is dabe2, level 40 hunter (yes, I play too much)

Edit: Thanks for the invite Netto-kun

Nishastra

Banned
What the hell are you supposed to do about the big cats in tundra?

I just got a duel with two of them, and it's basically all I can do to even stay alive.

I noticed that shooting the blades off their feet makes them stumble, but...

I just got a duel with two of them, and it's basically all I can do to even stay alive.

You can try luring them into the alcove with the pillar. I notice they don't really leap around if they're over there. I haven't done it solo yet, but that was my go-to strategy when dealing with those bosses.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?

Shoot all 4 of their claws and then aim for the head. This is a ridiculous boss to fight solo, but if there are at least 2 players, it turns into a mere annoyance.
And yeah, fighting in the narrow space seems a bit easier.

Nishastra

Banned
You can try luring them into the alcove with the pillar. I notice they don't really leap around if they're over there. I haven't done it solo yet, but that was my go-to strategy when dealing with those bosses.
Hahaha. That's exactly how I finally beat one, a pillar.

There has to be some actual correct way to fight them though, right...? :p

They're so fast and they don't telegraph their lunging attacks at all, the only way to avoid them is to just be waiting to dodge, not attacking.

Shoot all 4 of their claws and then aim for the head. This is a ridiculous boss to fight solo, but if there are at least 2 players, it turns into a mere annoyance.
And yeah, fighting in the narrow space seems a bit easier.
Yeah, I figured out the weakness eventually. Doesn't help that they have relatively small heads, though :p

Nishastra

Banned
Well, I give up for now. When the second one steps in, it all falls apart.

I can beat one, but not two. Seems like my only hope at that point is to kill the first one ASAP, but it's not like you have any time to be spending doing anything other than running away :p

I just realized last night that you can only make 1 character over all 10 ships, not 1 on each. While waiting for ship 2 to get it's creation open again I might as well just test things out on my 'temp' character, or buy some ark cash.

Also I can't believe how lite this thing is running on my pc, my processor is still at 40c and my gpu is only at 60c, it's like i'm watching youtube or not even playing a game at all, to compare playing dirt 3 my pc will get to 65c and 80+ after about 10 minutes.

Well, I give up for now. When the second one steps in, it all falls apart.

I can beat one, but not two. Seems like my only hope at that point is to kill the first one ASAP, but it's not like you have any time to be spending doing anything other than running away :p

I don't know man, I got one alone, the lesser version, the other one was way across the map. I knock off 4 of the claws off pretty sure was almost dead. Then suddenly the big one comes out of no where to rescue and I couldn't even do anything but try to survive but died without killing the first one.

Top Bottom